Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Testekill posted:

Better than google.

I'm just glad that Google isn't buying up all the streaming services and forcing us to stream on YouTube only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Attestant posted:

I'm just glad that Google isn't buying up all the streaming services and forcing us to stream on YouTube only.

This has probably been went over, but how IS the YT streaming feature? I've never used it. I tried ONCE when it was fairly new, and it was pretty garbage. Has it gotten better at all in terms of quality? And if so, is there a huge delay like Twitch?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
YouTube streaming is meant for conferences and events. It's not designed for low-latency at all; there's a good 2 minutes of delay.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The Twitch delay really isn't that bad, like 20 seconds at its very worst.

Considering that you're recording the video and sending it over a tubes worth of internet for free, it doesn't seem all that unbearable to me.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roar posted:

It's more like 20 seconds at its very best. I still run into streams that have upward of 45 seconds delay regularly. If you're trying to communicate with co-commentators or the stream chat that's pretty unbearable.

e: Especially considering the fact that Hitbox is so much better in that regard.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 26, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Roar posted:

Considering that you're recording the video and sending it over a tubes worth of internet for free, it doesn't seem all that unbearable to me.

They never used to do it, nobody else does it, it's definitely unbearable.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Roar posted:

JordanKai posted:

It's more like 20 seconds at its very best. I still run into streams that have upward of 45 seconds delay regularly. If you're trying to communicate with co-commentators or the stream chat that's pretty unbearable.

Might be variable - I get things closer to Roar's numbers, but Betus gets things closer to Jordan's. Maybe it depends on host bandwidth, or servers you get (meaning if there's a LoL tournament going on, you're considered low priority, so your video goes out whenever a server gets to it?)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Might be variable - I get things closer to Roar's numbers, but Betus gets things closer to Jordan's. Maybe it depends on host bandwidth, or servers you get (meaning if there's a LoL tournament going on, you're considered low priority, so your video goes out whenever a server gets to it?)

That's because Twitch gives the founder of LP the fast lane.

Bring back Net Neutrality.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
jontron is now doubling down after tim schafer dared to tweet a tropes vs women video

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

jontron is now doubling down after tim schafer dared to tweet a tropes vs women video

Well, that's arguable now, isn't it, Mr. JonTron?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Idiot uses feminist point to argue against feminism, oh boy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The latest Tropes vs Women video is pretty drat nitpicky regardless of Jon's opinion of it. Like her first example of women as background decoration in the latest video is that hooker in Bioshock that turns out to be Jack's biological mother. Then she goes on to say that the developers of LA Noire beautified a woman's corpse to be attractive to men.

edit: And, as more evidence she doesn't play the games, she listed Bayonetta's only pro as being a single mom which is not true at all I don't think.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 26, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

CJacobs posted:

edit: And, as more evidence she doesn't play the games, she listed Bayonetta's only pro as being a single mom which is not true at all I don't think.

She isn't at all. I don't know if you want spoilers, but that child is not hers at all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CJacobs posted:

The latest Tropes vs Women video is pretty drat nitpicky regardless of Jon's opinion of it. Like her first example of women as background decoration in the latest video is that hooker in Bioshock that turns out to be Jack's biological mother. Then she goes on to say that the developers of LA Noire beautified a woman's corpse to be attractive to men.

Feminist Frequency is pretty basic intro-level 101 feminism that doesn't dig very deep.

Which makes it all the more hilarious and sad that gamers feel so ridiculously threatened by it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Which makes it all the more hilarious and sad that gamers feel so ridiculously threatened by it.

I don't really see what there is to feel threatened by.

Haha she said Red Dead Redemption is a misogynist game. People actually listen to this crap? It's seriously pure clickbait.

edit: vvv Excellent retort I am defeated

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 26, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

CJacobs posted:

Haha she said Red Dead Redemption is a misogynist game. People actually listen to this crap? It's seriously pure clickbait.

You're really dumb.

edit: Its obviously entry level feminist discourse, because gaming is only just starting to talk about this stuff as an industry so its at an entry level stage. Also gamers are so utterly clueless about everything around gender equality you have to start from the very beginning. You have to have the foundation before you can build up further.

I don't see how its click bait when its content that was crowd funded and people paid to have made and when the videos aren't monetised (i don't get ads at the start or end of videos nor do i get the pop up ads and i don't run adblock).

Stux fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 26, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Feminist Frequency is pretty basic intro-level 101 feminism that doesn't dig very deep.

Yup.

CJacobs posted:

:allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

I don't see how its click bait when its content that was crowd funded and people paid to have made and when the videos aren't monetised (i don't get ads at the start or end of videos nor do i get the pop up ads and i don't run adblock).

Perhaps calling it clickbait was too mean. So instead of calling it clickbait I'll call it a bunch of examples ranging from "Yeah maybe" to "No what are you talking about" with little actual substance, designed in a way that people are drawn or perhaps baited into watching it, some might say clicking on it.

edit: It's probably better to not get into an argument about this so I'll shut up about it. There are many other better suited places for arguing about this kind of thing (like other websites far far away from here that are not the something awful forums).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 26, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Stux posted:

Don't worry jontron, we all know you are a delicate little easily breakable flower and not a savage
a flower except it's ugly and smells bad

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rita Repulsa posted:

Don't worry jontron, we all know you are a delicate little easily breakable flower and not a savage
a flower except it's ugly and smells bad

Like this one, for instance?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
How about them let's plays eh:letsplay:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well these first few videos are simple because it's (in theory anyway) suppose to be part of a larger series. But considering how slowly she's actually putting these things out it might as well be the whole content.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Roar posted:

I find I get at least 30 seconds, sometimes up to a minute, on the streams I watch. Not to mention twitch streams tend to be choppier, especially when there's some sort of big event going on. Hitbox can be a bit glitchier from time to time, but when it works it works leagues better than Twitch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I am happy that the gaming industry is finally getting called out about how it's built for and by horny, adrenaline-rushed 12-year-olds with terribly sexist fantasies. Unfortunately, Anita isn't really the best person to do it. I'm not threatened by her or her videos at all. It's started some excellent discussion, some of which we're having in this thread right now. I just think that overall, it's a poorly researched series that's just disappointing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Boxturret posted:

How about them let's plays eh:letsplay:

Since when is that smiley a thing? :monocle:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

I just think that overall, it's a poorly researched series that's just disappointing.
Are you suggesting that footage of 47 dragging a random woman around in circles for no readily apparent reason and saying it's sexist solely on the merit that it's a thing you could do (but good luck finding anyone who ever did) and clearly the girls make it look sexy (not to project or anything) isn't a well-considered example of violence against women in particular?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hell i'd say it's more sexist that the first time you see your long time lady friend in Hitman:Absolution she's in the shower for no apparent reason. They could have just as easily had you walk into her office and shoot her in the face but just for sex appeal (or maybe for the artsy looking slow mo after she gets shot)she just happens to be showering and of course falls into a towel as well that completely covers her i believe.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

maswastaken posted:

Are you suggesting that footage of 47 dragging a random woman around in circles for no readily apparent reason and saying it's sexist solely on the merit that it's a thing you could do (but good luck finding anyone who ever did) and clearly the girls make it look sexy (not to project or anything) isn't a well-considered example of violence against women in particular?

I agree with most of the stuff in her videos (it being pretty basic stuff as said previously) but yeah some of the more specific points she makes can be a little bit silly. See: Pointing out that you can kill strippers in Just Cause 2 and people will shoot and you for a bit but then forget about it, when thats the response to literally any crime in any video game

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Woah woah woah hold up. Anita finally released another Tropes vs Women episode? :aaaaa:

That kickstarter was well worth the money eh fellas?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Monicro posted:

I agree with most of the stuff in her videos (it being pretty basic stuff as said previously) but yeah some of the more specific points she makes can be a little bit silly. See: Pointing out that you can kill strippers in Just Cause 2 and people will shoot and you for a bit but then forget about it, when thats the response to literally any crime in any video game

I don't even remember any strippers in Just Cause 2. Where were they?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't even remember any strippers in Just Cause 2. Where were they?

In that big blimp or w/e club that flies around

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Monicro posted:

In that big blimp or w/e club that flies around

I remember seeing some on the top of that really really tall building, but I think some of them were trying to kill you with machine guns there, and to be honest I replicated the same results by shooting a regular civilian which kind of makes the point moot that it is just strippers that the glorious citizens of Panau don't care about getting killed and that her video is just nitpicking and she should be ashamed and hey wait a minute HOW MANY SANDBOX GAMES SET IN MODERN TIMES HAVE STRIPPERS?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jamesman posted:

Woah woah woah hold up. Anita finally released another Tropes vs Women episode? :aaaaa:

That kickstarter was well worth the money eh fellas?

Yes. The amount of nerd rage generated by it is worth every single penny.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
I sincerely hope Slowbeef puts a row of :letsplay: faces in the OP sometime soon.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
No deal

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

Yes. The amount of nerd rage generated by it is worth every single penny.

The only nerd rage I have towards Anita is her :effort: approach towards the whole thing and how much praise and money she gets for it. She is the DSP of feminism.

I wish other people would get out there and do the things she's doing, except much, much better.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Aw come on, live a litte, now rid of the mod façade, you can afford a little vanity

No seriously, why is this smilie a thing.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Now, I think there are valid criticisms to be made, but calling her the DSP of gaming is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I mean, she's accomplished the feat of getting gamers to even consider how females are depicted in video games. Granted, it's mostly negative, but without her efforts, how many people would continue on, never giving it a second thought?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

No seriously, why is this smilie a thing.

Don't look at me!

Jamesman posted:

She is the DSP of feminism.

See, though, she's also generated stuff like this. (Please do not neglect to notice the title.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZSvOejPqs

Like I know RP'ing her would probably get us a lot of views and poo poo, but it's like shaking hands with the devil to be on that guy's side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jamesman posted:

She is the DSP of feminism.

Hey, that's a bit harsh--her videos are editted.

But honestly, I'm glad Sarkeesian is doing what she's doing, faults aside. It's already been said, but I agree that the industry has been hurting for even some basic criticism, so I think they're a great introductory tool. It's also already been said, but I too would love to see more advanced, more researched material in the same vein released.

• Locked thread