Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

jBrereton posted:

This seems like 20th century people trying to make things sound less retarded to a skeptical but very dumb audience.

Why would "a young woman will have this baby" ever be a part of a prophecy in antiquity?

That was so normal at the time that you wouldn't even mention it.

because, get this: prophecy isn't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of a shame that the lasting and prevailing aftertaste of religion is the miracles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

That certainly explains why the weather report hasn't been right even once this month.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
like one thing you can basically say about any prophecy that has ever actually been claimed to have been fulfilled is that it is either something that could have been easily predicted through non-mystical means or it is so vague that it probably doesn't really predict anything

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
my dad stickin his dick up my mum's oval office during pregnancy does that mean i'm a gay fetus?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

like one thing you can basically say about any prophecy that has ever actually been claimed to have been fulfilled is that it is either something that could have been easily predicted through non-mystical means or it is so vague that it probably doesn't really predict anything

god wants to warn us about things, but only in a way that makes any sense after the fact, by which point the warning would be useless.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

concerned mom posted:

Actually atheism DOES make you clever. Consider Evolution, which is an atheist theory: it clearly states that we have evolved to become the top of our evolutionary tree. Therefore you are smarter than your parents, who were smarter than their parents.

These are common misconceptions about evolution you're spreading. Let me educate you, dum-dum.

A) Evolution is not an atheist theory. Evolution by artificial selection has been around for thousands of years, which is why we have wheat, apples, and dogs. What creationists refuse to believe in is the Theory of Natural Selection.

B) The Theory of Natural Selection and Darwin's On the Origin of Species predate the modern atheism explosion. Atheism has been around for a long time, too, but really only as a grumbling of intellectuals, until the early 1900s when people were getting satisfactory answers from science and no longer needed God to explain life's mysteries. Evolutionary theory indirectly played a big part in the shift towards atheism, and not the other way around.

C) We have NOT "evolved to become the top of our evolutionary tree", by which I infer you mean that we've evolved to become the best, since evolution is not linear. Monkeys are just as fit in their environment as humans are in ours-- moreso, even. Every currently existing species is at the 'top of its evolutionary tree' so that's term is meaningless.
In the term "survival of the fittest", "fittest" does not mean "best". It means the most fit, and the best fit to the environment. Dinosaurs didn't die out because they were inferior, but because they weren't fit for the world after the KT Extinction Event.

D) Natural selection only happens when 1) unfit organisms die or fail to reproduce and/or 2) fit organisms live and reproduce more.
Natural selection basically stopped happening in the human species with the advent of agriculture, and any changes since have been random and practically non-existent. You aren't smarter than your parents because of evolution

E) You really shouldn't say that a work "clearly states" anything unless you've read it. Educate yourself

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

no your dick comes in contact w/ the inside of your mom's gaping vag at some point or another during childbirth plus sometimes women even cum during because of the pressure
:eyepop:

i have it on good authority that everything the bible says has or will come true just like i hear at least once a week how christians are being persecuted worldwide just like it says somewhere in the bible

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i read some stuff in the bible yesterday for a class and now i'm a christian

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nameless_Steve posted:

A) Evolution is not an atheist theory.
Darwin was an atheist, which de facto makes it one. It doesn't make any statements about the existence of god, but clearly that's not what you judge the atheist-ness of a theory by.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Fandyien posted:

me too

:gas:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

For sure.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Fandyien posted:

Quick flush with several gallons of water and call 911 if there isn't someone who can drive you to the er.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

nomadologique posted:

Quick flush with several gallons of water and call 911 if there isn't someone who can drive you to the er.

you should get baptized but don't do it yourself call a pastor or priest to help out.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

its funny how jesus keeps getting fed up with everyone and being like really explicitly "I don't know why i put up w/you guys" and then he heals the sick

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Fandyien posted:

its funny how jesus keeps getting fed up with everyone and being like really explicitly "I don't know why i put up w/you guys" and then he heals the sick

jesus was beta as gently caress

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Too alpha to live, too omega to die.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Nameless_Steve posted:

Natural selection basically stopped happening in the human species with the advent of agriculture, and any changes since have been random and practically non-existent. You aren't smarter than your parents because of evolution

counterpoint: Eliot Rodger.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I knew you were going to say that

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Darwin was an atheist, which de facto makes it one. It doesn't make any statements about the existence of god, but clearly that's not what you judge the atheist-ness of a theory by.

That only makes it an atheist's theory

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Nameless_Steve posted:

These are common misconceptions about evolution you're spreading. Let me educate you, dum-dum.

A) Evolution is not an atheist theory. Evolution by artificial selection has been around for thousands of years, which is why we have wheat, apples, and dogs. What creationists refuse to believe in is the Theory of Natural Selection.

No, Creationists refuse to believe in Evolution, That's why they fight and fight to get the very word out of science books. They literally believe -according to their beliefs which would be completely shattered if things weren't exactly how their Bible Books For Kids told them they were- that everything was created exactly how it is. Don't make the mistake of conflating people who might believe that a divine being created the universe with Creationists and Intelligent Design Advocates.

Cardiovorax posted:

The more he studied, the more he became an Agnostic but when he developed the theory, he had very firm Theistic/Deistic beliefs. So no, he was not and the theory is not Atheist.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 26, 2014

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

:gas: thread
:gas: atheism
:gas: religion

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Rhymenoserous posted:

she had a baby before she was married which implies sin, checkmate theist.

according to the church, mary never had any other children and was a virgin her entire life.

eSports Chaebol posted:

yeah it's also (probably) the only actually pap ally infalla ble thing

the Assumption of Mary is also papally decreed as doctrine

Miltank posted:

How personal is God in Catholicism? Or rather, to what extent is God like us/in what sense are we made in God 's image? It never really made sense to me that God would have some sort of anthropomorphic personality distinct from Christ.

god has a personality that is human-like. he created humans specifically in his image and takes special interest in us. the trinity holds that there are 'three persons, but one god'. the father, son, and holy spirit are all considered distinct persons. however neither the father nor the holy spirit are believed to have corporeal bodies.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kyrie eleison posted:

god has a personality that is human-like. he created humans specifically in his image and takes special interest in us. the trinity holds that there are 'three persons, but one god'. the father, son, and holy spirit are all considered distinct persons. however neither the father nor the holy spirit are believed to have corporeal bodies.

how is it possible to create a materially existing, physical thing in the image of something that has no physical form?

don't bother replying, i know the answer is something about how god is all-powerful and we don't understand him fully (basically just boils down to "a wizard did it"), the ultimate cop-out excuse for why it all falls apart under the slightest scrutiny

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

how is it possible to create a materially existing, physical thing in the image of something that has no physical form?

don't bother replying, i know the answer is something about how god is all-powerful and we don't understand him fully (basically just boils down to "a wizard did it"), the ultimate cop-out excuse for why it all falls apart under the slightest scrutiny
You could completely create something in God's metaphorical image. It's just still not compatible with Christianity in any way, because it would imply that we are all potentially capable of omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence to some degree, which is very expressly something the Bible does not support.

It does make Mormonism the most Christian of Christian sects, though, I guess.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Then why ask the question?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
No lie, this is easily the most productive religious debate thread GBS has ever had.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

Cause he wants to stick it to religious people cause they're so much dumber than him.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i thought if a thread was rated crap then a mod would come along and put it out of its misery?

Mods?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tautologicus posted:

Cause he wants to stick it to religious people cause they're so much dumber than him.

But none of them are reading it! He's just having conversations with the imaginary people in his head, and I thought the entire point was not to have imaginary conversations with the people in your head.

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

answers are for people who don't have the courage to live with questions

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

But none of them are reading it! He's just having conversations with the imaginary people in his head, and I thought the entire point was not to have imaginary conversations with the people in your head.

I was mostly agreeing with you. People like to take unassailable positions and then take shots at easy targets I guess. It's nice to be right. Very few people want to seek to be wrong.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

the 'image' is our similar mind and personality and sentience, not our corporeal bodies. (although god does have a human corporeal body in the form of jesus)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I mean constantly questioning the basis for any assertion, maybe that wasn't clear. It's a very uncomfortable place to be, especially once it gets close to home. This isn't religious or anti-religious, but does have something to say about both. I think everyone is building a house of cards, and trying to knock others' down.

Anyway, taking shots at the other side in this context isn't helpful to anyone. Especially if they are shots that have been taken countless times before. "Skywizard" "do you believe in unicorns too" "burden of proof is on the believer" bla and bla and bla.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

I was mostly agreeing with you. People like to take unassailable positions and then take shots at easy targets I guess. It's nice to be right. Very few people want to seek to be wrong.

non-religious people make up 16% of the world population, so according to my calculations, 6 billion people seek to be wrong

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Boogaleeboo posted:

he read it and responded to it, so unless you believe he's a collective hallucination you're plainly wrong

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

he read it and responded to it, so unless you believe he's a collective hallucination you're plainly wrong

Like I've called you stupid in this and a lot of other threads, but just to put the nail in the coffin of you being an interesting or worthwhile human being are you seriously telling me you consider kyrie eleison a religious person?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Boogaleeboo posted:

Like I've called you stupid in this and a lot of other threads, but just to put the nail in the coffin of you being an interesting or worthwhile human being are you seriously telling me you consider kyrie eleison a religious person?

are you seriously using a no true scotsman argument while simultaneously posturing about how much smarter and better you are than dumb old me? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is hilarious to watch. Just saying.

• Locked thread