Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I wanted to use a wackier skin to spice up the noob run video, but I can't seem to get them to appear. I can only do it from the Steam Workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Camoes posted:

I wanted to use a wackier skin to spice up the noob run video, but I can't seem to get them to appear. I can only do it from the Steam Workshop.
What's the link?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

SupSuper posted:

What's the link?

http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/car.php?id=1102

This one, for example. I put it in the folder but it doesn't appear in game.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Submitted my time, and I'm pretty proud of it! I've only been racing the Monday night of each track's release, and so a quick touchup on Tuesday and I'm done for this week. I know I'm going to be busy.

I liked this course! A number of little touches that I kept finding to improve to get the best time. That tiny corridor before the turn before the boosters, for example, surprised me with a lot of saved time from finding the right angle to strike it. It's not just the time saved getting through right, it's also keeping up the high speed through the next section that cut my time down.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Camoes posted:

http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/car.php?id=1102

This one, for example. I put it in the folder but it doesn't appear in game.

That was made for Trackmania United, not Trackmania2 so it wont work.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Have to turn in my time now as I won't be able to touch it again before the deadline, but I like my run and don't think I can improve. However, I have another plan for this track which I will share soon enough.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

FillInTheBlank posted:

That was made for Trackmania United, not Trackmania2 so it wont work.

:downs: thanks!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
You want http://www.maniapark.com/ instead.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
this track leaves no margin for error and i hate it

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Gamerofthegame posted:

this track leaves no margin for error and i hate it

But it's really easy so ???

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
It's unforgiving of errors, but I think it could be a lot more punishing and have more errors to commit.

I still don't know how to correctly come down out of the barrel inversion and not fly everywhere. Every time I've done it well, it feels like a fluke. I've never liked barrel inversions anyway, they always feel so janky.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The first drop is killing me - I can get the theory, but it seems random if I land smoothly or not.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

The first drop is killing me - I can get the theory, but it seems random if I land smoothly or not.

You should be able to do it consistently, if you never let go of the gas and just quickly tap the brake when your car is in a good angle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Grey Hunter posted:

You do know you can tap the brake in the air to control how you land, right?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jabor posted:

You do know you can tap the brake in the air to control how you land, right?

Yeah, that's the part that I can't do the same every time - there is an angle you need to be at to land smoothly, and I can only hit it one in ten times at the moment.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This is probably my least favourite track of the season so far but a nice moment was when I worked out the quickest route through the maze.

I like my time so far but still definitely got a couple of seconds to knock off.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, that's the part that I can't do the same every time - there is an angle you need to be at to land smoothly, and I can only hit it one in ten times at the moment.

Something here seems fishy, because it should go smoothly basically in any angle. Keep pressing forward, tap brake, don't turn until you've landed. Maybe try it on keyboard in case your controller does something funky?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Don't forget to keep holding accelerate while tapping the brake.

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON
Nice, I was hoping there would be a new Trackmania goon cup. Normally I would notice these threads only after the season has ended. Not that I have much chance anyway, since I am terrible at video games. Anyway, I look forward to the battle for the last place!

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Try setting up a visual cue for when to stabilize the fall. For example, when my front tires are just over the first curb, that's when I stabilize and I get much more consistent starts. You'll have to find the angle that works best for you, of course. I also use similar things to help figure out when to start braking to avoid drifting.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Great Joe posted:

Don't forget to keep holding accelerate while tapping the brake.

Thistledown posted:

Try setting up a visual cue for when to stabilize the fall. For example, when my front tires are just over the first curb, that's when I stabilize and I get much more consistent starts. You'll have to find the angle that works best for you, of course. I also use similar things to help figure out when to start braking to avoid drifting.

Guess which moron just blew four seconds off his time by following advice.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Some updates:

- Video 2: coming soon!

- People that keep sending in skins from http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/: Stop doing that. You need to use http://www.maniapark.com/ instead.

- Global leaderboards: fixed, hopefully! Since I don't require logins or anything, I kinda have to hope nobody changes names between tracks. So now I'm using your TM names instead, and showing all the times to clarify the maths going on: http://lp.somesingawful.com/Trackmania/

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Dem feels when I jump in and skin 3 seconds off my best time.

When it happened, I had to pause the podcast and cheer!:woop:

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
I wish I had 3 seconds left to gain. I'm looking at maybe half a second realistically. And it's all a bunch of small, execution heavy improvements. :smith:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Thistledown posted:

I wish I had 3 seconds left to gain. I'm looking at maybe half a second realistically. And it's all a bunch of small, execution heavy improvements. :smith:

Yep. I'd straight up have to change my entire route to shave off much more of my current time.

*EDIT*
I TAKE IT BACK.

I JUST SHAVED NEARLY 2 SECONDS OFF MY TIME.

AND I JUST HAD TO DO THE SAME THING I WAS DOING, BUT BETTER.

HOLY poo poo.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 29, 2014

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Had to send my time in since I'm going on holiday and not going to be able to try get a faster time. I can see so much to improve in my run too :arghfist:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Yep. I'd straight up have to change my entire route to shave off much more of my current time.

*EDIT*
I TAKE IT BACK.

I JUST SHAVED NEARLY 2 SECONDS OFF MY TIME.

AND I JUST HAD TO DO THE SAME THING I WAS DOING, BUT BETTER.

HOLY poo poo.

Nearly 3 and a half seconds when all was said and done, and I still think it could have been better.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just shaved a half second off my time.

...I have no idea how. It seemed like an incredibly sloppy run that was barely holding on, then at one of the checkpoints I found myself ahead by half a second and I have no idea why or what I did.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Guess which moron just blew four seconds off his time by following advice.
:thumbsup:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

After the fix for aas bandit&others, my times are now wrong.

Changing the capitalization on my TM name from lowen to Lowen messed up my track 2 & 3 times, it's giving me the DNF defaults, apparently.

Also is there still room on the goon track? I'd like to do a thing.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Race 2 - Baconic Rites

HD ~ SD ~ YouTube ~ TM-Tube

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Oh hey, I'm middle tier! Almost the last of them but I'll take it as a compliment :v:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Can we penalise Entropist since he gets extra time to play the tracks since he makes them.

I think that would be fair for us all.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

FillInTheBlank posted:

Can we penalise Entropist since he gets extra time to play the tracks since he makes them.

I think that would be fair for us all.

The sad thing is that he'll still win.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'm the only person in the scrub-tier that took the shortcut near the end?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:stare:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I tried that about a dozen times before I decided it was too loving hard and totally not worth it.

Figures the robot would do that.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Strong Mouse posted:

I'm the only person in the scrub-tier that took the shortcut near the end?

I managed to nail it in several of my runs, but never with enough consistency to make it something to try for every time, especially if I already had a good run going.

Swear to god Entropist has his acceleration values tweaked up or some poo poo. :argh:

(No, I know he's just that good.)

Foozle
May 29, 2006

Thistledown posted:

It's unforgiving of errors, but I think it could be a lot more punishing and have more errors to commit.

I still don't know how to correctly come down out of the barrel inversion and not fly everywhere. Every time I've done it well, it feels like a fluke. I've never liked barrel inversions anyway, they always feel so janky.

Pretty much this. At least for me, your mom was a lot more forgiving about minor errors due to the fact that it wasn't as focused on getting and keeping speed. I still haven't figured out where to aim in the inversion well enough to even get through it more than half the time and then it's a crapshoot whether I can maintain any control into the open area at the bottom.

I get the impression that's going to be another one where I drop a second or two when I either luck my way through a perfect line or finally grok the mechanics at work. This week has been awful for free time, so I doubt I'll be able to brute-force my way to another good time for this track. So it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Foozle posted:

I still haven't figured out where to aim in the inversion well enough to even get through it more than half the time and then it's a crapshoot whether I can maintain any control into the open area at the bottom.

It should go something like this:
http://shootymcgunshot.com/tmfiles/SA7%20-%20Artificial%20Datastream_Inversion.webm

• Locked thread