Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I keep hearing everywhere that they're universally considered not good for the most part, but also one hit kill combos that are as long as Litchi combos from the second BB don't look fun either

TBF, the whole point is that you need to get full meter first. You won't be stuck in a shadow burst TOD combo unless you mess up enough times so they can build meter with low damage combos. If you do well against a shadow character they'll still get meter, but only when they're down 1 round and haven't done anything yet.

Honestly I wasn't sold on shadow characters but they seem like they're going to have a meaningful impact on how you play matchups compared to their non-shadow counterparts. It should spice things up even if only a few shadow characters are actually good. From what I've heard Kanji, Mitsuru, Chie, Naoto and Narukami are all good shadow characters, and there's Labrys that can set up unblockables (though she's still bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

double post, oops

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there a decent LP of Persona 4 Arena? I checked the LP Archive, but i can't seem to find one.

The ones on youtube are really hit and miss in terms of quality (most seem unfinished).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Feinne did an LP of it a while ago. I know nothing of the quality of it, but Feinne also LPed P3P and P4 and those are archived and he seems like a cool dude.

Volty
Jul 25, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Feinne did an LP of it a while ago. I know nothing of the quality of it, but Feinne also LPed P3P and P4 and those are archived and he seems like a cool dude.

He did a pretty good job, I'd say. It's a very by-the-basics sort of playthrough, showing off all the dialog in all the story routes with accompanying gameplay videos and mild commentary. If you want the story I'd recommend it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I keep hearing everywhere that they're universally considered not good for the most part, but also one hit kill combos that are as long as Litchi combos from the second BB don't look fun either

The not so obvious part of this is that Liz has to use a Burst to setup her IK combo, which means she can't Burst out of S.Mitsuru's stupid kill combo. Sensible players (or non-lovely characters might be more accurate) sit on their burst against Shadow characters to help prevent stuff like that from happening. That's one of the big reasons Shadow characters are really bad overall.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I managed to use Elizabeth's Instant Kill just once. I don't know how I did it. I haven't managed to do them all, but most of 'em

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

apple posted:

TBF, the whole point is that you need to get full meter first. You won't be stuck in a shadow burst TOD combo unless you mess up enough times so they can build meter with low damage combos. If you do well against a shadow character they'll still get meter, but only when they're down 1 round and haven't done anything yet.

Honestly I wasn't sold on shadow characters but they seem like they're going to have a meaningful impact on how you play matchups compared to their non-shadow counterparts. It should spice things up even if only a few shadow characters are actually good. From what I've heard Kanji, Mitsuru, Chie, Naoto and Narukami are all good shadow characters, and there's Labrys that can set up unblockables (though she's still bad).

S.Kanji's not really top, because he really, really wants Kanji's new autocombo and he can only chain two supers together, giving your opponent more opportunities to burst. Normal Kanji's high health means the Shadow health buff is less significant (the Awakening defense boost is stronger for Kanji). He's not bad, but I wouldn't really put him above mid-tier right now.

Shadow Rise might be an interesting one - I don't know if she can do Arrow Rain/Risette Field > OMC > unblockable super, but she should at the very least be able to combo into the super in the corner.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Depending on how well Kanji can bait bursts (I haven't played P4A, so) I imagine S.Kanji could basically command grab, get to the corner, set up b8 and then go berserk for crazy damage leading to easily readable yomi situation of DP vs movement specials vs supers, thus allowing for ez 360s.

It's true though that Shadows aren't anything special round 1 - it seems like if you want to do well with Shadow you need to work extra hard to win the first round without meter in order to go all in on the 2nd, kind of like the stars system in HNK.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

apple posted:

From what I've heard Kanji, Mitsuru, Chie, Naoto and Narukami are all good shadow characters, and there's Labrys that can set up unblockables (though she's still bad).

I'm actually curious where you heard that, because what I've picked up is that S.Kanji is kinda regarded as a joke character. Regular Kanji is already pretty bad (second/third worst last I heard) after taking a bunch of nerfs to the back of the head, and the ability to convert random hits into 5.5k doesn't really strike me as being worth losing so much offensive and defensive flexibility.

(Seriously, I haven't heard a single good word said except for in this thread, I want to know what you know.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Kanji is definitely more capable than you're giving him credit for.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Does Ultimax have Arena's story mode in it too or is it just the new stuff?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

Does Ultimax have Arena's story mode in it too or is it just the new stuff?

There is a DLC where you can get the Arena story too and I think it's free with pre-orders, but I don't remember the details on it very well.

apple
May 18, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

I'm actually curious where you heard that, because what I've picked up is that S.Kanji is kinda regarded as a joke character. Regular Kanji is already pretty bad (second/third worst last I heard) after taking a bunch of nerfs to the back of the head, and the ability to convert random hits into 5.5k doesn't really strike me as being worth losing so much offensive and defensive flexibility.

(Seriously, I haven't heard a single good word said except for in this thread, I want to know what you know.)

He definitely doesn't seem like a joke character, at worst he's just the "weakest" of the viable shadow characters currently. It's always nice for a grappler character to have a "pause button" to confirm into command grabs, and Kanji's pretty good at doing hard to burst/unburstable combos, he just tends to require OMB or awakening to set it up right. Shadow Kanji can still hit like a truck with FC starters, and if he has shadow burst he can add around 3.2k at the end of his combos (SB Chair>Chair>OMC>SB 720). It sounds par for the course for shadow characters but if you're starting combos with ground or anti-air command grabs, having the option to add a huge chunk of damage off of those is pretty neat.

You can't underestimate the health boost shadow characters get either, Kanji's base health is already massive, that extra 2000 hp on top of it is always gonna be there to help you tank hits (where normally another shadow character would just skip over your awakening threshold with a combo).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

I think Kanji is definitely more capable than you're giving him credit for.

See, I don't know. When you manage to get a bunch of JP players (including FAB) to rail on him relentlessly, I kind of get a bad feeling about it. I know listening to top player commentary on character placement is a bad habit to get into, but there's something in it being so everpresent.

All of those are good points (though the pause button at neutral isn't a thing anymore, but there's a lot to be said about losing the fear of high burst damage from a command throw, as well his general throw game getting way weaker thanks to the loss of throw invuln on them too. It just seems a bit much. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the top player reactions.

apple
May 18, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

All of those are good points (though the pause button at neutral isn't a thing anymore, but there's a lot to be said about losing the fear of high burst damage from a command throw, as well his general throw game getting way weaker thanks to the loss of throw invuln on them too. It just seems a bit much. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the top player reactions.

His C throw lost invul, but his SB version had invul added in

Just try him out once you get the game :v:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Mio Bison posted:

I'm shocked that nobody linked this match video of Persona 4 Arena 2 which is an extremely honest game that I look forward to playing seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4GQEZLJE4

I thought Elizabeth's Mind Charge was supposed to leave her with blue health, but it looks like she's just losing all of her health to get into Awakening.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chaotic Flame posted:

I thought Elizabeth's Mind Charge was supposed to leave her with blue health, but it looks like she's just losing all of her health to get into Awakening.

I reviewed my entry and realized that Liz in fact lost the blue health properties of Mind Charge, which is what the character is based around, lol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess they really want you to get it back with Diarahan, though it's not like Liz needed any help being terrible.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Beef Waifu posted:

I reviewed my entry and realized that Liz in fact lost the blue health properties of Mind Charge, which is what the character is based around, lol.

I thought blue health still stayed from B version, but B version was too slow to be useful.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Fun posted:

I thought blue health still stayed from B version, but B version was too slow to be useful.

From the videos I've been seeing it looks like the B version doesn't leave a ton of Blue Health honestly. There seems to be some contention whether or not the SB Verison is worthwhile (A lot of people are saying it's dead weight), but I have yet to see anyone say exactly what's the difference between it and the others, I presume it's fast and gives blue health, but I can't really find anything about it.

MrAristocrates posted:

I guess they really want you to get it back with Diarahan, though it's not like Liz needed any help being terrible.

From what I've been seeing of general reception, Liz is kind of worse in Ultimax which is really funny.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Beef Waifu posted:

From what I've been seeing of general reception, Liz is kind of worse in Ultimax which is really funny.

And sad. :(

Poor Elizabeth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, whatever helps me get revenge with Kanji. :unsmigghh:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So hey who all is grabbing Japanese digital?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheManSeries posted:

So hey who all is grabbing Japanese digital?

I will be splitting it with some nerd friends.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Game is available through PSN Webstore. Here is the link, have at it guys, should be available on console shortly.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...aystation-store

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I'm dumb

WilltheMagicAsian fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 28, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god, Minazuki is so much fun.

Mborg009
Sep 17, 2009

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

I am still down to game share with someone if anyone needs a cheapish copy.

I'm in the market for a cheapish copy. So if the offer is still valid I'll take it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Out of the new characters, nobody's clicked with me yet. Sho is pretty entertaining, but the automatic B followup thing really throws off my timing, and his 236BB jc is weird. Maybe he'll click some more with some lab time.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Mborg009 posted:

I'm in the market for a cheapish copy. So if the offer is still valid I'll take it.

is $30 cheap enough? Do you have LINE, or maybe we could do this over Steam.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Sho is definitely my new main. He's so fun.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Yeah I'm enjoying Minazuki, but I may play Shadow Mitsuru for that double kick combo.

Yeah the long 2 hit normals really throw me off when playing him.

WilltheMagicAsian fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 28, 2014

Mborg009
Sep 17, 2009

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

is $30 cheap enough? Do you have LINE, or maybe we could do this over Steam.

That's a really good deal. I don't have a line but I am on Steam. I think I am on there as mdcdet. Add me there and we can talk.

EDIT: Thanks a lot!

Mborg009 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 28, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wow, even the story mode has English voices.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh wow, even the story mode has English voices.

Wait, the Japanese story mode is in English? Are we not getting dual-audio for it?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Excels posted:

Wait, the Japanese story mode is in English?

Yeah dude region free. But Arena had both japanese and english voices but it was region locked so that's why people were angry because Atlus didn't wanna compromise NA sales.

Edit: VVV That's loving weird.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 28, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

Wait, the Japanese story mode is in English?

English voices, yeah, the script is actually on the disc too, but I can't seem to change the text language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

P4U let you switch text to English iirc

Can't seem to find that option in P4U2 though. Does anyone know what that network option is?

WilltheMagicAsian fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread