Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh yeah. It would be incredible if dominions had a quality like Forbidden island, where as you go, more and more provinces become so utterly torn apart that you can't even use them or move through them--as a fallout from what you're describing.

Maybe the whole world falls away until all that's left are islands in the void, only able to spit at each other from afar. Sure, it would probably result in more 'draw' matches. Though, frankly, with all the teleporting and summoning and stuff in the late game, I would think it could work fine.

People might finally use Dome rituals if that were the case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh yeah. It would be incredible if dominions had a quality like Forbidden island, where as you go, more and more provinces become so utterly torn apart that you can't even use them or move through them--as a fallout from what you're describing.

Maybe the whole world falls away until all that's left are islands in the void, only able to spit at each other from afar. Sure, it would probably result in more 'draw' matches. Though, frankly, with all the teleporting and summoning and stuff in the late game, I would think it could work fine.

This actually isn't that bad because of the throne mechanic they introduced in Dominions 4. Very few dominions 3 games ever actually reached the "end" simply because the only way to win was to wipe everyone else off the map. But with thrones, it's a way to force victory well before you actually kill everyone else (not that many Goons do this anyway as part of their victory lap). But I have been in games where even if someone wasn't technically "winning" by provinces/income/gems, they stole the victory under everyone's noses by rushing thrones in 1-2 turns.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

quote:

After completing Dominions 3 we were a bit tired of making Dominions, so starting with Dominions 4 then was out of the question. Also, Johan got a new full-time job at Sony Ericsson then and got his programming needs fulfilled there. Many Dominions 3 patches and a long break later we got inspiration for making a new game again, but we wanted something different from our earlier projects. So we started with Trade & Taint.

Trade & Taint was just a preliminary name, but we never figured out a better one. It was a real time multiplayer online game, like a MMORPG, but not massive and with no 3d characters. The game took a lot of inspiration from Star Sonata, a great little game by the way.

The concept was to buy a party of soldiers and donkeys and then transport goods between villages, making money by buying cheap and selling were the demand was high. After a while you would be rich enough to start your own colonies and create mines there if the place is mineral-rich or maybe plant fields and sell oats. It was still an Illwinter game, so we had magic and horrors, too. When you had a colony you could create a wizard's tower and have your mages perform magic rituals, craft items, and enchant your surroundings. We had global rituals too, like meteorstorms that made a meteor crash down on the world every minute or so. The meteor storms looked very apocalyptic and were devastating for everyone but the horrors.

Performing magic made the world more tainted and enough taint resulted in horrors appearing. First came a few, then came some more, and finally there was an apocalypse of horrors that destroyed settlements, player colonies, and eventually the entire world. It was, however, a bit too ambitious and it felt impossible to finish, so it got laid aside.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Be EA Agartha and cast Unleash Imprisoned Ones; it nukes your cap's pop and gives you about 300 mixed umbrals and penumbrals as well as spawning 3 neutral God Vessels that turn into Legions of Gods on death randomly around the map (they appeared on enemy capitols when I casted it in Dumbinions so they might always do that?). The God Vessels are basically undead titans\pgod chassi and the Legions of Gods are basically doom horrors. Oh and they wander from province to province randomly eating population, raising unrest and murdering military units.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This was actually a common problem in dominions 3. You could law waste to the world until there was basically 0 population or gold income left anywhere in the world. This was problematic because it meant that fighting over provinces was almost irrelevant. Fighting over provinces is the key interaction in the game. Infinite gem generators were a big part of this stalemate scenario. Once all the gold income in the world vanished, if half the gem income in the world lived off map in a laboratory screen there was basically no longer any way to break the stalemate.

I'm glad dominions 4 doesn't have infinite gem gens, AND it has throne victories.
In dominions 3 killing all the people in the world was actually very very boring and lame, hopefully in dominions 4 games it's actually fun.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Domes on your cap/throne provinces isn't a bad idea. Because you counter, say, people raining toads on your cap.

Or spamming assassination spells at you.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Domes on your cap/throne provinces isn't a bad idea. Because you counter, say, people raining toads on your cap.

True, but the dome spells start at Enhance 6, while rain of toads is at blood 5. So there's always going to be a period of time where you're vulnerable. And it could be a long time, depending on your other research needs.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Fortunately attack spells have limited ranges in this game, making it hard for an enemy's cap-only mages to spam attacks at lots of enemy provinces.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Speleothing posted:

Fortunately attack spells have limited ranges in this game, making it hard for an enemy's cap-only mages to spam attacks at lots of enemy provinces.

Still, it seems like at least having the possibility to do a tower-defense-esque strategy where you don't field a substantial army, but, instead, focus on spell casting enemy armies into oblivion as they penetrate your dominion could add some interesting variety. Plus someone mentioned rituals being kind of uninteresting right now, and setting up to have some kind of spell-based airstrike capability could be interesting.

As it stands, and I'm no expert, it feels like the best you can hope for is screwing with people by making their empty provinces go neutral or temporarily fall to you. Then they just send their guys by a turn later. It's almost like all you're really doing is forcing them to micromanage more. Which is a crazy gaslighting thing to do, and seems kind of meanspirited in a game that's already unwieldy the more it progresses.

It's a shame they didn't virtualize your mages between 3 and 4. I think that's the main thing I'd have liked to see. Sliders on mage recruitment, forging, summoning, and ritual casting, like for research, instead of a mage-by-mage micro. Instead of buying units and commanders separately, unify them into a single purchase where you buy your caster or commander with a bunch of guys from a fort. It'd even be a good opportunity to reign some poo poo in. I wonder how much jaguar shenanigans we'd see if you were forced to purchase an unimpressive commander with your unit of jaguar warriors. Or if you could only get your good researchers with a bunch of uninspiring units that cost too much upkeep.

I mean, I know a lot of people are going to just say 'that's not whta dom is about--it's about picking and choosing crazy combinations and getting in up to your elbows in the details', but I don't know. I think I hear about how XYZ is 'totally useless' so much from experienced players, I tend to wonder why they're even there, except as newbie traps, unless they show up because you have to buy 20X to get a Y or visa versa.

Certainly, a lot of the summons and some of the mercs work that way. It could be a cool way to make the game more accessible and diversify strategies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Most of the things that are useless are there because Illwinter do not understand how their own game works.

They think being bigger is a buff :laugh:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Unify them into a single purchase where you buy your caster or commander with a bunch of guys from a fort. It'd even be a good opportunity to reign some poo poo in. I wonder how much jaguar shenanigans we'd see if you were forced to purchase an unimpressive commander with your unit of jaguar warriors. Or if you could only get your good researchers with a bunch of uninspiring units that cost too much upkeep.

This is totally, completely moddable. Someone could write a total conversion mod for dom4 that does exactly this, if they wanted to.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Still, it seems like at least having the possibility to do a tower-defense-esque strategy where you don't field a substantial army, but, instead, focus on spell casting enemy armies into oblivion as they penetrate your dominion could add some interesting variety. Plus someone mentioned rituals being kind of uninteresting right now, and setting up to have some kind of spell-based airstrike capability could be interesting.

As it stands, and I'm no expert, it feels like the best you can hope for is screwing with people by making their empty provinces go neutral or temporarily fall to you. Then they just send their guys by a turn later. It's almost like all you're really doing is forcing them to micromanage more. Which is a crazy gaslighting thing to do, and seems kind of meanspirited in a game that's already unwieldy the more it progresses.

It's a shame they didn't virtualize your mages between 3 and 4. I think that's the main thing I'd have liked to see. Sliders on mage recruitment, forging, summoning, and ritual casting, like for research, instead of a mage-by-mage micro. Instead of buying units and commanders separately, unify them into a single purchase where you buy your caster or commander with a bunch of guys from a fort. It'd even be a good opportunity to reign some poo poo in. I wonder how much jaguar shenanigans we'd see if you were forced to purchase an unimpressive commander with your unit of jaguar warriors. Or if you could only get your good researchers with a bunch of uninspiring units that cost too much upkeep.

I mean, I know a lot of people are going to just say 'that's not whta dom is about--it's about picking and choosing crazy combinations and getting in up to your elbows in the details', but I don't know. I think I hear about how XYZ is 'totally useless' so much from experienced players, I tend to wonder why they're even there, except as newbie traps, unless they show up because you have to buy 20X to get a Y or visa versa.

Certainly, a lot of the summons and some of the mercs work that way. It could be a cool way to make the game more accessible and diversify strategies.

raiding someone's undefended territory in a strategy game is not a form of emotional abuse

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Uh this is literally how I've won half a dozen games against other good players. It's super viable and I think modpud won like 3 straight games doing this. Have you even SEEN astral corruption/send horror or vengeful water or any of the various tower defense spells?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

I Love You! posted:

Uh this is literally how I've won half a dozen games against other good players. It's super viable and I think modpud won like 3 straight games doing this. Have you even SEEN astral corruption/send horror or vengeful water or any of the various tower defense spells?

Apparently not! I'm stoked to, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

despite the thousands(???) of various units in the game the only ones that really matter in the end are the ones that can fart out magic. properly used magic can decimate entire armies and/or swing the game in your favor pretty handily. as much as blesses can be important, they mean jack poo poo against properly equipped casters guided by players who know what the hell they're doing.

basically what this means is that the effectiveness of a nation begins and ends at how good their mages may or may not be

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
There is not that much that stopps the bless nations from also bringing their casters.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

despite the thousands(???) of various units in the game the only ones that really matter in the end are the ones that can fart out magic. properly used magic can decimate entire armies and/or swing the game in your favor pretty handily. as much as blesses can be important, they mean jack poo poo against properly equipped casters guided by players who know what the hell they're doing.

basically what this means is that the effectiveness of a nation begins and ends at how good their mages may or may not be

Bless nations have a better early game and that's important because early leads tend to snowball unless everyone allies against you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when i said all that the assumption was that someone would be trying to use mostly bless tactics w/ little to no mage support against someone with mages who have at least some mild research. the game is still ultimately decided on powerful/well-used mages and they're straight-up what you need to win unless everyone else is a dumbass or is playing a weak as hell nation (probably weak due to their lack of good/useful mages) because illwinter has no idea what balance is.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Balance is for other games. Also, I'm 99% sure that domes have to be cast on the province a mage is in. And last only a number of turns equal to the gems you throw in.
Depending on the dome.

Mage based warfare can be amazing as some of the other LPs (and maybe this one since our author hasn't crashed and burned yet) have demonstrated.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Veloxyll posted:

Also Fire Dome was recently buffed to have a chance of burning down the offending lab so if the other guy isn't cautious you could gently caress up his research for a turn or two.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm not certain where you got the idea that rituals are kind of uninteresting. Magic is super useful in murdering the gently caress out of enemy armies. I, personally, will never stop loving neutering enemy armies with mass mind hunts. Admittedly, a lot of it comes at higher research - but that's to be expected of a spell that does 7+drn damage plus extra in cold dom to 50% of the enemy army. The whole deal with dominions research is that magic goes from being something you use on a single person in a fight, to something you use on a bunch of people in a fight, to something you use on a single person over the map, to something you can wipe an entire army out with over the map.

quote:

This is called raiding. Destroying your opponent's income and forcing him to divert forces that could be currently fighting you is integral to strategy. Maybe in a comp stomp, where all the computer is interested in is building infinity useless soldiers and has mans to spare, this wouldn't be a huge deal - but that's a comp stomp, and thus isn't really worthy of consideration.

Also lol if you're ~e-honouraboule~ in a video game.

quote:

As far as Illwinter is concerned, 'balance' is a four letter word.

Mightypeon posted:

There is not that much that stopps the bless nations from also bringing their casters.

If those casters are garbage, though, the bless nation isn't going to get too far when the enemy nation is rocking turn 1 rain of stones. At a certain point, all troops are really good for is being warm bodies that can eat a magma eruption instead of your mages.

quote:

~domes~

Domes are fun. I almost killed AXE_COP's PG in noobsrus with a frost dome :kimchi:.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 22: Half A Person

Mictlan is fighting Pangaea, at their capital.

This is just about all of Mictlan's army of mages, versus what seems to be most of Pangaea's centaurs.

Mictlan did about as well as could be expected with their low level magic and incredibly poor early expansion. The loss of that many White Centaurs will hurt Pangaea pretty bad, since ilu xuande began his invasion of them this turn.

Some pretty great unexpected things have happened for us today.

These are both artifacts. They normally require construction 8 to forge, which very few people actually research because most artifacts are so niche as to be not at all worth it over researching high level magics that are actually useful on a broader level.

This is Lanka's hero! He's not very useful. He has the pillager trait due to his axe, which lets him raid enemy provinces for some gold while creating unrest, but that probably won't be very useful for us since we can just unleash the toad artillery if we need to create unrest. I might find a way to put him to use, though for now he'll just be raising more skeletons.

Despite the description, anyone can use this item, not just astral mages. Mind Hunt is very powerful, and will allow use to remotely assassinate enemy commanders without any real backlash. We'll need a turn to research Mind Burn to make use of it.

This isn't a super great item, not worth giving to any of our units except maybe our Pretender, who I'll hand it to as soon as she heads to a friendly lab.

Considering that all of this is completely free, I'm pretty pleased. I've never taken luck/death/turmoil/magic like this, it's really working out. We have piles of gems, free labs, and gold pouring right into our waiting hands.

This turn I've summoned quite a few asrapa, too.

They're pretty fantastic. I've decided I'm going to be summoning them instead of rakshasa warriors, since they're half the price and with a few magic buffs will be just as good, maybe even better. If we had taken an earth/nature/astral bless like I should've, rakshasa warriors would be the way to go, but with straight blood 9 I'm thinking asrapas are the way to go.

We found Fomoria's capital! Right where I thought it would be. It looks like since they're so squashed in, they've gone underwater, since some of Fomoria's more powerful capital-only units are amphibious.

Not even worth showing off.

Cavemen are pretty lovely. I don't know why Niefelheim recruited that one.

I'm sending our Pretender to take Cacevic Highlands on her own, I don't want to risk her in full enemy dominion. The rest of our army is proceeding east, straight to Niefelheim's capital. Our undead proceed behind them, to lay siege to their fortress once the rest of the army has taken the province itself.

Things are looking pretty good, honestly! Our toad batteries are up and running, we're summoning some pretty fantastic units, our research is a little weaker than I'd like but still proceeding well enough, and we've gotten so many magic gems from events that I've been able to empower a few of our mages in magic paths we wouldn't otherwise have access to.

:siren: SUPER SECRET DIPLOMACY CHAT LOGS :siren:

code:
<Eschatos> tell you what, I'll give you one chance
<Eschatos> march that army east into lanka lands
<Eschatos> and I won't remove you from the game
<iloveu> =[
<iloveu> lanka is offering the same but also paying me
<iloveu> i gotta go where the money is
<iloveu> C.R.E.A.M

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Holy poo poo. Free mind hunts in the second year? That's pretty baller. Not game-breakingly so, but useful on many levels. Could be good for sowing confusion, who would suspect Lanka of mind hunting people? Until now, I suppose.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A mirror that dispells illusions you say, and there's a guy who just loves his phantasmal army just over there.

Would be a shame if anything were to happen to him.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

Turn 22: Half A Person

Dominion army variety!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Maybe caveman lawyer was recruited to set up a new law office in that province?

"I'm just a caveman, your demons confuse and scare me."

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I refuse to believe you got two ARTIFACTS from random events, let alone in the same turn.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Now everyone knows I can be bought out :(

(I can be bought out)

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 28, 2014

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm now imagining a TC gimmick featuring Ol Dirty Crone.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

I refuse to believe you got two ARTIFACTS from random events, let alone in the same turn.

Eat poo poo and die, scrub (this was even after the patch where illwinter said that artifacts couldn't be gained from events. lol)

goatface posted:

A mirror that dispells illusions you say, and there's a guy who just loves his phantasmal army just over there.

Would be a shame if anything were to happen to him.

It never even occurred to me that I could do this and I feel so stupid and embarassed right now. lettuce play over

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

garth ferengi posted:

(this was even after the patch where illwinter said that artifacts couldn't be gained from events. lol)

I thought about asking about that but it seemed pointless as it clearly happened.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I always enjoy getting into Dom4 games, and I can generally get to mid game as I have a lot of the basics down, but past that I tend to start flailing a bit, as I really can't be bothered with a lot of the micro management that needs to take place. I'll inevitably forget about some mages I have sitting somewhere outside of my capital or won't realise I lost a commander in some army that was quite important, and so the number of small mistakes that I make end up adding up and bringing me down.

Further to that, I'm generally too focused on summoning/conjuring or damaging spells and forget to focus on some of the more important buff or global level spells.

All I really want to do is summon cool dudes and then put funky equipment on them and send them into battle :(

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

PotatoManJack posted:

I always enjoy getting into Dom4 games, and I can generally get to mid game as I have a lot of the basics down, but past that I tend to start flailing a bit, as I really can't be bothered with a lot of the micro management that needs to take place. I'll inevitably forget about some mages I have sitting somewhere outside of my capital or won't realise I lost a commander in some army that was quite important, and so the number of small mistakes that I make end up adding up and bringing me down.

Further to that, I'm generally too focused on summoning/conjuring or damaging spells and forget to focus on some of the more important buff or global level spells.

All I really want to do is summon cool dudes and then put funky equipment on them and send them into battle :(

Then dom3 is the game for you!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

since anyone can use the mirror, does that mean you can just throw it on an indep commander and have him 420 mind burn ev'ry day?
Since who cares if a 40 g trash commander gets feebleminded. Getting the mirror is drat nice though.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Veloxyll posted:

since anyone can use the mirror, does that mean you can just throw it on an indep commander and have him 420 mind burn ev'ry day?
Since who cares if a 40 g trash commander gets feebleminded. Getting the mirror is drat nice though.

ya. and they can use it even if they are feebleminded. Except maybe MAYBE according to patch notes they made it so only a astral mage can use it. But they also made it so you cant get it from random events and look how that poo poo worked.

e: to be clear the patch that made it only work with a astral mage happend after the current events of the lp i think

jsoh fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 29, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh snap. Equip it and Shift-M that poo poo on an enemy cap right away. Start killing the mages straight away.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have begun the long process of learning this drat game.

Stupid modpud and her stupid lettuce being so stupidly interesting and making me learn things.

Edit: And already I am confused because my map looks more cartoony than hers arrrgh

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 29, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Eat poo poo and die, scrub (this was even after the patch where illwinter said that artifacts couldn't be gained from events. lol)

If you take those scales it seems very common, i got the shield of dawn ages ago in a current Yomi game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Illwinter lied when they said artifacts could no longer be gotten from events, I expect they changed a couple of events to not be able to grant artifacts and completely missed some others because having to do each event manually instead of having them refer to a universal table sounds like something Illwinter would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I have begun the long process of learning this drat game.

Stupid modpud and her stupid lettuce being so stupidly interesting and making me learn things.

Edit: And already I am confused because my map looks more cartoony than hers arrrgh

Every designed map has its own art style, and the random maps are the only ones that looks like her screenshots.

• Locked thread