Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Bob Log posted:

FYI all these appear to be used/it said invalid when I tried. Thanks though!

Edit: yes I tried on Uplay, I am not dense.

Hrm, someone after you was able to get it working. Perhaps it's a timing issue?
Give it another go!

edit: accidental snipe, so I'll continue the Fuel chat.

I've often heard it's good, all I want from this game is a nice way to cruise around an open world and do races that are, hopefully, not just 4-lap wonders.
Is Fuel this and if so, how can I buy it?

King Faraday fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If sanity is valued do not use the streaming client.

Also the driving in this game feels worse than GRID 1 and I didn't know that was possible.

King Faraday posted:

all I want from this game is a nice way to cruise around an open world and do races that are, hopefully, not just 4-lap wonders.

You may find that you also want cars that actually feel controllable instead of mario karts. Every vehicle I used in fuel felt like a mario kart. It's clear the game was designed for binary steering / throttle control.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 27, 2014

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I didn't want to consider this game bad even though it felt it because my first experience was directly after having a migraine. I assumed the steering was like the car was a weight swinging at the end of a cable because I was groggy or something. It's concerning to read that stuff about the first race being a challenge to win because I was definitely fighting a weird feeling handling model on that first utility car.

The god-awful story was driving me nuts though, and I just wanted it all to be over until I could get out into open world mode and just drive. TDU2 wrecked this from TDU1 as well with the cutscenes for the Solar Crown event being unbearably bad. Then again I'm sure this game was developed by a wide group of people from various ethnic and religious backgrounds so

Speaking of Ubisoft, I do love how it has that might-as-well-be-trademarked-by-Ubisoft mechanic of driving/finding a location and then having a cut-scene show the surrounding area and reveal more of the map (see: every Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 3). Because, you know, being able to explore would just be daft. I'm hoping that I can jump my car into a hay-filled barn to avoid the cops as well.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I found that once I unlocked Dirt Spec I hated the driving less, but it is loving awful off the bat.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

markgreyam posted:

The god-awful story was driving me nuts though, and I just wanted it all to be over until I could get out into open world mode and just drive. TDU2 wrecked this from TDU1 as well with the cutscenes for the Solar Crown event being unbearably bad.

The story is terrible in a bad Fast and the Furious way which is endearing (to me) in a weird way, but at least here, unlike TDU2, if you wander away from the story it doesn't constantly pester you to get back to it.

Also, I had a lot of fun earlier today doing a crew convoy of 4 people driving muscle cars in the snow and ice terrain. As a general dick around with friends game, it is pretty enjoyable. I'm having pretty much the same enjoyment I had with TDU2, which is to say playing with others doing everything that isn't the story is making the game more fun.

I really, really wish there was a way to turn off the film grain effect.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Currently playing in-car camera hardcore mode with sequential manual on and it's really a bit of a trip. I can't tell if I'm just horribad at driving or if the driving is terrible. Any kind of attempting to push the car's limits results in massive oversteer or understeer. Left foot braking while understeering results in massive uncontrollable oversteer. I've won most races just by being ultra conservative about braking points and activating the stupid boost thing on straightaways. Scandinavian flicks usually leave me pointing in the other direction 99% of the time.

Kaddion posted:

I really, really wish there was a way to turn off the film grain effect.

I'd kill to auto-skip all cutscenes, get rid of the film grain, have a car that doesn't feel like a 3500lb boat, and a non-ubisoft designed UI. Coming from Race 07, Gran Turismo, Shutokou Battle, and Sega GT, this game's UI is just terrible. Still better than GRID though. Any UI is better than GRID. When did AAA funded games become an excuse to feature so many horrible things?

Gotta say though the fact that my Driving Force GT worked right off the bat and I can use it to navigate the entire UI is pretty :krad:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 27, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game is good for dicking around cross country, the driving is not nearly as bad as Watch Dogs, and the missions are tolerable but not good. Except Takedown missions which were apparently coded by imbeciles. :shrug: Not worth $60, but if the servers are still up come next Summer Sale when it's $30, probably around that.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Here are some keys for the beta.

EAAC-FLKV-LQMT-XR3C
AANU-3NJN-NEDF-G3GC
CKX8-Y7GR-BK3F-ANCF

For those who played the previous beta, did they add anything this time around ? It doesn't feel like there was any improvement.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Here's another beta key.

L9PL-98AL-VX6N-XFC3

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, the car handling model is inexcusable garbage. It's like the worst aspects of sim racers turned into overdrive and I honestly don't see why anyone could actually like it. Expecting the player to weave through traffic with a car that feels like you're driving while drunk is pretty drat bad, not being able to do basic things like drifting and countersteering while off-roading in an off-road vehicle is loving terrible. Actually, it's inexcusable. A good platformer lets you easily tell exactly how high and how far your jump goes, a good FPS lets you know where any projectile goes when you press fire, a good racer SHOULD let you easily know how a car behaves when you press a direction. Instead The Crew thinks it knows better and makes it so that any angle on the joystick is just more of a suggestion for where the wheel should go, when it gets around to it. Of course this makes any car either fishtail like crazy around every turn, or just not go through it.

I barely had the patience to get through the prologue and already, I'm just plain angry any time there's a cutscene happening. I don't care about this thick-rimmed glasses wearing, Portland-bearded dweeb. Holy poo poo, the guy comes off as just the biggest obnoxious nerd. Doesn't help that when the camera isn't on him, it's going LOOK AT ALL THIS DRIVING YOU COULD BE DOING. It doesn't get me psyched about the upcoming race, it just makes me angry the game didn't already give me control. It's the most generic poo poo, too. Your obnoxiously overbearing gangster brother got killed, a fat FBI thug framed you for the killing and somehow the only way to take him down is with...driving...

Don't buy this game. Please.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Great Joe posted:

We get it. You don't like it. Does anyone who has beta access have anything to add that suggests it might be good in any way? It's not available in the EU at the moment.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

I would say it is good with friends, but that applies to practically all games.

The Ford Raptor is the secret best car because gently caress traffic.

Also I can drift and countersteer while in an off-road vehicle. In fact I've been doing it a lot during cross-country convoys, though I've mostly been wrecking Orv into traffic/guard rails.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Seedge posted:

anything to add that suggests it might be good in any way?

Fighting the insane force feedback all race long is a good workout.

Also some of you goons post your uplay account I need people to race with in this silly silly game that aren't racist fuckwit 4chanites.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 27, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Seedge posted:

We get it. You don't like it. Does anyone who has beta access have anything to add that suggests it might be good in any way? It's not available in the EU at the moment.

It's a bog standard arcade racer with a cool road trip component. Where your price point for that lies is your call. I will note that equipping a car with the best poo poo available is a goddamn slog, but you can get by and have fun without having to do anything more than the story to unlock the specs.

Uplay is Orvidos.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's one legit cool idea in this game. It's introduced in the prologue while you're driving to Detroit, essentially they have these challenges on random bits of road. You just pass through a gate and suddenly you're doing a challenge. It kinda reminds me of Burnout Paradise's Road Rules, yeah I honestly liked those. There's only one flaw, and that's that there's no obvious way to opt-out if you just wanna use the road as a way to get from A-to-B.

A quick patch to include an opt-out option and it'd be a brilliant way to keep the freeroam fresh.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 27, 2014

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Great Joe posted:

There's one legit cool idea in this game. It's introduced in the prologue while you're driving to Detroit, essentially they have these challenges on random bits of road. You just pass through a gate and suddenly you're doing a challenge. It kinda reminds me of Burnout Paradise's Road Rules, yeah I honestly liked those. There's only one flaw, and that's that there's no obvious way to opt-out if you just wanna use the road as a way to get from A-to-B.

A quick patch to include an opt-out option and it'd be a brilliant way to keep the freeroam fresh.

I was only just now getting annoyed at these exact things for the lack of opt-out. The challenge wants me to go off-road roaming in my sports car, so I tried but it was stupidly hard, and then resetting to road just put me back in a field. I just wanted to quit that crap and get back to asphalt.

The driving model is still pissing me off big time. I love these sort of games and I keep trying to persist with this but in the TDU games I can weave in and out of traffic no worries from the get go because the driving model isn't ... whatever the gently caress this is doing. Even the original Need for Speed Most Wanted and it's central pivot point driving was easier to manage than this. It's so frustrating because I can tolerate the idiot story and everything else the game throws-up but the driving is obviously a key point and I'm just not gelling with it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Great Joe posted:

way to keep the freeroam fresh.

Am I not just paying attention and there's supposed to be a way to like flag down random AI cars patrolling the world for races or is that not the case?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I think they're just there for flavour.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jesus christ shut up Joe.

Whomever Rothkur is, sorry I was just recording a long drive and you caught me on the tail end of it and then I crashed going into LA. :v:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Oh that was me, I just wanted to figure out how the grouping system worked. The downhill mountain run between Las Vegas and LA is pretty amazing. I couldn't seem to figure out how to communicate within the group.

Also not sure what the logic behind these other players appearing in my game world are. Not sure if it just takes a random smattering of players or what.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Extra posted:

Oh that was me, I just wanted to figure out how the grouping system worked. The downhill mountain run between Las Vegas and LA is pretty amazing. I couldn't seem to figure out how to communicate within the group.

Also not sure what the logic behind these other players appearing in my game world are. Not sure if it just takes a random smattering of players or what.

It's using TDU2 logic, which is to say that depending on the phases of the moon and how big your packet loss is, you'll have a completely different set of people. Hop on CTS and we'll screw around.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
There's a mission (Basically a Tutorial mission because this is an Ubisoft game and it's not an Ubisoft without tutorials pretending to be real missions) that has you driving a Cayman S 'Perf Spec' and it feels decent, then you're back in your Boatercar after it. Drove some Dirt-spec car too that felt decent too. As long as the car variety is good I'll be happy with it. I loved just cruising around roads with mates in TDU2. I'll miss dressing up like a prat and constantly getting plastic surgery so I look like a mummy though.
Why were people expecting Burnout from this? I haven't been following the news/hype, was it going for this angle? It's always looked more TDU/Forza Horizon to me.

markgreyam posted:

TDU2 wrecked this from TDU1 as well with the cutscenes for the Solar Crown event being unbearably bad.
I loved TDU2's 'story' and by that I mean I loved how inane and stupid it was. Rich dickheads being rich and pompous :allears: Who's gonna win this dumb Richie Race Cup? :aaa: Oh no it was the poor valet kid, oh no Old White Man is grumpy about that! :ohdear:
Who thought that was a good idea? :downs:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I just know I'm going to end up with this, regrettably or otherwise, regardless of my/a lot of people's complaints about the boatercar aspect. The pull of open world driving is just too strong and I love the concept too much.

Oh, another beta key as well : J3Y4-8AG8-MBKL-KMTM probably a bit late but if someone can use it then yay

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The worst thing about TDU2 was how there was so much crap to buy, but a finite amount of money in the goofy story mode. And this was before "pay real money to unlock", too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Streaming the drive from up north to LA then maybe but probably not Miami, here.

E: Postponed due to technical issues also lack of sleep.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 27, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Scylo posted:

Here's another beta key.

L9PL-98AL-VX6N-XFC3

Snagged this one. Thanks.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
As someone else said, MMORPG is making GBS threads out beta codes.
http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/554/The-Crew-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html
19,690 Keys Left as of posting.

Why is a Beta 'locked' (You can unlock it via .ini file) at 30FPS ranking 7 on the MegaHilter scale?

Croccers fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 27, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
After playing several hours the driving has grown on me after dialing in my wheel properly. That and the starting muscle car and the 370z are harder to control than some of the other cars. Overall the game is good plain arcade fun and there's a ton of replayability due to the variety of disciplines and unrivaled track lengths.

The Focus RS though less interesting would make a much better introductory car.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orv posted:

Jesus christ shut up Joe.
:lol: "How dare you not like the same thing I like?"

Look, just say you want all discussion of this game to be positive and I'll leave this thread alone.

Croccers posted:

Why were people expecting Burnout from this?
I've no idea, but I'm guessing it's because BP was the last great open world racing game and there hasn't been anything like it since. Even Criterion managed to gently caress it up three times and they're the ones who made it in the first place.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Provided you don't immediately burn all your money at the start after picking one of the four starters, you can then go and buy either the Chrysler 300 in Detroit or the Focus RS in New York for the same price as the starters. Orv and Oglogoth tell me that the 300 is a lot better than the starters.

Uplay name is Kaddion.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, the car handling model is inexcusable garbage. It's like the worst aspects of sim racers turned into overdrive and I honestly don't see why anyone could actually like it. Expecting the player to weave through traffic with a car that feels like you're driving while drunk is pretty drat bad, not being able to do basic things like drifting and countersteering while off-roading in an off-road vehicle is loving terrible. Actually, it's inexcusable. A good platformer lets you easily tell exactly how high and how far your jump goes, a good FPS lets you know where any projectile goes when you press fire, a good racer SHOULD let you easily know how a car behaves when you press a direction. Instead The Crew thinks it knows better and makes it so that any angle on the joystick is just more of a suggestion for where the wheel should go, when it gets around to it. Of course this makes any car either fishtail like crazy around every turn, or just not go through it.

I barely had the patience to get through the prologue and already, I'm just plain angry any time there's a cutscene happening. I don't care about this thick-rimmed glasses wearing, Portland-bearded dweeb. Holy poo poo, the guy comes off as just the biggest obnoxious nerd. Doesn't help that when the camera isn't on him, it's going LOOK AT ALL THIS DRIVING YOU COULD BE DOING. It doesn't get me psyched about the upcoming race, it just makes me angry the game didn't already give me control. It's the most generic poo poo, too. Your obnoxiously overbearing gangster brother got killed, a fat FBI thug framed you for the killing and somehow the only way to take him down is with...driving...

I really agree with this. Why can't race games A: Stop putting in a story beyond "I drive cars" and B: Just use the same engine Forza uses for their cars/physics? They all feel like real cars when you drive them.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Great Joe posted:

:lol: "How dare you not like the same thing I like?"

Look, just say you want all discussion of this game to be positive and I'll leave this thread

His posts haven't been all positive, not even close, but don't let that get in the way of getting mad. Over and over again.

Takedown missions feel super trial-and-error, in the terrible way. Once you know where the enemy goes you can finish them in <10 seconds.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Yaos posted:

This dude drives from Miami to Los Angeles and it takes him about 40 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4cWF95qAgs

Watching the Miami portion of this is strange, made me feel kind of detached and dizzy. It's like a fever dream where you know where you are but when you try and walk somewhere it takes you to a place that's just ever so slightly wrong, twisted and distorted. Made my skin crawl.

I want to see what they've done for nyc. I do want to rent this just for exploring.
e: I watched a bit more and it looks super boring to drive around in actually. fuel looked so much better and I only got a few hours out of that.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 27, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Takedown missions feel super trial-and-error, in the terrible way. Once you know where the enemy goes you can finish them in <10 seconds.
Feels like they want you to Crew up for them, at least if you don't want to fail a few times so you know the perfect place to t-bone them at.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Reason posted:

I really agree with this. Why can't race games A: Stop putting in a story beyond "I drive cars" and B: Just use the same engine Forza uses for their cars/physics?
I kinda disagree. Racing games can have stories, but it has to be done well. I know I'm mentioning it a lot but Driver: San Francisco had a genuinely good story, and told it well. As for B, if all games had cars like Forza, we wouldn't have games like Trackmania, F-Zero or San Francisco Rush. Or Nitronic Rush.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This game feels old as gently caress. The story is something that fell out of a Need For Speed game a decade ago and absolutely all of the collisions suck. There's nothing between running straight through something as if it's not there or hitting a brick wall and the impacts between cars be they racer or civilian just feels weird. Like it's laggy and cheaty and just not right.

e: now that I've caught up on this thread, the car handling is better than FUEL or TDU2 but not by much. I guess I'll continue playing because I'm too goddamn tired to work

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 28, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah I was interested in this but after playing the beta I'm not gonna buy it. The driving is terrible, the story gets in the way, all of the physics are wonky (I did a barrel roll from hitting the curb wrong, and I got launched hundreds of feet into the air after I hit another car). Interesting idea but a car game that has bad driving physics is worthless.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Tweaking the settings for your gamepad/wheel is pretty much mandatory as the default ones suck and the handling becomes much better after tweaking. If you're playing this with a keyboard I would suggest not doing that and paying 20 bucks or so for a decent gamepad.

For everyone: Switch into sport or hardcore assist mode and use the settings below.

Wheel users should also change brake/throttle sensitivity to halfway as the default is for a gamepad trigger with very little modulation or a keyboard. Gamepads equipped with long travel triggers should do the same.

The default settings sucking are causing the vast majority of car control issues.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 28, 2014

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am playing with a 360 controller and having a blast, but I also never play racing/driving games. I could see how it would be disliked if I was big into the genre, but I am having a lot of fun.

Edit: Considering it is coming out on consoles they might have designed the controls with gamepads in mind if they expect it to sell better on consoles.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy hell Zoe's in-game talking head is a goddamn nightmare. If you don't want to do custom lip-syncing for each line of dialog and you have no idea how to do it well procedurally maybe you shouldn't do it at all!

• Locked thread