Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My BP fell tremendously when i finished law school and started practicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalman posted:

Seriously, not joking, go to a doctor and get it checked just in case. I got put onto medication for 140/100; 180 is dangerous for you both short and long term. (Home kits can be off but they aren't usually all that far off.)

I'm on meds now. The first type worked too well and I had my vision go dark in court a few times when getting up, I was real worried I'd pass out, but now all is well due to pills.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
What a drag it is getting old
"Cases are different today,"
I hear ev'ry lawyer say
Counsel needs something today to calm him down
And though he's not really ill
There's a little yellow pill
He goes running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
And it helps him on his way, gets him through his busy day
I hear ev'ry lawyer say
Working weekends for a partner's just a drag
So he lights up and gets baked and he gets some Steak n' Shake
And goes running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
And two help him on his way, get him through his 15-hour day
Doctor please, some more of these
Outside the door, he took four more
"Clients just aren't the same today"
I hear ev'ry lawyer say
They just don't appreciate that you get tired
They're so hard to satisfy, You can tranquilize your mind
So go running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
And four help you through the night, help to minimize your plight
"Practice's just much too hard today,"
I hear ev'ry lawyer say
The pursuit of billable hours just seems a bore
And if you take more of those, you will get an overdose
No more running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
They just helped you on your way, through your busy dying day

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Abugadu posted:

I hear ev'ry lawyer say
Counsel needs something today to calm him down
And though he's not really ill
There's a little yellow pill
He goes running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
And it helps him on his way, gets him through his busy day
I hear ev'ry lawyer say
Working weekends for a partner's just a drag
So he lights up and gets baked and he gets some Steak n' Shake
And goes running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
And two help him on his way, get him through his 15-hour day
"Clients just aren't the same today"
I hear ev'ry lawyer say
They just don't appreciate that you get tired
They're so hard to satisfy, You can tranquilize your mind
So go running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
And four help you through the night, help to minimize your plight
"Practice's just much too hard today,"
I hear ev'ry lawyer say
The pursuit of billable hours just seems a bore
And if you take more of those, you will get an overdose
No more running for the shelter of a lawyer's little helper
They just helped you on your way, through your busy dying day

I love this but I enjoy my job because when I come home I can still do it! And continue drinkworking

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I've got two interns right now. This is a really strange experience.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love this but I enjoy my job because when I come home I can still do it! And continue drinkworking

No! Work stays at work! Don't do it! You stay at the office if you need to but it does not come home!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

CaptainScraps posted:

No! Work stays at work! Don't do it! You stay at the office if you need to but it does not come home!

Sometimes I take work home and say to myself that I will do it. Then I get home and end up watching Netflix, playing video games, drinking and doing no work.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Question for a friend: what is the downside of going somewhere in the top half of the t14 with no debt after if you think you may want to do law?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Three years is a big commitment for "may want to do law" and you lose 3 years of earning potential.

Top 6 gives you more options than other schools though, so who knows. If it's really debt free, do whatever.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

semicolonsrock posted:

Question for a friend: what is the downside of going somewhere in the top half of the t14 with no debt after if you think you may want to do law?

Putting up with law students for three years is something I should have charged for in retrospect.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

semicolonsrock posted:

On the chance you don't graduate with a job in hand, you have about 6-9 months before you start to go into a heavy panic because there's a massive hole on your resume that any potential employer is going to ask about, meaning you're pretty much shut out of biglaw unless you scrape and claw your way through midsize firms (most of whom want at least 1-3 years experience before they'll look at you). Government hiring is still fairly thin, so you may have to set up shop to go solo, which would be fine except they went to a t14 school that teaches you jack poo poo about actual legal work, so they're at a high risk of malpractice.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Abugadu posted:

a high risk of malpractice.

To all the aspiring solos out there: You'd be surprised how incompetent you can be and still stay in good standing with the bar. As long as you call people back, sorta kinda, and don't do poo poo with money or signatures, you're alright.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Soothing Vapors posted:

Three years is a big commitment for "may want to do law" and you lose 3 years of earning potential.

Top 6 gives you more options than other schools though, so who knows. If it's really debt free, do whatever.

That's sort of what I thought.

Is there any particular upshot to having a law degree in other fields eg government or something similar? I'm just not really sure what they will get out of it if they don't end up liking doing law, or how one is supposed to tell if one will like the law beforehand, given that most other legal roles seem pretty different?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

semicolonsrock posted:

That's sort of what I thought.

Is there any particular upshot to having a law degree in other fields eg government or something similar? I'm just not really sure what they will get out of it if they don't end up liking doing law, or how one is supposed to tell if one will like the law beforehand, given that most other legal roles seem pretty different?

In DC there are a lot of job listings at non-profits, think tanks, and other political organizations that prefer a master's or advanced degree in something related to government or money, and a JD can count as either of those. But then you're just in the same candidate pool as people with other graduate degrees, so you still need to have something separating you from them like knowing somebody or having experience in that area (or have a really convincing cover letter and get lucky). Also I don't think any other region in the country has even close to as many of these governmenty-graduate-degree-preferred job openings as DC.

Edit: On that note, management consulting firms tend to count a JD as on par with an MBA or a PhD, putting you in the same candidate pool as those people, which means competing for good jobs with six figures at the top ten or so management consulting firms and high five figures at lower-ranked and smaller firms.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 28, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Oh yeah good point. I forgot that any advanced degree tends to reset you for management consulting.

I assume expert witness consulting might also like JDs? Tho I guess PHDs are really what they want.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

semicolonsrock posted:

Oh yeah good point. I forgot that any advanced degree tends to reset you for management consulting.

I assume expert witness consulting might also like JDs? Tho I guess PHDs are really what they want.

I don't know about expert witness consulting, unfortunately.

I left another thing out though, which is that there are also often job listings in DC that are "JD-preferred" or "JD-required", which mean you probably won't practice law, but the employer really wants somebody with a JD doing it, or would at least prefer it if they had their druthers. A good example is being a legal editor or legal writer for Bloomberg BNA or another news source, or being a business agent for a labor union (this is actually an example of a JD-preferred position that employers look for around the country).

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 28, 2014

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

CaptainScraps posted:

This is a weird attitude for a lawyer.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

semicolonsrock posted:

Most experts don't have JDs - when I go looking for an expert I am looking for a relevant PhD, generally ( occasionally a relevant lower degree, and damages experts are often just MBA or MAcc.). I actually would be less inclined to hire an expert with a JD - with some very specific exceptions which wouldn't apply to someone freshly graduated, the expert's job isn't really to opine on the law and I would rather they didn't force me to tell them to stop talking about the law and start talking about their expertise.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

When you have kids you will want to see them too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When you have kids you will want to see them too.

That's why you have a playground or something at the office. You can see them on cigarette breaks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ok, sent the first round of invites to anyone who gave me enough info to send one.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

semicolonsrock posted:

I hear the Harvard Club in NYC is nice and potentially a good networking opportunity. They have a gym. UVA has access to the Yale Club. Take squash lessons. You could also go to one of these schools without getting a law degree which would probably be a better option.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a question, do you really want to be a lawyer? Well you can't find out until you go to law school.

Spoiler alert: You probably don't want to be a lawyer.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

semicolonsrock posted:

What is "expert witness consulting"?

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
Anyone here do wills and estates? I'm looking to jump ship from litigation to transactional stuff and I'm just curious what your guys experience might be.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cool dude posting.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Thank you for continuing advice! From bookmarking this thread back when I was thinking about law school I'm encouraging them to do anything else, but the no debt + high t14 thing made me feel like there might be some worthwhile upside.

blarzgh posted:

What is "expert witness consulting"?

Professional expert witnesses? Usually more of a thing for PHDs though.
http://expertpages.com/news/new1.htm

Lote posted:

I hear the Harvard Club in NYC is nice and potentially a good networking opportunity. They have a gym. UVA has access to the Yale Club. Take squash lessons. You could also go to one of these schools without getting a law degree which would probably be a better option.

Actually a valid question: if they've already gone to one of these schools, does that dilute the JD premium even more?

LordPants posted:

Here's a question, do you really want to be a lawyer? Well you can't find out until you go to law school.

Spoiler alert: You probably don't want to be a lawyer.

They've done paralegal stuff at one of the famous biglaw firms, but I don't know how similar working as a paralegal is to actually being a lawyer.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

semicolonsrock posted:

I don't know how similar working as a paralegal is to actually being a lawyer.

paralegal : lawyer : : nurse : doctor

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Neko Sou posted:

Anyone here do wills and estates? I'm looking to jump ship from litigation to transactional stuff and I'm just curious what your guys experience might be.

Great work when you can get it. Like loving fantastic work.

Good luck getting it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's why you have a playground or something at the office. You can see them on cigarette breaks.

My dad had toy tractors at his office (he was an ag lawyer). That is what I did on sick days, play with tractors in dads office (moms office was 40mi away from school).

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I had an adult client today born in 1990. Nineteen loving ninety. gently caress. I'm old.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

Professional expert witnesses? Usually more of a thing for PHDs though.
http://expertpages.com/news/new1.htm

To be a professional expert witness you have to actually be an expert in that field. It's more a side job than a goal, unless your goal is to be the guy who will say anything for a buck.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

woozle wuzzle posted:

I had an adult client today born in 1990. Nineteen loving ninety. gently caress. I'm old.

Uhm, 1990 is getting old for my clients. 18 is 1996. Jesus gently caress.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

To be a professional expert witness you have to actually be an expert in that field. It's more a side job than a goal, unless your goal is to be the guy who will say anything for a buck.

This was my point.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

semicolonsrock posted:

Actually a valid question: if they've already gone to one of these schools, does that dilute the JD premium even more?

I wouldn't say dilute but if you've gone to one of those schools, you shouldn't have networking problems or much real difficulty in finding a finance/consulting/etc. job somewhere outside of law. Either way you cut it a Harvard BS/Yale JD is impressive and you should be able to figure out how to get some sort of ballin' job, legal or otherwise.

The one person I know for whom this applies got a job doing comic book law.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

evilweasel posted:

Oh, I was thinking places like Compass-Lexecon, NERA, Analysis Group might exist in fields outside of economics? It seemed like those places do like JDs at least a little, though obviously it would need to be paired with some actual expertise. But maybe that's just economics.

Lote posted:

I wouldn't say dilute but if you've gone to one of those schools, you shouldn't have networking problems or much real difficulty in finding a finance/consulting/etc. job somewhere outside of law. Either way you cut it a Harvard BS/Yale JD is impressive and you should be able to figure out how to get some sort of ballin' job, legal or otherwise.

The one person I know for whom this applies got a job doing comic book law.

Makes sense!

Thanks for the advice team. Personally made the decision not to go to law school (as a person who would not have had it paid for) in large part because of this thread and I should probably give general thanks for that as well. Really enjoy what I'm doing!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

semicolonsrock posted:

Oh, I was thinking places like Compass-Lexecon, NERA, Analysis Group might exist in fields outside of economics? It seemed like those places do like JDs at least a little, though obviously it would need to be paired with some actual expertise. But maybe that's just economics.

Generally speaking, companies that provide legal expert consultants are, you know, law firms.

There's basically no work I can think of for JD experts as external experts as opposed to as lawyers.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

There's basically no work I can think of for JD experts as external experts as opposed to as lawyers.

Very rarely for patent lawyers regarding willful infringement issues. But by the time you've gotten a big enough rep for that, who cares about being an expert anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

evilweasel posted:

Ok, sent the first round of invites to anyone who gave me enough info to send one.

In as the Officious Intermeddlers. Looks like we need three more for a 12 team.