Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Sizone posted:

Excellent idea. You should start with this rare, one of a kind Roland Korg Electribe

Man that would go great with my Moog Monotribe

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Also I've put my first toe into the modular ocean... I'm still many hundreds of dollars away from quality robo farts :negative:

Hahahah..

"hundreds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you can get it fixed under warranty, definitely do. You'd be cheating yourself out of a big chunk of the re-sale value if you didn't.

Keyboard or key swap shouldn't exactly be a complicated operation either.

Great news. I called Moog and talked with Nick in the tech department. Dude couldn't be nicer. He said I could ship it back to them at no charge, or he could ship the offending key to me and to walk me through it, which is super awesome and ideal. He even said if it comes on a saturday and he's not in work, I could call his cell. Obviously my main concern is not loving up my warranty incase something else shows up down the line. My friend has told me nightmare stories of trying to tech support stuff over the phone with people.

I assured him that I'd taken apart my ensoniq to replace the battery so it shouldn't be like leading a blind person by flashlight. He told me about an ensoniq he was working on getting fixed for a friend and got excited when I told him that a local shop had like six broken esq-1s. He cursed in excitement before asking what the shop's name was. Great guy.

drat is this what customer service is??? Blown away. I'm used to getting bored, rehearsed, patronization.

Definitely got me hooked on this poo poo. Now about a moogerfooger... are the delays really 800 dollars good? Or is that just the moog premium?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Moogerfooger delays are good, but not worth their full price tag unless you've got spare cash to burn.

And synthesists never have spare cash to burn.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Definitely got me hooked on this poo poo. Now about a moogerfooger... are the delays really 800 dollars good? Or is that just the moog premium?

If you want a fully featured delay pedal with lots of CV control I look into the Koma BD101 since it's 1/2 the price and has most of the same features along with a few other ones. Or if you're stuck on Moog get the MF Delay which has 1 CV input and 1/4 of the price.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

A Winner is Jew posted:

If you want a fully featured delay pedal with lots of CV control I look into the Koma BD101 since it's 1/2 the price and has most of the same features along with a few other ones. Or if you're stuck on Moog get the MF Delay which has 1 CV input and 1/4 of the price.

Sick, I will look into these options.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Has anyone ever heard of a groovebox modified to be battery powered?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Nope, but if it's like 9v I'd guess it would be doable.
I've done the reverse on Monotron and some guitar pedals.

I could be wrong, but it depends how much current it draws. My korg 707 needs 6 c cells to run, it draws 700mA IRC. What I'm saying is the batteries might not fit in the case or would need to be housed independetly.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 27, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

What the gently caress is a groovebox? The Boss DR-202 DR GROOVE will run on batteries.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The MC- series et al

Someone on Muffs mentioned there'd probably be enough room in the RM1x to jam in RC batteries.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The MC- series et al

Someone on Muffs mentioned there'd probably be enough room in the RM1x to jam in RC batteries.

I didn't even think of RC batteries, it could be cool.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
MPC500 will run off batteries.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The MC- series et al

Likely room enough for that. I've built RC batts into the frames of pedal boards for some of my guitarist buddies, they pack a lot of power and have standardized connectors and chargers. It's a good inexpensive solution vs the commercial motorcycle batt+inverter portable power packs or completely rolling your own from individual cells.

Oh wait, that was probably me on muffs. ~internet~. If you want I can crack mine open and see what I can stuff in there. Most of the grooveboxes are pretty light on the current so it's not too expensive to get them running on batts. I bet until it kicks the FDD on it's only sippin.' You too can electrobusk.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If only some old pervert had already photo-documented the guts of an RM1x... http://lowbroweye.com/post/4837201400/lets-upgrade-yamaha-rm1x

And I've never even tried to use the floppy in my one - who needs it? - so that could also become a good battery bay.

ObWeirdGearAcquisitionOfTheWeek: a Red Sound Dark Star that's been rehoused in a Federation Pro chassis that offers way too many phono ins and outs on the back panel.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 27, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

ynohtna posted:

If only some old pervert had already photo-documented the guts of an RM1x... http://lowbroweye.com/post/4837201400/lets-upgrade-yamaha-rm1x
And I've never even tried to use the floppy in my one - who needs it? - so that could also become a good battery bay.

:h:
I've got the batts to shove in there, I meant, but hell yea she's cavernous inside.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Hail Satan.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Holy poo poo.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Let's get dangerous

Even if you wanted to be lazy and velcro a bog standard 2kmAh 9.6V pack inside, there's room and you'd get ~6 hours out of it. You could stuff ~12 AA sized cells in the floppy cage without modifying it. Although if you're willing to do a little nibbling you're probably better off with a 11.1V LiPo pack. A 5500mAh one would fit in there and be good for nearly twenty hours. A little more care does have to be taken with LiPos vs NiMH, so keep that in mind.

She's built like a brick shithouse though, and with a great voltage regulator. The swing is from almost 6 up to 15+. Running her low obviously uses more current but even at 7.00V, it's ~500mA during a FD format with spikes maybe another 100 over. At ~10 it's more like 300mA. So even if you need FDD access I think you'd be OK on battery.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
:catstare:

So... I want to do that. Up to 20 hours sounds awesome.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Super cool. Upcycling stuff gets me so hard.

Now if you could have it charge the battery pack through the normal power adapter and add a color changing led to indicate charging status...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Issuing a challenge to you goons. Either take your Rm1x, or your iPad and a copy of the free and totally excellent Yamaha Mobile Sequencer and make a loving song. You have until, gently caress, let's say Columbus Day.
I will be posting a series of short, quasi-informative articles about understanding the ins, outs, nooks and crannies of Rm1x usage during the next few weeks to assist you (conversion to battery power not included).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
My RM1x isn't even here yet. But yeah I'm down with actually making something one day maybe possibly probably not.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Your iPad is right next to you. Get started before the semester gets going in full and you really don't have any time.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone into programming Lemur? I'd like to make a bunch of dropdown menus, each selection sending a simple sysex message and if possible an endless knob cabable of sending 2 different messages depending on rotation direction.

I'm making a "controller" for Mirage, the sysex is just simulating pushing front panel buttons (http://www.gweep.net/~shifty/music/miragesysex1.txt). I've done it before on Novation Zero SL, but I just can't seem to figure Lemur out as I haven't touched it in a while. I could just do a bunch of buttons but that would take ages and having different rotaries for +/- is retarded.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

Issuing a challenge to you goons. Either take your Rm1x, or your iPad and a copy of the free and totally excellent Yamaha Mobile Sequencer and make a loving song. You have until, gently caress, let's say Columbus Day.
I will be posting a series of short, quasi-informative articles about understanding the ins, outs, nooks and crannies of Rm1x usage during the next few weeks to assist you (conversion to battery power not included).

I don't have an RM1X or an iPad and you know excuses excuses excuses. :words:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

and make a loving song

ah, jeez that's crazy talk

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

No.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Downloaded Yamaha Mobile Sequencer a minute ago and already hate it

Actually I just don't want to learn a new software because I'm comfortable with NanoStudio and waah waah

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Downloaded Yamaha Mobile Sequencer a minute ago and already hate it

Actually I just don't want to learn a new software because I'm comfortable with NanoStudio and waah waah

I thought it could be sweet for external gear, the build in sounds are just gently caress no.

edit. seems like I have the app on my phone and I have done a horrible thing with it. Here's my contribution (poo poo mix, propably made with the phone speaker):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqygi8svpjusr7d/W424mastarbiece.mp3?dl=0

W424 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 28, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've never pretended to use my iPad for music and don't really have apps with sequencing.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sizone posted:

Gonna grab this and have fun, will make some tracks on the train over the next couple of weeks, thanks for the heads up about the app!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Issuing a challenge to you goons. Either take your Rm1x, or your iPad and a copy of the free and totally excellent Yamaha Mobile Sequencer and make a loving song.I You have until, gently caress, let's say Columbus Day.

Feh, I've got nothing left to prove when it comes to making tracks with just an RM1x: https://soundcloud.com/ynohtna/sets/rm1x-joints

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

ynohtna posted:

Feh, I've got nothing left to prove when it comes to making tracks with just an RM1x: https://soundcloud.com/ynohtna/sets/rm1x-joints

Wow! Loooving Dependency Impressions! poo poo, I think I want to try out a RM1x too ... how does it compare to an Electribe EMX though?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
We should all get RM1xs and form a label based off lovely RM1x jams.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Sizone posted:

Challenge accepted! That Music Sequencer is surprisingly fun. Here is it drowning in Crystalline reverb:
https://soundcloud.com/flixxx/mobile-music-sequencer

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Can anyone recommend iPad/iPhone apps that are good for loading and triggering samples? Ideally with realtime control over one shot/looped playback, momentary/latched triggering, playback volume & pitch.

As much as I enjoy Samplr for creative mangling, it's not ideal for improvised layering of dozens of long samples to form audio collages.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

net work error posted:

I don't have an RM1X or an iPad and you know excuses excuses excuses. :words:

Then what are you using for a sequencer?

FLX posted:

Wow! Loooving Dependency Impressions! poo poo, I think I want to try out a RM1x too ... how does it compare to an Electribe EMX though?

You would be better advised to pick up an RS7000 or a QY-700. I'm just making an example of the RM1x because a surprisingly large number of people have them and an unsurprisingly large percentage of those people aren't using them.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 29, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

W424 posted:

Anyone into programming Lemur? I'd like to make a bunch of dropdown menus, each selection sending a simple sysex message and if possible an endless knob cabable of sending 2 different messages depending on rotation direction.

That's totally doable and quite simple, but prepare to experience some pain during the implementation. Lemur's custom kinda-C programming language is pitifully slapdash and under-developed, and the Lemur editor totally gives no fucks for lubricating the coding process.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

Then what are you using for a sequencer?

Ableton for everything except my Machinedrum.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

net work error posted:

Ableton for everything except my Machinedrum.

Make a song using only the machinedrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ynohtna posted:

That's totally doable and quite simple, but prepare to experience some pain during the implementation. Lemur's custom kinda-C programming language is pitifully slapdash and under-developed, and the Lemur editor totally gives no fucks for lubricating the coding process.

Yeah, sounds like fun times ahead. Multibuttons and such were really easy in touchosc/anything else.