Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149171

That one isn't in stock but they were somewhat common at one point
12.5mm was a temporarily 3-platter solution when vendors couldn't get to 500GB/2.5" platter. Now that they can get that magic 1TB capacity in 9.5mm, no one really does anything with 12.5mm anymore.

I think Samsung/Seagate announced a 2TB 12.5mm but I'm not sure if it hit the market yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a good program to stress test a Mac? Video + CPU + RAM?

Considering just running some 'make -j8' project in a loop and have some WebGL demo running

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Unigine Heaven and/or Valley should do the trick.
Although that probably doesn't "exercise" much RAM overall compared to GPU and CPU.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone use a foot pedal? I'm interested in getting one for editing audio/video and subtitling. I'm trying to think what the benefit of having two or more is as I can only understand the use for one. Unless I can use two as making I/O points.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

12.5mm was a temporarily 3-platter solution when vendors couldn't get to 500GB/2.5" platter. Now that they can get that magic 1TB capacity in 9.5mm, no one really does anything with 12.5mm anymore.

I think Samsung/Seagate announced a 2TB 12.5mm but I'm not sure if it hit the market yet.

Seagate has announced a 9.5mm 2TB drive, model number STBD2000102. It appears to be available through Best Buy's website, but without actually trying to order one I dunno if that's for real.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

If I'm not gaming or working with video, should I bother getting the rMBP 15" with the dGPU? I'm mainly just using Lightroom and Photoshop, but it seems that the dGPU is almost free if I'm upgrading the CPU and RAM. Are there any reasons not to take the dGPU?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

alkanphel posted:

If I'm not gaming or working with video, should I bother getting the rMBP 15" with the dGPU? I'm mainly just using Lightroom and Photoshop, but it seems that the dGPU is almost free if I'm upgrading the CPU and RAM. Are there any reasons not to take the dGPU?

Battery life and heat. Many apps which use OpenGL force the DGPU to turn on, even if you'd do fine without it, and it uses a lot more power than the Intel integrated GPU.

Anyone know if Lightroom or PS will do that on a dual graphics Mac? If they don't, there's not much downside.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Housh posted:

Anyone use a foot pedal? I'm interested in getting one for editing audio/video and subtitling. I'm trying to think what the benefit of having two or more is as I can only understand the use for one. Unless I can use two as making I/O points.

The "make money transcribing" thread talks about the absolutely need for pedals for doing transcripting, which subtitling basically is. But I only read that much since I suck so bad at typing.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the link to that thread in my bookmarks. It's part of one of those "work from home" thread here at SA.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Housh posted:

You need two so that you can backup. You use one to go faster and one to backup if you get too far. Only having one would make you stick to a slow speed and have it for pause / backup.

Instead you want a pressure sensitive pedal that you can use to speed up the playback from 1->Max you can deal with and the other pedal to backup. I've never done transcription but this is the setup as has been described to me. I'd suggest reading the referenced thread on why 2. I could see a use for three if you were done mass work as the third could be a save and next pedal to never move you hands off the KB.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The dedicated graphics will increase the resale value and as you said isn't much of a cost once you're already upgrading CPU and RAM. There is a 3rd party app that lets you force the integrated graphics, I'm pretty sure. Note that in Windows it will always use the dedicated graphics regardless.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Is there any way to make the magsafe chargers any less fragile? I've had to get another charger because it frayed near the base (luckily a warranty replacement) and I had to replace one on my old air. I've just stopped using the silly cable tie on the charger itself since there doesn't seem to be a way to use it without putting pressure on the connection to the brick, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

fordan posted:

Or if you need both an external monitor and physical Ethernet.

I've been thinking about buying a ethernet donge for my Air. Are the thunderbolt ones better than USB 3 ones?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Selklubber posted:

I've been thinking about buying a ethernet donge for my Air. Are the thunderbolt ones better than USB 3 ones?

Thunderbolt seem to work much better in my experience.

E: I wasn't even aware the USB adapters were USB 3.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

empty baggie posted:

Thunderbolt seem to work much better in my experience.

E: I wasn't even aware the USB adapters were USB 3.

Thunderbolt ones work well, I got 860 mbps through one once. A point of clarification. If you ever use bootcamp + bootcamp drivers you have to have the thunderbolt adapter installed when it boots into windows* and if you remove it you have to reinsert and reboot to get it back.

* Yes really, confused me for years.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

IceAgeComing posted:

Is there any way to make the magsafe chargers any less fragile? I've had to get another charger because it frayed near the base (luckily a warranty replacement) and I had to replace one on my old air. I've just stopped using the silly cable tie on the charger itself since there doesn't seem to be a way to use it without putting pressure on the connection to the brick, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything?

Can you put a video of how you're handling them on Youtube? Greetings from my early 2011 MBP with its original charger.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Selklubber posted:

The Apple (USB) ones are 100mb aren't they? Monoprice has a gigabit USB one (even though you can only get 480mbs that's way better than 100mbs)

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 28, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The Thunderbolt adapter is a Broadcom chipset (this is a good brand) gigabit PCIe NIC for $30. If you have a thunderbolt port and you need an ethernet, get one.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

flavor posted:

Can you put a video of how you're handling them on Youtube? Greetings from my early 2011 MBP with its original charger.
Yeah it would be good to see how it's being wrapped. IceAgeComing having issues with a single one could be chalked up to a fluke, but multiple ones having the issue makes me wonder if it's being wrapped wrongly around the pop-out "arms".

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a good program to stress test a Mac? Video + CPU + RAM?

Considering just running some 'make -j8' project in a loop and have some WebGL demo running

Make some complicated graphics in grapher and let them run love animation.

Alternatively? Run a bunch of flash based YouTube video and netflix in silverlight.

IceAgeComing posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630

I have a 2010 45 watt that doesn't have a mark on it and I use it/carry it pretty much constantly.

You can also leave a large loop above the Brick to make sure there's even less strain too.

Digitalpope
Feb 12, 2007

Digitalpope posted:

Thanks again on the input folks....ended up ordering a refurb 13" rMBP with the i5, 16gb ram and the 1tb ssd.

Now to be patient until the 28th - 2nd...

So it arrives today....lo and behold, the i5 that I thought I was getting turns out to be an i7...so basically a top end rMBP for 2300$, after tax and applecare. I don't think I'll report the error in product shipment.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I gave up wrapping it around them after the first charger since it seemed like that caused that one to break; and every time I tried to wrap it up while leaving a decent amount of slack led to the thing just falling out of the twist ties because it's too loose. I'll try putting a video up, but I'm been very careful with it (making sure that I'm carrying the thing by the brick in order to avoid putting pressure on that bit of cable; and when I take it somewhere I try to make sure that there is plenty of slack around the connection to the brick). I can't think of any other way to prevent putting stress on the thing, . I've actually shifted to just putting the thing loose in my bag; which probably doesn't help much but it seems to put less strain on the thing than trying to wrap it in the cable tie.

The thing that confused me this time is that I noticed it after it had been in my house for a few weeks; and I've definitely not moved it much over that time. It definitely wasn't like that before - its something that I check semi-regularly and I wouldn't have used the thing had it been like that before - which makes me even more confused since the plug is about a foot away from where I normally keep it plugged in, so there's a lot of slack in the cable. It most probably is me, but just searching reveals other people with similar problems...

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

I gave up wrapping it around them after the first charger since it seemed like that caused that one to break; and every time I tried to wrap it up while leaving a decent amount of slack led to the thing just falling out of the twist ties because it's too loose. I'll try putting a video up, but I'm been very careful with it (making sure that I'm carrying the thing by the brick in order to avoid putting pressure on that bit of cable; and when I take it somewhere I try to make sure that there is plenty of slack around the connection to the brick). I can't think of any other way to prevent putting stress on the thing, . I've actually shifted to just putting the thing loose in my bag; which probably doesn't help much but it seems to put less strain on the thing than trying to wrap it in the cable tie.

The thing that confused me this time is that I noticed it after it had been in my house for a few weeks; and I've definitely not moved it much over that time. It definitely wasn't like that before - its something that I check semi-regularly and I wouldn't have used the thing had it been like that before - which makes me even more confused since the plug is about a foot away from where I normally keep it plugged in, so there's a lot of slack in the cable. It most probably is me, but just searching reveals other people with similar problems...

Did you read the article above that I posted? A lot of cable strain comes not from transport but when using the computer while it's plugged it. Having no slack while plugged it, rubbing against table or chair legs, moving the computer around.

Do you have pets? Pets love the electronic noise generated by adapters and are driven to attack it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Between two Macbooks I've had my adapter replaced about 6 times now? Probably more. I don't do anything particularly weird with it, I used to just keep it in my backpack and I knew to leave slack when coiling the MagSafe end so it wouldn't be under stress. But - the last time I had to get it swapped was over 2 years ago. The new one with the metal MagSafe that runs parallel to the computer instead of sticking out is *awesome*. It's performed so well I bought another just so I could travel with one all the time I bring my laptop. I wish I could say the same for Lightning cables, mine's all hosed, any day now it's going to stop working. But I guess 2 years is a long time, lucky they're cheap-ish on Monoprice and I have a spare I keep at work.

Mac Hardware megathread - Cable chat and why you should buy an rMBP

(also my cat does not give a gently caress about electronic noise, he likes warm things)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks for the info BobHoward and fleashweasel. Seems like the one other advantage for the dGPU would be 4K monitor support in the long run.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Pivo posted:

I wish I could say the same for Lightning cables, mine's all hosed, any day now it's going to stop working. But I guess 2 years is a long time, lucky they're cheap-ish on Monoprice and I have a spare I keep at work.

From my experience and what seems to be the experience of my customers and coworkers, 2 years is an extremely long time for a lightning cable to still be working properly. I think I still have one of the cables I picked up around launch of the 5 that still works, but it only works in one orientation. Since they've been released, the lightning cable has been the #1 thing we do warranty swaps for at the shop.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hey, at least they replace it for free. I'm sure if I made an appointment at an Apple Store and came in wearing ragged clothes and say, "My grandfather who has now passed away bought me this phone, and now I can't charge it...." they'd swap it out for me. And then they'd bring up my Apple ID which shows that I'm a developer and spend ungodly amounts of money with them and tell me to gently caress off. Though the sob story has worked for a friend of mine with Macbook battery, she wasn't lying though, they replaced that poo poo for her like FOUR years out of warranty for free.

Whatever. At least they're cheap! I mean, microusb cables are like 2 bucks on Monoprice while Lightning is like 10 bucks, but whatever. I do wish Apple would sacrifice some style for realistic strain relief though. It's been such a goddamn pain point ever since I became a Mac user like a decade ago. Every single time, the loving cable fails before any of the proper hardware does. "Oh this is going to be plugged into a cell phone, there's no way anyone will move this cable around and twist it!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Do you have pets? Pets love the electronic noise generated by adapters and are driven to attack it.

Do you have a source for this?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

IUG posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Of course not, it's bullshit. High-frequency noise pisses off cats and dogs and every other animal who can hear it, including young humans, and switching power supplies are "high-frequency" by even the most generous interpretation of the phrase.

There are literally high-frequency emitters out there whose entire purpose is to drive away teens from loitering, because they can still hear those frequencies. Now imagine you're a cat or a dog and can hear even more... We're not so different from them, you know.

Animals get used to it just like we do, though. idk my cat will curl up anywhere warm, he takes no interest in my computer or my amplifier. He likes to sleep on the power brick because it gets warm and he can position himself on it to his liking.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 29, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On the USB3 ethernet adaptor thing, I tried one out and got 40 MB/sec on it which isn't too bad but probably not as good as the TB one.

Pivo posted:

Whatever. At least they're cheap! I mean, microusb cables are like 2 bucks on Monoprice while Lightning is like 10 bucks, but whatever. I do wish Apple would sacrifice some style for realistic strain relief though. It's been such a goddamn pain point ever since I became a Mac user like a decade ago. Every single time, the loving cable fails before any of the proper hardware does. "Oh this is going to be plugged into a cell phone, there's no way anyone will move this cable around and twist it!"

Yeah, and not just the lightning cables but all their cables. I had to take some EarPods back to the fruit stand a few weeks ago.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Are the 15" rMBPs the only ones that have Thunderbolt 2 ports?

I'm looking to upgrade my ancient C2D MBP to something with Thunderbolt since I've got a few drives and a RAID, and while Thunderbolt 2 isn't a must have I'd like to maybe one day add a PCI extender and do something crazy like add an extra GPU for Davinci Resolve.

Meanwhile, I really love the 13" form factor and wish there were more GPU options available for it, but if I had the option of an external GPU that could work. But basically I want the current top end 15" in a 13" form factor.

Are the MBPs due for a refresh any time soon?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

Are the 15" rMBPs the only ones that have Thunderbolt 2 ports?

Are the MBPs due for a refresh any time soon?
No and no, respectively.

Edit: I didn't realize the 13" rMBP has 2 Thunderbolts! It was the Air I was thinking of that only has 1.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 29, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I meant Thunderbolt 2, eg the 20gbps one. As far as I can tell it's only the 15" rMBPs and new Mac Pros. But I'm also slightly :downs:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The 13 also has 2xTB2 according to wikipedia and i ordered mine with that understanding.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 29, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
One of the main reasons I bought the 13 was because of those 2 thunderbolt ports.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My computer is dead! (I think)

So I have an early 2011 15" MBP that I bought end of July, 2011 with 3 years AppleCare. I was using it yesterday, and it just locked up. Could move the mouse, but nothing was responsive. I left it alone for half an hour or so, but still nothing, and the fans were going nuts, so I held the power button down to turn it off.

When I booted back up, the screen with the Apple logo came up with a progress bar underneath. The progress bar to AGES to fill, and when it did, it just turned off. I turned it on again and booted into single user mode (I think) and ran a verify on Disk Utility. That said to Repair Disk, so I did. That failed, so I did it again, and it seemed to be doing better, although the display started getting static-y and weird. That eventually failed and a message said to save all my files.

Now, when I try booting, I get a greenish screen with the Apple logo, permanent horizontal lines, and that progress bar. When the progress bar fills, the computer turns off, and I cry. I've tried booting it in other modes (single user, safe mode, etc), but I just get the same screen with the lines and the progress bar.

Everything I've looked up points to the GPU overheating which is a very well known issue, and that the only fixes are a new logic board or 'reballing' the chip (and even then, people are having the same issues crop up). I'm nowhere near an Apple Store right now (Middle East), but I'll be in the US in November. Is it worth taking it in then? My research says that Apple haven't acknowledged this issue, so the repair would be out of pocket. My other option is grabbing a 13" rMBP now, but that's a lot of cash to drop right now, and I don't feel that I've gotten the value out of the 15" yet.

Edit: This is what it looked like when I was running the repair: http://youtu.be/Bm-oE8r2baQ

angor fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 29, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Applecare is worldwide. Just call and send it in for repair.

e: oh the warranty is expired. Yeah you're kinda hosed.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

angor posted:

My computer is dead! (I think)

So I have an early 2011 15" MBP that I bought end of July, 2011 with 3 years AppleCare. I was using it yesterday, and it just locked up. Could move the mouse, but nothing was responsive. I left it alone for half an hour or so, but still nothing, and the fans were going nuts, so I held the power button down to turn it off.

When I booted back up, the screen with the Apple logo came up with a progress bar underneath. The progress bar to AGES to fill, and when it did, it just turned off. I turned it on again and booted into single user mode (I think) and ran a verify on Disk Utility. That said to Repair Disk, so I did. That failed, so I did it again, and it seemed to be doing better, although the display started getting static-y and weird. That eventually failed and a message said to save all my files.

Now, when I try booting, I get a greenish screen with the Apple logo, permanent horizontal lines, and that progress bar. When the progress bar fills, the computer turns off, and I cry. I've tried booting it in other modes (single user, safe mode, etc), but I just get the same screen with the lines and the progress bar.

Everything I've looked up points to the GPU overheating which is a very well known issue, and that the only fixes are a new logic board or 'reballing' the chip (and even then, people are having the same issues crop up). I'm nowhere near an Apple Store right now (Middle East), but I'll be in the US in November. Is it worth taking it in then? My research says that Apple haven't acknowledged this issue, so the repair would be out of pocket. My other option is grabbing a 13" rMBP now, but that's a lot of cash to drop right now, and I don't feel that I've gotten the value out of the 15" yet.

Edit: This is what it looked like when I was running the repair: http://youtu.be/Bm-oE8r2baQ

Well if your warranty expired within the last month call up and explain the situation to them. If it's on record now at just after the warranty expired it's a lot better than November

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Has you computer been in for repair before? Any time in for repair should be added to the warranty.

If not, call them anyways and ask for help. They might offer a cheaper flat rate repair for you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

angor posted:

:words:

Looks like the logic board failed and decided to take your hard drive along for company, it happens.

Apple seems to know about it, but probably took so much guff over the last time it happened that they don't want to publicize it again.

So to add to the scoreboard, the list of things Apple can't get right: GPUs (from both major vendors!), cable moorings, plastic cases