Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Stoneskin is "living stone," similar to gargoyles (except they can cast stoneskin too, guess they make themselves harder?). Petrification takes a hold of your entire body and converts en masse to non-living stone for a bit. Hence your loss of actions while petrified but not so when stone-skinned.

So with nothing living to convert, stoneskin sits inert.'

Or "Devs hate mummies." Take your pick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Darnit, I lost my Beogh Orc for a stupid reason of underestimating a Storm Dragon, he dealt like 70 damage with a bolt bounce to me. (although somehow I was very squishy this game, I've noticed)

Maybe I ought to use polearms along with the rest of my Orc Buddies...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Since darts are gone, can we add throwing bricks to replace them?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

amuayse posted:

Since darts are gone, can we add throwing bricks to replace them?
Arfbricks, you mean.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Basically yes, because Stones were pretty much the same thing.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Any goon teams still need a person for this tourney? I'm good for a couple wins.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Firebatgyro posted:

Any goon teams still need a person for this tourney? I'm good for a couple wins.

I just made the team ur worst dps nightmare

# TEAMCAPTAIN twelwe

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

C7ty1 posted:

Check-in for Ogrecoming Adversity: Foxfire, Pitch, MrDespair, LordErnie, rodbeard - just to make sure you all are around, still, too! And remember, you can play things other than ogres, just also try to get a good ogre win/score if you can!

If anyone is unable to join Ogrecoming Adversity, hold their slot for me, please :colbert:

Barring that, is anyone down for a second ogre team? Maximum Ogredrive sounds like a good name to me.

e: gently caress it I'm making Maximum Ogredrive. Let me know if you want in and I'll add you at once, otherwise it's gonna be a single fat ogre dying over and over and getting no points. # TEAMCAPTAIN Diplomat

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 29, 2014

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

C7ty1 posted:

Check-in for Ogrecoming Adversity: Foxfire, Pitch, MrDespair, LordErnie, rodbeard - just to make sure you all are around, still, too! And remember, you can play things other than ogres, just also try to get a good ogre win/score if you can!
I will club adversity.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

C7ty1 posted:

Good to go! I am splatting formicids in trunk in hopes that come tournament time I will just be happy with ogres being able to teleport.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

C7ty1 posted:

I'm ready!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Team One Weird Randart Discovered by a Mom has a slot as one of our players is busy. Anyone?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Stoat posted:

Team One Weird Randart Discovered by a Mom

MDs hate her!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

More good team names this tournament:

Xom like it Zot
Tengu Barada Nikto
Before You Rune You Gotta Crawl

And then there's this not as good team name but their players are doing a thing

cashews are a good source of healthy fats perfect for complimenting a plant-based diet
cheibrodos (captain), cheibrahdos, cheibroheem, cheibrology, cheibrotimus, cheibruu

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

More good team names this tournament:

Xom like it Zot
Tengu Barada Nikto
Before You Rune You Gotta Crawl

And then there's this not as good team name but their players are doing a thing

cashews are a good source of healthy fats perfect for complimenting a plant-based diet
cheibrodos (captain), cheibrahdos, cheibroheem, cheibrology, cheibrotimus, cheibruu

My favourite is currently More than a Felid, personally. As soon as I saw it I went to play Boston because I'm not a barbarian.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A berserker's keyboard?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

A berserker's keyboard?

The 'a' is for pouncing!

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

dis astranagant posted:

A berserker's keyboard?

It's clearly a keyboard for felid berserkers (before felids could use wands)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Bug: Can not start game

Bug: No way of resting for better survival
(Or alternatively, if no rest for the wicked)
Bug: If danger HP set, can soft-lock game

Guess these can be solved by being a tile player.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I assume they have autobutcher in their rcfile.

It is a travesty for that photo to have the mouse in it though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

bug: no way to use stairs

Jeffrey posted:

I assume they have autobutcher in their rcfile.

It is a travesty for that photo to have the mouse in it though.

the guy I stole this from posted:

Today, 15:53
Dear Sir, i'm a loving tiler, but no way i am a loving tile clicker. I just need my mouse to do things before tournament actually starts.

presumably he wrote that with the on-screen keyboard

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

I know this is sacrilege to a certain set of people, but there is very little reason to play ASCII anymore. Yeah, when it was the only online option, or when online tiles was in it's infancy, there was still a compelling reason for it, but modern tiles has a better interface and gives the player more information on the same screen than ASCII. At this point, I cannot think of a good reason to be playing ASCII barring some extenuating circumstances, and of course, 'because it's what I'm used to'.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I like playing console for a few reasons

- i'm used to it
- i like the list of monsters on the side, unless that's been added to tiles recently it doesn't have that
- i can parse console screen in a fraction of a second, don't feel like learning hundreds of tiles
- it's easier to get away with playing at work

I'm not a zealot about it tho :]

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah, I use ascii primarily because I have way more practice quickly parsing english letters than I do small pictures of monsters. I'm not gonna preach it I just play faster and like it better that way. Tiles is also a little more laggy I find, but I still use it for spectating because it's convenient to have it in a browser tab.

Also with ascii I can make a terminal window big enough to show the entire map without having to scroll around, hugeterm forever. I definitely wish there were a better way to show monster weapons in ascii but what can you do?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wednesday posted:

- it's easier to get away with playing at work

Reading this made me laugh. It's the same reason I still use console as well.

Enemy list is pretty nice actually, although I find it a lot less important on tiles, but it is still a nice touch.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mr. Wednesday posted:

- i like the list of monsters on the side, unless that's been added to tiles recently it doesn't have that

Webtiles has this, but offline tiles doesn't. Why? Who knows!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think even when you are familiar with the tiles, it takes a bit longer to process each screen and notice relevant changes.

Overall 3 rune games take about 84 minutes longer for tiles players, 120 minutes if you only look at recent games.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

I think even when you are familiar with the tiles, it takes a bit longer to process each screen and notice relevant changes.

Overall 3 rune games take about 84 minutes longer for tiles players, 120 minutes if you only look at recent games.

I think this is largely because console players hold the most experience. I feel like I can parse screens equally as quickly, with maybe a small edge going to ASCII earlier before items get identified, because you effectively have dozens of graphics for ' and ! and / while only 'needing' one, until of course, identification icons start making that easier.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, I can parse ASCII faster than the tiles. They're less noisy to me. I would say that if I did play tile I'd probably win more just because I'd be forced to play slower.

That keyboard is a perfect metaphor for the obsessive Crawl player: Can't eat, can't sleep, can't quit.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So from the OP: Inventory weight limits: gone.

Does this mean I can carry as many items as I want without penalty?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Up to as many inventory slots as usual! So you can stack arrows into the thousands without a worry about getting burdened.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

I definitely wish there were a better way to show monster weapons in ascii but what can you do?

As of 0.15, you can use ctrl-t to toggle between monster glyphs & the weapons they're holding. (In console.)

Still not nearly as good as tiles, of course, but might be an improvement for console players? Probably less tedious than x-ing everything.

Arrhythmia posted:

Webtiles has this, but offline tiles doesn't. Why? Who knows!

I believe you can toggle offline tiles to display a list of monsters;

It's the little devil face midway down the icons left of the inventory, iirc.

Weird UI.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

As of 0.15, you can use ctrl-t to toggle between monster glyphs & the weapons they're holding. (In console.)

Still not nearly as good as tiles, of course, but might be an improvement for console players? Probably less tedious than x-ing everything.

...whoa. My ideas for it involved the monster list. What I do now is ctrl+x and look to see if there is anything dangerous that I need to find with x, but this way sounds better.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I think this is largely because console players hold the most experience. I feel like I can parse screens equally as quickly, with maybe a small edge going to ASCII earlier before items get identified, because you effectively have dozens of graphics for ' and ! and / while only 'needing' one, until of course, identification icons start making that easier.
Two things:
1. the most prolific tiles 3 rune winner (bmfx) is about 2 hours slower on average than the most prolific 3 rune console winner (78291), counting only 3 rune games. bmfx is faster than the average console player by about 45 minutes per 3 rune game; 78291 is faster by 2 hours 50 minutes.
2. your perception of your own perception is about the shakiest thing there is, and estimating the duration of very short things where you're doing a lot of thinking about other things is a very foggy field indeed.

None of this matters as much as enjoying the game but "there's no reason to play console" is wrong for reasons that are not entirely subjective.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I believe you can toggle offline tiles to display a list of monsters;

It's the little devil face midway down the icons left of the inventory, iirc.

Weird UI.

Not the same. Weird little devil-face just shows you the tiles of the monsters, it doesn't give their name or colour it based on roughly how dangerous they are like console/Webtiles does.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Just a reminder that the tourney starts in just at a half-hour, get in IRC you goons!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Enemy list is pretty nice actually, although I find it a lot less important on tiles, but it is still a nice touch.
Webtiles has had this for years, but its still the most often cited reason for preferring console. :saddowns:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't wait to splat a million octopodes/ogres, starting roughly now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Tournament starts tonight? drat, had a promising HOSk going. Oh well, does anyone need another team member?? I got a lot of points time before last i think. Can easily do a 15 runer.

• Locked thread