Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

bossfight posted:

YOU SHOULD DOUBT IT. It is loving ambitious. But just because it is loving ambitious doesn't mean it should not be tried. Maybe now isn't the right time, and maybe the technology isn't good enough.

You're talking about a first-person shooter and some guys manning stations. I wouldn't exactly call that "loving ambitious", I'd call it loving overstretching.

And no, SC's original promise was not that, it was Privateer TNG. Actually it was only Wing Commander TNG before they hit 5M back on the Kickstarter, which did not happen on the first day by a long shot.

Alas, they've sold you this promise now, which is fair, but it's still overstretching.

vvvv
yeah, so because Privateer TNG was the original promise (and not so much WC TNG), it had to include ship interiors, boarding, and multi-station crewing first-pass, got it.

bossfight posted:

I feel pretty confident of that.
i guess that's something.
vvvv

double riveting fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

double riveting posted:

You're talking about a first-person shooter and some guys manning stations. I wouldn't exactly call that "loving ambitious", I'd call it loving overstretching.

And no, SC's original promise was not that, it was Privateer TNG. Actually it was only Wing Commander TNG before they hit 5M back on the Kickstarter, which did not happen on the first day by a long shot.

It's ambitious when you do it seamlessly as part of a space sim. And I don't mean that Guns of Icarus Online is so overly complicated that it cannot be done in space. But GoIO doesn't feature boarding action, doesn't really allow people to disembark or change ships, doesn't do fuzzy matchmaking in the background in an open world sandbox context. When you factor in the complexities of a first-person-shooter mixed with any-other-game-type, you have to consider that it is not as simple as just making those two games independently. This should be obvious but I get the impression some people don't appreciate it enough.

Also, the Privateer TNG was always the original intent for SC. Hence why the Kickstarter title for the project was "Star Citizen" and not "Squadron 42". Delivering the Persistent Universe element of it had a pre-requisite dollar amount attached to it for it to be feasible, but it was always the main objective. Frankly, for this to be untrue the entire Kickstarter page would make no sense whatsoever. Why the gently caress would anyone pledge for ship packages to use in the PU if there was a distinct possibility that the PU might never exist.

I think you got confused by the fact that the PU wasn't originally promised to be released with 1.0 of the full game. So no, I don't think I should have said 'overstretching' because most of the funding that has been poured into this game banked on the promises made for the PU gameplay... I feel pretty confident of that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

double riveting posted:

Actually it was only Wing Commander TNG before they hit 5M back on the Kickstarter

I would pledge serious money for a Wing Commander game starring Patrick Stewart.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

double riveting posted:

i guess that's something.
vvvv
It would be if Star Wars Galaxies hadn't done it already, 10 years ago.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

So - if someone has not noticed yet, Lesnick is at the DragonCon, doing this little panel:

Sunday, August 31st
10:00 AM – Community Relations Q&A (Hilton, Grand Salon D)
Panelists discuss strategies to avoid choking the life out of snot-nosed, whiny, entitled gamers and other fun stories about life in the trenches. (Ben Lesnick)

With honest titles like that, I wonder what CR's panel would have been called... Sadly he will go to PAX Prime instead

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bossfight posted:

It's ambitious when you do it seamlessly as part of a space sim. And I don't mean that Guns of Icarus Online is so overly complicated that it cannot be done in space. But GoIO doesn't feature boarding action

Boarding is stupid. There I said it.

Boarding actions are never balanced in any game ever that isn't part of the strategy genre. Mark my words that in Star Citizen boarding will either be so powerful/reliable that every single engagement between capital ships will involve boarding or that it will be so hard to pull off that nobody will ever do it. Guns of Icarus Online not having boarding isn't a limitation, it's a good loving decision. The game could only possibly be made worse by boarding.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Courthouse posted:

Also it'd be nothing but cocks and goatse.
You say that like it's a bad thing :goatsecx:

Btw, is anyone else enjoying this thread?
Not that I care about what they are posting (like most threads on RSI it's probably the same arguments being rehashed ad infinitum) but my inner bomber bro hopes that CIG will give us free torpedos just to shut them up:allears:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

What do you mean assaulting something that is composed of nothing but cramped corridors with zero cover is a bad idea?!?!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

bossfight posted:

This massive effort to deliver an immersive first-person experience is the core of what the SC project is all about. Nothing about the game is more important. It also happens to be the exact thing I, and I suspect many others, have wanted a space sim to have since forever but it always seemed impossible to expect. So here we have SC trying to deliver the impossible, and understandably people will doubt it.

YOU SHOULD DOUBT IT. It is loving ambitious. But just because it is loving ambitious doesn't mean it should not be tried. Maybe now isn't the right time, and maybe the technology isn't good enough. But there is reason enough to believe it might be possible. I dropped a load of cash on this because ready or not, this is the best chance we have at seeing a game of this ambition, in this genre, happen in the next 15 years probably. That doesn't mean other space sim games won't ride this current trend into existence... but how many of them will attempt to do something in this scale if SC bombs? I'd guess nobody would ever dare.

Does anyone really want SC to fail? Plenty of people look forward to the inevitable shitfests around certain aspects being basically impossible (making "we sold these spaceships but you weren't paying for power!" work), and god knows that expecting it to fail is reasonable, but does anyone really want it to fail in the sense that they will be upset if it doesn't?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Keiya posted:

Does anyone really want SC to fail? Plenty of people look forward to the inevitable shitfests around certain aspects being basically impossible (making "we sold these spaceships but you weren't paying for power!" work), and god knows that expecting it to fail is reasonable, but does anyone really want it to fail in the sense that they will be upset if it doesn't?

This is the internet. Of course there are people like that.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

macnbc posted:

This is the internet. Of course there are people like that.

This is also SA. Even when we want something to be real we're too cynical to believe something good might actually happen.

I mean... even if SC doesn't live up to 70% of it's promises it still stands a good chance of being awesome for what eventually does get delivered. The playable AC stuff is on the cusp of being really fun, it just needs some TLC to push it a bit further. And AC is like less than 10% of the overall deliverable planned from SC.

People need to accept that SC can't possibly live up to the retarded level of hype it is getting, but that in and of itself is OK because it will probably still be awesome for what it eventually could turn out to be. It's like eating a delicious $30 steak and complaining because you didn't get the $50 dollar steak.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SirTagz posted:

So - if someone has not noticed yet, Lesnick is at the DragonCon, doing this little panel:

Nothing involving lesnick can be called little.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

tooterfish posted:

Star Wars Galaxies

I really wish people would stop acting like this is relevant. Yeah Galaxies did some stuff, but did it do the stuff right? Deep thoughts.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Gwaihir posted:

Nothing involving lesnick can be called little.

:vince:

So today is the day for the "why the next patch is delayed" letter right? I find it funny that we are at the point that most people on the official forums expect delays now too.

Of course, some of them go along with that whole "I don't even need a patch, I hope they work on it for decades" crap, but eh?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

bossfight posted:

SC is the only game that is trying to up-front deliver all of its ambitious bullet-point features. Elite might steal SC's thunder if they can do a better job with crewed ship gameplay... but that is way too far off right now. To my knowledge, there are no other space-sim games actively developing robust first-person gameplay features. None of them have given us any reason to believe they will exist or be fun any more than SC has.

*cough*AngelsFallFirst*cough*
Sorry I got something stuck in my throat continue praising Chris Roberts for promising to do something with 50 million that a small team of ex-modders have actually done with no funding.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

bossfight posted:

I really wish people would stop acting like this is relevant. Yeah Galaxies did some stuff, but did it do the stuff right? Deep thoughts.
Who cares if it did it right, it still did it. Is the fact that Elite's engine already uses double precision numbers not relevant to Star Citizen being first to do that either?

Or is Star Citizen the only game that counts, so it gets to be "super ambitious, so unique!" no matter what?

When this stuff is used to justify the pace and quality of development, it's perfectly relevant to bring up the fact that other people actually have done similar things already.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Why do we still have people that are optimistic about this game? Not just optimistic, but plain delusional. Anyone who's been part of this 'experience' for more than 6 months should have had all their hope crushed a long time ago and turned into a cynic. Just look at Beer...

Also, AFF looks pretty cool. I want to play that game.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

tooterfish posted:

Who cares if it did it right, it still did it.

It matters because a bad example is not a relevant example to expedite the process of doing something right. Galaxies is only relevant by showing a great example of what not-to-do. Thanks Galaxies :suicide:, we learned much from your demise.

Now, AngelsFallFirst looks like legit fun. I had not heard of this one before. That might actually be a productive example to use.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

bossfight posted:

It matters because a bad example is not a relevant example to expedite the process of doing something right. Galaxies is only relevant by showing a great example of what not-to-do. Thanks Galaxies :suicide:, we learned much from your demise.

Now, AngelsFallFirst looks like legit fun. I had not heard of this one before. That might actually be a productive example to use.

I just don't get the 'it'll never happen again' comment. If you think big publishers haven't realised what a cash cow the space-sim genre can be, and aren't keeping their eyes out for studios to push out something similar, well...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Barnsy posted:

They've even had a racing game spin-off and an MMORTS - both of which were at the playable stage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Barnsy posted:

Why do we still have people that are optimistic about this game? Not just optimistic, but plain delusional. Anyone who's been part of this 'experience' for more than 6 months should have had all their hope crushed a long time ago and turned into a cynic. Just look at Beer...

Because plenty of us want new wing commander and by all signs we're going to get a fantastic version of just that. Maybe ramming pubbie capital ships to death in the far future is a side benefit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

Because plenty of us want new wing commander and by all signs we're going to get a fantastic version of just that.

when?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

Because plenty of us want new wing commander and by all signs we're going to get a fantastic version of just that.

What are some of these signs?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

In two weeks!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What are some of these signs?

The UK studio that's been actually doing things is the one doing it. I mean, bring out the lol brigade, but whatever~

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Gwaihir posted:

Because plenty of us want new wing commander and by all signs we're going to get a fantastic version of just that. Maybe ramming pubbie capital ships to death in the far future is a side benefit.

As much as we'd like to believe that, this is generation suck, and everything really is delivered in poo poo form.

The last thing that was ever delivered in non-poo poo form was Bioshock Infinite, and before that, Half-life.

I played a bit of the pre-epsilon Elite Dangerous, so I know these things.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Bioshock Infinite is your measure of non-poo poo? Uhhhh ok. (Sorry brofist!)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Metal Gear Revengeance was pretty fantastic. I didn't need to tweak or change or patch anything except setting my resolution and it was ready to rock.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chomp8645 posted:

Boarding actions are never balanced in any game ever that isn't part of the strategy genre. Mark my words that in Star Citizen boarding will either be so powerful/reliable that every single engagement between capital ships will involve boarding or that it will be so hard to pull off that nobody will ever do it. Guns of Icarus Online not having boarding isn't a limitation, it's a good loving decision. The game could only possibly be made worse by boarding.

If I had to theorycraft I would say that it's going to be powerful/reliable when it happens, but getting to the boarding stage won't be trivial. In fact I bet the barrier to entry is going to be so high (killing every thruster on a starship) that it'll be fairly rare. On the other hand, once you're inside the HOTAS wielding occupants will probably suck at FPS almost as much as we do. The gameplay they're trying to evoke is apparently Rogue Spear so hopefully staying in cover and shooting the idiots who rush in will be satisfying.

Barnsy posted:

I would say my hope hasn't been crushed so much as my expectations ruthlessly tempered. I let myself get wrapped up in stuff like the PAX East reveal and all of the optimism, but after months of delays and no real substance to show for it (relative to what they were hyping) I'm pretty much taking a step back and letting them go at their own pace.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I, personally, await the day where I get to read giant 20-page long rageposts by some autist, while he complains that his $2500 supermegaultra internet spaceship isn't instantly obliterating all these plebs, and that *GASP* some of the unwashed peasants can actually BUY A SHIP THAT LOOKS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN HIS BUT PERFORMS JUST AS WELL. I. cannot. loving. wait. for. this. :allears:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Chomp8645 posted:

Boarding actions are never balanced in any game ever that isn't part of the strategy genre.

Puzzle Pirates! Of course, almost every encounter in that game ends in boarding, but that's by design.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So now all pre $52m backers have jetpacks, the potential for Moonraker shenanigans has me moist with anticipation

oh wait, sorry, wrong tone, I forgot which bandwagon I was supposed to be on: This lack of game sucks you guys why did i throw my money away

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Much to the surprise of literally no one .9 has been officially delayed

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14111-Arena-Commander-V9-Status-Update

Also isn't the FPS poo poo actually being shown at PAX Prime? When is that even supposed to happen (never)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bolow posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14111-Arena-Commander-V9-Status-Update

Also isn't the FPS poo poo actually being shown at PAX Prime? When is that even supposed to happen (never)

FPS is supposed to be PAX Australia.

I actually don't mind the delay because they're being much more up front about it. One of my major criticisms of CIG has been that they tend to be remarkably silent when things go wrong, even after they've flat out told people to expect something in a specific time frame. This is much better.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Honestly CIG pretty much said there would be a delay several days ago, so I'll agree that's better than their usual silence.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I think the only part of this process that I'm getting a little tired of is the blown delivery dates. I know it will take time and projects get pushed back as issues arise, but it is a little tiresome to hear the "2 weeks" stuff. He already posted how they plan to keep everybody updated next week on the progress, so it doesn't sound like it will be next week either. So I guess 2 more weeks.

They haven't learned by now to just quadruple every estimate they have. If they think it will be "2 weeks" just tell everybody 2 months, that way when it comes out in 5-7 weeks everybody will be happy it came out early. I know 2 months doesn't sound as flashy as 2 weeks, but it's more reasonable considering their history.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

If at this point people still think CIG's "two weeks" equates to 14 days, they are a loving idiot.

Two weeks is like CCP saying 'soon'

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

Bolow posted:

quote:

The most major “blocker” bug, as discussed in the Gamescom presentation, is the introduction of the new Leaderboard system to this build.

Who the gently caress cares about leaderboards in a loving pre-alpha game Jesus F. Christ.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i am shocked that there has been another delay from Chrios Robots and his spaceship making company. this is an outrage.

also did i read it right and idiots have given him nearly 52 million? holy poo poo what a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnO1sGjfJ_Q&t=121s

• Locked thread