Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Captain Matchbox posted:

When are reviews gonna start rolling in? I already know its gonna be high 90's and perfect scores across the internet regardless of Activision's sizeable marketing budget, but I still want a larf

You know the drill. Review embargo day of release save for a few "rebel" sites that sneak out a review over the weekend and also probably chosen few sites might get the go ahead from Activision if their review is above a certain threshold.

Honestly, I want, in writing, as a disclaimer, any reviewer who reviews this game to state, in no uncertain terms: "I played this game to completion, I know what the game is from front to back. Here is my score."

Because honestly, if they play 3-6 hours of this game and review it... I'm not sure their review is any more valuable than my Beta impressions. You know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

monkeu posted:

Is there a reason we need a new thread on release? I mean I'm happy to start a new one, but why would we need to? I was just planning on updating the current OP / FAQ appropriately and removing beta stuff etc.
Basically so all the people who don't know anything about how to play the game or want to know about a good deal end up just finding posts of people crowing about finally getting the game and how much they like it.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Well if there's no real good reason then I'm just not starting a new thread. Deal with it :clint:

And yeah I'm guessing reviews won't be until release day, or possibly even after if they don't want reviewers potentially spilling the beans on stuff they've been keeping secret still. Here's my review: best game ever 100 / 100 gently caress all other games :swoon:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

monkeu posted:

Well if there's no real good reason then I'm just not starting a new thread. Deal with it :clint:

And yeah I'm guessing reviews won't be until release day, or possibly even after if they don't want reviewers potentially spilling the beans on stuff they've been keeping secret still. Here's my review: best game ever 100 / 100 gently caress all other games :swoon:

Would you call the game a Master Chiefment for bungie?

As for a new thread I think the idea is for a clean slate so people don't read an old thread with tonnes of backlog and outdated info.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Feenix posted:

You know the drill. Review embargo day of release save for a few "rebel" sites that sneak out a review over the weekend and also probably chosen few sites might get the go ahead from Activision if their review is above a certain threshold.

Honestly, I want, in writing, as a disclaimer, any reviewer who reviews this game to state, in no uncertain terms: "I played this game to completion, I know what the game is from front to back. Here is my score."

Because honestly, if they play 3-6 hours of this game and review it... I'm not sure their review is any more valuable than my Beta impressions. You know?

I want in writing as a disclaimer that the person reviewing this game is not a "gaming journalist"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Stormgale posted:

Would you call the game a Master Chiefment for bungie?

As for a new thread I think the idea is for a clean slate so people don't read an old thread with tonnes of backlog and outdated info.

No one reads beyond the last page anyway.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The reason is that I'm a dumb dumb who forgot this thread is only 27 pages deep and because the name makes me laugh very much.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Feenix posted:

Page views. Everybody wants to know if it's worth buying the day it comes out so they'll write a lovely review and rush it to publication just to say they have the latest review of hot new game.

I don't really know of any sites that make consistently good reviews that come a week or more later.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lblitzer posted:

Page views. Everybody wants to know if it's worth buying the day it comes out so they'll write a lovely review and rush it to publication just to say they have the latest review of hot new game.

I don't really know of any sites that make consistently good reviews that come a week or more later.

They don't necessarily need a week, they just need to have gotten it ahead of time. (Though that does happen less and less these days...)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Bungie will remove the elemental immunities at some point, that much is guaranteed. It's literally the number one 'don't make this gently caress-up' in the rpg book which dozens of developers have heeded the hard way, yet bungie still hasn't learned. The main reason being that players are forced to use gear that isn't the one they want to use/worked for. There are also only three elements and three weapon slots. The capacity to annoy and inconvenience is big there.

Swap to your alternate spec and switch guns before entering a dungeon with elemental immunities, done.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just wish a mod would change the thread title to DESTINY: Blood Sugar Space Magik.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

DrNutt posted:

I just wish a mod would change the thread title to DESTINY: Blood Sugar Space Magik.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are terrible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

monkeu posted:

I like you and your nice thread but gently caress you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DrNutt "gets it."

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

monkeu posted:

More like the Golden Gun Chilli Peppers.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Eej posted:

Swap to your alternate spec and switch guns before entering a dungeon with elemental immunities, done.

That's not the point. That's like saying it was perfectly ok to equip all NR gear to take on Princess Huhuran, or all FrR gear to take on Sapphiron. If you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, you're probably not qualified to talk about the problem here as you've had zero experience with this kind of gameplay and don't know how frustrating it has been for players forced to gear up adequately for one-off fights. Forcing players to deviate from their preferred and typical builds and gearsets just to beat gimmick elemental fights is a proven Bad Idea.

I'd even :toxx: myself. Elemental immunities gone from Destiny within a year.

quote:

Dear Bungie, listening to this man is a Bad Idea do not do it

:pwn:

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 30, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DrNutt posted:

I made this exact post like 2 weeks ago.

So what I'm basically saying is... :cool:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fateo McMurray posted:

But on the other hand, he's right.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Where is anyone getting the idea that there are elemental immunities?

Does the toxx apply if they aren't actually in the game to be removed?

VVVV If one thing is universally true about games, it's that 90% of things supposedly said by the developers actually weren't. I'm curious if there's any source for this rumor.

Paniolo fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 30, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bungie.

I guess your right. Using the same play style for every encounter sure sounds like max fun. Bungie sure is dumb for forcing you to play outside your comfort zone for raid bosses.

Edit: I swear I read it in an interview about things being immune to void poo poo and needing to change stats

Edit: oh you work for bungie? Are you icewolf or a different guy

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 30, 2014

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Closest I can find is in the raid video they mention that modifiers might be applied to weekly Nightfall missions that make enemies 75% resistant to a certain damage type. I don't remember them ever mentioning enemies being immune to certain damage types in the raid.

Here, about 5 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRQlCX3Ygs

Nightfall missions are daily and weekly challenges with special rewards, and apparently they can have modifiers applied to them to make them more challenging. Like having skulls activated in Halo I guess.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
If it's just limited to dailies and not raids then I don't see the problem with swapping out weapons and possibly your kits for one time. In a raid scenario when you have to have, say, a Defender Titan and a Sunsinger Warlock for an encounter it would be silly to make it resistant to required roles.

The Nightfall stuff sounds like heroic strikes as far as I can tell.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's not the point. That's like saying it was perfectly ok to equip all NR gear to take on Princess Huhuran, or all FrR gear to take on Sapphiron. If you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, you're probably not qualified to talk about the problem here as you've had zero experience with this kind of gameplay and don't know how frustrating it has been for players forced to gear up adequately for one-off fights. Forcing players to deviate from their preferred and typical builds and gearsets just to beat gimmick elemental fights is a proven Bad Idea.

I'd even :toxx: myself. Elemental immunities gone from Destiny within a year.

Yes, I did in fact raid from MC up to and including the end of Naxxramas. I can assure you that stacking Nature Resist is nothing like having a set of weapons for each damage type along with the ability to switch specs at will. Sure, you lose your secondary and special ammo when switching but that's pretty much the only penalty aside from being forced to have a good setup for every damage type. If your main Assault Rifle is Void damage and you pick up another AR that is Arc damage there is no inherent penalty to your gun's stats like there was with Nature Resist since damage type doesn't consume item budget.

I mean whoah maybe your Arc damage weapon set will use a different weapon type because you picked up an amazing Arc Shotgun and because of your luck with loot you have a different playstyle to go with it. Make do with what you got and all. I'll keep that toxx in mind though.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

MMORPGs are Dumb and Bad, let's stop arguing about whether this game is like a Dumb Bad thing when we know it is a Fun Good thing, let's be nice good talk instead of make bad argue

Edit: the Chorezone is for Rad Dads and Bomb Moms only, no Rude Dudes allowed.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Just remember to rewatch the trailer for Destiny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA

"I attack the darkness!"

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Speaking of rad bad destiny dads, my dad doesn't have the same child care issues as some of you guys because I'm now 25 years old and he's gonna be playing it with me via co-op.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Don't console games have built in acceleration that would make a xim feel awkward to use, like playing with mouse acceleration on a PC, or do they use special wizardry to get around it?

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Quinch posted:

Don't console games have built in acceleration that would make a xim feel awkward to use, like playing with mouse acceleration on a PC, or do they use special wizardry to get around it?

The XIM has what they call a "smart translator".

Its basically has the smarts inside the unit to try and make your experience as much like playing on a PC as possible.

Usually games with a high turn speed work well (like Cod). Games with a slow turn speed are worthless with the XIM.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

CheeseFactory posted:

Its basically has the smarts inside the unit to try and make your experience as much like playing on a PC as possible.

Usually games with a high turn speed work well (like Cod). Games with a slow turn speed are worthless with the XIM.

Destiny has separate vertical and horizontal sensitivities, doesn't it? And you cannot change the default slow vertical sensitivity.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So we can argue with a bit more information in regards to raiding: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12068

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

CheeseFactory posted:

Thanks, that makes more sense as to why people would buy one. Personally, I play console to lie back and use a controller, plus most games I'm comfortable using a controller, though for some guns / games with no aim assist I can see why it gives a big advantage.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Ularg posted:

Destiny has separate vertical and horizontal sensitivities, doesn't it? And you cannot change the default slow vertical sensitivity.

I'm not really sure, but the smart translator would do its best to try and compensate for that kind of thing. If you look up XIM4 Destiny footage on youtube the guys using them seem to do well and not hindered by the vertical aiming that much, from what i can see.

But their turn speeds aren't the greatest. In COD it's pretty easy to do a 180 with a XIM, in Destiny your not going to get that kind of result.

From what the XIM guys say, Destiny handles in an almost identical way to Halo, as far as the XIM is concerned. Same thing with COD, you could take a smart translator from MW2 and it would work just fine in Blacks Ops 2 or Ghosts.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Levantine posted:

So we can argue with a bit more information in regards to raiding: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12068

Sounds really good imo. I'm hoping goon Raid groups are patient with each other, though! I'm not going to manage to scrape together a Raid group outside of communities like SA.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Can someone post that here, some of us at work are not able to go to bungie.net. Namely myself since the admins here (my friend) is a nazi with the firewall filters. Also, here is some more bad gameplay from yours truly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTQUTmhYH60

VV Thanks!

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 30, 2014

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Can someone post that here, some of us at work are not able to go to bungie.net. Namely myself since the admins here (my friend) is a nazi with the firewall filters. Also, here is some more bad gameplay from yours truly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTQUTmhYH60

Thus, Design Lead Luke Smith has become uncharacteristically chatty about them. Through a contrived question and answer session under the hot lights, he’s spilling the first of the beans that lie between you and the completion of the toughest content Bungie has built to date. Check out the debriefing that he offered up voluntarily:

Q:  I read somewhere that it took 45 minutes just to open the door to the Raid, what's the deal with that? 

Luke:  Sounds like that group (it was DeeJ’s!) had some communication issues. 

For the majority of Raid encounters, you're going to need to work as a group. That group of six is trying to form a metaphorical key which opens a given encounter's lock. 

By design, we don’t provide much in the way of information to groups in Raids. There aren’t waypoints to follow, or objectives explaining what to do in a given situation. 
Realistically, for many players, they’ll be turning to the Internet for help on how to do a bunch of the Raid. 

There's an old Bungie quote about not wanting players to go to the Internet to figure out solutions. That quote certainly wasn't about Raiding in Destiny. 

We fully expect players to either publish strategy guides on the Internet or keep their group's secrets guarded close to the vest in an effort to keep their rewards even more exclusive. 

Once your group understands how to open the Vault, it's not going to take anywhere near 45 minutes. 

Q:  What about the rumor that some “clan” spent 16+ hours playing the Raid and didn't beat it, what's the deal with that? 

Luke:  There's a whole bunch of missing information in that sentence. So let's just talk about that particular weekend. 

In March 2014, we brought an organized clan of folks in to playtest the Raid. This would be one of the only times the Vault of Glass would be played by external participants.  

These folks are shooter players, not -- for the most part -- Raiders from other games. They are a group of people used to working together primarily in competitive multiplayer games, and hadn't been exposed to an experience like this before. 

We arranged the 24 visitors into four teams. 

We put them through a pretty lengthy UR study, filmed them, datamined their adventures, and watched them play it live. Later, the Raid team spent a bunch of time watching player perspective films we captured during the day.

We did not offer them help, tips or tricks during their time here. We didn't clarify mechanics for them. We watched, listened and learned. 

In two days of playing - where they broke for meals and had some ramp up time with the game on day 1, here's what happened:

Two groups made it to the final encounter.  Neither group defeated it.

One group made it to the final encounter, but had to be skipped through an earlier encounter. 

One group washed out and elected to go back to playing Strikes, Missions and Patrols. 

With the goal of as many players beating the Normal Raid as were willing to organize, cooperate and communicate, we made a bunch of tuning changes through the rest of the Spring. 

Q:  A “Normal Raid?” What is that? How does difficulty work in Destiny Raids? 

Luke:  There are two difficulties for Raiding: Normal and Hard. Upon finishing a Raid on Normal, players can attempt the Hard-mode version of the Raid. 

Normal mode is about learning the mechanics, working together as a team and building strategies to overcome the encounters. 

For instance: I’ve gotten a handful of Bungie groups through the Raid on Normal, and you guys (the playerbase) are inevitably better at the game, smarter tacticians, and more clever than we are. 

Hard modes demand execution. 

In addition to deadlier combatants, tighter tuning windows for encounter mechanics and a handful of targeted differences, Hard-mode encounters leverage an even harsher death penalty than the Normal modes.

Were we to track things like World Firsts, we'd be verifying Hard-mode kills instead of completing the Raid on Normal. 

Q:  Seriously, how long will it take, I have a life.

Luke:  Because we store your progress in a given week, you don't need to clear the activity in one-go.  Your group could simply make your way into the Vault and call it an evening, reconvene later in the week and pick up where you left off.

However, your progress for the week is reset each Tuesday at the Weekly Reset. 

Q:  What's kind of loot will I get in the Raid?

Luke:  Each class has an entire set of gear to chase across the two difficulties. 

And of course, there are Raid weapons. Each of Destiny’s nine weapon archetypes (Auto Rifle, Hand Cannon, Pulse Rifle, Fusion Rifle, HMG, Rocket Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun and Scout Rifle) has a Legendary version that has been created specifically for the Raid. 

The armor and weapons are completely unique to the Raid activity. They are visually and thematically connected to the combatants you'll fight in the Vault of Glass. 

And of course, there are more rewards behind the Vault’s door that we won’t detail today.

Q:  How does looting work in Destiny Raids?

Luke:  The loot you get is private to you - just like the rest of the game. 

Obtaining loot from a given encounter means that character is not eligible to receive loot from the same encounter again in a given calendar week. This is often referred to as a "Lockout." 

I italicized “character” above, because if you have multiple Raid-ready characters, you can run the Raid again on a different character - and the Lockout isn't applied to it. 

Each encounter has a fixed inventory of items it can award to players, e.g., certain pieces of gear or weapons can only drop from certain encounters. 

Lockouts are cleared at the Weekly Reset.  

Q:  Would you give an example of a mechanic that we'd face in a Destiny Raid? 

Luke:  Absolutely not. 

Hey. I never promised he would tell you everything.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Eej posted:

Yes, I did in fact raid from MC up to and including the end of Naxxramas. I can assure you that stacking Nature Resist is nothing like having a set of weapons for each damage type along with the ability to switch specs at will. Sure, you lose your secondary and special ammo when switching but that's pretty much the only penalty aside from being forced to have a good setup for every damage type. If your main Assault Rifle is Void damage and you pick up another AR that is Arc damage there is no inherent penalty to your gun's stats like there was with Nature Resist since damage type doesn't consume item budget.

I mean whoah maybe your Arc damage weapon set will use a different weapon type because you picked up an amazing Arc Shotgun and because of your luck with loot you have a different playstyle to go with it. Make do with what you got and all. I'll keep that toxx in mind though.

The reason why resists sets were stupid in WoW was not because it wouldn't let you use your regular gear, they were dumb because they forced you to grind just to beat one boss. Your playstyle never changed just because you had a different set of gear.

The problem with elemental resist bosses is it forces you to change up your play style by changing equipment.

A better way to design stuff around elements would be to make some bosses take more damage from a certain elemental, that way you are rewarding players who swap instead of punishing those that don't.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

monkeu posted:

Pretty much.

On an unrelated note, after playing the beta, I was unsure how the golden gun worked. Was it timer based or just three shots? And dear god, if you're going to call it a golden gun, make it more powerful. Capped out at the betas level 8, it still felt vastly underpowered compared to Roman Reigns Death Punch and Spas Wizard Magic Misle. Fix that poo poo, Bungie. :colbert:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

super macho dude posted:

Pretty much.

On an unrelated note, after playing the beta, I was unsure how the golden gun worked. Was it timer based or just three shots? And dear god, if you're going to call it a golden gun, make it more powerful. Capped out at the betas level 8, it still felt vastly underpowered compared to Roman Reigns Death Punch and Spas Wizard Magic Misle. Fix that poo poo, Bungie. :colbert:

It has a timer and is limited to three shots. It was the best of the supers in beta and would constantly result in triple kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

a cop posted:

It has a timer and is limited to three shots. It was the best of the supers in beta and would constantly result in triple kills.

False Warlock was the best because you could wipe out an entire team capping a flag in one go

False Titan was the best because punching people is :black101:

/thread

• Locked thread