Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 23: On The Streets I Ran

Mictlan falls. They still have another fortress, but I doubt they'll recover from this.

Friendly fire from our toad artillery! As it turns out, I was completely wrong about how rain of toads works. I thought that, since magic rituals happen before movement in the turn order, the toads would fall on the province before our troops move in and we would get chaos power from the unrest present there, but as it turns out, the toads themselves are considered an event, which happen after battles! So our troops in the battle there had -3 strength, attack, and defence from chaos power. We have to drop our toads on someone well in advance of a fight. Not a big problem, since slaves aren't really hard for us to acquire and we have 4 mages capable of casting it, but still frustrating.

I'm sending our kala-mukha that we had accompanying our army south before hitting that southern fortress, so I have a turn to drop some toads on it first. The best part about rain of toads is that 3 casts of it will render someone completely unable to recruit from a fortress without trooops patrolling outside it, which Niefelheim definitely does not have.

Niefelheim's pretender attacked Yrik Balkor himself.

Almost ungeared. He's better in a straight up fight than our Pretender in neutral dominion without gear, but in a fight inside our own(hot!) dominion and with her gear, she should destroy him easily. I'm sending her to Fowanshire in the hopes of intercepting him there. If he hits Gold Mountains I can just send her to Ironwood Forest, since that's the only way out besides the north, and if he wants to run away that's just fine. Additionally, I'm moving a freshly recruited Raksharaja up with all the sacreds in our capital to take Niefelheim from the north after their god has run away or died.

We've handed the broken mirror to this guy. He's going to use it to try to kill someone sitting on Niefelheim's capital. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do anything to their pretender.

We've found both Ur and Kailasa's capitals. Hopefully they gently caress up Ulm enough that we don't have to deal with a nation controlling the entire north by the time we're finished with Niefelheim, Pangaea, and Mictlan.

No idea what's up with this. Some sort of event? Hopefully Abysia doesn't cause too much trouble with the however many mages they got from it, ilu xuande has probably gotten enough poo poo in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am so bad at this game :( But I can't stop trying

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The toads just hang out up in the clouds all month and drop from the sky whenever they drat well please without any regard to the intentions of the god that summoned them. Fuckin' toads.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What's up with Niefelheim without a Nature bless? I thought the meta was Giants need the Regen bless. But I'm noob and bad so what do I know.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kanthulhu posted:

What's up with Niefelheim without a Nature bless? I thought the meta was Giants need the Regen bless. But I'm noob and bad so what do I know.

He decided to take an Awake Son of Niefel who is basically a Niefel Giant on steroids, as a result his Niffle Giants won't be as good as they would be with an n9 bless, but he has a legit SC running around murdering the crap out of people so he considered that an acceptible tradeoff. (Look at all those experience stars holy poo poo)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Any chance you looked at the hall of fame some time to get who else is out there murderin all the mens?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Fortunately attack spells have limited ranges in this game, making it hard for an enemy's cap-only mages to spam attacks at lots of enemy provinces.

Sometimes you get an enemy cap close enough for a healthy dose of spells, though. In one game I'm in, I think I've send three hurricanes several turns in a row, thanks to him being close enough. Of course, he stomped my army and laid siege to my cap, so what was intended to boil him soft for my early/mid-game invasion is just a minor annoyance now, but hey, at least I could kill a couple thousand people in his cap without him retaliating! :shepface:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kanthulhu posted:

It's less that giants need the nature bless, and more that high hp, high prot units benefit immensely from regen since their high health/low damage sustained means that they not only regen more than they would otherwise, but they also last a hell of a lot longer in a fight since they'll regen the small scrapes that get by them in combat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

It's less that giants need the nature bless, and more that high hp, high prot units benefit immensely from regen since their high health/low damage sustained means that they not only regen more than they would otherwise, but they also last a hell of a lot longer in a fight since they'll regen the small scrapes that get by them in combat.

Also, reduces the likelihood of getting wounds, which can be fatal to an expensive giant or potential SC/thug.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm not going to lie going Niffles without nature bless is almost always a real bad plan

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Grabbing water 9 death 5(for massively powerful cold auras, and fear) on an awake son of sniffles works really well though, you get decent enough scales(in vanilla) and W9 is an amazing all around bless, especially for their summons

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

I Love You! posted:

I'm not going to lie going Niffles without nature bless is almost always a real bad plan

Are Niefels other troops good enough to play without the Niefelnerds?

namad
Nov 7, 2013

The Gentleman posted:

Are Niefels other troops good enough to play without the Niefelnerds?

In dom3 people often claimed the niefelnerds were a noob trap that looked awesome but weren't really.

Although personally I thought they were downright cool. It doesn't really look like niefelheim in this game was/is using them against mictlan.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

In dom3 jotun skinshifters were not limited recruitment.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 24: Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice

I took a few of Mictlan's last turns while Lprsti99 was away on vacation or something. This is our thanks, I guess? His gifts will prop up our silly banana republic for a little longer.

Mind hunt attacks have to go through magic resistance. I'm assuming Nanna is one of Niefelheim's mages, who have pretty solid magic resistance. Unfortunate.

Nothing but province defence. Not noteworthy at all.

Not even here a full month, but we brought enough troops to immediately storm their fortress!

Our undead horde and a small contingent of Palankasha are attacking Niefelheim's throne fortress, while a small portion of our main army is breaking off from Niefelheim to attack Rame. Additionally, our pretender, followed by all the sacred units we had in our capital, are moving north to claim what territory they can. Hopefully she doesn't run face first into their god.

Since we don't particularly need to lob toads at Niefelheim this turn, I'm firing at Pangaea's border fortresses. This turn I'm hitting The Forgotten Woods with most of them and The Gentle Woods with the others, next turn we'll hit The Gentle Woods and Mictlan. I don't want Pangaea recruiting troops, anywhere, at all, but I can't do anything about their capital right now. That'll be ilu xuande's job. Pangaea will probably take it as a hostile act, but I don't think they'll have the resources to fight both of us at the same time, and I won't bother sending soldiers until after Niefelheim has been cleaned up.

Our scout was discovered and murdered by the evil hordes of Ur!

Ur's shamans are some of my favourite mages in the game. Incredibly expensive, but nature, and to a much lesser extent earth, are some of the most useful magic paths around. They don't need a fortress to be recruited either, they can be recruited from any province with a lab(but no forts).

The gudu can be either air 2 or earth 2. They're solid, if overpriced due to their holy path, mages.

Killer mantises aren't great. They're usually only summoned by someone desperate for whatever troops they can find, like Ur I guess?

code:
<modpud> hi. im declaring war on you
<modpud> for the unlawful slaying of badara the markata scout, hero of our people
<modpud> our toads are endless. our armies unstoppable. prepare yourself, heretic
I immediately put Nuclearmonkee on my IRC ignore list after sending him this message. There will be no further negotiation.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Maybe it's just me, but Astral is common enough on Gygjas that I would be very reluctant to mind hunt Niefel. Though I guess you can toss that artifact on any random commander.

Edit: he must think you have crystal mages or the Iron Order or something once he starts getting messages about mental attacks.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Speleothing posted:

Maybe it's just me, but Astral is common enough on Gygjas that I would be very reluctant to mind hunt Niefel. Though I guess you can toss that artifact on any random commander.

Edit: he must think you have crystal mages or the Iron Order or something once he starts getting messages about mental attacks.

a braindead commander can use the artifact on the version they are playing. you dont even need a head!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

garth ferengi posted:

I immediately put Nuclearmonkee on my IRC ignore list after sending him this message. There will be no further negotiation.

What is the purpose of an early war with Ur? Wouldn't it be better to clean up Pangaea and Niffles, then consolidate?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

garth ferengi posted:

Jesus christ that is cold and evil.

Remind me to never be on your bad side once I learn this drat game

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I don't really understand the Ur threats? You're too far away to take his provinces, so all you can really do is maybe cause him some unrest? Which might cause him to lose his war with Ulm?

Is there some master plan where you need Ulm to defeat Ur? or is this just some in character she demon roleplaying? Alternatively Ur is just stupidly overpowered and needs to be hated on?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

namad posted:

I don't really understand the Ur threats? You're too far away to take his provinces, so all you can really do is maybe cause him some unrest? Which might cause him to lose his war with Ulm?

Is there some master plan where you need Ulm to defeat Ur? or is this just some in character she demon roleplaying? Alternatively Ur is just stupidly overpowered and needs to be hated on?

Only thing I can think of is that Ur is too far away to be consequential, so declare war for shits and giggles and by the time they finally bump borders to meet they'll be ready to war anyway.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Messing with the head of whoever is fighting flavah is propably the exactly last thing I would do in this situation.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The main thing about mind hunt is that until you research soul slay (thaum 5, 999 dmg), mind hunt uses mind burn (thaum 2, 12+ dmg), which isn't enough to punch through a gygja's hp. Nor a Enkidu's if he starts using them on Ur.

Speaking of Ur, the AI usually has two states, "peace" and "forever war". They switch to the latter state on any hostile action, or sometimes just when they think they can win a war. I think the player here is trying to emulate the AI, so the death of the scout triggered the forever war state.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I am going to go ahead and reveal the motive behind that negotiation blockade: it is the fact that Nuclearmonkee is a good/smart player and by the time modpud's armies reached his borders there is absolutely no way there could be anything but war between them due to how big she'd have to be/he'd have to be depending on where the borders met.

The only reason outside of trades (probably not happening) to negotiate at that point would be some sort of peace (he'd never agree to anything like that with a blood nation that has 1/5 the map) or coordinating an attack on a 3rd party (he'd have no reason to do what she wanted and would be actively conspiring against her/me by then).

At this point there can be no peace between the south and the north sides of the map. That much is a given.

Mightypeon posted:

Messing with the head of whoever is fighting flavah is propably the exactly last thing I would do in this situation.

There are at least 5 very skilled players still kicking in this game at this point, and I would not say Nuclearmonkee is at a disadvantage vs. flavah without knowing more about their actual forces. Flavah has a long dom3 pedigree and is particularly deadly in the early game but monkee has played significantly more dom4 and has a high win%, and tends to pull out lots of combat spells and tactics that no one has really seen before.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 31, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I didn't actually add nuclearmonkee to my ignore list on irc GOSH geez it was a joke c'mon guys

Nuclearmonkee is by far the best player who I've actually been in games with though, people circlejerk about the demon and flavahbeast a lot(I was on demon's team in a short lived disciples game and wasn't super impressed with how he did, but disciples is loving stupid, and this is my first game with flavahbeast in it) but nuclearmonkee wins ridiculously often and probably has the best mechanical knowledge of anyone, I constantly ask him how to use things or whether a certain thing would work or how I should to deal with whatever thing I'm encountering in a game that I don't have any experience with

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Monkee actually picked a really good synergy for this game: the game uses a goon mod called AwesomeGods that gives a lot of gods interesting new abilities or paths - in particular, a lot of pretenders have extremely powerful battlefield abilities. Monkee's pretender, the Moloch, summons 1 permanent devil every month, and in combat it spawns with a bunch of imps and summons 1 devil every turn in combat, which is a a pretty big bonus, especially in the early game: devils are much stronger than human soldiers and their high strength, flying, heat aura and magical tail make them valuable at any point in the game. The Moloch isn't immortal, though, so normally you'd have to be extremely careful not to get it killed or you won't get it back for a while depending on how many priests you have sitting around, but Ur's gimmick is that they can resummon their pretender very quickly using their cheapest researcher, the Gala: each Gala counts as the equivalent of a H3 priest for the purpose of recalling a killed pretender, so by the end of year 2 Ur can reliably get their god back in one turn without sacrificing much research time.

I would have tried to make peace with Ur as soon as I saw his pretender in action but the geography on this map doesn't really work out, I pretty much have to cut off his expansion unless we agree to some weird gerrymandered spaghetti borders which I dont want to do

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Flavahbeast posted:

Monkee actually picked a really good synergy for this game: the game uses a goon mod called AwesomeGods that gives a lot of gods interesting new abilities or paths - in particular, a lot of pretenders have extremely powerful battlefield abilities. Monkee's pretender, the Moloch, summons 1 permanent devil every month, and in combat it spawns with a bunch of imps and summons 1 devil every turn in combat, which is a a pretty big bonus, especially in the early game: devils are much stronger than human soldiers and their high strength, flying, heat aura and magical tail make them valuable at any point in the game. The Moloch isn't immortal, though, so normally you'd have to be extremely careful not to get it killed or you won't get it back for a while depending on how many priests you have sitting around, but Ur's gimmick is that they can resummon their pretender very quickly using their cheapest researcher, the Gala: each Gala counts as the equivalent of a H3 priest for the purpose of recalling a killed pretender, so by the end of year 2 Ur can reliably get their god back in one turn without sacrificing much research time.

I would have tried to make peace with Ur as soon as I saw his pretender in action but the geography on this map doesn't really work out, I pretty much have to cut off his expansion unless we agree to some weird gerrymandered spaghetti borders which I dont want to do

It's ok though because you're going to beat the poo poo out of him with an army of mighty Conans, right? :colbert:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I play Ulm a lot. EA Ulms got some options in the early game, particularly concerning Stealth Shenangians with fairly high defence troops. I have no idea what Flavah is using as a pretender though. Ulm got a couple of options, but I am not that familiar with the current Awesome gods.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I haven't played Dom 4, only a bit of Dom 3, won a game there with Lanka even! But even in my short time playing that I learned flavahbeast is scary to play against.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

garth ferengi posted:

Nuclearmonkee is by far the best player who I've actually been in games with

So, your strategy is to call out the best player in the game and tell him to prepare for the tactics and units your using?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ur actually has some pretty solid tools for dealing with Conans so the outcome of this fight will be interesting to see.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Murgos posted:

So, your strategy is to call out the best player in the game and tell him to prepare for the tactics and units your using?

Any nation with blood and nature will be hurling toads around with reckless abandon if they can, it's just one of those things. And I don't think it's much of a tactical coup for someone to learn that Lanka can recruit markata scouts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd say that most of the people in the game have a pretty good idea of a lot of the strategies the various nations can pull off, so it's less about surprising each other and more about just using everything effectively. also, you know, the whole 'the actual game is a fair little bit ahead of the let's play' thing.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

scalded schlong posted:

And I don't think it's much of a tactical coup for someone to learn that Lanka can recruit markata scouts.

Also I am pretty sure it just TELLS you what nation the unit was from when you look at the after combat casualty report.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that if you're asking "Are you sure that was wise?" then you completely missed the point of what just happened.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I think that if you're asking "Are you sure that was wise?" then you completely missed the point of what just happened.

Turn 25: The Floor

We successfully mind hunted something! I have no idea what it was.

Our pretender ran into this guy. Sort of scary, but really, not really, at all.

She blocked his first attacks and turned him into a poof of blood while he was entangled by her vine shield.

Niefelheim's army didn't have a commander, so their troops routed turn 1. Our losses were from their fortress' towers, hurling boulders and shooting arrows.

We're storming their southern fort, located on a throne, next turn. Last I saw there were just some mages inside, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm dropping toads on their far northern fort, Sonria, this turn. In 2 turns we should be attacking it, and the turn after that we'll PROBABLY be storming it. I figure our forces taking the fort at Dubros, their throne, can take the eastern coastal fort of Alman afterwards easily enough.

We've gained control of Niefelheim's capital, so we have their magic gem income for ourselves! We can't actually recruit those units, but the water and death gems will come in handy. I've got a particularly powerful use for them down the line, but I'm not sure how long it'll take for it to come to fruition, if it ever does.

It looks like Niefelheim is determined to be a thorn in our sides, despite losing half of their nation without any real fight. I don't think they can put up a whole lot of resistance, but I really would rather not fight their pretender when he's geared out and in his own dominion. There's nothing for it, though! On we go!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Seems like that gambit payed off well. Good job.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Murgos posted:

Dom is weird like that. You'll often end up discussing tactics with someone you'll be fighting in a few turns.

Or sharing dumb mistakes you just made in the IRC.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the secret is that there can only ever be one winner and any sort of deal you make will eventually be broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, that was a pretty solid crumple on Neifel's part.

• Locked thread