Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

A friendly tip! Don't be like me and only depend on the Vita's suspend function instead of in game saves. If you do that, then eventually you'll stumble into a mystery gate in the item world, get killed by lv800 monsters, and lose like 12 hours, a few hundred levels, and 4 shop levels! Hooray! You can't gency out of mystery gate rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

projecthalaxy posted:

A friendly tip! Don't be like me and only depend on the Vita's suspend function instead of in game saves. If you do that, then eventually you'll stumble into a mystery gate in the item world, get killed by lv800 monsters, and lose like 12 hours, a few hundred levels, and 4 shop levels! Hooray! You can't gency out of mystery gate rooms.

I recently found out the Vita's sleep doesn't work as well with the Power Grip (I assume because it thinks its plugged into a wall). I also found out the Vita saves the suspended state even when out of power. That or I was in some narrow range of power between completely dead and not able to turn on. Not that I was missing much.

Yeah always save in Disgaea though. You should have learned this on PS2, or PS3. If you have only played on Vita lesson learned, the series can be kind of harsh, and save scumming is part of playing. Nothing like getting to level x9 of an item and getting a fortune teller with VERY BAD. Time for a reset!

edit: What kind of game is Danganronpa? I've been hearing a decent bit about it with the 2nd one and have never really heard of it (only recently got a vita, a slim adapter).

pixaal fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 31, 2014

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

edit: What kind of game is Danganronpa? I've been hearing a decent bit about it with the 2nd one and have never really heard of it (only recently got a vita, a slim adapter).

I think it's some kind of visual novel murder mystery thing. I haven't played it myself though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dangan Ronpa is a phoenix write type game that's anime as gently caress. The mysteries are alright and some of the characters are fun but it has the most goddamn toxic fanbase this side of the Souls franchise, bordering homestuck levels of miserable

If you ever look into it go on ahead but don't try to look into anything else, you will regret it. I regret my avatar being from it because of how bad it's gotten

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dangan Ronpa is a phoenix write type game that's anime as gently caress. The mysteries are alright and some of the characters are fun but it has the most goddamn toxic fanbase this side of the Souls franchise, bordering homestuck levels of miserable

If you ever look into it go on ahead but don't try to look into anything else, you will regret it. I regret my avatar being from it because of how bad it's gotten

The important thing is whether the game is good, the fanbase of literally everything that ever was and ever will be is uniformly terrible

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poo poo, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just start up NG+ right now. :gonk: What unlocks in NG+?

edit: also, mt. ordeal stage 3 can go to hell

vvv That's it? I do want all the classes, though...

Also, once you're in the post game, what's the best way of getting nicer equipment? I never managed to figure out how to go higher up in the equipment rank tree...i know there's higher level stuff around, but I don't know how to get it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 31, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

poo poo, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just start up NG+ right now. :gonk: What unlocks in NG+?

edit: also, mt. ordeal stage 3 can go to hell

You get the android class for starting NG+

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Do you fight a guy with guaranteed legendary Traps in the DLC campaigns like you did in Disgaea 3 Vita? That thing made it so much easier to get into the postgame since I just leveled it to 100, cloned it over and over and could actually do endgame stuff at pretty low levels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If there is I never saw it.

Zetta's Makai Wars is pretty alright for getting into the postgame itself too though. Obviously not ~the best~ but still super handy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If there is I never saw it.

Zetta's Makai Wars is pretty alright for getting into the postgame itself too though. Obviously not ~the best~ but still super handy.

Aww :(

Did you do the DLC after or before beating the game? In D3 the traps only appeared if you did it in the endgame.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

pixaal posted:

Yeah always save in Disgaea though. You should have learned this on PS2, or PS3. If you have only played on Vita lesson learned, the series can be kind of harsh, and save scumming is part of playing. Nothing like getting to level x9 of an item and getting a fortune teller with VERY BAD. Time for a reset!

When NIS made DD2 they finally noticed that the 1980's are over and that they're not making an arcade game, so they threw away the idea of losing your progress when you lose, removing the need to compulsively save before attempting every map.

Naturally, they left freezing and crashing bugs in the game; I don't know whether they're fixed now, but I played on release and lost a good bit of progress to my first freeze.

So yeah; always save even though it's a massive chore.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

projecthalaxy posted:

Don't you simply get sent to the base after dying D4V now, without losing anything?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly by this point the Dangan Ronpa's fanbase has calmed down a lot. It's mostly occasionally cute fanart and terrible fanfiction at this point.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

When NIS made DD2 they finally noticed that the 1980's are over and that they're not making an arcade game, so they threw away the idea of losing your progress when you lose, removing the need to compulsively save before attempting every map.

Naturally, they left freezing and crashing bugs in the game; I don't know whether they're fixed now, but I played on release and lost a good bit of progress to my first freeze.

So yeah; always save even though it's a massive chore.

The reloading workaround was enough to prevent me from having problems pre-patch. I haven't had any freezes after the patch. I still save after doing 20-30 levels in an item, just in case the power goes out or something.

I haven't played much lately but I fire DD2 up roughly once a week and just mindlessly level items for a couple hours per sesh. The main trio have levels around ~2500 and have all had 5 reincarnations just to get their aptitudes bumped up. Laharl and Flonne are my main offense characters, though I have a Magic Knight who could outdamage Flonne with a little work. I also have a good Armor Knight with some heavily leveled armor and the gimmick weapon that reduces physical damage by 40%. I gave her the evility that lets her defend anyone else on the map so she's awesome for tanking. I've done all the postgame maps up to Pringer X but it's gonna take some work to deal with him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mithaldu posted:

Don't you simply get sent to the base after dying D4V now, without losing anything?

Ordinarily yeah but I wiped on a mystery floor featuring two Prism Rangers fighting three giant monsters, elected to help, died, and got a game over then booted to the title.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Figured I'd type up a small tip guide for those who just got D4V, even if it might be useless. Just as a general thing, and sorry if I'm a tad confusing. Feel free to ask if that's the case!

Before Post Game:
*Don't worry about item world too much. The game gives you a run down on it during chapter 3 and has you do 10 floors before you can progress but it's not needed. If you feel like doing it anyway you may wind up overleveled, though biggest thing I can say is man, don't level up equips like vinyl shirts. It's really really not worth it.

*Make a witch! They are insanely helpful even if the witches don't actually have many levels behind them because early on they'll gain a ability called mana potion which restores a percentage of MP to a unit at the start of every turn for 3 turns. This means you should never run out of MP as long as she's alive and safe.

*Make a thief! The post game will need one and it's never too late to start up on one, they have a natural improved chance to steal and the higher the level they are then the target the easier it is to swipe things- even if the unit they're stealing from can grossly overpower them.

*Desco is a amazingly strong unit you get at the end of chapter 3. Her natural abilities and her unique attacks all have great ranges and she can magichange into a amazing sword for you. She's super great.

*Most importantly Disgaea only lets you put 10 units at a time onto the map. You will probably never, ever require the full 10. Pick who or what you like and roll with it, just know the post game characters as well as the main characters will overshadow custom units easily (minus the monster class Nekomata)

Post Game:
*Start NG+ right away if you want a class to unlock for you. This doesn't exists in Disgaea D2 thankfully but it's better to get this over with sooner rather than later. Talk to the time travel unit in the base map (with a clock emblem) to go back to chapter 1 and you're good. (If you wait you'll lose everything you unlock and have to redo stages all over again)

*Asagi is the end of the postlude part 1, you'll be treated to a small ending and the game pretends it's done but there's 3 more maps in the main campaign (and 1 nets you a badass character). Make sure you have a thief as these maps all feature bosses with one of a kind rare weapons.

*Start item world diving, and make sure after floor 25 to spend at least one turn on a board. Pirate invasions are a common event in Item World but there are several, several variations of pirates- most important being a group of cats called Meowkin, you'll have to find and kill all of them to gain access to the Land of Carnage (you have to build a certain pirate ship using a part you get from them)

*Certain X-Dimension maps have monsters on them you can kidnap for more ship parts to match the Meowkin reward mentioned previously. Just look up a guide on what you're looking for

*The Mountain of Ordeals is how you're going to spend most of the post game. The 4th floor features a grid of level 400 enemies all standing on exp panels, crank up the exp rate and set up a fist fighter with Big Bang in front of them all. Have a Nekomata turn into a giant, then magichange the giant monster to a huge fist and you can kill them all in one blow if you're strong enough. Look into staticians to make this go faster (by the end of it you'll be going from level 1 to 9999 in about 10 pushes of the confirmation button)

*Get the Puppy Paw stick!!! Capture a level 1000 nekomata and torture it to tell you where treasure is, save before the torture and if the stick isn't in the chest reload and do it again (if you save after the torture you'll have to catch another nekomata). When you get a biosuit unit have it run wild with a piece of equipment you want to duplicate then kill it with the Puppy Paw Stick and you'll get a exact copy of said item, pay to revive the Biosuit and keep repeating as many times as you want. If you don't get the duplicate item just select quit from the menu and retry.

*Land of Carnage is a Disgaea staple where every map in the game is open to you and is about 10x harder due to jacking the stats of enemy units up quite a bit as well as the natural level of monsters. The tradeoff to the greatly increased difficulty is that deeper in the item world you can find rarer items to steal off monsters. This is how you'll get final equipment.

Bonus Party Members:
Disgaea 4 Vita includes all the DLC characters from the PS3 version, as well as a handful you get from the story, as well as some new side characters from the side story. Sadly due to the nature of the game only a handful are really standouts- these are personal recommendations and why I suggest them.

Adell: He's the best fist fighter in the entire series as far as I know. He's also the protag to Disgaea 2! He has a SS ability called vulcan blaze that deals fire damage to a single target and thanks to his evilties almost nothing survives it (He does increased damage when targeting a single unit, AND he increases fire damage he deals 25% while lowering enemy resistances to fire by 25%) He's custom built to destroy single enemy units.

Prier: She's a monster class that magichanges into a axe, though she's at her best when she's allowed to run around. She hits like a freight train and if she kills a monster with her normal attack (even a counter) she gets to move again and attack again. She's got great range and is stupid handy in the item world

Zetta: He's absolutely broken. Not only does he resist every element he has some of the strongest attacks in the game and has a eviilty that increases his physical strength on odd number turns and his magic attacks on even numbered turns. He's treated as a end game boss and for good reason.

Tyrant Valvatorez: The story is all about him so when you unlock him by completing the flashback episode you get to see why. Not only is he capable of absolutely crushing everything while healing himself- anything he kills doesn't despawn, instead it joins your team for the rest of the map as a controllable unit. Then his other ability increases his stats by a flat rate as long as he has people around him on the cam-pain map and is just a monster in general. Like Zetta his Aptitude in all stats is high and he's just great all around.

List is kind of a mess due to me typing as things come to mind but hey, if someone finds it useful I'm content.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 31, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That helps a lot, actually! I have a couple questions about the post-game (spoilered):

Let's say that all my characters are equipped with only the highest ranked equipment from the Rosen Queen vendors. Eventually, I decide that I want even better equipment. How would I find better equipment than the shops'? I can find treasure chests in the Item World, but as far as I can tell those are only ever the same rank as the item you've dived into. You could also possibly get them from post-game maps like Mt. Ordeal 1-2, the Axel/Flonne recruitment events, or Fuuka and Desco's extra scenarios, but I haven't come across any items that are massively better than the store equipment (in the case of weaponry, mainly). Also, is it possible that the Rosen Queen symbol is necessary for higher level specialty equipment?

Does the game itself give you any clues to finding all the different endings? I don't wanna look up how to do them since the ending names themselves tend to spoil them, but if the game gives me clues, that'd help a lot.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

That helps a lot, actually! I have a couple questions about the post-game (spoilered):

Let's say that all my characters are equipped with only the highest ranked equipment from the Rosen Queen vendors. Eventually, I decide that I want even better equipment. How would I find better equipment than the shops'? I can find treasure chests in the Item World, but as far as I can tell those are only ever the same rank as the item you've dived into. You could also possibly get them from post-game maps like Mt. Ordeal 1-2, the Axel/Flonne recruitment events, or Fuuka and Desco's extra scenarios, but I haven't come across any items that are massively better than the store equipment (in the case of weaponry, mainly). Also, is it possible that the Rosen Queen symbol is necessary for higher level specialty equipment?

Does the game itself give you any clues to finding all the different endings? I don't wanna look up how to do them since the ending names themselves tend to spoil them, but if the game gives me clues, that'd help a lot.

I haven't played D4Vita specifically, but from previous games, I think it's the case that if you get a rank N item, you can go into that item's Item World. Go down to the very bottom, and the Item King/God/whatever will be holding an item of rank N+1. Steal that from them, and you've gotten a better item.

Maybe D4 does it differently?

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
The regular game items max out at rank 34. To get rank 35-39 equips, you need to be in the Land of Carnage. And you may already know this, but for the best rank 40 items, you need to have a legendary rank 39 of the same type (sword, fist, etc...) and get to the 100th floor of its item world. The item god there will be holding the rank 40 equip and you'll have to steal it from him.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So if I'm not at the Land of Carnage yet, should I just be Item World diving into my equipment a lot, then?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

So if I'm not at the Land of Carnage yet, should I just be Item World diving into my equipment a lot, then?

My experience has been that if you dive into a legendary item, the enemies are holding substantially better items well before floor 100. Besides the obvious edge cases at ranks 34 and 39, I consider it highly unlikely that no enemy before the Item God will hold a higher rank item than what you're currently in.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How would I steal a piece of equipment from an enemy if I'm deep enough in the item world to have found enemies around my level, though? I thought it was practically impossible if the enemy is higher level than your thief?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

How would I steal a piece of equipment from an enemy if I'm deep enough in the item world to have found enemies around my level, though? I thought it was practically impossible if the enemy is higher level than your thief?

At minimum it's a 1% chance. If you get a floor with an Invincible panel (or sometimes even Reverse Damage) you have plenty of 1% chances :v:

Personally what I did was dive into the item world, and buy an X Dimension ticket. The cheapest one is 10k I think, nothing bank breaking... but it has the highest rank of item world as an item to dive into. So you can dive straight in there and steal Rank 34 stuff. Thieves in D4 vita get a skill that opens any treasure chest instantly, even if it's level 9999 so you can go around popping all the rank 34 treasure chests too. I now have more or less the best equipment I can get before Land of Carnage.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Some of the postgame characters have rank 35 stuff and you can reset until you get a legendary. In particular I think Prism Red had the r35 sword. They're level 100 fights, so pretty easy.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

CaptainWinky posted:

I haven't played much lately but I fire DD2 up roughly once a week and just mindlessly level items for a couple hours per sesh. The main trio have levels around ~2500 and have all had 5 reincarnations just to get their aptitudes bumped up. Laharl and Flonne are my main offense characters, though I have a Magic Knight who could outdamage Flonne with a little work. I also have a good Armor Knight with some heavily leveled armor and the gimmick weapon that reduces physical damage by 40%. I gave her the evility that lets her defend anyone else on the map so she's awesome for tanking. I've done all the postgame maps up to Pringer X but it's gonna take some work to deal with him.

A quick bit of advice to speed things up (you always want to speed things up) is to re-incarnate your magic knight into a succubus, give her the evility that lets her move again after killing a unit, and let her rush through item world floors by flying over everything, killing the gatekeeper if there's one, and then moving again into the gate.

Ideally you'll want your entire team to have high-level spells since the main levelling map has enemies that are very weak to one element (fire I think?) and the first mega-weapon you'll want to make is a staff, to allow all your units to grind re-incarnations quickly.

Other useful things to have are a gunner with the evility that gives 100% hit rate to subsequent attackers in a combo (so re-incarnated level 1 characters don't risk missing), Gig (his evility is amazingly good -- adds 30% of his own attack stat to whatever stat an adjacent character uses for an attack/spell), the version of Priere that gives purification as well as Marona for a silly trick that lets you grind the kill bonus on items very fast, and a massive number of all the grinding innocents -- statisticians, armsmasters and the like.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Disgaea 5 has been announced, and it seems like it will be released in 2015.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
How long does it normally take for these to get translated? Hopefully we get it in 2015 as well. Either way thats plenty of time for me to finish D2

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

Regarding items: Aside from what was pretty much said you should begin upgrading weapons only. You'll know you've hit the peak of what you can get when you see money fists show up as they're the final fist item you can find naturally outside of the LoC. The things you want to upgrade though are testament level gear, Zetta (second boss after Asagi) will be holding onto a item called Makai Wars that's always legendary, and ontop of his sword being ONE of the best swords in the game you're going to want to grab it and duplicate it. It can easily boost all stats plus 200000 or somesuch when it's fully powered.

As for the endings aside from the generic bad ones from losing the final map of each chapter there's one where you must have Valvatorez at at least level 500. When he's that strong have him solo all of 10-6 and when you start up the final boss you'll be faced with 4 level 1000 enemies. Winning nets you a bad end (reset to chapter 1) but it does have a trophy tied to it, so it's best to save before finishing 10-6 so you can get the trophy/see the other ending and not have to redo everything AGAIN.

There are also character epilogues based around the Legendary Tree Evilty, I don't recall all of them but you have to do things like set Val as the leader, and Fenrich as his comrade. Have them perform 10 team attacks (standing side by side and normal attacking) and a event will play back at base, when you finish the game you'll get Fenrich's ending/trophy instead of the default Artina one

Edit: If you want a example of what Makai Wars can do for you,

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 1, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Brasseye posted:

How long does it normally take for these to get translated?

Almost always six months.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Regarding items: Aside from what was pretty much said you should begin upgrading weapons only. You'll know you've hit the peak of what you can get when you see money fists show up as they're the final fist item you can find naturally outside of the LoC. The things you want to upgrade though are testament level gear, Zetta (second boss after Asagi) will be holding onto a item called Makai Wars that's always legendary, and ontop of his sword being ONE of the best swords in the game you're going to want to grab it and duplicate it. It can easily boost all stats plus 200000 or somesuch when it's fully powered.

Edit: If you want a example of what Makai Wars can do for you,

Actually I wouldn't really waste time with Makai Wars. The best armor in the game that you want is the Invincible Armor. The invincible armor comes with high stats in all categories and 2 Mov and 30 Jump. Also since it is legendary you can actually increase its move to 8 using the six bills that you get when you go down the Item Boost route. Also don't bother with the stat boosting bills. There is a trick where you can kill item gods infinitely to max out all stats on a item, however you will need a lot of gencies to pull it off, if I remember correctly you will need 215 gencies, but since you can dupe easily it is well worth it.

Here is a small sample,

This is without having used the infinite item god kills trick to max out all stats.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Needing 215 Gency's is a *very* strong disincentive to maxing out an item using the infinite Item God route. Unless there is a faster way to get them than one every 10 item world floors.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I believe that once you beat baal the first time you get the ability to buy gencies from the shop, although the cost a lot of money.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

megamariox posted:

Actually I wouldn't really waste time with Makai Wars. The best armor in the game that you want is the Invincible Armor. The invincible armor comes with high stats in all categories and 2 Mov and 30 Jump. Also since it is legendary you can actually increase its move to 8 using the six bills that you get when you go down the Item Boost route. Also don't bother with the stat boosting bills. There is a trick where you can kill item gods infinitely to max out all stats on a item, however you will need a lot of gencies to pull it off, if I remember correctly you will need 215 gencies, but since you can dupe easily it is well worth it.

Here is a small sample,

This is without having used the infinite item god kills trick to max out all stats.

Oh I'm well aware v:v:v

I'm just saying that this is usually something you can manage before starting LoC and all that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea if I'm gonna max EVERYTHING out, at least, I don't know how much farther I'm gonna go after doing all the optional content. Item sperging will depend on if I need it to beat Baal.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Pollyanna posted:

I have no idea if I'm gonna max EVERYTHING out, at least, I don't know how much farther I'm gonna go after doing all the optional content. Item sperging will depend on if I need it to beat Baal.

If you just mean beating Baal once, I don't think you need super crazy stats. If you mean beating the super-endgame version of him, that's sort of the capstone of the entire game and thus you'd probably need to pull out all the stops. I've never really dived into LoC myself in any of the games though, so I can't say from experience.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Does the new Vita D4 have a "Etna/Axell/Raspberyl" mode? Looking at the feature list it doesn't seem clear.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zilkin posted:

Does the new Vita D4 have a "Etna/Axell/Raspberyl" mode? Looking at the feature list it doesn't seem clear.

Yup
Fuka and Desco show from the Ps3 version, Flashback Episode, and a new Time Leap story.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Zilkin posted:

Shouldn't you be getting an option for "The Fuuka and Desco Show"?
EDIT: And those other two, but Fuuka and Desco was the original D4 one I think.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HGH posted:

Shouldn't you be getting an option for "The Fuuka and Desco Show"?
EDIT: And those other two, but Fuuka and Desco was the original D4 one I think.

Pretty sure it was DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Updated the OP a bit, as I finally should of so I hope that clears it up a tiny bit

• Locked thread