Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

evilweasel posted:

Ok, sent the first round of invites to anyone who gave me enough info to send one.

Send an invite to me please (Bunk, team was Driftwood Crips, email is frankherbertsbeard@yahoo.com)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I've sent invites to anyone who has given me an email, but it seems that some of them aren't being received. So if you've sent me one, and gotten no response, I didn't decide I don't like you ESPN is being a jerk :argh:

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 30, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

I've sent invites to anyone who has given me an email, but it seems that some of them aren't being received. So if you've sent me one, and gotten no response, I didn't decide I don't like you ESPN is being a jerk :argh:

Can't it be both?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
So glad this stupid week is over, this morning was just like a deranged pro per convention on top of other assorted weirdness.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My biggest struggle of the week was getting my goddamn email to work with espn so i can play ff. EW finally got it for me though.

Now I'll have something to do at my job all day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alright we've got 9/12 slots filled: I'm thinking of dropping this to 10 man unless there's suddenly some more people.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Clerking for a federal magistrate judge in the middle of nowhere: Yay or Nay.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

I have no idea how it will affect your career, but sometimes the middle of no where can be really, really bad.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

evilweasel posted:

Alright we've got 9/12 slots filled: I'm thinking of dropping this to 10 man unless there's suddenly some more people.

I can't get the invites to work. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

When will the draft be?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I have no idea how it will affect your career, but sometimes the middle of no where can be really, really bad.

The place in question is actually relatively cool, and I would happily live there for a couple years. I'm more concerned about being pigeonholed into staying there.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

The place in question is actually relatively cool, and I would happily live there for a couple years. I'm more concerned about being pigeonholed into staying there.

Federal magistrate judge in a livable place? I'm not sure there is much better than that straight out of law school.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Alaemon posted:

So glad this stupid week is over, this morning was just like a deranged pro per convention on top of other assorted weirdness.

I've been on vacation the last two weeks. I haven't even listened to a voice mail or read further than the subject line of an email since last Tuesday. drat it feels good to be a gangster.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
When I was on vacation at the end of July, I actually called my voice mail just so I could listen to the messages and say "that's not my problem."

There's one particularly obnoxious attorney who never seems to grasp that I am not his one stop shop for ex parte contact. So I got a particular pleasure in hearing his "I left you a message yesterday and you never returned my call" things.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

If you can tolerate the judge, why not? It's not like you'll have all sorts of free time and loads of cash to enjoy the delights of some big city.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

evilweasel posted:

im interested - should i just pm you my yahoo id

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I want in on FF, PMed you my email

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Federal magistrate judge in a livable place? I'm not sure there is much better than that straight out of law school.

I just had a friend jump from a federal clerkship to a boutique firm in Seattle. Do it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

Is it in Yosemite? If so, do it.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

I just had a friend jump

The start of so many law school anecdotes...

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

So I send out a request for a judge's copy, because this attorney filed their motion without it. Please send the copy directly to my office etc.

Attorney manages to send it to my HOUSE.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alaemon posted:

So I send out a request for a judge's copy, because this attorney filed their motion without it. Please send the copy directly to my office etc.

Hahahaha, that is AMAZING. How did he even know where you lived?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Alaemon posted:

What's special about a judges copy in your jurisdiction?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What's special about a judges copy in your jurisdiction?

Required by court rule for all motions. And yet I have to spend time each week trying to chase people down to get them.

quote:

Hahahaha, that is AMAZING. How did he even know where you lived?

If I'm guessing, out-of-date bar journal from several years ago, which would've shown my home address since I was unemployed.

(Because of course you'd go with that instead of the court address on the letterhead where my name is listed.)

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 31, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Alaemon posted:

Required by court rule for all motions. And yet I have to spend time each week trying to chase people down to get them.

If I'm guessing, out-of-date bar journal from several years ago, which would've shown my home address since I was unemployed.

(Because of course you'd go with that instead of the court address on the letterhead where my name is listed.)

I was just wondering if it was like tabbed in a three ring binder to the exhibits or cases like with a summary judgment. Here, our county clerk just scans the motion in and the judge reads it on his computer, but i like to make it real easy to look at my evidence.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I was just wondering if it was like tabbed in a three ring binder to the exhibits or cases like with a summary judgment. Here, our county clerk just scans the motion in and the judge reads it on his computer, but i like to make it real easy to look at my evidence.

The court rule basically just says "copy of motion clearly marked 'judge's copy' on the front page must be delivered to the office of the judge hearing the motion." Usually attorneys interpret this to mean "send two copies of the motion and hope the clerks are paying enough attention to send one upstairs." (Usually, there are, but I've had exceptions.)

My judge is paper-only, so we actually need them.

My personal policy is to request binder/tabs on anything over 50 pages or so (including exhibits). It's very rare that attorneys bother to do that on their own initiative. I just got one Friday that not only came in its own binder, but the attorney included copies of every case cited -- overkill on the local cases, perhaps, but I appreciate it for the out-of-state stuff, since I'd have to print that off of Westlaw for my judge.

It made my day to see that arrive.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alaemon posted:

My personal policy is to request binder/tabs on anything over 50 pages or so (including exhibits). It's very rare that attorneys bother to do that on their own initiative. I just got one Friday that not only came in its own binder, but the attorney included copies of every case cited -- overkill on the local cases, perhaps, but I appreciate it for the out-of-state stuff, since I'd have to print that off of Westlaw for my judge.

It made my day to see that arrive.
This is actually what the court rules (or MUSC, one of the two) requires, isn't it? I attach all unpublished/foreign cases as a rule.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Attach cases? Having foreign cases to attach?

Jurisdiction is conferred upon this court by uhh... you know, the code. What's that? Yeah, section number <coughs>.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

woozle wuzzle posted:

Attach cases? Having foreign cases to attach?

It is trite law that Jurisdiction is conferred upon this court, your honour.

Fixed.

Seriously this was my a senior lawyer's advice once when I asked if I needed to print a case for some point of law that seemed hard to find but probably right. Hasn't let me down yet!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

We use "It is well-settled that that [X idiot thing I'm too lazy to research]" down here in God's country, but yes that's a pro move

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Literally every time I see that, my note to the judge reads "then why aren't they citing to it?"

Edit: I've also seen "it is axiomatic that..."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alaemon posted:

Literally every time I see that, my note to the judge reads "then why aren't they citing to it?"

To be fair, it's really hard to cite stuff when dealing with sovereign citizens, because they do stuff that simply isn't contemplated by statute or has any case law about it, because it's just completely ridiculous on its face, but you still have to respond to it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

To be fair, it's really hard to cite stuff when dealing with sovereign citizens, because they do stuff that simply isn't contemplated by statute or has any case law about it, because it's just completely ridiculous on its face, but you still have to respond to it.

Unless it's tax protester arguments, in which case the Tax Court, Federal District Court and Court of Federal Claims all have a (more-or-less) pre-made opinion saying "Nope - see this shitload of cases and enjoy your statutory penalties related to frivolous arguments, fucko."

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Alaemon posted:

I do that (as a quote) pretty often because judges seem to looooove writing it. I just appreciate them making it easier for me to be lazy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Alaemon posted:

The answer is "because I don't have time." Sometimes it's hard to find cases for genuinely elementary concepts that opposing counsel doesn't understand but the court certainly will. Here in the REAL WORLD, outside of your IVORY TOWER, we have clients to answer to and they expect me to draft a 20 page MSD brief in no more than 2 hours

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sometimes it's hard to find cases for genuinely elementary concepts that opposing counsel doesn't understand but the court certainly will. Here in the REAL WORLD, outside of your IVORY TOWER, we have clients to answer to and they expect me to draft a 20 page MSD brief in no more than 2 hours
Even being a temporary occupant of the ivory tower, where time is of no importance, this is true. I'm sometimes surprised at the lengths I have to go to find an case citation of a very basic legal concept.

That said, using "axiomatic" is just one (small) rung below using latin phrases that have an English equivalent. That is, it's douuuuuuuuuuchey as gently caress.

It could be worse, though. I hate, hate, HATE when attorneys use latin phrases during oral arguments. Even more so when they then follow up with, "that means _____." Just loving use the English phrase, Jesus Mary and Joseph.

I'm fairly certain the size of my eye roll is seizure-inducing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Green Crayons posted:

Even being a temporary occupant of the ivory tower, where time is of no importance, this is true. I'm sometimes surprised at the lengths I have to go to find an case citation of a very basic legal concept.

That said, using "axiomatic" is just one (small) rung below using latin phrases that have an English equivalent. That is, it's douuuuuuuuuuchey as gently caress.

It could be worse, though. I hate, hate, HATE when attorneys use latin phrases during oral arguments. Even more so when they then follow up with, "that means _____." Just loving use the English phrase, Jesus Mary and Joseph.

I'm fairly certain the size of my eye roll is seizure-inducing.

I find the more axiomatic and obvious a point of law is, the harder it is to find a cite on it. It's infuriating when you cannot find a cite for something because nobody has ever argued that up was down, and gotten a court opinion on it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

I find the more axiomatic and obvious a point of law is, the harder it is to find a cite on it. It's infuriating when you cannot find a cite for something because nobody has ever argued that up was down, and gotten a court opinion on it.

I just cite the opinion from 1854.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

The answer is "because I don't have time." Sometimes it's hard to find cases for genuinely elementary concepts that opposing counsel doesn't understand but the court certainly will. Here in the REAL WORLD, outside of your IVORY TOWER, we have clients to answer to and they expect me to draft a 20 page MSD brief in no more than 2 hours

I assure you, time is equally of the essence in my ivory tower (which is crumbling and dusty because the Board of Commissioners fired the guy whose job it was to clean the courthouse and now we're lucky if we get trustees from the jail to vacuum once a week).

Because that MSD that you filed at 4:59 on the Friday before the hearing (regardless of what the court rules say on timelines)? I can't even START until that comes in and then I'm expected to get a bench brief written in enough time for my judge to read that AND your reply. Oh, and I have a full morning of pro pers and we're starting a jury trial Tuesday so I've got to get instructions done, and then felony status conferences and hey, Alaemon, it's the clerk's office, we got this cover letter that says "enclosed for filing please find our motion, please send us back a stamped copy for our records" what do you think we're supposed to do with this...?

Edit: What I'm saying is that clerking for a trial judge still amounts to the practice of law and, therefore, suffer any wrong that can be done to you rather than come here.

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I recently had someone argue that their client wasn't personally liable for their action because they weren't an agent or employee of a company I'm suing.

They argued that hard.