Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

turtlecrunch posted:

Some of the earlier rumors suggested, re: co-op, that it might be a completely seamless experience - no signs, just people being in body form in your world as they are progressing through the same area. You would run across them like you would Hunter Gascoigne. This may be how "invasions" work too...an invasion in Bloodborne is just a choice to violently murder the guys you run into rather than helping them. But don't worry, rumors are rumors.

Kind of disappointed no other company has decided to make Souls clones (for the PS4 even, so I could justify buying it earlier). Lords of the Fallen does not seem to count, the artstyle and overbearing narration are all wrong, but we'll see what the reviews say. However, if From is keeping their teams split then perhaps work on "Dark Souls 3" has already started and B-Team will make it more like the DLCs.

Have you looked into Deep Down? It definitely seems "inspired" by the Souls series, although it's a Capcom F2P game that hasn't been showed much outside of Japan so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like the idea of less weapons, I don't need ten of the same thing that are only marginally different. Especially when there's always an eleventh that is better. It's harder to properly balance things the more weapons you add into the mix, the less there are the more likely it is that none of them will be useless.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

EC posted:

Have you looked into Deep Down? It definitely seems "inspired" by the Souls series, although it's a Capcom F2P game that hasn't been showed much outside of Japan so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I remember seeing this teaser 2 years ago and being pretty excited, but I admit I've not kept up with it since then. I will take another look.

Re: weapons - as many weapons as possible in as many combinations as possible. :colbert: e: I would also like some disposable bear traps please.

As a final note, at around 2(?) AM EST Monday, the Sony Japan pre-TGS conference takes place. There may or may not be Bloodborne info on it, but just making people aware you can watch it here if you are up really late (or in a country with a more favorable timezone):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-Wr_3-E5U

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 29, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

turtlecrunch posted:

I remember seeing this teaser 2 years ago and being pretty excited, but I admit I've not kept up with it since then. I will take another look.

Try out this vid, which is all in Japanese but gives a pretty good look at the game anyway. There's even a mimic!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Looks pretty good! I love the enemy designs. Not sure what to make of the virtual tour of someone's apartment at the end though. :v:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

turtlecrunch posted:

Looks pretty good! I love the enemy designs. Not sure what to make of the virtual tour of someone's apartment at the end though. :v:
The freemium model is getting a little pricey for me. For 75 tokens you can buy a pretty badass armor set. For 75000000 tokens you can buy an apartment in Vancouver that also grants you a 4% increase to experience gain.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'd rather From just left Dark Souls and went with Dragon Souls, Dead Souls, Deep Souls, Doomed Souls. To start over and go with something new. B team's done and assisting BB or working on whatever's next, I'd like them to just move on.

And do the only right thing.

King's Field.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Kind of disappointed no other company has decided to make Souls clones (for the PS4 even, so I could justify buying it earlier). Lords of the Fallen does not seem to count, the artstyle and overbearing narration are all wrong, but we'll see what the reviews say. However, if From is keeping their teams split then perhaps work on "Dark Souls 3" has already started and B-Team will make it more like the DLCs.

Wait I sense a implication here that the DLCs are good or better than the base game. Is this true!??

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

net cafe scandal posted:

Wait I sense a implication here that the DLCs are good or better than the base game. Is this true!??

Many people will agree that this is the case.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Except for the Iron Passage the DLC have been the highlight of the game. They also have some of the best bosses and Crown of the Iron King is one of the best areas aesthetically. They put a lot of effort into the NPC phantom interactions. The invaders taunt you when they kill you and one of the helpers drops a hello carving when you summon him.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have to beat Dark Souls 2 before I buy the DLC. And beat Dark Souls 1... and Demon's Souls.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

turtlecrunch posted:

Kind of disappointed no other company has decided to make Souls clones

This is something I don't get at all. Hell it seemed like every kickstarter tried to say their game was inspired by Dark Souls but not a single one was even close to a clone or similar.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah, the first DLC pack has an area that is pretty much my favourite in the whole game. The only thing it really needs is some quality NPC dialogue, but the main game doesn't really have that either.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

The only thing it really needs is some quality NPC dialogue, but the main game doesn't really have that either.

Uh, clearly you blacked out while meeting Gavlan.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vargs posted:

Uh, clearly you blacked out while meeting Gavlan.

You know I like Gavlan, but it speaks volumes that the best NPC in the game is a gimmick character with like three lines.

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except for the Iron Passage the DLC have been the highlight of the game. They also have some of the best bosses and Crown of the Iron King is one of the best areas aesthetically. They put a lot of effort into the NPC phantom interactions. The invaders taunt you when they kill you and one of the helpers drops a hello carving when you summon him.

Steelheart Lorrie also shrugs when she's about to die.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Did I miss any DLC shopkeepers or literally anyone to talk to?

Elizabeth and Gough were fantastic in the original's DLC.

The newest DLC has level design that is real solid. There are numerous shortcut unlocks that make bonfires valuable in a way that the main game utterly fails at outside of a couple places.

The first DLC had way too many bonfires but was still full of enough secret passages and twists that it avoided being like a very long tunnel full of bad guys like a lot of areas in the main game felt like.

I prefer the switch mechanics of the first dlc to the ashen idol mechanic of the new one, but both felt fresh compared to the rest of the game.

Bosses in both add-ons feel like iterations on the familiar giant human and dragon style fights but there are a couple cool curveballs in there.

tldr; dlc team is better in my opinion but its not a fair comparison because the main game team probably would have seemed great if you just took the two best levels and looked at them in a vacuum too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Gee, who wouldn't want to hang these in their living room? (from the PAX Bloodborne booth/Twitter)

SLOSifl posted:

The freemium model is getting a little pricey for me. For 75 tokens you can buy a pretty badass armor set. For 75000000 tokens you can buy an apartment in Vancouver that also grants you a 4% increase to experience gain.

:D

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The game is coming out in Japan on February 5.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Judging from Dark Souls 2 dates and if everything goes according to plan we're looking at a February 3rd/6th for US/EU.

That's pretty freaking soon.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That is my birthday which makes me very happy. Best present ever!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
This "new" trailer (Sony Japan only) has mostly the same footage but also a grating new soundtrack. Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqCOYxAuIcM

e: Also this was the only BB-related reveal at the pre-TGS conference.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 1, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That soundtrack is better than 85% of the music in Dark Souls 2. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And I'll still never hear it in the middle of combat.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Holy poo poo, early February!? When I first heard them talking about "March" I expected that to get pushed back, not forward! That's really awesome.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

February in Japan, they never said anything about the international release. It's safe to assume it'll be simultaneous, but until they confirm it you shouldn't get your hopes up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm sorry if this is old but here's a horrifying spoilery thing read from a guy who got time with the demo at pax. This game really is going to be a trial of impending doom.

- A friend of mine was told about an easter egg during the demo and in the shadows she saw a creepy beast with piercing glowing eyes that apparently stalks you through the game. This creature is a future boss, but she could not confirm if it was the spider we’ve seen on the tower or something else.

e: http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/the-bloodborne-experience-wonderful-glitchy-fun/ if anyone wants it

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Whoo, just finished up my first Dark Souls run! All this time I thought I was procrastinating, but it turns out I was timing it perfectly so I'll have a fresh appetite for the next big thing when it's released!

I even went with a heavy armor run, so the emphasis on dodging and finesse will make for a good contrast.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Any special editions been announced?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Any special editions been announced?

There's one with an artbook and CD soundtrack for Japan. My guess would be that they'll release it in Europe and the US too since they always had editions like that for the other games, but we'll have to wait and see.

P.S. : Bloodborne has the worst Japanese cover of all the Souls series. :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

P.S. : Bloodborne has the worst Japanese cover of all the Souls series. :smith:

It sucks that Souls related covers are devolving into COD territory at this point. Go re-hire the guy who made the original Demon's Souls cover.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

NESguerilla posted:

It sucks that Souls related covers are devolving into COD territory at this point. Go re-hire the guy who made the original Demon's Souls cover.

The steelbook for DS2 was nice. :shobon:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beard Yawn posted:

The steelbook for DS2 was nice. :shobon:

Meh.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah seriously, it's nothing compared to the Japanese covers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If we're just comparing it to the Japanese covers then the Souls games always had poo poo covers in the West. I'd rather have the DS2 US cover than the Demon's Souls one, though. Dark Souls was the worst of the three. At least DS2's cover art wasn't "guy in armor stands in a void surrounded by blue glowy poo poo".

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 6, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I saw this tweet from the producer a few days ago but couldn't understand it via Google Translate. Dualshockers says it's a promise to give a special prize to anyone that beats the demo boss at TGS. There's also a response from their marketing guy saying none of the marketing department could beat it at a test meeting.

I think this is a response to people claiming the game looked too easy from the Gamescom demo (despite the demo being tweaked specifically to be easier). The producer had tweeted earlier about this, like "come on, give us some credit!"

Unfortunately game journos seem to be really bad at Souls games, but there's always a chance a member of the public could beat it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Manatee Cannon posted:

If we're just comparing it to the Japanese covers then the Souls games always had poo poo covers in the West. I'd rather have the DS2 US cover than the Demon's Souls one, though. Dark Souls was the worst of the three. At least DS2's cover art wasn't "guy in armor stands in a void surrounded by blue glowy poo poo".

I will never understand how the Dark Souls 1 US/EU cover came about. The moment in the game it's depicting where you walk into the final area with those other souls walking perpendicular to you is so awesome looking and they completely fail to capture that.

Demon's Souls 1 Japanese cover is ultimate though. You actually got it in the US if you got the collector's edition with the mini-guide but they printed relatively few of those.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

This is something I don't get at all. Hell it seemed like every kickstarter tried to say their game was inspired by Dark Souls but not a single one was even close to a clone or similar.

The only thing that could make Dark Souls gameplay better is randomized spawn locations and randomized monster tables.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Neo Rasa posted:

Demon's Souls 1 Japanese cover is ultimate though. You actually got it in the US if you got the collector's edition with the mini-guide but they printed relatively few of those.

Just one more reason why the Hong Kong import of Demon's Souls remains the definitive Souls experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Equilibrium posted:

Just one more reason why the Hong Kong import of Demon's Souls remains the definitive Souls experience.

Hands of God's description posted:

It is the weapon which holds the name of God.

There was once a strong man, who slaughtered a dragon with his bare hands. Those fists became a God in China. The legendary Big M.

• Locked thread