Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Jeez, so much VS love nowadays when someone realized how much damage the Anti-Magic Bite did.

Hawkgirl posted:

I think I last played Crawl seriously around .11 or .12 so I really want to play with Qazlal or the other new god (the stealth one?)... Can anyone give me a suggestion for an easy race/class that would take to either god well?
Hill Orc for Qazlal. High Invocations which means super powered abilities, is good at melee so you can beat up everyone when Qazlal inevitably sends the entire level after you by being extremely noisy.

As for Dith... I don't know really, he supports Stabbing so whichever stealth class that you enjoy, I suppose, but I kind of think he's a god you choose to branch into stealth rather than compliment stealth builds because that's putting too many eggs in one basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Would it ruin the "fun" of the distortion/abyss game to have Abyss:1 completely littered with exits but no chance of a rune? Maybe there's already no chance of a rune.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

BigFactory posted:

Would it ruin the "fun" of the distortion/abyss game to have Abyss:1 completely littered with exits but no chance of a rune? Maybe there's already no chance of a rune.

The rune can't be found until Abyss 3.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'd like to see disortion banish you for a set number of turns depending on how badly you were hit. Get scraped by a kobold on D1, you've got to survive 200 turns at A1 before being yanked back to reality with some glow. Get blatted by a flying executioner's axe of distortion, have fun in A5!

Sure, this encourages you to hang out resting, but so what, something's going to stumble over you soon enough.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Will Lava Orcs and Djinns ever be implemented in stable or are they just stuck forever in limbo? I'm asking because I played a weird race called Plutonians that were pretty fun, but unlikely to pass review.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

amuayse posted:

Will Lava Orcs and Djinns ever be implemented in stable or are they just stuck forever in limbo? I'm asking because I played a weird race called Plutonians that were pretty fun, but unlikely to pass review.
Weren't they removed/junked quite a long time ago? Djinn's gimmick was considered too unbalancable I believe, while Lava Orcs are... well they're Orcs except stupidly good with a mechanic that seems complex but doesn't really have that much of an effect on how you play the game.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
code:
Games won / played 	1 / 1 (100.00%)
Score     Species	Background	God	Turns	Duration	Runes	Date
13836494  Vine Stalker	Berserker	Zin	115230	11:46:27	15	2014-09-01 14:38:29
Maybe I should just stop there...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

scalded schlong posted:

I'd like to see disortion banish you for a set number of turns depending on how badly you were hit. Get scraped by a kobold on D1, you've got to survive 200 turns at A1 before being yanked back to reality with some glow. Get blatted by a flying executioner's axe of distortion, have fun in A5!

Sure, this encourages you to hang out resting, but so what, something's going to stumble over you soon enough.

It's been suggested before; as you noted, it strongly encourages hiding in a hole rather than running around desperately looking for an exit, which I personally find to be a deal-breaker.

Davzz posted:

Weren't they removed/junked quite a long time ago?

Several months ago, yes!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Get sentinel-marked, then. I mean, stealth is clearly overpowered and needs a nerf.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Davzz posted:

As for Dith... I don't know really, he supports Stabbing so whichever stealth class that you enjoy, I suppose, but I kind of think he's a god you choose to branch into stealth rather than compliment stealth builds because that's putting too many eggs in one basket.

OgHu of Dith. No, seriously. I know Ogres are generally bad, but an OgHu has lots of health, GSCs, and large rocks to slug it out once detected, and Dith lets you spookyport up and smoke things in the back of the face with a tree trunk, not to mention improving your mediocre stealth quite a lot AND occasionally doubling up your large rock throws or GSC bludgeons.

Ninjogre is pretty fun.

e: Regarding that suggested Abyss change, why not make it "time out" after revealing a certain number of Abyss tiles? That way you still have to sprint along searching for an exit, but there's mechanic in place to reduce both tedium and bullshit death frequency.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 1, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

OgHu of Dith...

Ninjogre is pretty fun.
Yeah, I actually support this. An Ogre of Dith is actually one of the furthest I've ever taken an Ogre and lots of fun.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
code:
Vanquished Creatures
  4 orc knights (D:7)
  21 elephants (Lair:1)
This is a weird run.

edit: Make that 23 elephants.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Abyss chat: To the chance for an exit to spawn, add the term max(0,K * (6-M)), where M is the HD of the responsible monster and K is whatever constant makes the sums work out. This means that, if you get banished by a rinky dink goblin, there will be a lot more exits popping up. I picked Erolcha as the cutoff point (6 HD) because it's Pretty Much Your Fault if you're banished by Erolcha. Distortion unwields use your level for M (if a low level character wield-IDs a crap distortion weapon, they can have a better chance of escaping if they're banished - since the player is probably just going to suicide them otherwise, this seems fine!) and the Abyss Gate uses 6 for M so this doesn't affect anything past the early early game, which does sound like the problem!

That being said, I don't know if Crawl code can find the "responsible" monster for Abyssing you. If it can, this is a two-line fix (one on the Abyssing event to sent M, and +max(0,K(6-M))) on the exit gen rate), which is cool.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It should know who banished you easily enough.

But it would be better to adjust distortion unweilds in that equation, since you can easily hit level 6 by d:4 or d:5. Better to have it max out somewhere between xl9 and xl14.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I mean distortion unwields could set M as XL/2, whatever. That's not really the element I'm focusing on with this, it's just an incidental.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

amuayse posted:

Are the slimes intelligent enough to be affected by Zin's recite? I'm kind of scared since the few times I've been there, I've gotten my rear end in a top hat cleaved apart by Death Oozes and Acid Blobs.

Not really, no. I think Dissolution and the royal jelly might be the only ones with any semblance of intelligence. correction: dissolution has normal int, trj has plant. According to the wiki, TRJ has silver vulnerability, but I don't know if that's actually relevant - it implies chaotic..

However, Zin will still punish undead and chaotic monsters regardless of intelligence. - Death Oozes and Shining Eyes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Isn't the easier solution just to make abyss:1 reasonably survivable for almost any character that gets sent there? No loot, plenty of up and down exits, no balrogs or zymes or liches, none of that. The real abyss starts on 2.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

When you enslave Asterion's soul he does invocations to Yred instead of Mahkleb to haste himself. I love the little touches like that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

hito posted:

When you enslave Asterion's soul he does invocations to Yred instead of Mahkleb to haste himself. I love the little touches like that.

I love enslave soul so much. I wish you could use it more often. Like maybe each soul you had enslaved counted as a -7 to your effective invo next time you tried to use it.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Three thoughts about Death Knights:

1.) When you play a Death Knight you play bizzaro-crawl where Spider without rPois is still easier than Shoals.

2.) Wands of Draining are super great for Death Knights since it lets you give supporting fire through your minions when a particularly nice gift/soul is in danger.

3.) Feature request: Please give Enslaved Souls their spell lists visible in the describe menu, since they still have spells. It's kinda weird that I can x-v to learn what Norris does but then when he becomes Slave Norris I have to use the wiki.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

hito posted:

Three thoughts about Death Knights:

1.) When you play a Death Knight you play bizzaro-crawl where Spider without rPois is still easier than Shoals.

2.) Wands of Draining are super great for Death Knights since it lets you give supporting fire through your minions when a particularly nice gift/soul is in danger.

3.) Feature request: Please give Enslaved Souls their spell lists visible in the describe menu, since they still have spells. It's kinda weird that I can x-v to learn what Norris does but then when he becomes Slave Norris I have to use the wiki.

1) I always hate Shoals.

3) Yes please. This is a thing I have encountered also and it always annoyed me so I'll definitely second it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Davzz posted:

Jeez, so much VS love nowadays when someone realized how much damage the Anti-Magic Bite did.

Hill Orc for Qazlal. High Invocations which means super powered abilities, is good at melee so you can beat up everyone when Qazlal inevitably sends the entire level after you by being extremely noisy.

Ooh, thanks, I didn't think of Hill Orc. I tried a Minotaur out but he splatted pretty fast as the whole dungeon piled on top of him. I wonder if I can start a Hill Orc without being tempted into going Beogh...

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I haven't played in awhile. Some questions:

1: Is there anyway to make autoexplore break on finding a down staircase? I swore it used to, but now it doesn't.

2: Is there a way to keep the second weapon set equipped? I hit "'", switch to a blowgun, then when I switch back from my dagger again, I need to equip the blowgun again. (Does that use a turn?)

3: Is it worthwhile for a SpEn to use a noisy brand? Or two, with an Elec/Noisy brand. This RandArt is so good, especially since I'm using the dagger I started with.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

quote:

2: Is there a way to keep the second weapon set equipped? I hit "'", switch to a blowgun, then when I switch back from my dagger again, I need to equip the blowgun again. (Does that use a turn?)

Make sure your two weapons are in the a) and b) inventory slots, you can use = to re-juggle them if they're not. Specifically, ' makes you wield whatever is in slot a) if you're not wielding slot a), and makes you wield what's in slot b) if you're wielding slot a). It's only a convenience for weapon-swapping though, it still takes exactly as much time as swapping to any other weapon, that is, half a turn.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Carados posted:

I haven't played in awhile. Some questions:

1: Is there anyway to make autoexplore break on finding a down staircase? I swore it used to, but now it doesn't.

3: Is it worthwhile for a SpEn to use a noisy brand? Or two, with an Elec/Noisy brand. This RandArt is so good, especially since I'm using the dagger I started with.

1. explore_stop includes "stairs" by default. If you use a custom rc that clears this you can just add the line "explore_stop += stairs" to the bottom of your rcfile.

2. Wielding a weapon takes 0.5 turns. Unwielding only takes 0.3 turns (going from wielding something to empty hands). You can only wield one thing at a time; the ' feature is an interface thing only. So is quivering!

3. "of Electrocution" brand does not make any extra noise. In 0.14 and earlier it made big noise if it went off on something in water but now it now longer does anything special in water, and it never made noise outside water.

Noisy and Enchanting do not mix at all. You could keep the weapon as a swap but adding a 5% chance every turn of waking everything you see up is not good for the stealth business.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kaschei posted:

3. "of Electrocution" brand does not make any extra noise. In 0.14 and earlier it made big noise if it went off on something in water but now it now longer does anything special in water, and it never made noise outside water.

Wellll. Technically, electric-branded weapons make significantly more noise when hitting things (whether or not the actual electrical effect activates!), capping out at the same noise as a shout. (All melee attacks make noise, based on the amount of damage done & the type of weapon being used. All melee attacks also have a very, very tiny hunger cost associated. Crawl facts!)

That said, I'm not actually sure how devastating, or the Noisy effect, is. Enchanters generally rely on creating their own opportunities for stabs (through hibernation, confusion, etc), rather than "found" stabs, so I wouldn't think noise would be that bad for them?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

Wellll. Technically, electric-branded weapons make significantly more noise when hitting things (whether or not the actual electrical effect activates!), capping out at the same noise as a shout. (All melee attacks make noise, based on the amount of damage done & the type of weapon being used. All melee attacks also have a very, very tiny hunger cost associated. Crawl facts!)

That said, I'm not actually sure how devastating, or the Noisy effect, is. Enchanters generally rely on creating their own opportunities for stabs (through hibernation, confusion, etc), rather than "found" stabs, so I wouldn't think noise would be that bad for them?

Ah, but stabs make no noise at all! I remembered electrocution wasn't bad for stabbers but I guess I was wrong about why.

Apparently noisy brand changed in 0.15 to only happen on attacks so ignore whatever I said; previously I think it made noise semi-randomly when you were wandering around shoutitis-like, which is pretty suicidal on a SpEn.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
They should make it so stasis prevents being abyssed.It would make stasis more useful and give you an option in the early game if you've found it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Sometimes I don't think my decisions all the way through. :downs:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Aren't teleports in a labyrinth were supposed to move you away from the end, instead of dropping the player literally one step from the lootpile/exit... or is it just heavily weighted and this is one of those 'one in (10^N where N>6)' coincidences that happen constantly?

e:

Serephina posted:

Yes. You lucky bastard. btw why tp in lab at all?
I got impatient and elected to roll the dice instead of backward-exploring through an area I couldn't remember. Thought I had decent odds of landing on the other side of the map, but I was very very wrong.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 2, 2014

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Sometimes I don't think my decisions all the way through. :downs:

StylePoints ++

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

silentsnack posted:

Aren't teleports in a labyrinth were supposed to move you away from the end, instead of dropping the player literally one step from the lootpile/exit... or is it just heavily weighted and this is one of those 'one in (10^N where N>6)' coincidences that happen constantly?

Yes. You lucky bastard. btw why tp in lab at all?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Someone give me a good Yredelemnul build. Enslave Soul sounds fun as hell

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Troll Monk of Yred.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I like polearms with ally gods, which makes merfolk a reasonable choice. Minotaur and Hill Orc always work.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Does the CBRO server count in the tournament? I might try playing there, it is a bit closer to me and maybe will be less laggy than cszo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Darth Windu posted:

Does the CBRO server count in the tournament? I might try playing there, it is a bit closer to me and maybe will be less laggy than cszo.

shhhh you're breaking the first rule of CBRO

Yeah it works and it is great, it has like a fifth of the population of other servers(maybe more than that during the tournament but still).

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

pre:
 36496 | Depths:5 | Noticed Neufeitz the pandemonium lord
 36504 | Depths:5 | Paralysed by Neufeitz for 6 turns
 36508 | Depths:5 | HP: 36/171 [reaper/runed scythe[Neufeitz] (26)]
 36509 | Depths:5 | HP: 15/171 [Neufeitz the pandemonium lord (11)]
 36509 | Depths:5 | HP: 7/171 [Neufeitz the pandemonium lord (7)]
 36510 | Depths:5 | Elyvilon protects you from harm!

Crawl's nightmare scenario almost happened. On the orb run I got paralysed and instakilled from almost full HP by a panlord's chaos melee, but got resurrected by god on the very last turn of paralysis. I wasn't using Ely's lifesaving invocation either, so that's sheer luck. :gonk:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I just played my first game as a summoner. Well, my first game since I really got a handle on how to play.

Wow!

That is pretty much what I have to say, wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ewar Woowar posted:

Someone give me a good Yredelemnul build. Enslave Soul sounds fun as hell

Any race with a good invocations apt is a good follower for Yred. Hill orcs immediately come to mind as they have really good invocations, can use almost any weapon you desire, and are burly enough to make good use of his other skills as well. Enslave soul is interesting but honestly not a selling point of Yred for me just because it so finicky.

Yreds real strength is in your undead army. I find the best way to use his minions is not as a permanent entourage, but rather as your ace in the hole. Most of the time you tell them to wait on their own and just move around with a normal army of zombie meatshields. This keeps them from taking up to much exp and also from getting picked off over time. Only when you are in a dangerous situation do you call for your good undead to come attack. A swarm of bone dragons and profane servitors dropped onto any enemy will most likely win.

His other skills are useful as well though. Drain life is good as both a source of healing and AOE damage, but on ly if you have a lot of invocations investment. Reflect damage will allow you to win almost any 1v1 engagement, but it is very piety heavy so you have to be careful with its use. Enslave soul sounds interesting on paper but the reality is most souls will get killed rather easily. The list of monsters that are useful as souls but not prone to easy death is rather short. I find titans to be your best target late game. They have a big HP pool, smite targeted airstrike to deal damage with, and most important can heal themselves. They can stay alive pretty long.

Yred is a fun god but only suited for 5 rune games at most. He really doesn't give you anything in extended which is a shame.

• Locked thread