Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

That makes perfect sense haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Silver Striker posted:

I don't have any data with me, but I don't really think that's the case anymore. The most prominent one I can think of is WoW's initial launch where Blizzard had a lot of server stability issues because the game was a lot more popular than they anticipated. I think they even had to stop selling copies of WoW for a bit. I think things are generally better now. I would definitely expect things to not be 100% perfect but I don't think we'll see any catastrophic failures. I could be wrong, though, and watching stuff crash and burn is half the fun :allears:

FFXIV last summer. Actually I'd say more often than not any game that involves heavy online dependencies is a poo poo show on day one.

Still, I think that will be minimal with Destiny.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Silver Striker posted:

I don't have any data with me, but I don't really think that's the case anymore. The most prominent one I can think of is WoW's initial launch where Blizzard had a lot of server stability issues because the game was a lot more popular than they anticipated. I think they even had to stop selling copies of WoW for a bit. I think things are generally better now. I would definitely expect things to not be 100% perfect but I don't think we'll see any catastrophic failures. I could be wrong, though, and watching stuff crash and burn is half the fun :allears:

Diablo 3 (PC) was pretty much broken garbage for the first week, and that was two years ago.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

zenintrude posted:

Diablo 3 (PC) was pretty much broken garbage for the first week, and that was two years ago.

Diablo 3: Lord of Error 37

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

zenintrude posted:

Sim City's launch last year was a wonderful thing to experience from a safe distance.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I must have been super lucky because I never had issues with FF14 2.0 or Diablo 3 (well, aside from the game itself) at launch :shrug:

I don't really count SimCity (2013) as a game, though. It's more of an unmitigated disaster.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

There will always be hiccups with huge online launches, there will probably be lag and maybe a lot of disconnects for the first 5 hours. Gotta remember this launches on a school day which will smooth out the population more evenly.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Elder Scrolls Online was a massive flop when it came to servers crashing on launch day too.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Toenail Ninja posted:

Just FYI there's an in-game emblem reward for hitting every icon on all 3 planets. It gives you a code to redeem on Bungie's site on your account.

Can someone post the code if you've already used it so we can try and see if you have to actually do it to get a unique code?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

whoknew posted:

Can someone post the code if you've already used it so we can try and see if you have to actually do it to get a unique code?

7F9-767-F74

Toenail Ninja
Sep 10, 2003

Superman is back!
It's great!

Stanyer89 posted:

7F9-767-F74

I was going to post mine as well and it's the same code as above. Maybe add it to the OP along with the Grimoire codes?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Stanyer89 posted:

7F9-767-F74

Works.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That's the same code I got.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's the first thing that came to mind. 'From the creators of Halo and the people who bought you Call of Duty' was plastered prominently over a lot of Destiny media. I can see how people can make the connection.
That shows up in this trailer that is used in the planetview site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1BM9XRgvw

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Toenail Ninja posted:

I was going to post mine as well and it's the same code as above. Maybe add it to the OP along with the Grimoire codes?

Good idea. I added it in with the Grimoire codes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Silver Striker posted:

I must have been super lucky because I never had issues with FF14 2.0 or Diablo 3 (well, aside from the game itself) at launch :shrug:

I guess you must have been extremely lucky with FF14 2.0 because there were large swaths of time in the first weeks where you couldn't log on, got Error codes, or were (eventually) put into huge login queues.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I was unemployed at the time so I just logged in first thing in the morning and played all day :getin:

Thinking back though I do remember having issues with the instance servers, especially the first few weeks.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I really think that when this game arrives there will be considerably less violence in the world for a while, and it's thanks to Destiny.
Putin has kids, and they're massive gamers. Baghdadi too. They will command the armies to chill.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Destiny Behind the Scenes
It seems like a pretty good chance that the footage they show at 5:46 is from the Vault of Glass. Jumping puzzles look like one big part of the coordination that raids require. I played Megaman 2 a lot, put me down for the xXMLG_Pro_RaiderzzXx clan.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I really hope there aren't jumping puzzles. Holy poo poo

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

FishBulb posted:

I really hope there aren't jumping puzzles. Holy poo poo

I hope it's nothing but jumping puzzles. I hope they took out all the enemies and it's just 6 hours of platforming with rocket boots.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I really hope there's coordinated dancing puzzles.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds good to me, I miss jumps in FPS games. No shame in falling to your demise a time or two. Sounds promising, perhaps indicative of some creative level design.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I love people who are bad at jumping puzzles. It's fuckin mario.

e: Also shouldn't really be a surprise, the trailers have had shots of that jumping puzzle w/ the disappearing platforms for as long as I can remember.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 2, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I hope every raid is just that speeder bike sequence from Battletoads, and if anybody in your raid crashes, you all start over from the beginning.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The best part about the review brouhaha is that it means that Bungie / Activision are almost definitely going to throw a buttload of money at servers for launch day. Imagine the reviews if all the reviewers have had to wait until the 8th or whatever to even get their copies and then they can't play because the servers melt down. Makes me pretty confident for launch day.

Outside of that I don't give a poo poo about reviews:

monkeu posted:

best game ever 100 / 100 gently caress all other games :swoon:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Yeah I really can't remember the last time I read an individual review. I just look at the metacritic score but more importantly I just read the SA thread to see how many active posts there are and how angry they are.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Snackpack Backpack posted:

It seems like a pretty good chance that the footage they show at 5:46 is from the Vault of Glass. Jumping puzzles look like one big part of the coordination that raids require. I played Megaman 2 a lot, put me down for the xXMLG_Pro_RaiderzzXx clan.
As long as they stay true to the roots of Destiny (Mario void levels) all the huge fears will vanish.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Guys guys guys. This time next week we'll be playing (assuming the servers don't melt)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The clan setting stuff is still down until servers go live Tuesday, right?

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Jumping puzzles look like one big part of the coordination that raids require.

Any word on sliding block puzzles? A Tower of Hanoi? Personally, I hope there will be a gate where half the players have to stand on a pressure plate then the other half run through the gate, at which point they stand on a pressure plate, thereby holding the gate open for the players who had just been standing on the first pressure plate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

404GoonNotFound posted:

The clan setting stuff is still down until servers go live Tuesday, right?

Correct

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Will we have to reassign ourselves to the clans? And could you do so without having your copy in hand yet?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ularg posted:

Will we have to reassign ourselves to the clans? And could you do so without having your copy in hand yet?

Yes and I Think So. You should just be able to set it via bungie.net if you were already accepted into the Group.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Athenry posted:

Guys guys guys. This time next week we'll be playing (assuming the servers don't melt)

Some of us will...some of us will...

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a way to modify what your guardian looks like after character creation (as in hair styles and stuff)? From the beta it definitely seemed like some cases of "hey this looks good in the creator", but then looks like poo poo once you load into the Tower.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

For the main clan I will probably open it up as soon as the game launches.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Yessss. Jumping puzzles are the best.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

While we're killing time: Monkeu, where do I recognize you from? Did you host some of the old Halo threads or post in YOSPOS/YCS or something? Your name stands out to me, but I don't remember why, or even if it was because I liked you or thought you were a jerk.

e: Whatever I thought before, I do not think you are a jerk now.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 3, 2014

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Is it true the 360 and Xbone are getting exclusive Halo and Marathon skins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Does the Destiny Planet Viewer just hang on the "turn up your volume" bit for anyone else?

• Locked thread