Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Way late on this, but Bama looked promising in some ways and worrying in others on Saturday.

Pros:

Offense mostly. Our RBs looked scary as always, our WRs looked scary as always, and Sims did a good job in his starting role. Griffith looked really solid as a kicker, and even our punter came out solid. 500+ yards of offensive production is great to see in the season opener.

Cons:

Our secondary looked incredibly beatable, which is not surprising. We're going to face some teams whose offense is custom built to gently caress with that, too, so it has me concerned. The only real stops we had against the pass came when our D-line had penetration to get the sack, or when WVU's wideouts just dropped passes. Hopefully that improves as the season goes on, because it's a glaring weak point.

I can see us dropping a game or two this season, but I've been wrong about that before--and it's not like that's a bad thing. It's really great to be a fan of a team that thinks the possibility of a loss is a bad thing. I remember when we were garbage, and I'm really happy to be a fan during this time. I'm pointing that out because I got a little embarrassingly bitchy during the game (mainly due to stuff outside of TFF, but that's no excuse), and I still feel pretty dumb about it. I forget who it was that called me on my poo poo, other than Andichu, but thanks, whoever it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
Marshall has a legitimate shot of running the table this year, so it's not like putting them 20-25 makes much of a difference. If I were to vote, I think I'd put Georgia at the top. They played a ranked Power 5 opponent and dominated them. Still, it's early and nothing means anything. I feel like the playoff has created less pressure on teams to go out and have a stellar debut in Week 1.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I think it's dumb that SCAR is still ranked in the top 25 after getting crushed by Aggie, when WVU is unranked in the AP poll after losing by 10 to the team that is still #2 on the poll.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Emron posted:

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I think it's dumb that SCAR is still ranked in the top 25 after getting crushed by Aggie, when WVU is unranked in the AP poll after losing by 10 to the team that is still #2 on the poll.

That's debatable. Nobody knows anything after week 1. SCAR losing indicates that either they are that bad or that A&M is that good, plus I think they warrant a benefit of the doubt for starting the season with in-conference play.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There's also the possibility that Alabama goes 8-4 this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Alabama didn't exactly light the world on fire against a worse team, tbh.

Those are not the only two options.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Komet posted:

There's also the possibility that Alabama goes 8-4 this year.

There is. I can see a loss from Aggie and Auburn, maybe Ole Miss? It's tough to say.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Maybe the SEC West will cannibalize itself and miss out on the playoffs. Never going to happen, I know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chris B. Brown did a thing on Michigan State's defense for you tactics nerds:
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/michigan-state-oregon-pat-narduzzi-defense-breakdown/

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There are somewhat conflicting reports as to whether the NCAA will reduce or remove Penn State's sanctions. Most of the recent sports and non sports media are calling for a removal of the sanctions, including a Slate article from last week. A few weeks ago, David Jones of the Harrisburg Patriot News wrote that some of his sources indicate that the Big Ten will push for the reduction of sanctions, and there a fairly strong chance the bowl ban would end as soon as this season.

However, a recent Sporting News article cited two sources which said the NCAA will not reduce sanctions further. This raises an interesting issue. The pendulum of the sports media has swung against the NCAA. David Jones' sources are in the Big Ten, not the NCAA. I wonder if this sanction issue will drive the wedge even deeper between the NCAA and the power conferences.

How tightly does the NCAA regulate the bowl process? What if the Big Ten breaks with the NCAA and allows Penn State the possibility of winning the conference? Can a bowl selection committee bypass the NCAA and invite Penn State regardless?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee lost 5th year senior left tackle Jason Gilliam for the year after tearing an ACL. Not only does this make us even younger on the line it makes us even that more inexperienced. This is going to be a rough year for Worley and the RBs.

e: not that he had a ton of experience. He was a 4 year walk-on and only got a scholarship this year. Utah State was his first ever start. Poor guy

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 3, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Emron posted:

We lost to a ranked conference opponent. Yeah, we looked horrible at home and I will not defend our performance, but people are acting like we got pantsed by an FCS cupcake or something. Aggy is clearly better than anyone outside of TexAgs would have expected. Time will tell just how good they are, of course -- just like time will tell if we're really that miserable.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

quote:

"Credit to Baylor, though. Last time I saw that many Baptists running that fast in a group it was towards a Golden Corral."
:allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
UCLA was finally ranked high enough and played bad enough to be made fun of by HAS. Brings a tear to my eye.

every
Apr 24, 2008

MindlessHavok posted:

Jason Gilliam

Jacob* Gilliam

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Komet posted:

How tightly does the NCAA regulate the bowl process? What if the Big Ten breaks with the NCAA and allows Penn State the possibility of winning the conference? Can a bowl selection committee bypass the NCAA and invite Penn State regardless?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that a bowl selection committee that did this would get their certification revoked or something.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

RumbleFish posted:

We lost to a ranked conference opponent. Yeah, we looked horrible at home and I will not defend our performance, but people are acting like we got pantsed by an FCS cupcake or something. Aggy is clearly better than anyone outside of TexAgs would have expected. Time will tell just how good they are, of course -- just like time will tell if we're really that miserable.

After a loss that bad you should have to earn your way back into the rankings, in my opinion. Doubly so since it was at home.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh my.

quote:

"Anybody know if we can get that Tennessee victory into a zoo? The Endangered Species Act ain't a joke, y'all."

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

quote:

Maybe the problem ain't the driver, Washington.

Oof, that hurts.

The rest of it though, holy poo poo I love Hatin' rear end Spurrier :lol:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

quote:

"Tough start there for Wake, but they call it the Clawfense because you keep putting dollars in the machine and never win anything."

:laffo:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
My goal is to see my team ranked once in my lifetime

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

My goal is to see my team ranked once in my lifetime

Unless you are, like, 19, your team totally has been ranked in your lifetime (#25, for one week, about nineteen years ago).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

As soon as the ball was snapped for the first game this season, it was too late to allow PSU to go to a bowl. You can't change the rules mid game like that.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

As soon as the ball was snapped for the first game this season, it was too late to allow PSU to go to a bowl. You can't change the rules mid game like that.

You sure about that? Everyone knows that Mitchell's next report is due in early September, and yet still talk of the bowl ban being removed as soon as this season.

Besides, if we have learned anything of the NCAA the last few years, it's that they make it up as they go along.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't see why they would be in that big a hurry. Its just Penn State. I doubt the power conferences are willing to die on the that hill, so I doubt they are going to create a whole new precedent for them.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

buddhanc posted:

Maybe the SEC West will cannibalize itself and miss out on the playoffs. Never going to happen, I know.

It is possible but if LSU-Auburn-Bama-aTm all look like top 10-20 teams, and the winner of the West then beats another ranked team from the East in the championship, that team would probably get into the playoff with 2 losses unless there was an undefeated power 5 in their way.

I don't think 1 loss Ohio State/MSU gets in over a 2 loss West champion if all of those West teams end up looking like good teams.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Komet posted:

You sure about that? Everyone knows that Mitchell's next report is due in early September, and yet still talk of the bowl ban being removed as soon as this season.

Besides, if we have learned anything of the NCAA the last few years, it's that they make it up as they go along.

No one is climbing up on the cross for Penn State after Sandusky

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

Unless you are, like, 19, your team totally has been ranked in your lifetime (#25, for one week, about nineteen years ago).

They weren't my team back then!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I kind of want every Florida game to be cancelled due to weather this year. The hilarity and frustration would break me, I know, but it might be worth it as the ultimate existential crisis.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

It just doesn't seem fair to change any sort of rule, suspension, whatever once the season starts. That's just the way I think. Conversely, I don't think it would be fair if a team did something that made them want to implement a bowl ban but hand it down in November after the season's started.

EPearson07
Dec 10, 2004
Wooden Nickel

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

They weren't my team back then!

Maybe if you get cryogenically frozen...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This is all of my favorite things.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EPearson07 posted:

Maybe if you get cryogenically frozen...

In the future, all bowls are Taco Bell.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I like football and I've grown to like college football, but I don't have a college football team. Who should I root for this year?

I'll probably just take up the flag of whoever first responds to this but no Alabama, Florida State, or Maryland. Nick Saban is an rear end in a top hat, I don't want to be a bandwagoner and the terps moving conferences just bugs the hell out of me for some reason. I'm just so used to the ACC :shurg:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I like football and I've grown to like college football, but I don't have a college football team. Who should I root for this year?

I'll probably just take up the flag of whoever first responds to this but no Alabama, Florida State, or Maryland. Nick Saban is an rear end in a top hat, I don't want to be a bandwagoner and the terps moving conferences just bugs the hell out of me for some reason. I'm just so used to the ACC :shurg:

If you like defense, MSU. If you like offense, Oregon or Auburn. If you like anthropomorphic trees, Stanford.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oregon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Pick a midmajor at random.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Rutgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Root for the San Diego State Aztecs

• Locked thread