Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm just really glad they didn't keep the over-the-top Spanish maid from the first episode that literally tucked Oliver in to bed and had the worst accent.

I feel like it is worth going through season 1, you get to experience the build of the story and really appreciate when it all comes together at the end of the season. And most episodes have at least a couple of good scenes (even if the main story sucks) since I genuinely enjoyed almost all of the island flash backs. Plus, if you skip those episodes, you won't get to see the brilliant acting job of Count Vertigo that feels like a community college theater student trying to do his best Joker impersonation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Yeah, I tried to go into season 2 after watching the "recap" and was completely lost and didn't care. The first 20 episodes are a slog, but you need them to see the relationships between certain characters build. It makes the final arc worthwhile.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I dunno, I feel like if you honestly hate the first 75% of the first season, you aren't going to find the rest of the show that much better. Yeah, the last 25% picks up quite a bit just through the basic fact that it is the climax of that whole season, but you're probably just going to end up hating a huge chunk of season 2 as well.

I personally didn't have any issues marathoning through season 1, and while the end was better than the beginning, it certainly didn't seem like night and day the way SHIELD did.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno, I feel like if you honestly hate the first 75% of the first season, you aren't going to find the rest of the show that much better. Yeah, the last 25% picks up quite a bit just through the basic fact that it is the climax of that whole season, but you're probably just going to end up hating a huge chunk of season 2 as well.

I personally didn't have any issues marathoning through season 1, and while the end was better than the beginning, it certainly didn't seem like night and day the way SHIELD did.

I never really thought of season one to be mostly a write-off. It was more inconstant than anything else, but there are great moments in even the lesser episodes. Season 1 is all about Olly growing as a character and finding out more about himself and what his mission is. This is why I think the season really picks up during the Huntress episodes. Before that Olly just comes across as an angry guy lashing out, but he really begins to realize that there is a bigger plan and he needs to be more. There are character moments sprinkled throughout the episodes and it makes the season worth watching, even the less stellar episodes.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The latter portion of Arrow's first season helped me appreciate and like what came before it more. Whereas with SHIELD, I was hooked despite how awful it was for the first 2/3 of the season, Arrow was just super boring and never hooked me, but in retrospect, the relationships it created became more important and interesting. Like Oliver & Felicity, Felicity & Step Dad Guy, Merlin & Father, etc. I didn't appreciate the worldbuilding they did for those characters together until I saw the end result. Like pointillism.

Arrow is an action/drama series, SHIELD is an adventure series. They both had rocky starts but found their footing. That's my take away.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am amazed that you could be bored by Arrow, which was literally faster paced than SHIELD, and was not bored by SHIELD. Like I could get if you felt the same way about both, or perhaps had it the other way around, since the first 2/3 of SHIELD was super slow, very barely related stuff, but saying Arrow season 1 was more boring than SHIELD is hard for me to get.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Plus, Shield needed a major movie tie-in to be interesting.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I lamented in here or the TVIV couch thread both times I tried to get into Arrow, and prior to season 2 when I watched the recap. I don't know why I never latched onto it like I did with SHIELD. Maybe because of the MCU tie in, and my desire for more of that, or maybe because initially I was really turned off by all the changes between the comic and the show (Green Arrow was one of my favorites as a kid, and was really butthurt when he died, etc) - I'm not sure.

I'm sure my tastes won't always jive with others, I'm just telling you about my experience. I had to really work to get into Arrow, but I'm very happy that I did.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Oh hey, River Tam just showed up.

Yeah... just... um... don't get your hopes up for her costume.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I lamented in here or the TVIV couch thread both times I tried to get into Arrow, and prior to season 2 when I watched the recap. I don't know why I never latched onto it like I did with SHIELD. Maybe because of the MCU tie in, and my desire for more of that, or maybe because initially I was really turned off by all the changes between the comic and the show (Green Arrow was one of my favorites as a kid, and was really butthurt when he died, etc) - I'm not sure.

I'm sure my tastes won't always jive with others, I'm just telling you about my experience. I had to really work to get into Arrow, but I'm very happy that I did.

I can see how being a fan of the comics would sour you on the show. That is actually pretty understandable. You should have mentioned that before and if you did I am blind, sorry.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

something clever posted:

I want to get into it, but do not want to slog through the first 19. Is it necessary to watch all of them? Can I skip to the end of the season or is there a preferred watchlist going into season 2? I am definitely looking forward to Flash and wanted to get some background on that shared universe.

I honestly only felt the first two or threw episodes were a slog. I was really down onArrow and poo poo talked it a bit until the third time I attempted to actually watched it and got past those first few episodes. Near the end of the first season it goes full on comic book amd is wonderful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DC is pitching a Supergirl series, saith Bleeding Cool.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Not SBFF, don't care.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Apparently Netflix have paid big bucks to get the World Wide Digital Distribution Rights for Gotham. Since this means I'll be able to watch it on Netflix and not wait ages for it to come onto Terrestrial TV, I approve of this.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/netflix-reaches-global-licensing-pact-with-warner-bros-for-gotham-1409706770

The rumours say they paid around $2 million per episode for these rights, so I guess someone at Netflix feels that Gotham is going to be a big hit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

Not SBFF, don't care.

I'd be tentatively interested if it's in the Arrow/Flash continuity. I actually liked the New 52 Supergirl a fair bit before I kinda fell out of reading monthly. You could even do a neat inversion where Kara's the one who crashlands in Kansas as a baby.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Apparently Netflix have paid big bucks to get the World Wide Digital Distribution Rights for Gotham. Since this means I'll be able to watch it on Netflix and not wait ages for it to come onto Terrestrial TV, I approve of this.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/netflix-reaches-global-licensing-pact-with-warner-bros-for-gotham-1409706770

The rumours say they paid around $2 million per episode for these rights, so I guess someone at Netflix feels that Gotham is going to be a big hit.

Is Terrestrial TV a company? The article I read said they expected Gotham s1 to go up in September '15, right before a potential season 2 premiere.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Is Terrestrial TV a company? The article I read said they expected Gotham s1 to go up in September '15, right before a potential season 2 premiere.

It's a term used here in the UK, at least, to mean broadcast (non-cable/satellite) TV. The deal Netflix have is apparently similar to their deal for Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, which means outside the US, Netflix gets to show them first. We got Breaking Bad on UK Netflix a few hours after it aired in the US.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It's a term used here in the UK, at least, to mean broadcast (non-cable/satellite) TV. The deal Netflix have is apparently similar to their deal for Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, which means outside the US, Netflix gets to show them first. We got Breaking Bad on UK Netflix a few hours after it aired in the US.

Ah I see.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Speaking of DC shows, Dominic Purcell is gonna be Heatwave in the Flash. Moreover, it'll apparently be as part of a team up with Captain Cold, so... The Rogues are gonna happen, hopefully.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
As öong as they have Captain Bumerang and paly him completly straight I am happy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Speaking of DC shows, Dominic Purcell is gonna be Heatwave in the Flash. Moreover, it'll apparently be as part of a team up with Captain Cold, so... The Rogues are gonna happen, hopefully.

Really? I CALLED THIS!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Astro Nut posted:

Haha, Prison Break reunion. That is awesome.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Unlike Arrow, who has to borrow Batman villains every now and again, Flash has his own villains and it would make sense to use them in his show.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Unlike Arrow, who has to borrow Batman villains every now and again, Flash has his own villains and it would make sense to use them in his show.

Geoff Johns is one of the writers, did anyone doubt that they would include the Rogues?

e: the group, that is, not the individual villains.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 3, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Haha, Prison Break reunion. That is awesome.

(Scene from episode ten. The Rogues are in prison.)
Captain Cold: Okay, I have come up with an elaborate plan which, while complex, is guaranteed to get us out of here. You all will have a part to play, I need you to do the following...
(Jump cut, the Rogues just run through a wall and out the prison.)

Heat Wave: Man, that was easy.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So, I'm 12 episodes into season two of Arrow, and it's about a thousand times better than season one. I'm really on a high with it. Had to share this moment, finally got to see Ollie & Roy face to face for the first time in costume only to look up and see my original Hester art from vol 3, issue 20, page 10 with Ollie and Roy on the road (with a Gorilla Grod tease). It's not the Green Arrow show I WANTED, but it's still really, really good when it wants to be.

The page on the left is the one I mentioned. The page on the right is the flashback from issue 22, vol 3, where Ollie remembers being on the island and convincing himself that a rat is going to taste "just like cheeseburger."

Now that I've written this post, I'm kind of regretting it, but it was a cool moment as a longtime fan of the comics - to see two characters I've been reading since the late 80's finally meet on screen for the first time without a mask in between them. Gave me the warm tinglies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So... according to Stephen Amell's Facebook Matt Nable is playing Ra's Al Ghul on Arrow. Or he's joking. I'm not sure because there isn't any other news about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Matt Nable has been confirmed as Ra's as well as the news that Devon Aoki had to drop out of the show due to scheduling conflicts. Now Katana will be played by The Wolverine's Rila Fukushima.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

Matt Nable has been confirmed as Ra's as well as the news that Devon Aoki had to drop out of the show due to scheduling conflicts. Now Katana will be played by The Wolverine's Rila Fukushima.

I love that the chick with a katana in The Wolverine is going to play a character named Katana. She was good in The Wolverine, but this is about as on the nose as you get with casting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She also has kind of a weird looking head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

She also has kind of a weird looking head.

She's got the same kind of far apart alien eyes that the girl they got playing Selina Kyle in Gotham has.

BTW this is NOT a picture of D'Onfrio as Kingpin this is just him at an event.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I didn't think I could accept a white Kingpin, but here we are.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The world isn't ready for white Kingpin.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is going to be rad. D'nofrio is scary enough playing a good guy

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

She's got the same kind of far apart alien eyes that the girl they got playing Selina Kyle in Gotham has.

BTW this is NOT a picture of D'Onfrio as Kingpin this is just him at an event.

Holy poo poo, they don't have to change anything, that looks already like the Kingpin attending some social event.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

e X posted:

Holy poo poo, they don't have to change anything, that looks already like the Kingpin attending some social event.

What are you talking about? That's legitimate actor and humble importer/exporter of spices, Vincent D'Onofiro. There's no such person as the Kingpin.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The one thing that Kingpin's original appearances that really clashes with his more modern depiction is that he's much more of a cartoony villain. He is so massive and Spider-Man, someone with super strength, often struggles in hand to hand combat. He has a walking cane that shoots lasers. But in more recent comic appearances, Kingpin tries to attack Spider-Man and Spider-Man just loving crushes him without even really trying and Daredevil has a good chance against him as well.

So I really don't mind if a TV or movie adaptation of Kingpin doesn't have him be ridiculously huge. He should be tall and intimidating, but he doesn't need to be huge.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

The one thing that Kingpin's original appearances that really clashes with his more modern depiction is that he's much more of a cartoony villain. He is so massive and Spider-Man, someone with super strength, often struggles in hand to hand combat. He has a walking cane that shoots lasers. But in more recent comic appearances, Kingpin tries to attack Spider-Man and Spider-Man just loving crushes him without even really trying and Daredevil has a good chance against him as well.

So I really don't mind if a TV or movie adaptation of Kingpin doesn't have him be ridiculously huge. He should be tall and intimidating, but he doesn't need to be huge.

I would say that all changed when Kingpin became more of a Daredevil villain than Spider-man. Daredevil's world was more "realistic" and they got rid of all those things. He then became a man who is at the same strength level as Daredevil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

To be fair, Spider-Man also struggled fighting the loving Enforcers around that time, his Super Strength has always been a little wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I just read up the Kingpin wikipedia article earlier today, and they address this very thing. Apparently, Spider-Man has some sort of mental block that makes him instinctively pull his punches against non-super-powered foes so he doesn't accidentally kill them. That block was missing when he beat the poo poo out of Kingpin later on.