Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Roland Scenario 1: "Force of Arms" (Part 4)

The hero that took our mine was Sandro, the Necromancer. His army isn't too overwhelming: lots of Skeletons, Zombies and freelance Sprites, a dozen or so Mummies, and a couple Vampires. However, our main force is several days' march away.

Wilfrey, too, is nowhere near the mine he captured, as he has headed back to town to gather more troops.

Kalindra is close to home as well, but she sets off toward the Archers standing between her and the windmill.

We've collected enough resources to build the Wizard's highest-level recruitment structure: the Cloud Castle!

The Cloud Castle fades in at the top of our screen. Corackston has come a long way.

Giants are among the toughest melee attackers in the game, but they are very expensive to hire. Not only do they require a hefty sum of gold, but gems as well! This makes it important for us to keep a hold on our gem mines. Only top-tier units such as this require a resource cost besides gold.

There is actually an upgraded version of this unit, but the renovations to the Cloud Castle are way out of our price range right now.

Meanwhile, Kalindra scares off the Archers and pays a visit to the Windmill. The Windmill generates a small amount of resources each week. Probably it would have been more useful earlier in the mission.

This time, she resupplies her troops personally. Her visit to town has taught her a few more spells, as our Mage Tower is now level 3. (Unfortunately I missed the chance to take a screenshot of that; the offerings weren't great, in any case.)

Wilfrey hangs back to collect a second wave of reinforcements while Kalindra marches north for Orange's territory.

She recaptures their gold mine once again, and gets ready to head out into the unknown.

On the outskirts of Orange's holdings, we come across a 3rd level magic shrine.

The priests within fork over their "protection" payment in the form of the Mass Bless spell. This buffs all friendly units with Bless, raising their damage to maximum.

We're also able to grab their Gem mine while we're in the neighborhood.

Then we lay claim to their Alchemist's Lab and Crystal Mines, further disrupting their economy.

The breadcrumb trail of resource points leads us right to Orange's doorstep. It's time to lay siege!

The defender, the necromancer Celia, begins the battle with his forces protected by castle walls, a moat, and defensive turrets which will rain down arrows on my troops every turn. The defender can freely leave the safety of the keep through the central drawbridge, but otherwise the walls can't be moved past until destroyed and the moat ends your movement when you walk into it. Shooting past the walls normally reduces ranged damage by half, but we can thankfully bypass this penalty with the Archery skill.

The Vampire lords are the biggest threat to us, as they can fly right into our shooters and attack without retaliation. Our Archmagi take aim, and inflict severe damage, thanks partly to our Hero's Archery skill.

Only 3 of the Vampire lords survived the attack, though the opponent's arrow towers are able to pick off two Archmagi. You may have noticed the Catapult - this is how we are to destroy the enemy's walls! Every turn it fires at a random section of the castle, potentially damaging or destroying their walls and towers. If we had the Ballistics skill our catapult would be a lot more effective, but we should be fine without it.

The remaining Vampire lords fly right to the Archmagi, but inflict no casualties. The opposing hero blinds my rocs, freezing them in place until they are damaged or the spell wears off.

Our giants move downward to protect our mages, who fend off a second weak attack from a small group of Sprites.

Our Steel Golems punish the Vampire lords for getting too close, and they crumble into dust.

In response to the Blind, we cast Anti-Magic on our Rocs, dispelling the debuff and protecting them from further magical trickery.

The Archmages bludgeon the nearby Sprites, destroying them instantly.

The enemy's Mummies walk out of their gate, and find themselves on the wrong end of a lucky strike from our sole Giant.

Our restored Rocs finish the job.

The enemy's Zombies shamble out on to the drawbridge to meet us, and they are promptly killed by our Rocs. Their corpses weigh the drawbridge down, allowing us to cross freely.

This turns out to be a moot point, as we walk our Giant into the moat, baiting the Skeletons to attack him.

The Giant dispatches them handily.

We've won the siege! Our Archmagi took moderate losses, but it was a clear victory. Celia departs in shame and the defenders' town, Willow, becomes ours.

Kalindra gains another level in the aftermath, choosing to learn Estates (which gives our kingdom gold every turn) over Eagle Eye (which sucks).

However, we have some unfinished business to attend to with Sandro...

dhamster fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is it at that point that you saw the other Orange hero that you realised you hadn't taken out Sandro in the castle :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

is it at that point that you saw the other Orange hero that you realised you hadn't taken out Sandro in the castle :v:

Based on the army and enemy hero sprite it should be Sandro. Why do you suggest that it actually a doombot?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Aces High posted:

Whoops, that was Celia. I didn't remember which was which since they had nearly the same units, and I didn't spot her name in the combat log. I had guessed it was Sandro so the update could flow a little better.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Based on the army and enemy hero sprite it should be Sandro. Why do you suggest that it actually a doombot?

Because I read the combat logs :v:

But you do have a point, there's no real reason to suspect otherwise except I am one of those people who right clicks on every single enemy hero and town/city 3 or 4 times a turn before making a decision if I will attack or not

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Roland Scenario 1: "Force of Arms" (Part 5)

We engage Sandro in battle. The numbers appear to be in our favor.

As before, the opponent's Sprites and Vampire lords rush our casters, and they take light losses. Neither of those fliers allow a defender to retaliate, so they are still at full strength. Additionally, our Rocs are temporarily out of commission due to a Blind debuff.

The Vampire lords are the biggest immediate threat to our army, so Kalindra fires off a lightning bolt at them, inflicting a few casualties.

The mages swat the Sprites away without problem, but Sandro has now blinded our Golems as well!

Our Giant heads up top to fend off the Skeletons, and gets a lucky strike! 31 skeletons fall at the hands of our lone Giant.

A second Lightning Bolt is enough to finish off the encroaching Vampire lords.

Victory is assured, but it is a costly one: a cheap shot from Orange kills our Giant! RIP

Enraged, our troops shatter the remainder of Sandro's forces.

Despite the loss of our Giant, our army emerged from the encounter relatively unscathed. Sandro's army, however, was eliminated completely.

Orange has been defeated! Green, too, is gone: they have been conquered by Yellow since we last saw them. We can now exploit Orange's former holdings to continue the fight against Yellow!

Willow had grown into a bustling undead city under Orange's stewardship.

They even have a fully upgraded Mage Tower! We learn Resurrect True, which allows us to bring back lost units from the dead. Also pictured is Cure, which restores health to a single troop and clears any debuffs on it, Curse, which sets a stack's attack damage to minimum, and Haste, which raises the movement speed of a unit. We're also lucky to have access to Blind, which totally incapacitates a unit until it is attacked.

We build a Mausoleum, which enables us to recruit Liches. Liches are a powerful ranged attacker that deal damage in a small area of effect around their target.

Wilfrey has almost completed his ride north. He prepares to resupply Kalindra's troops.

Although towns can raise six different types of troops, heroes only have five slots in their army. During their rendezvouse Kalindra takes everything but the Halflings.

Kalindra heads northeast into unknown territory.

Blocking her path are a force of Cavaliers. Cavaliers are among the fastest ground units in the game, which helps compensate for the Knight's lack of Flying units.

Our Boars march out to meet the Cavaliers and take moderate losses to the first wave.

They are hit hard twice more by opportunistic horsemen. Only a few Boars remain as our Giants move in to position.

The Giants utterly destroy the stack of riders nearest them. Our oft-blinded Rocs fly in to the thick of the fighting...

...and obliterate another group of Cavaliers. It seems the tide is turning in our favor.

However, the Champions at the bottom have reached our Archmagi!

The Champions, weakend by ranged fire earlier in the fight, are unable to kill even a single mage. The archmagi, however, are able to kill all three attackers in retaliation.

The rest is a slaughter.

Our boars took heavy losses at first, but they lured the horsement within range of our ground pounders, protecting our newly replenished Archmagi from harm. Hopefully their sacrifice was worth it: we're now a long way from the nearest Wizard troops.

After conquering Green, Yellow has taken two castles. Perhaps the best option is to field a two-pronged assault against them. It makes sense to raise an Undead army anyway: resupplying our troops from the Wizard faction will take a long time, and using a mixed force will hurt our living troops' morale.

We have a huge stockpile of resources saved up, so we're able to build their highest tier recruitment dwelling right away.

With Kalindra already marching toward Yellow, Wilfrey is the natural choice to lead our newly raised Undead troops.

Meanwhile, Kalindra begins to capture Yellow's production buildings. We must be getting close to one of their castles.

After a few days raising troops, Wilfrey has put together a respectable fighting force. However, we've got too many units! He leaves the Skeletons behind to make room for some Vampire lords.

Kalindra has made her way deep into enemy territory. Still, no sight of a settlement yet.

Wilfrey brings up the rear, setting a path toward a different splotch of unexplored land.

Kalindra has grown quite powerful at this point. Her martial talents exceed that of a fledgeling Knight, amd she is a very powerful spellcaster to boot! In her backpack she holds a pendant that protects her troops from Berserk and the luck-boosting Rabbit's Foot we mentioned previously.

During the enemy turn, one of Yellow's heroes, Alamar, creeps out of the fog of war and snakes our Gem Mine! You'll pay for this, Alamar!!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that bastard taking our precious TitanGiant producing gems :argh:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

Because I read the combat logs :v:

But you do have a point, there's no real reason to suspect otherwise except I am one of those people who right clicks on every single enemy hero and town/city 3 or 4 times a turn before making a decision if I will attack or not
Busted, I only looked at the units lost. :(

In my opinion, Heroes2 bone dragons are some of the best designed creatures in Heroes. :allears:
I also really like their Heroes5 incarnations. All that smoke makes them really menacing, even if they fly like they really shouldn't even try.

Champions tie for the fastest unit in the game with the Phoenix being ultra fast. Iīm personally not that impressed with a creature (cavalry) thatīs only very fast. Seems like a lot of creatures are very fast.
AI loves blinding and attacking rocs for some reason. :shrug:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

dhamster posted:

They even have a fully upgraded Mage Tower! We learn Resurrect True, which allows us to bring back lost units from the dead.

Is it any wonder that Heroes 3 introduced different factions having different chances of getting certain spells from Mage Guilds? Spending all that time and resources for a spell a Necromancer can't even use is pretty much the worst.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Trasson posted:

Is it any wonder that Heroes 3 introduced different factions having different chances of getting certain spells from Mage Guilds? Spending all that time and resources for a spell a Necromancer can't even use is pretty much the worst.

Oh yeah, that's right. This game uses the spell Animate Dead for the necromancer. Fortunately, they remembered to try and balance this, so Animate Dead is a third level spell as opposed to resurrect true being a fifth level spell. Even better, this is Resurrect True. Wasn't there also a resurrect where you only resurrect your units for the current battle? This opposed to the necromancers whose Animate Dead spell will always be permanent.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Resurrect was 4th level, same with chain lightning and fireblast I want to say? Resurrect kinda wasn't worth it, you spend 15 mp that could've given you 2 casts of lightning bolt or really ANY other combination of offensive and defensive spells instead of wasting it on resurrecting creatures that are already dead.

For whatever reason I have no recollection of ever using Animate Dead, probably because I remember in Heroes 3 all it did was give you a bunch of skeletons. Does the spell actually resurrect the Necromancer units properly? Or is it just a poo poo tonne of skeletons?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

Resurrect was 4th level, same with chain lightning and fireblast I want to say? Resurrect kinda wasn't worth it, you spend 15 mp that could've given you 2 casts of lightning bolt or really ANY other combination of offensive and defensive spells instead of wasting it on resurrecting creatures that are already dead.

For whatever reason I have no recollection of ever using Animate Dead, probably because I remember in Heroes 3 all it did was give you a bunch of skeletons. Does the spell actually resurrect the Necromancer units properly? Or is it just a poo poo tonne of skeletons?
Resurrect was a horrible spell and I have no idea what level it was. I figure either 3 or 4.

Nope it works like resurrect true. So bring all those bone dragons back to unlife.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Roland Scenario 1: "Force of Arms" (Part 6)

Alamar only has a small contingent of troops under his command. Enough to scout with and clear out trash on the map, but it's unlikely he'll be able to withstand our main combat force. Kalindra aims a fireball at the bunched troops on the top right.

The fireball inflicts some light casualties. Their wolves kill our Boars, but our Archmages earn a lucky strike against them, killing all 10 wolves.

After a turn of troop movement, our Archmages take aim at the trolls, killing them as well. Our Rocs sit in the backfield, paralyzed by Alamar.

Alamar paralyzes our golems as well.

The minotaurs take a feeble swing at the helpless golems, and manage to kill only a single golem.

The enemy flees! We earn less experience than we would have normally, and the enemy gets to re-hire Alamar and keep any artifacts he may have had. However, Alamar will lose any of the troops he brought into this battle.

Alamar's appearance gives us a good hint at the location of the nearest Yellow stronghold. We ignore the mine for now. It's time to take the fight to their doorstep!

Meanwhile, wilfrey has made a discovery of his own...

...it's a Warlock castle!

Neither side looks to have an overwhelming advantage here. Their town has only a middling garrison, but our forces were assembled rather hastily as well.

Our Power Liches chunk a few of the centaurs behind the walls, but the enemy Warlock responds by killing several of them with a Lightning Bolt. Their Gargoyles fly over to harass our liches further and prevent them from firing down range. None of our other units have a ranged attack, although our Vampire Lords and Bone Dragons can both fly.

Our Vampire Lords and Royal Mummies are able to kill a few Gargoyles. The enemy Centaurs snipe our remaining Lich from afar.

The bone dragons turn out to be our trump card. One lucky strike is enough to destroy all 21 surviving gargoyles.

Realizing the threat, they send their 10 Griffins at our Bone Dragons. They're unable to kill a single dragon, and take 7 casualties upon the dragons' retaliation.

Wilfrey throws a Fireball at the troops sitting behind the walls. It kills 6 centaurs and no minotaurs, thanks to his relatively anemic 3 Spellpower.

The Royal Mummies take a swing at the remaining Griffins, killing them outright.

Our Vampire Lords use their bat form to get over the wall and attack the Hydras. They inflict no casualties, but take none in return (mostly because units can't retaliate against Vampires)

Our dragons continue to take a beating from spells, centaurs and arrow towers.

They take a bite out of the Hydras on the other side of the wall. This was a Bad Idea, since Hydras simultaneously attack all units adjacent to them, friend or foe.

The Hydras continue to take casualties, but the strength of the Bone Dragons wanes as well.

Our last dragon crumbles after bearing the brunt of the opponent's assault. The combination of a Lightning Bolt and a couple hits from our Vampire Lords is enough to swat away the centaurs who have been harassing us all this time. We really should have killed them sooner. At the same time, our zombies have reached the moat and will be able to cross into the keep next turn through a destroyed wall segment.

They cross the moat and go for the minotaurs! Despite the lucky strike, they only inflict a single casualty. Zombies are pretty weak, and minotaurs are pretty sturdy melee combatants.

Wilfrey casts Death Ripple, dealing minor damage to all non-undead units (in this case, all enemy units).

The final hydra, now severely weakened, is put out of its misery by our Vampire Lords.

Our Royal Mummies join the fight. The minotaurs are slowly being whittled down, but our forces are beginning to face significant losses as well.

The arrow towers finish off our remaining Vampire Lords. The clock is ticking!

Wilfrey looks at his spellbook and finds that he doesn't have enough mana remaining to cast anything! It looks like our Mummies and Zombies will have to go it alone from here.

Our units trade hits with the minotaurs as the arrow towers continue to wear them down...

...but there simply weren't enough minotaurs to hold off the handful of undead we had left.

Close. Probably a little too close. But we did it. Pig's Eye is ours! Only one enemy stronghold remains. It's up to Kalindra to finish the job...

dhamster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 30, 2014

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Aces High posted:

Animate dead was the best poo poo in heroes 3, especially if you picked the hero who specialized in it giving him a 5% per level bonus to his effective spell power when casting it. You would win fights by raw attrition because you were resurrecting hundreds of hit points worth of creatures every turn. Also it was earth magic so it go bonuses from something you wanted to specialize in anyway.

Also the mummy recruitment building in 2 always amuses me. "'Hey guys what should we build after our unearthed graves and cemeteries?' 'I know how about a giant replica pyramid bigger than our castle to attract mummies from far off lands?' 'Perfect!'" That's probably the reason they made wraiths the new tier 3 necro unit and moved mummies to a neutral unit in 3.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm actually kinda glad they nerfed the resurrection madness in later Heroes games.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Also the mummy recruitment building in 2 always amuses me. "'Hey guys what should we build after our unearthed graves and cemeteries?' 'I know how about a giant replica pyramid bigger than our castle to attract mummies from far off lands?' 'Perfect!'" That's probably the reason they made wraiths the new tier 3 necro unit and moved mummies to a neutral unit in 3.
Interestingly it has stayed a neutral unit since then too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

quote:

Wilfrey throws a Fireball at the troops sitting behind the walls. It kills 6 centaurs and no minotaurs, thanks to his relatively anemic 3 Spellpower.
It could also be because fireball is a horrible song spell. 10 times spellpower always equals crap damage unless you have a godly hero. You probably should've cast blind on the centaurs or steel skin on the bone dragons.

I miss the mummies. Thinking about the change in tone in the game it also makes sense to remove them. Vampires and zombies are easy to slot into a more serious position, but mummies will always be wrapped up jerky.

Edit: I also always wonder how they decided which units can upgrade and which can't. There a ppears to be no logic in it.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 31, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Edit: I also always wonder how they decided which units can upgrade and which can't. There a ppears to be no logic in it.

There is no logic in it. See: dragons.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Roland Scenario 1: "Force of Arms" (Part 7)

We take a look at the troop dwellings in Pig's Eye. Over five weeks' worth of hydras are available to hire, as well as a week's worth of lower-leveled troops. Either Yellow didn't have the funds to hire the hydras out, or they didn't think they were in enough danger to buy them all at once. Still, this should be enough to replenish our forces and clean up any nearby scout heroes.

Their mage tower isn't as well developed as the Necromancer town we took. In terms of status effects we can now cast Slow to reduce the movement speed of a stack, Stoneskin and Disrupting Ray to raise or lower the Defense Skill of a creature, and Dispel Magic to remove all buffs/debuffs from a creature (or all creatures, in the case of Mass Dispel). In terms of damage, we now know Cold Ring, which deals minor damage to all units surrounding an unharmed central point. We already have Lightning Bolt, which is perhaps the best single target damage spell in the game.

For the second time, Wilfrey fires his troops to assemble an army of troops from a new faction. This time, he hires our new Warlock troops and fires his undead. Keeping both would cause problems for the morale of our living units.

Next, he gets ready to pick off the straggler nearby. He doesn't have enough movement points right now to drag that hero into combat this turn, though.

Meanwhile, Kalindra finds the remaining enemy outpost! It's time for another siege battle.

Kalindra starts off the battle with a Cold Ring spell, hitting the Centaurs and Gargoyles behind the wall. 16 Centaurs and 5 Gargoyles perish.

The Archmagi inflict some heavy casualties to the opponent's Orcs. Our Rocs are blinded before they can act and the Gargoyles engage the mages in melee, but are hit hard in retaliation.

Their Griffins join in as well, killing a few more mages. Since the Gargoyles already ate the mages' retaliation strike this turn, the griffins have not yet been harmd.

The Archmages are completely surrounded, causing the enemy's Sprites to go for our Iron Golems. The Golems ignore their attacker for now and clobber the Gargoyles into the dirt.

Kalindra throws a Lightning Bolt at the Griffins, killing nearly half of them.

The archmagi easily defeat the Sprites nearby, and our Giants further soften up the Griffins. The griffins go for our mages and are wiped out in retaliation!

Our hero knocks over their Orcs with a spell and our mages close out the fight by blasting their Centaurs.

We capture the city! And the defeated hero's artifacts. This one boosts morale.

There remains one bit of unfinished business...

Wilfrey has hunted down Crodo, Yellow's last hero.

A lightning bolt takes out his Orcs and our Gargoyles easily get rid of their Sprites.

The minotaurs don't go down so easily.

Their minotaurs fight bravely and our Gargoyles and Griffins are cut down. Still, they are too far outnumbered to stand a chance. It is a decisive victory. We did it! We beat the mission! There's a cutscene, but I'll save it for the beginning of the next update.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Strangely, I find myself casting cold ring more often than you would think. I like that the center is not attacked making it a very nice spell to help out your surrounded shooters, especially if they're being surrounded by junk stacks.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's funny how useless "firex" spells are in the Heroes games (I can't remember if they get any better in the later installments but they sure as poo poo aren't useful outside of heroes with that specialty in 3) in comparison to the cold spells or air spells.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aces High posted:

it's funny how useless "firex" spells are in the Heroes games (I can't remember if they get any better in the later installments but they sure as poo poo aren't useful outside of heroes with that specialty in 3) in comparison to the cold spells or air spells.

Or Earth with Town Portal, Implosion and Slow (Mass Slow with expert Earth in Heroes 3), just to name a few.

Implosion's the best single target spell by far, Mass Slow effectively gives your own units Mass Haste as well and Town Portal is just the most ridiculous game breaker.

a ritard
Jul 31, 2014

by XyloJW
this thread got me to pick up heroes3&4 off amazon.

i def like the different spell schools in heroes3, each having some strong points and weak points.

earth def strongest at high levels, and expert slow being a great spell all around except against powerful ranged stacks (not quite as good as haste, because you can't get your troops to them as quickly)

air has lightning bolt and uh... haste (which isn't as good as slow), chain lightning, fly, and dimension door (air is probably my least fav)

water is probably best with the low-level spells. bless and cure are so nice to have. a good dispel magic and cold ring are also nice... high-level spells not so much. resurrect true can make a strong hero nigh unstoppable.

fire is def for the casters - fireball, incinerate, armageddon, anti-magic (i think) doing buttloads of damage is def nice for smaller battles. large-radius berserk in big battles is an absolute must. funny my play of 'fall of steadwick' i had a caster with expert fire/earth who rolled in with 3 stacks of five black dragons and the helm of heavenly enlightenment (+6 all stats) and orb of annihilation (+50% fire spell damage), giving an armageddon spell damage upwards of 2000. i think probably the most op army i've ever seen in the game.

a ritard fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 3, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget the berserk spell for fire. At expert level it's a 19 hexes area of effect that causes about half of the enemy stacks to attack each other. So much fun.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

a ritard posted:

this thread got me to pick up heroes3&4 off amazon.

i def like the different spell schools in heroes3, each having some strong points and weak points.

earth def strongest at high levels, and expert slow being a great spell all around except against powerful ranged stacks (not quite as good as haste, because you can't get your troops to them as quickly)

air has lightning bolt and uh... haste (which isn't as good as slow), chain lightning, fly, and dimension door (air is probably my least fav)

water is probably best with the low-level spells. bless and cure are so nice to have. a good dispel magic and cold ring are also nice... high-level spells not so much. resurrect true can make a strong hero nigh unstoppable.

fire is def for the casters - fireball, incinerate, armageddon, anti-magic (i think) doing buttloads of damage is def nice for smaller battles. large-radius berserk in big battles is an absolute must. funny my play of 'fall of steadwick' i had a caster with expert fire/earth who rolled in with 3 stacks of five black dragons and the helm of heavenly enlightenment (+6 all stats) and orb of annihilation (+50% fire spell damage), giving an armageddon spell damage upwards of 2000. i think probably the most op army i've ever seen in the game.

You are forgetting several key buffs that are higher up in the spell lists that with Expert magics, you can buff an entire army and cause a rediculous amount of damage. To kill nasty big things, you could cast slayer within fire, Air has counterattack (so you can keep attacking), Earth has goddamn resurrection, and water has one of the best buff spells in the entire game (and why one hero in particular is basically the best one in the entire cleric line up) and that is Prayer. Buffs to speed, morale, and luck? Yes please.

And earth has the best single target spell in the game for removing stacks, IMPLOSION. If someone has some giant hell stack, just implode it and it either kills it or sees significant reduction in its numbers. All the spells areas in HoMM3 have some great army wide buffs. You just gotta keep playing with them to figure out some of the neat tricks you can do.

With heroes 4, max out summoning and you can get some absurd things happening like a hero that runs around with no troops and just summons everything in the game to fight for him. Armies just slow me down man!

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Yea buffs with expert magic an get silly, Expert Prayer buffs the offense, defense, and speed of your entire army by 4, for comparison expert haste which only boosts speed is +5. Combined with Expert Bless for above maximum damage on all your units and clone to copy your hardest hitting unit and expert water magic can a massive force multiplier.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

let's be honest though you have to hope you get those spells and a hero with that magical school. Yes it can be done but it's not something you have right off the bat and it is also not something that you may attain by the end of the match. Hell in the HoMM3 multiplayer LP I remember those matches didn't last long enough for anything to actually get that far.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

With heroes 4, max out summoning and you can get some absurd things happening like a hero that runs around with no troops and just summons everything in the game to fight for him. Armies just slow me down man!
Don't forget to combine Nature and Death magic to unlock the summon demon spells and of course the sweet Demonologist class and its +50% bonus to them.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Aces High posted:

let's be honest though you have to hope you get those spells and a hero with that magical school. Yes it can be done but it's not something you have right off the bat and it is also not something that you may attain by the end of the match. Hell in the HoMM3 multiplayer LP I remember those matches didn't last long enough for anything to actually get that far.

The best counter to a 30 Spell Power 30 Knowledge hero with Expert in six magic skills is week 1 Behemoths.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013

Aces High posted:

Here are the differences between Resurrection and Animate Dead in Heroes 3:

Animate Dead:
Earth Magic Level 3.
Can only be used on Undead
Permanent.
Animates slightly less hp than resurrection at Basic and Advanced.

Resurrection:
Earth Magic Level 4.
Can be used only on living creatures (No undead, golems, or gargoyles)
Temporary/Permanent with Advanced Earth Magic +

Loving the Heroes II LP so far. I think that the earlier heroes games are the better ones, especially with all the stupid decisions Ubisoft's made.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Roland Scenario 2: "Annexation"

After our last victory, Roland sends us his congratulations.

Well done! Our initial move is an unqualified success. Unfortunately, we have no time to celebrate. The remainder of the local nobility is less than pleased with our recent military victories and have organized their defenses against us. It is up to you to put down their rebellion, but I will need the forces you raised in your previous mission to secure that region properly. Once again, I needn't remind you of the seriousness of your mission... we must win in order to secure the taxes necessary to finance the war against Archibald. I am giving you the last of my gold to raise the armies you will need to force their surrender.

We are returned to the campaign screen, which warns us that these lords are wealthier and more powerful than before. Unlike the last mission, they are all allied against us! We have a choice of playing as the Wizard, Sorceress or Knight. We'll go with Wizard again this time, as they're probably my favorite Good faction.

We start out in a small town at the center of the map. Our first hero is Mandigal the Wizard, but we spot Wilfrey (now back to Level 1) available for hire in town. After his help in the first mission, we decide to make him our primary hero this time.

Mandigal sends off his forces to join up with Wilfrey. Wilfrey's Genies are a quite powerful neutral unit, and we start the mission with 4 of them for free. It'd be possible to use these to overpower an opponent's early game force, but I decide to play it safe and do some exploring instead.

Wilfrey takes the ore mine and sets a path for some unguarded resources. He hasn't gone far this turn--halflings are quite slow and bog down a hero's overland speed, and the swamp terrain slows his movement down even more.

Pinehurst isn't quite as vacant as Corackston was at the beginning of the last map, but we still have a lot of building to do.

We saw last time that Rocs are a sturdy flying attacker, so we'll build a nest to attract them.

Back on the overland map, we send Mandigal over to check out the Gazebo upriver.

No one can help you. You must face the Gazebo alone.

Scouting helps you reveal unexplored tiles from further away on the overland map. Not normally useful, but we don't plan to besiege any castles with Mandigal's one-halfling-army so Ballistics won't be very important. Scouting it is!

Our starter resources are dwindling a little bit, but we can afford to build a dwelling for Mages. Archmagi were pretty much our MVP last time, so it'll be well worth it.

Mandigal nabs a treasure chest up the river.

Shooters are among the most dangerous neutral enemies to take on, since they can almost always inflict some casualties. The artifact they're guarding isn't super useful to us either: it boosts elemental summoning spells, but we don't have anything like that in our spellbook yet. Probably we shouldn't bother with this fight.

Just kidding. YOLO

Yeah, this was probably a bad idea. We'll make the best of it by putting Curse on the biggest stack to reduce the amount of punishment we're about to take.

We send our Genies straight into the fray. Moving and attacking at the position of our cursor, a sword, will kill one stack of Rangers and force a second one into melee range.

The Halflings are quickly focused down by the rangers.

The Rangers nearest the Genie try to shank the mystical being, and are killed immediately in response.

The Boars cross the field to block the top Rangers from using their ranged attacks. Meanwhile, our Genies go over to crush the Rangers at the bottom.

The rest is just cleanup.

We did it! Our Halflings paid dearly, though, and the experience reward wasn't too impressive.

We also get the Book of Elements. If we ever learn to summon Elementals this will be quite useful since we'll get twice as many out of each summon, but until then this book won't do us much good.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

dhamster posted:

No one can help you. You must face the Gazebo alone.

I cast fireball at it :cool:

I don't know why but I have always found taking Sorceress to be the faster way of accomplishing this map. Really if you're good you will find a way to win regardless but for some reason I just always found it easier. The same does not go for Archibald's map 2

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Aces High posted:

I don't know why but I have always found taking Sorceress to be the faster way of accomplishing this map. Really if you're good you will find a way to win regardless but for some reason I just always found it easier. The same does not go for Archibald's map 2

If the manual is any indication, it was NWC's intention to balance some factions based on how long the game goes on. Knight and Barbarian can be better in the early game and others (Wizard, Warlock) to take off in the late game. Of course, that's a moot point if you play Knight and capture a nearby Wizard castle before they can really get going.

Sorceress and Necromancer fall more towards the midgame. Elves and Great Druids are pretty solid shooters, so I can see a player doing a blitzkrieg with a handful of shooters and the Genies you get to start. My own strategy was... less efficient.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

as far as I'm concerned the Knight is the most hamstrung of all the factions. You can't build your higher tier creature dwellings without first purchasing kind of pointless buildings and your starting creatures for your heroes are some of the slowest and most fragile in the game. By the end of your first week you can have Rangers and Veteran Pikemen, sure but you won't have those creatures in your armies before that point either so your heroes are kind of in trouble for their first few encounters, doubly so since Knight is a might faction so none of the heroes start with a spellbook.

That and Knights don't have any fliers and don't get Very Fast units until their high tier units, compared to the other factions that either give you Very Fast units off the top or they give you durable creatures that won't get knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

as far as I'm concerned the Knight is the most hamstrung of all the factions. You can't build your higher tier creature dwellings without first purchasing kind of pointless buildings and your starting creatures for your heroes are some of the slowest and most fragile in the game. By the end of your first week you can have Rangers and Veteran Pikemen, sure but you won't have those creatures in your armies before that point either so your heroes are kind of in trouble for their first few encounters, doubly so since Knight is a might faction so none of the heroes start with a spellbook.

That and Knights don't have any fliers and don't get Very Fast units until their high tier units, compared to the other factions that either give you Very Fast units off the top or they give you durable creatures that won't get knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Yeah, it's ironic that the faction that should be best in quick/small maps is hampered by silly building requirements. While all of their units (except peasants) can become solid thanks to upgrades fixing their biggest problem (speed) it still takes to long for them to reach it. Despite this I always liked the Heroes2 knight town, I like the colour blue. :iamafag:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Knights do have early access to archers, which can last you well until better units start accumulating, if you split them up in three stacks instead of just one.

Anything that flies will still spell doom for you, obviously.

E:

Knights do have one of the biggest pleasures in Heroes 2, namely seeing an army of Crusaders going to town on a Necromancer's units, dealing 4 times their sheet damage!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Roland Scenario 2: "Annexation" (Part 2)

We construct a statue in memory of our lost halflings (and to draw attention away from the fact that it's been like two weeks since I've posted an update)

Wilfrey finds a magical shrine along the road.

The acolytes teach him Bless, which allows a stack of units to attack at their maximum damage.

Sulfur and gemstones are sitting in piles on this stretch of road for some reason. Wilfrey's army carries them off and chases the nearby Goblins away.

Meanwhile, Pinehurst has been hard at work developing its recruitment dwellings (though our Mage Guild hasn't been seeing a whole lot of love).

Mandigal and his trusty halfling guide explore the area to the west, where even more resources are lying around unclaimed.

Mandigal grabs what he can and gets ready to scout in another direction. There is some unexplored territory directly to the south, but an enemy would have to cut through the neutral rangers if they wanted to get to our unprotected scout. Not like that would ever happen.

The battle was over before it began. The Knight charges out of the fog of war at Mandigal and slays his halfling companion.

Enraged at the loss of his only friend, Mandigal takes to social media and lets loose a flurry of contentious tweets critical of the war in Enroth, drawing the ire of many of Roland's most wealthy vassals. Roland caves to the pressure and elects not to renew Mandigal's hero contract, to the dismay of the other Wizard heroes.*

Wilfrey decides that the desire to avenge his colleague's defeat outweighs his anger at the Roland administration over the Mandigal affair and he rides out to crush the Knight that ambushed Mandigal.

The Genies make their stance on magical academic freedom known by killing 18 archers in one strike.

The Archmagi decide to express disapproval for Roland's decision by disintegrating over 50 peasants with magic spells. The enemy pikemen, blinded by apathy, do nothing.

With the Archers stuck in melee range and the pikemen blinded, the remainder of the battle is a walk in the park.

With Mandigal gone, we are in need of a replacement. Out of the heroes waiting to be hired in the Tavern, we decide that Dawn is the better pick.

A novice Wizard, she leads a small force of Boars and Halflings. She is a bit lower level than Mandigal was, but for now she will be just fine at his old job transporting troops, scouting and collecting resources.

*Well, what really happened is that heroes will abandon your cause after losing in combat. This can usually be circumvented by retreating but the Knight cast his spell before I could run away.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I see ruins. Are you going to get medusas? :kiddo: Despite being bad units I always loved the neutral units. Probably a case of the grass being greener on the other side. :shrug:

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

As an HoMM-obsessed teenager, I had actually thought and written about it years ago. You can insert whichever smilies you deem appropriate into the following when reading it:

quote:

People often mention "chaotic unit upgrades" as one of the interesting features of H2. But when I actually put my thought to it a few years ago, I realized there is definitely a logic (other than that of game balance) behind H2's choice of unit upgrades.

First of all, there are two obvious exceptions:

1) Lv1 creatures don't have upgrades;
2) (Living) dragons are special and have 2 upgrades.

With the two exceptions aside, now look at which creatures get upgrades and which doesn't, and you'll realize that, with the exception of cyclopes:

upgradeable creatures = humanoids
non-upgradeable creatures = non-humanoids

What this may mean:
1) Compared to animals and mythical beasts, a humanoid race is born weak, yet has greater capacity to learn, adapt and improve themselves, i.e. the difference between player characters and NPC monsters in an RPG.

Example: veteran pikeman, master swordsman

2) The humanoid races have more organized society and stricter hierarchy compared to non-humonoid races. After all, the names of several upgraded creatures indicate political power. A unicorn or phoenix might be even wiser than a humanoid, yet has no need for kings and nobles.

Example: orc chieftain, dwarf king

3) Golems and zombies are magical creations without sentience. The methods for their creation may be improved, resulting in upgrades. Bone dragons not having an upgrade can be explained as they are an experimental weapon and much more difficult to improve (built from a Laboratory).

Now the only remaining case is cyclops, and several explanations can be easily made. Perhaps they are like Polyphemus, too simple-minded and/or live in solitude to even have society; or perhaps they are like the mythical forgers of lightning bolts, a proud and independent group.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so I guess the mummies and royal mummies, and the vampire and vampire lords have more to do with the person before they were mummified/vamped? I can definitely see that.

Also Darth TNT posted the stats for the Genies for Heroes 1 in his thread and they are largely unchanged for Heroes 2 but I kinda wonder if they changed the % rate for their halving attack to proc. It always feels like they halve a stack more than 10% of the time, making them a lot more formidable and useful, as far as neutral units go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I liked your joke about twitter and hired people. Mostly cause I hate twitter

• Locked thread