Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
USC wants their version of a Michigan Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

USC wants their version of a Michigan Man

So they want the best possible candidate to wear a hat two sizes too small, eat grass, and never, ever come save their program?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Orgeron wasn't part of the Carroll coaching tree and as such I don't think he ever had a real shot at the job

What? Yeah he was. He started at USC as DL coach under Hackett, but Carroll kept him on and eventually also named him the recruiting coordinator and assistant head coach. He was a huge part of the great mid-00s run they had.

He didn't get seriously considered for the job because he was a massive failure as a head coach at Ole Miss. It was a cute story when he started taking the USC players out to ice cream and poo poo after he got the interim job and they got better, but 5 games isn't a big enough sample to go off of, at least not for a program at USC. Sark wasn't great at Washington but he has a way better track record as a head coach than Orgeron.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 3, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/9/3/6101809/bowling-green-qb-matt-johnson-out-for-season

god

damnit

:suicide:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Oh whoops

Anyways yeah they probably should have at least called Chris Petersen to see if he'd maybe consider leaving his job

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Oh whoops

Anyways yeah they probably should have at least called Chris Petersen to see if he'd maybe consider leaving his job

to my knowledge they did, but he's not a big spotlight guy, and I think at the time his kid was still being treated in Idaho.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Former BYU QB gets arrested ne'er-do-welling
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24691869/former-cards-qb-max-hall-charged-with-possession-of-stolen-items

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Greg McElroy owns for the reasons listed previously, AND he refuses to be a homer. Which drives the Updyke wing of our fan base into a frenzy. Watching him take on the twitter gumps is like watching a master swordsman take on the lightsaber video kid.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

gently caress. There goes our season.
BUT WAIT! It gets better!

William Houston (our RB) has been charged with attempted rape.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god fuckin dammit Bowling Green

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
For the most part, the coverage on SECN has been better than I expected. I really thought some of these former players would be absolutely painful to watch.

McElroy also has pretty awesome TV hair. I enjoyed watching him and Booger this past weekend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

momtartin posted:

gently caress. There goes our season.
BUT WAIT! It gets better!

William Houston (our RB) has been charged with attempted rape.

Yeah he was suspended from the team over the summer and I think he's been kicked out of the school.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

If you need a reminder why you should never read Power Rankings, CNNSI has Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma and FSU ranked ahead of UGA right now.

I hate UGA, but that team looks scary good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LeeMajors posted:

If you need a reminder why you should never read Power Rankings, CNNSI has Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma and FSU ranked ahead of UGA right now.

Nah they just know how UGA operates. Give it a few weeks.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LeeMajors posted:

Still ample time to implode.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Georgia looked good week 1, but I really feel like everyone needs to calm down and quit overreacting because 1 week does not the best team in the country make.

every
Apr 24, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

It's only been one game. South Carolina will fix things. I'd still put SC as a slight favorite.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Quandary posted:

Georgia looked good week 1, but I really feel like everyone needs to calm down and quit overreacting because 1 week does not the best team in the country make.

Yeah, doing something once (good or bad) can be a fluke. Do it twice and people take notice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I know it's a long season and maybe I'm used to UGA being underwhelming early-on--but that team looked sharp and in mid-season form.

I'd love for Muschamp to get a little revenge on them later on :black101:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If nothing else, Gurley looks obscenely good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Emron posted:

If nothing else, Gurley looks obscenely good.

Life would've been different in the SEC had he been healthy his entire career.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Georgia or A&M probably had the best week 1 but it depends on what you want from the power rankings. If you're just going off what they've done so far then sure, but if you're looking ahead I don't really have an issue with sticking to your preseason projections this year. It's just one game. Lots of teams have one bad game, especially early when they're breaking in new starters and stuff. I seriously doubt a Saban secondary is going to be as bad as Alabama's was on Saturday, and Winston likely won't play that poorly most weeks either.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If UGA stays healthy, they should win the East pretty handily.

I'll be up near Clemson this weekend, might pop in to check out the SC State game in person. Dabo had a pretty great press conference yesterday... Someone asked him about looking ahead to FSU and he wouldn't have any of it. He said that SC State is what's on everyone's mind. To him, every game is a big game, and if you don't think so, try standing behind this podium after losing one.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I seriously doubt a Saban secondary is going to be as bad as Alabama's was on Saturday, and Winston likely won't play that poorly most weeks either.

I agree with you on principle, but thats the kind of poo poo people started saying when USC started dropping clunkers. They were good for so long that when they faltered it was unimaginable that it would continue.

I don't think Saban will keep Bama a top-3 team forever. He's recruited well and been so incredibly lucky with attrition and injuries that it is possible he will have some bad seasons.

Maybe that is wishful thinking.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's definitely possible they could fall off, I just want a way bigger sample than 1 game before I say it happened.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Maybe Kiffin will be the catalyst of another program implosion. Maybe that's his true gift to us all.

every
Apr 24, 2008

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

Go through the last few years of this thing. Only once since 2007 has Alabama not had the #1 overall class, and it was #5 that year.

That is why they're consistently elite.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Quandary posted:

A couple years ago, we beat Georgia in Week 2 and absolutely wrecked them, start to finish. We looked amazing and invincible and a lock to win the East. Then we shat the bed later in the season and Georgia won the division anyway.

You just never know this early into it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

Maybe Kiffin will be the catalyst of another program implosion. Maybe that's his true gift to us all.

If it happens, rest assured that there will be a camera on him 100% of the way.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

does Georgia still have the wraith of a Civil War-era general playing quarterback?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlSaJl1upg FSU - Okie State game edited to be about ~19 minutes.

-- Our center is real bad: At 7:50, he gets pushed back and beaten so bad he actually collapses the left side of our entire line single handedly.

-- Jameis missed a BUNCH of reads and looked nervous in a game for once: There were more than a couple times WR Travis Rudolph got totally free or a RB (usually Williams) came out of the backfield with no defender on them and Jameis was so focused on getting the ball to WR Rashad Greene, including that interception just before the half. He didn't play badly, he seemed to just be average this game

-- It didn't look it the first time, however the defense played really well for most of the game. The first quarter was lights out, but the tempo really took its toll in the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth. Our DL rotation isn't set and by the sounds of the mumblings right now, we're going to be without two starting defenders for at least half the season. The play calls weren't bad.

-- I've been excited for him for a while, so I'm glad to see RB Mario Pender doing well. His step-brother was shot in front of him just before the season over some shoes but he's doing well now. Pender's a great story and that he's making it out of bad circumstances seemingly is a great thing.

We didn't play great. Okie State came prepared and didn't die for us, but there's not much to be incredibly pessimistic about

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 3, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Welcome back, This Week In Schadenfreude.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

Nick Saban retiring and Kiffin taking over Alabama would be a gift from the college football gods.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Kiffin is like the League of Shadows. Every time a civilization team grows too powerful and corrupt, the league sends in its agents to restore balance.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Emron posted:

He's a really smart dude, and this is probably a better career path for him than permanent bench warmer, tbh

have we already forgotton RHODES SCHOLAR UNDEFEATED PEEWEE FOOTBALL GPA NEVER LOSES Greg McElroy

Mahoning posted:

Nick Saban retiring and Kiffin taking over Alabama would be a gift from the college football gods.

worth it

Kinda want to frame that Nebraska quote on my wall

Scionix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 3, 2014

mmmjstone
Sep 22, 2004

titty whiskey

vikingstrike posted:

I figured Alabama is keeping him around to fire if they have a bad season, blaming all of it on him.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

mmmjstone posted:

I figured Alabama is keeping him around to fire if they have a bad season, blaming all of it on him.

If that leads to us kicking him off the bus at Birmingham International Airport, then I'm down.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

:stare:

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Breaky posted:

Nah they just know how UGA operates. Give it a few weeks.

Nothing hurts worse than the truth. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

No see it's a sign of respect and totally not offensive because

• Locked thread