Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Cleatus got me thinking, will we see an all robot NFL in our lifetime? Considering how technology is advancing at such an exponential rate combined with how quickly the NFL is becoming pussified it might just happen. And yes, I know electric football all ready exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

swickles posted:

Yeah, exogenous HGH administration isn't like insulin where is possible to detect natural from non-natural sources. At least to my knowledge it isn't. So it would suck for a guy to get banned over an over-active pituitary gland, or even small tumor. So even if the NFLPA bows to this, its going to take years and a leap in medical science to prove definitively.

The more I think about this, there might be a way to correlate ILGF (insulin like growth factors) with natural HGH secretion so maybe there is a way, but again we are far off.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Cleatus got me thinking, will we see an all robot NFL in our lifetime? Considering how technology is advancing at such an exponential rate combined with how quickly the NFL is becoming pussified it might just happen. And yes, I know electric football all ready exists.
Lord willing...

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

swickles posted:

The more I think about this, there might be a way to correlate ILGF (insulin like growth factors) with natural HGH secretion so maybe there is a way, but again we are far off.

What do you mean by "correlate", exactly? Like establish a general baseline for blood levels of IGF in the presence of normal, endogenous HGH levels, and then use that to determine if someone's IGF level is too low for the amount of HGH present (that is, if the amount of HGH their tests showed was entirely endogenous, they'd have much higher IGF levels, and so their low IGF level is a signal that some HGH is exogenous)?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Well, one of the things that natural HGH does is stimulate the production of ILGF in the body. I am wondering (from a purely academic viewpoint) if exogenous HGH does the same thing, or to the same extent as natural HGH secretion. So basically yes. With insulin you can analyze the blood and determine whether the insulin came from the human body, or if it was an exogenous administration. I am wondering if you can do the same with HGH. Right now the answer is no, but more research has to be done. Also, its important to note that the average human doesn't spend their whole life trying to get bigger and stronger, which is why you have to look at the NFL population and not the general one. Its a whole mess and requires a lot of research before I am comfortable saying that some dude is doping.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

gently caress that I want an all beer NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_c1lKJMS2o

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Is there a worthwhile argument why steroids should be illegal in professional sports? Even in MMA, the most legitimate argument I have seen is that you could have a larger chance of "seriously harming your opponent" which is the point of MMA in the first place. Everything you consume affects your mind and body in some way, some things just do it more effectively than others.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Is there a worthwhile argument why steroids should be illegal in professional sports? Even in MMA, the most legitimate argument I have seen is that you could have a larger chance of "seriously harming your opponent" which is the point of MMA in the first place. Everything you consume affects your mind and body in some way, some things just do it more effectively than others.

They can't publicly condone athletes using illegal drugs.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Volkerball posted:

They can't publicly condone athletes using illegal drugs.

Condoning something accepts that it is morally wrong, though.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Also everyone being bigger, stronger, and faster increases the risk of serious injury dramatically in a sport like football and could lead to the death of the game due to lack of participation starting at the youth level and moving up.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Butthead posted:

Also everyone being bigger, stronger, and faster increases the risk of serious injury dramatically in a sport like football and could lead to the death of the game due to lack of participation starting at the youth level and moving up.

If I had a lot of money invested in the NFL this could be a factor to me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

This is like the only time that "think of the children!" holds some weight because loving around with hormones (which to some extent all true PED's do) can cause some debilitating effects in juveniles. Its not just the idol worship that causes it, but also desire to be the next big thing coming out of high school. It really is a systemic issue, and I can get behind the ban of PED's, only because the trickle down effect to high school students and such trying to get a scholarship can lead to some poor consequences.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As people we set arbitrary limitations on morality and fairness. That's just how it is

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

swickles posted:

This is like the only time that "think of the children!" holds some weight because loving around with hormones (which to some extent all true PED's do) can cause some debilitating effects in juveniles. Its not just the idol worship that causes it, but also desire to be the next big thing coming out of high school. It really is a systemic issue, and I can get behind the ban of PED's, only because the trickle down effect to high school students and such trying to get a scholarship can lead to some poor consequences.

Realistically all this leads to is people learning how to cycle better at a younger age, as far back as middleschool I can remember people using steroids to gain an advantage. I'm not saying its a healthy choice, but if you are going to consider ANY sport as a career path it's something you are going to have to confront at an early age.

The real underlying question is "Why should steroids lead to poor consequences that aren't a direct result of steroids affects to the human body?"

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Intruder posted:

As people we set arbitrary limitations on morality and fairness. That's just how it is

Limitations that are retarded get adjusted through out time as people get more educated.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Realistically all this leads to is people learning how to cycle better at a younger age

As opposed to basically encouraging PED use, which

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm working a double shift tomorrow and going to miss some boring rear end game between two shitlord NFC teams that I don't give a gently caress about.

I wish it was Monday

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wish it was 3 days after Christmas so I could watch Peyton curbstomp the Raiders garbage secondary and drink away my sorrows with that guy from blitz' avatar.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I guess this depends on how far you are willing to take the slippery slope argument without blaming parents, if I'm correctly interpreting your intentionally vague post.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

I guess this depends on how far you are willing to take the slippery slope argument without blaming parents, if I'm correctly interpreting your intentionally vague post.

Why blame parents when people are responsible for themselves? Blame the person.

Or we can blame the industry for rewarding people who become better by using PEDs. After all, people wouldn't use them if not for the money and fame that comes with being the best.

Or we can blame advertisers for shelling out ridiculous amounts of money to support these industries and further promote the fame of athletes. Without advertisers, income falls flat.

In reality, we should blame ourselves for keeping our eyes and ears glued to the TV. Without our attention, this chain reaction would not exist. We are the root cause.

e: Let's go another step further. Let's blame the emptiness of meaning in life; the fact that every single action is mundane and trivial due to the overwhelming pointlessness in everything that exists. For if not for this repetitive boredom caused by exercising the same vacuous activities that lack a supreme purposes day after day, we would not find necessity in distracting our minds with false realities on TV.

Butthead fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 4, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

My point is that yes, you're always going to have the issue of kids who are far to young messing with things they shouldn't, but you're going to have less doing that if the standpoint is "it's wrong, it's illegal, it will gently caress up your little kid body, don't do it" than if your standpoint is "it's wrong and probably bad or w/e, but not so bad that we'd like, punish you or anything over it."

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Late to the party but you guys post when I sleep :(.
There are biomechanicals risk factors for knee injuries, I don't know how relevant they are to a sport that is so highly traumatic though. It's pretty easy to be right when predicting that someone is gonna get hurt in such a sport, regardless of how they stand. As far as after an injury, this shouldn't be a problem with the high level of recovery equipement / physical therapy avalaible to the teams (like that awesome mini-pool I saw on hard knocks).

As far as muscular chains are concerned, researches are progressing rapidely as the study of fascia is hip as gently caress right now. Almost all of the physiological / pathological concepts of muscular chains are derived from a french one from the late 40's and they are not very good.
To try and make it simple, most concepts out there describe really precise sequences of muscles linked together by conjonctive tissues. The only problem is that a lot of that conjonctive tissue is fascia which is basically a sheet that cover your whole body just over the muscles, so you can't really tell anything from that, it's just everywhere, and dissipate strain everywhere. There may be some functional zones in there that are more important than others and they may be related to myofascial trigger points.
The only decent book on the actual anatomy of the thing is comming out in december by one of the leader in the field.

Basically as a whole, biomechanics is good at predicting performance (ie: someone that runs really fast should run like this), not so good as predicting pain/injuries. it's just one of many factors. There are people with perfect posture who get hurt and people with lovely posture who don't.

Source: just got my degree in biomechanics applied to osteopathy with a thesis on myofascial force transmission.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Volkerball posted:

My point is that yes, you're always going to have the issue of kids who are far to young messing with things they shouldn't, but you're going to have less doing that if the standpoint is "it's wrong, it's illegal, it will gently caress up your little kid body, don't do it" than if your standpoint is "it's wrong and probably bad or w/e, but not so bad that we'd like, punish you or anything over it."

as much as agreeing with waffle beard makes me hate myself, the latter approach actually does work better than the former when it comes to drugs. see: portuguese legalization efforts, and most other instances of prohibition

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Some French Guy posted:

Source: just got my degree in biomechanics applied to osteopathy with a thesis on myofascial force transmission.

Congrats and all, but gently caress that poo poo, which team(oakland) did you choose(raiders)?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Volkerball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTy_gLF8zR0

Steroids!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

lmao u don't recognize manufactured pop princess #7262?!! Lollll hey guys lookit this neanderthal am I rite?!!!

Now what if everyone who sang the snf theme was on PEDs?! Really makes u think

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So loving psyched for actual football tonight!

Also let the Seahawks win so I can get me some Madden MUT buxx.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003

warcrimes posted:

Congrats and all, but gently caress that poo poo, which team(oakland) did you choose(raiders)?

Hard Knocks kinda made me care about the falcons to be honest. I didn't think they were as bland as everyone seem to have.

To care you must know some players and that is hard to do when you can't recognize anyone on the field and there are 53 of them.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Ughhhhhh... I'm waiting for my house to be recabled and won't have internet until Tuesday next week, going to miss the Bills' spectacular failure.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

wheez the roux posted:

as much as agreeing with waffle beard makes me hate myself, the latter approach actually does work better than the former when it comes to drugs. see: portuguese legalization efforts, and most other instances of prohibition

Legalization and harm reduction for recreational drugs is a bit different than implicitly letting kids know that PEDs at a young age is the only way to a career/college scholarship

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The problem with robotic AI players is how do you create an offensive robot that can score on a defensive robot, since theoreticaly they should both be perfect creations at their intended goals? Put 22 of them on the field and they would probably just sit there running algorithms against each other until the game ended in a tie or one conceded the loss to the other. If you would like more thoughts on the robot football league please just ask.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

The problem with robotic AI players is how do you create an offensive robot that can score on a defensive robot, since theoreticaly they should both be perfect creations at their intended goals? Put 22 of them on the field and they would probably just sit there running algorithms against each other until the game ended in a tie or one conceded the loss to the other. If you would like more thoughts on the robot football league please just ask.

That's nonsense. Robots can only be as perfect as humans make them so defects in the materials and manufacturing processes will lead to varying imperfections between individual robots.

e: News: Rookie Corey Linsley will start at center for the Packers tonight, in the Seahawks stadium.

Views: Seahawks fans, brag all you want about your stadium noise. Linsley played at Ohio State and faced the likes of raucous Penn State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin fans in away games. Ohio State won all of those games and Linsley did not have any penalties. He will not be the difference in the game tonight.

Butthead fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 4, 2014

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Bigass Moth posted:

gently caress that. Human-controlled robots. Robot Jox, motherfuckers.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Butthead posted:

That's nonsense. Robots can only be as perfect as humans make them so defects in the materials and manufacturing processes will lead to varying imperfections between individual robots.

e: News: Rookie Corey Linsley will start at center for the Packers tonight, in the Seahawks stadium.

Views: Seahawks fans, brag all you want about your stadium noise. Linsley played at Ohio State and faced the likes of raucous Penn State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin fans in away games. Ohio State won all of those games and Linsley did not have any penalties. He will not be the difference in the game tonight.

Yes, unlike all those other NFL linemen most of whom played at bumfuck state and have never seen a real crowd before. This lone Ohio State warrior alone will go forth unintimidated.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

davecrazy posted:

Yes, unlike all those other NFL linemen most of whom played at bumfuck state and have never seen a real crowd before. This lone Ohio State warrior alone will go forth unintimidated.

I'm just saying this is all way overblown by the media. He really isn't going to be a huge factor in the game. He will be less of a factor than Denver's center was in the Super Bowl. There is no reason to suspect he will suck other than he is a rookie, and not all rookies suck.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ChickenMedium posted:

Joe buck still does the games

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Joe buck still does the games

A robot commenting on robots.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ChickenMedium posted:

This is a twist I did not expect. Also, what if they programmed the robots to love? This may need more research.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
How do you propose we do this robot-love-research? :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

TG-Chrono posted:

Ughhhhhh... I'm waiting for my house to be recabled and won't have internet until Tuesday next week, going to miss the Bills' spectacular failure.

Sports bars dude. Or a friend's house. I don't have cable and I'm basically hanging out at a friend's house and drinking beer all day. He's got a new smoker and we're having ribs and wings this Sunday. I'm gonna roast some potatoes to go with it, and drink a six pack of Red Stripe.

Football is back and it owns

• Locked thread