Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Well I went and looked and frankly I don't see what davzz is seeing. They're adding two alternative icons for giant and giant spiked clubs.

Giant club (first is old only icon, others are new alternatives)

Giant spiked club (same)

The new icons obviously have the same size as the old ones? I guess the third giant club is a little more paddle-y while the original is basically an enormous drumstick, but it doesn't look wimpy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Badforums.txt posted:

8. Haste isn't worth it over stasis

12. the guaranteed starting shield tends to be a stronger choice than beginning with Trog.

22. You shouldn't put anything into weapon skills before XL10, and you should be sure to pick one by XL15. If you find something nice between those points, go for it. If you're XL15, you can't wait any longer and will need to settle for something FAST.

39. I promptly got assaulted by a herd of skeletal warriors backed up by Yaktaurs, so I moved toward them, taking a crap load of damage with each step. So I initiate teleport, then invoke rage

69. Besides which, any wise Troggie treats 'aa' as if it doesn't exist anyhow and just uses him for his other attributes.

70. If you need to use exponets, squares, and other complex equations then your system is poorly designed at its base. Do you really want professional mathamaticians as your only target audience?

76. Maybe it's a big part of why I don't win much, but I don't walk away from things once I've started fighting them more than once every ten games.

86. The sole reason I learnt dragon form is to spam sub.blood on myself: i.e. the +60% HP bonus. Of course I should only do this when I don't need to run away and am in no danger of being hit.

95. I propose that Cheibriados prevents you from speeding your weapon up through training weapon skill, so that all weapons act at maximum delay.

(There are 216 entries)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Badforums.txt posted:

2. I have NO problems with having challenge Races. However, It is a BIG mistake to have Ogres fill in that gap. (It is by far the worst design choice made by the devs for this game IMHO)
Hey!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

This was a little rambly.

A few tentative corrections: monsters do use weapon delay roughly like players do, from what I understand. It's just that they never have any weapon skill, and so always attack at the base delay of the weapon.

Do you happen to know how this applies to things like deep elf master archers, who practically seem to machine gun their drat bows? Is that just a special trait they have rather than an effective weapon skill?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Read posted:

[url=http://cowmuffins.net/badforum.txt]

(There are 216 entries)

Oh my god some of these guys have to be pulling our leg

quote:

167. Apportation is a curious spell. In a normal 3-rune game it is practically useless.

:wtc:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

quote:

If you need to use exponets, squares, and other complex equations then your system is poorly designed at its base. Do you really want professional mathamaticians as your only target audience?

All curves must be linear. Anything else is TOO COMPLEX and therefore bad.

badforums.txt is great. I believe I contributed #20 around 0.6 or 0.7.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 4, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Prism posted:

Do you happen to know how this applies to things like deep elf master archers, who practically seem to machine gun their drat bows? Is that just a special trait they have rather than an effective weapon skill?

archer[1/1]: Monsters with this flag (deep elf master archers, fauns, satyrs, merfolk javelineers, naga sharpshooters, and Vashnia) shoot point-blank, shoot more often, and add on average half their attack's base damage to their ranged to-hit and damage.

deep elf master archer (e) | Spd: 10 (msl: 50%) | HD: 15 | HP: 64-85 | AC/EV: 0/15 | Dam: 25 | weapons, items, doors, master archer | Res: magic(100) | XP: 2507 | Sz: Medium | Int: high.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Someone just code a loving anti-drain potion already

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Stoat posted:

Someone just code a loving anti-drain potion already

Scroll of Noise + Tab

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Read posted:

Scroll of Noise + Tab

Well played.

Gotta admit, I miss the brief period of time when potions of restore ability worked on draining as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure there's a badforums.txt written by me about how old draining was bullshit. In the end draining was still changed though!

Now change distortion.

VVV How do Felids get powerful in the lategame? They're not like octopodes where they start off fragile but have the potential of becoming absurd with proper gear. Felids always have less gear options than other races though.

I agree with you about Ogres being weird though, because they are genuinely strong later on.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 4, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The "challenge race" argument is getting kind of bizarre now that a number of races have really challenging gimmicks to them already. Formicids are a great species but their stasis gimmick requires a very different style of play. Same with Felids, which can't use basically any equipment and are crazy fragile. Trolls force the player to focus on the hunger clock much more than usual. All of them can get very powerful lategame, but their gimmicks represent both a challenge and a benefit the whole time. Except maybe Trolls but I mean, Trolls are stupid as gently caress and casting with them is always an adventure.

Ogres are really good lategame because their HP growth is absolutely bananas and their aptitudes aren't actually that bad. The issue with them is that their early defenses are wretched because their slots are restricted, their weapon affinity has probably the worst first-tier weapons, and it takes them a little while to get good success/spellpower on better spells, meaning that they tend to have an utterly miserable time getting started and then once that's over everything's hunky dory. The challenge in playing Ogres lies in not coming to hate the game before you get really far, not in any inherent tactical challenge. Mid- to lategame, their "challenge" ceases to be relevant because they've gained access to a dragon armour of some sort, are capable of using big loving tree trunks with non-suicidal delay, have a huge blob of hit points, and are raking in enough XP to crank up whatever spell schools they like while dumping Spellcasting for access to all sorts of good spells.

Ogres are honestly weird. They're not really a ~Challenge Race~ so much as a Fixer-Upper Race. I know I love to complain about them but they're honestly a pretty good species choice in the big picture; it's just that their early game seems unusually bad. The progression is frustratingly, pointlessly out of whack with them and I wish people would stop claiming it's because they're a :smug:challenge race:smug: because it's not, they're not a challenge race, they're just a race that has a mediocre start and then gets quite good after carefully grinding over that early hump.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 4, 2014

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

What's the best use of Ashenzari's transfer EXP power? I'm a melee character at XL16 headed into my two lair branches and I figure there's something I could do to make it easier, but I'm not sure what. I may be misunderstanding what it does...

Here's the char dump: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/DirkDiggler/DirkDiggler.txt

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of getting past early humps. Chei is really incredibly fun once you get past that godawful stage where you have the extra delay but don't have the delicious stat boosts. I'm close to ascending a melee/blasting hybrid MfIE and the massive stats are really incredibly. I have a huge EV score because of the dex, my spells hit like a truck because of the int and I can tear things up with my bardiche because of the str. The powers are really just icing on the cake at this point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
^I'll be honest, I use ash pretty often but I've never taken advantage of the skill swap. Maybe it's worth it to dump exp into some skill early/midgame, then when you get access to some spellschool you wanted put it in there? I don't know.

Read posted:

[url=http://cowmuffins.net/badforum.txt]

(There are 216 entries)
Things like this are always a nice confidence boost.

WereVolvo posted:

Gotta admit, I miss the brief period of time when potions of restore ability worked on draining as well.
Me too. :(
It made so much sense as well, I don't quite get why it didn't stay.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

The "challenge race" argument is getting kind of bizarre now that a number of races have really challenging gimmicks to them already. Formicids are a great species but their stasis gimmick requires a very different style of play. Same with Felids, which can't use basically any equipment and are crazy fragile. Trolls force the player to focus on the hunger clock much more than usual. All of them can get very powerful lategame, but their gimmicks represent both a challenge and a benefit the whole time. Except maybe Trolls but I mean, Trolls are stupid as gently caress and casting with them is always an adventure.

Ogres are really good lategame because their HP growth is absolutely bananas and their aptitudes aren't actually that bad. The issue with them is that their early defenses are wretched because their slots are restricted, their weapon affinity has probably the worst first-tier weapons, and it takes them a little while to get good success/spellpower on better spells, meaning that they tend to have an utterly miserable time getting started and then once that's over everything's hunky dory. The challenge in playing Ogres lies in not coming to hate the game before you get really far, not in any inherent tactical challenge. Mid- to lategame, their "challenge" ceases to be relevant because they've gained access to a dragon armour of some sort, are capable of using big loving tree trunks with non-suicidal delay, have a huge blob of hit points, and are raking in enough XP to crank up whatever spell schools they like while dumping Spellcasting for access to all sorts of good spells.

Ogres are honestly weird. They're not really a ~Challenge Race~ so much as a Fixer-Upper Race. I know I love to complain about them but they're honestly a pretty good species choice in the big picture; it's just that their early game seems unusually bad. The progression is frustratingly, pointlessly out of whack with them and I wish people would stop claiming it's because they're a :smug:challenge race:smug: because it's not, they're not a challenge race, they're just a race that has a mediocre start and then gets quite good after carefully grinding over that early hump.

Agreed, nerf ogres.

e: I do agree though, they're just a real pain in the arse to get through early game up to a point where you enjoy playing them. Lategame ogres are fantastic. I'm not sure how to fix the "Amazingly Un-Fun Early Game" aspect of ogres, though. Giving them some sort of fe-fi-fo-fum fearful shout thing which acts as a low-power scroll of fear but is really noisy and costs breath could be fun, and hilariously overpowered.

Actually forget that, some sort of fear-causing evocable that's massively noisy could be cool. Alpenhorn of Terror.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 4, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

scalded schlong posted:

Agreed, nerf ogres.

I don't like you. :mad:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

What's the best use of Ashenzari's transfer EXP power? I'm a melee character at XL16 headed into my two lair branches and I figure there's something I could do to make it easier, but I'm not sure what. I may be misunderstanding what it does...

Here's the char dump: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/DirkDiggler/DirkDiggler.txt
The only time I used reskill heavily was a DsFi. I started with long blades, claws started coming in, and then I found Wyrmbane.

Reskill is not something you plan on using, it is an enhancement to your ability to adapt to the dungeon.

Also, you can use a manual of any skill and reskill out of it for free experience!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Angry Diplomat posted:

To be fair, dragon armors used to be considerably less common, giant spiked clubs were not as good as they are now, and oh glorious weightless large rocks with throwing delay that goes under 1.0.
On one hand, I suck (which explains 800 dead ogres to one win), but there were plenty of times I could be certain I wasn't going to get a dragon armor till Vaults:5 or Zot. In fact, all maces sorta sucked, but they've all been buffed a bit. With all the changes, where they are now, I'd agree with you. I'm just a little annoyed by the disregard for everyone who ever claimed they were a challenge race.

I've felt for a long time (and rarely claimed) that what they really needed was an overhaul of the games other systems and they'd indirectly see there way to becoming something relevant, and thats why I stopped bringing up any 'buff ogres' arguments or feature requests like I did a few years ago. Now that 0.15 is out, I honestly can't think of any other gameplay systems that'll have a huge impact on them, unless someone decides to overhaul the stats system.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jeffrey posted:

This thing I saw was this, but who knows:

Ah, that's plausible, yeah.

(For an example of monster weapon delay in action, pay close attention when fighting an ogre.)

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV How do Felids get powerful in the lategame? They're not like octopodes where they start off fragile but have the potential of becoming absurd with proper gear. Felids always have less gear options than other races though.

They're a very close approximation to immortal. They can move fast, have enough hp that they almost never suffer from "die instantly syndrome", and, most importantly, they have multiple lives. In a roguelike.

Absurd!

Seriously, compare:

code:
6976/22599 games for * (recent xl>=18): N=6976/22599 (30.87%)
129/243 games for * (recent felid xl>=18): N=129/243 (53.09%)
It looks like the breakeven point is XL 7; if felids can get past there, they're vastly more likely to win than the average race. (Though, of course, put in the usual disclaimers about lazy statistical analysis...)

never forget

quote:

It's a Giant Spiked Club of Speed! I'm not using it because I'm deadly afraid of ditching my shield.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Now that 0.15 is out, I honestly can't think of any other gameplay systems that'll have a huge impact on them, unless someone decides to overhaul the stats system.
Exponential damage increase for particularly high values of strength which favors the big races.

Or is that too arbitary?

More advantages for being big in general... I would like to see a new race that's designed as an easy Large race, really. Somewhere around Minotaur power level.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

New for 0.16 - the Big Elf race makes an appearance.

e:

Urug :saddowns:

(against an EV of like 25)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Davzz posted:

Exponential damage increase for particularly high values of strength which favors the big races.

Or is that too arbitary?

More advantages for being big in general... I would like to see a new race that's designed as an easy Large race, really. Somewhere around Minotaur power level.

Doesn't troll kind of fit this bill? I mean it has it's own strange food thing but they are pretty simple as far as crawl races go. They don't have the crazy aptitudes of minotaurs but they have crazy damage instead.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

Doesn't troll kind of fit this bill? I mean it has it's own strange food thing but they are pretty simple as far as crawl races go. They don't have the crazy aptitudes of minotaurs but they have crazy damage instead.
Trolls sort of peter out after the early game in my opinion, compared to how invincible a Minotaur (and Gargoyles but Gargs are just nuts) can get.

They're not terrible and still average out to I think "medium" level difficulty through the course of a game. I think Trolls in the late-game need a bit of finesse to play though that might not seem obvious to newbies like still training up certain support spells with their terrible apts.

The only really "easy mode" Trolls would be Large Rock turrets.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Davzz posted:

Trolls sort of peter out after the early game in my opinion, compared to how invincible a Minotaur (and Gargoyles but Gargs are just nuts) can get.

They're not terrible and still average out to I think "medium" level difficulty through the course of a game. I think Trolls in the late-game need a bit of finesse to play though that might not seem obvious to newbies like still training up certain support spells with their terrible apts.

The only really "easy mode" Trolls would be Large Rock turrets.

Yeah they definitely fall off more than minotaurs due to aptitudes, but I think they are still very winnable by new players for 3 runes, the early game is the hardest part and they pretty much beat that for free once you know the enemy types.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is there any way to change your character's name? I always wish I could rename my draconians after they get their colored scales.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is there any way to change your character's name? I always wish I could rename my draconians after they get their colored scales.

Assuming you're talking offline, you'd probably have to edit the save-file. (Online, there's no way.)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The most depressing thing in the game I know of is going down to a branch that's too hard for you yet having a timed portal appear.
drat depths and its bazaar.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's when you read a magic mapping scroll, break out the rare invisibility potion you hopefully have kicking around somewhere nearby (or haste, blink and other options) and make your way quietly and swiftly to the portal.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Davzz posted:

Because of this, there's basically this effect where it's a bit of a gamble because you want to reach the point where your elite Orcs are so super buff by getting a lot of rank ups and blessings that it's unlikely they'll die barring freak occurrences like being hit by 2 crystal spears in a row or something. But before you reach that point, if you get unlucky like say, a bad terrain + bad monster spawn that leads your orcs to be unable to escape, then your investment is down the drain.

This effect can cause a bit of a "tumbling downhill" effect where the later you get in the game, the less likely you'll ever be able to train newbie orcs back up to a level where they'll survive late game monsters, especially since they use the same Monster AI as everything else, which is to run forward and melee the enemies even if they have spells and maybe only use their abilities sometimes.
So yeah, those are my Beogh thoughts.

I really enjoyed this post and read the whole thing. :downs:

For me, you really nailed the Beough issue with the "tumbling down" effect of losing endgame allies. More than any other type of character, Beough worshippers can go from being on autopilot to being in really bad shape in a hurry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

They're a very close approximation to immortal. They can move fast, have enough hp that they almost never suffer from "die instantly syndrome", and, most importantly, they have multiple lives. In a roguelike.

I suppose in the end that's my main problem with felids; I hate extra lives as their advantage because I'd rather just not die in the first place. They also just don't mesh with my preferred playstyle of hybrid fighter at all. Though now that I think about it I could probably get one off the ground as an ice elementalist since I'm guaranteed to have ozocubu's armour and condensation shield. It worked with octopodes and they have many of the same problems as felids prior to getting a bunch of rings.

The way I've really wanted to play a felid is as a Jiyva worshiper but her altar never spawns when you actually want it to.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

quote:

I promptly got assaulted by a herd of skeletal warriors backed up by Yaktaurs, so I moved toward them, taking a crap load of damage with each step. So I initiate teleport, then invoke rage

This should be the thread title, really.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is Strength still useless compared to other stats? Even for a fighter build?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You get strength to help mitigate wearing heavier armours (not that you need much for most species with Armour aptitude) and...that's it really.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I still recommend boosting dex and wearing armour appropriate to your strength, but if you really want to wear GDA I guess you better start boosting strength early (don't wear gda if you can help it)

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I just picked up Crawl a few weeks ago. I've been throwing wave after wave of Gargoyle Berserkers at it and now I have one that I think is going to win. First game I actually got a rune, then went on to (barely) survive V:5 and get three! Woo! I'm pretty sure Gargoyle Berserkers are the closest this game has to easy mode, though.

I have a question, I just found a shield with {rN+ Stlth++ Curse} on it. What does the "Curse" mean in this context - I assumed it would auto-curse, but it didn't? What does that mean in this context then?

So far this is my favorite thing from the game, after losing a really good run to a Stone Giant on Orc:4 - I didn't know going in how hard they hit. I could just sit and watch giants beat themselves up with reflected rocks all day.

quote:

The stone giant throws a large rock.
You reflect the large rock off your +5 shield of reflection!
The large rock hits the stone giant!!!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

kaschei posted:

(don't wear gda if you can help it)
Why?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't like it because it kills your EV and spell failure and the AC/resists often don't really make up for that.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

The investment is frequently more costly than the benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Blank spaces were gold, shield is +0 rC+, gloves are +0 dex.

Goodbye, wand of heal wounds. Real glad I found those three different sets of stones.

Shields on a draconian berserker - worth it? I'm wandering around with a +9 bastard sword of flaming, I was kinda hoping for claymores but Trog has been reticent.

• Locked thread