Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Subjunctive posted:

What do you have in mind?

(Edit: I'm genuinely interested here; I have a plan to spend some time making it as easy as possible for people to build good VR experiences, so I'm very interested in knowing what you think the hardest parts are right now.)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989
Already and continually talking about such hurdles in this thread, so you should just check it out.

TLDR: A lot. There's several games with support for the Rift right now, and only one of them I would consider is really at the level it needs to be.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They've already raised more than the entire Knock-Knock Kickstarter did. :psyduck: I wanted this one to succeed but I'm surprised at how quickly it's doing well - I figured it'd be more of a niche thing.

I think there are a lot of people who are really interested in playing that game who never had the time to put in the effort required to get a copy up and running. I know I'm in that camp.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah same. I really want to experience a not busted and hopefully playable in English build.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I know it's not a game, but I thought I'd mention [since it's almost finished up] that scifi anime OVA Under the Dog has just under three days left to go and are $47k from reaching their goal. If you pledge at the :20bux: level you also get the other episodes then plan to produce later on. The animation looks pretty slick, at least, though it's hard to say whether the story will actually be worth anything or not. I'm just hoping that its success lead to more anime making its way to Kickstarter.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2048202604/creepy-castle

This project seems like exactly the type of thing I would like to back if I had any money. Oh well I guess I can share it here.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BoredMarc posted:

This project seems like exactly the type of thing I would like to back if I had any money. Oh well I guess I can share it here.

That sounds fun and I hope it succeeds but I'm not going to back a project using CGA (or maybe EGA) level graphics like that. Pixel graphics, 8-bit-like stuff is one thing but this looks like 1990-era shareware. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BoredMarc posted:

This seems extremely well made for what it is but I have no desire to play it, probably because I have no affinity for that era of video games. Still $6k is nothing and I hope these guys the best.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BoredMarc posted:

$6000?

Pass.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
60K for pathologic!

I think they will make it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah, I have trouble imagining how $6,000 for a team of six people to make a game is going to end in anything other than tears.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah, I have trouble imagining how $6,000 for a team of six people to make a game is going to end in anything other than tears.

It seems low to me as well, but it looks like they're all just working for free anyway. A blurb in the text explains that the game's mechanics are fully implemented, and the first two scenarios are finished. Not completely sold, but it looks far more solid than most projects going for that amount.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

It seems low to me as well, but it looks like they're all just working for free anyway. A blurb in the text explains that the game's mechanics are fully implemented, and the first two scenarios are finished. Not completely sold, but it looks far more solid than most projects going for that amount.

Yeah it seems that they're hobbyists working on it part-time and the 6K is to cover various costs and raise some awareness, rather than pay wages + fees for a year.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

No Gravitas posted:

60K for pathologic!

I think they will make it.

Now at 70k, and even thought the first day rush is bound to die down I think it is a pretty good start, lets hope more gaming sites and magazines pick it up and announce it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

papasyhotcakes posted:

Now at 70k, and even thought the first day rush is bound to die down I think it is a pretty good start, lets hope more gaming sites and magazines pick it up and announce it.

Yeah. Especially as they've implied that adding in the the two characters they cut from the original game because of budget constraints are going to be stretch goals.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. Especially as they've implied that adding in the the two characters they cut from the original game because of budget constraints are going to be stretch goals.

brb upping my pledge right now if it means we will get the two cut characters.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989
Already and continually talking about such hurdles in this thread, so you should just check it out.

TLDR: A lot. There's several games with support for the Rift right now, and only one of them I would consider is really at the level it needs to be.

I dunno if this is one of the games you're talking about, but there's a Jet Set Radio Future meets Mirrors Edge game that supports the Rift. Having loved those games I hope it does really well, it met it's goal back in may.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/midgarstudio/hover-revolt-of-gamers

stille
Oct 9, 2012

papasyhotcakes posted:

Press-wise they had PC gamer, but Brian Fargo, Tim Schaefer and a bunch of artsy-video-games people tweeted about the project so that'll probably help.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Oh god, Pathlogic, this is the first one in about a year where I am totally in for splurging on physical gubbins, the thought "Hey, if I put off some of the house renovation I'm planning, I could totally afford the top tier" actually crossed my mind. :allears:

Also, there's a really good interview up about it on RPS

Illessa fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 4, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Probably a stupid question, but is there any concern that current and upcoming sanctions on Russian banks will impact their ability to actually receive the Pathologic money?

Also, this was at the bottom after I backed, don't recall seeing it linked here, seems likean artsy take on war games, and it's going to fund before the deadline in 2 days https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/602251016/the-sun-also-rises-a-different-kind-of-war-game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Illessa posted:

Oh god, Pathlogic, this is the first one in about a year where I am totally in for splurging on physical gubbins, the thought "Hey, if I put off some of the house renovation I'm planning, I could totally afford the top tier" actually crossed my mind. :allears:

Eh, don't insulate the stairs and use the cost savings.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Probably a stupid question, but is there any concern that current and upcoming sanctions on Russian banks will impact their ability to actually receive the Pathologic money?

They'll be fine.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So Hive Jump is on its final days and just passed funding a few hours ago. I have a feeling the whole kickstarter would have done a ton better if they released the alpha being shown at the trade shows and the Speed Runner Demo a ton sooner in the campaign.

Like in the last 3 days or so Hive Jump has been running a Speed Run Constant but really that should have been something in the first 10 days of the kickstater not the last three.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Yogventures just sent out a set of keys for SOE's Landmark, the $20 basic packs.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I knew abstractly that the Pathologic kickstarter was going to be a thing, but it really made my day to see it posted and looking like it's going to be very successful to boot. It's a drat shame that all the images in the goon LP of the bachelor scenario 404'ed, it was really well done and would have been a great way to introduce people to what a special game the original was.

also jesus the gigantic paintings :circlefap:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

No Mods No Masters posted:

I knew abstractly that the Pathologic kickstarter was going to be a thing, but it really made my day to see it posted and looking like it's going to be very successful to boot. It's a drat shame that all the images in the goon LP of the bachelor scenario 404'ed, it was really well done and would have been a great way to introduce people to what a special game the original was.
There's an LP for the Haruspex going on right now which people should check out if they're unfamiliar with the game. I would also suggest woodenchicken's Impostress/Changeling LP in the archives but that has a lot of spoilers for what's going on because you have to complete the game first to unlock her.

vvv

Got you covered.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 5, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

There's an LP for the Haruspex going on right now which people should check out if they're unfamiliar with the game. I would also suggest woodenchicken's Impostress/Changeling LP in the archives but that has a lot of spoilers for what's going on.

Links?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Correnth posted:

Full disclosure up front: I am writing and designing the adventure game "Norse Noir: Loki's Exile", currently on Kickstarter. In what is an incredibly blatant attempt to drum up traffic to said KS and our social media sites we decided to run a "follow & retweet" Twitter contest that has three prizes of in-game appearances (and one prize of a hand-painted backdrop from the game). I contacted the mod team before posting this because normally I wouldn't just come over here and shill, but the game is set loosely in the 1920s which gives us the legitimate excuse to put your goony rear end in a fedora if you win. Signups are really, really low, so your odds of winning as of right now are actually pretty drat good.

There's a full write-up and details in this update on our Kickstarter page, and note that backing the Kickstarter is NOT required. I just figured at least somebody around here would want to sign up for a chance to be immortalized as a neck-bearded Sinatra wannabe in a video game (or maybe a neck-bearded marilyn monroe if you're a girl goon, talk to me, we can work something out).

Going to toss some money at this since I know I can swing it. Best of luck!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Correnth posted:

Full disclosure up front: I am writing and designing the adventure game "Norse Noir: Loki's Exile", currently on Kickstarter. In what is an incredibly blatant attempt to drum up traffic to said KS and our social media sites we decided to run a "follow & retweet" Twitter contest that has three prizes of in-game appearances (and one prize of a hand-painted backdrop from the game). I contacted the mod team before posting this because normally I wouldn't just come over here and shill, but the game is set loosely in the 1920s which gives us the legitimate excuse to put your goony rear end in a fedora if you win. Signups are really, really low, so your odds of winning as of right now are actually pretty drat good.

There's a full write-up and details in this update on our Kickstarter page, and note that backing the Kickstarter is NOT required. I just figured at least somebody around here would want to sign up for a chance to be immortalized as a neck-bearded Sinatra wannabe in a video game (or maybe a neck-bearded marilyn monroe if you're a girl goon, talk to me, we can work something out).

Backed, I love the concept. My daughter's going to insist that the digital likeness is of her, I'm sure.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Just saw this on Greenlight, Poncho, an open world puzzle-platformer. Looks promising, the dev has been working on it part time for 2 years and wants to release first half of 2015. (oh and obvious Fez comparison)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The pixel art actually looks really good and the developer has yet to tell anyone to suck his dick and choke on it. Totally unlike Fez.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
The Pathologic kickstarter has already passed 100,000 dollars, godspeed you crazy Russian wonderful weirdos.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

papasyhotcakes posted:

The Pathologic kickstarter has already passed 100,000 dollars, godspeed you crazy Russian wonderful weirdos.

I'm glad I pledged 20 at it. I really liked the theme of Zafehouse: Diaries and I think Pathologic will really scratch that itch.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I know I'm never going to play it and probably won't even install it, but I threw $20 at Pathologic anyway, it's one of those games that just deserves to be made.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I absolutely love Pathologic's concept art.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
If you backed Mighty No 9 check your e-mail. They just sent out North American Region 3DS eShop codes for Mighty Gunvolt to everyone.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

havenwaters posted:

If you backed Mighty No 9 check your e-mail. They just sent out North American Region 3DS eShop codes for Mighty Gunvolt to everyone.

Where you at a specific tier? I was at the basic level and haven't seen anything yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BexGu posted:

Where you at a specific tier? I was at the basic level and haven't seen anything yet.

I backed at the $20 tier and I got a code, so I imagine unless you were at the $5 tier, it should be coming.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So an update on the Black Watchmen trainwreck:

After publicly asking for help (and being rebuffed) from Ragnar Tornquist, the guy behind the Kickstarter is now groveling for help from Stephen King, Amanda Tapping, and M. Night Shyamalan.

I admire his cajones, but it's kind of sad to watch really.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Agness Kaku now has an archive of correspondence with John Szczepaniak, of The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers, on her Versus John Szczepaniak website.

Versus John Szczepaniak posted:

Complete Message Archive

You can now access the complete archive of our correspondence with John Szczepaniak over the period in question. The archive is split into 5 tabulated sheets:
  • Email between John and Hanako
  • SMS between John and Hanako
  • Email between John and Agness
  • SMS between John and Agness
  • Kickstarter messages between John and Peter
Note that each row containing a message from John is highlighted in pink. Also note that we have chosen to leave out supplementary tagging and indexing for the time being. Although there are a number of messages that deserve special attention, we felt it was best to provide unchannelled access as a first step.

There are still some artifacts from importing an Excel file into Google Spreadsheet. We are in the process of cleaning those up. Also, because the messages were manually extracted into Excel after using Gmail's "forward thread" function, then scrubbed of personal information, there is more room for error than we'd like. If a message appears to refer to another email that cannot be found in the archives, please contact us with the details.

http://versusjs.blogspot.jp/2014/09/complete-message-archive.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
At this point, I don't care about who is right or wrong. Let the courts decide, but none of them deserve any applause for their behavior.

I'm just glad the book is finally out. Couldn't care less about the rest of the mess.