Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
PPS has a unique resident, one of the green smiley faces, as far as I know. It can't not have that, so if you get a PPS it'll dupe stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I heard there was a way to make the Item World stages smaller. Is that something that unlocks later?

I think we need to be more careful pointing out which game we're talking about. This option is in the cheat shop in DD2, but not in D4V. Keep in mind it actually makes more monsters appear, and makes it more likely to get a crowded exit area with no way to punch the guardian off it.

Pollyanna posted:

Can the stick be gotten off of any Nekomata or does the level/tier matter?

I believe the Neko has to be at least level 1000, or at least that's what I've read.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Can someone explain this "Attacked by a Heart's friend" combo that seems to occur occasionally? It doesn't seem to relate to placement on the Cam-pain board, but I'm unsure.

e: In Disgaea 4 Vita

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Conot posted:

Can someone explain this "Attacked by a Heart's friend" combo that seems to occur occasionally? It doesn't seem to relate to placement on the Cam-pain board, but I'm unsure.

e: In Disgaea 4 Vita

Heart Cannon must be placed, any member of it will do a normal attack on a unit within their range if a friend attacks it

Let's say Fenrich is in the HC aura, in a level Fenrich is standing next to a enemy warrior- Val, a prinny and Fuka all attack the unit with whatever, this'll cause Fenrich to hit the warrior 3 times just by being there (but on the flipside he may be countered 3 times)

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I ciuldn't resist, bought D4 Vita. Disgaea is a great portable game. Any tips for me? Any easy ways to grind?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ManOfTheYear posted:

I ciuldn't resist, bought D4 Vita. Disgaea is a great portable game. Any tips for me? Any easy ways to grind?

Earliest place to grind if you want to is 5-2, if you go into item world early only do it for weapons and stop at level 10 (main story won't require anything too crazy obviously), make a nekomata at some point.

Really just enjoy the main game for what it is, don't worry bout the grind or whatnot until your done.

Edit: Oh and if you don't want to use any story characters that's fine, but Val is someone you'll want to make sure is constantly getting levels as he dictates a lot of smaller things. Higher level he is = higher he jumps in mystery rooms/base (needed in some cases) and you can only capture units that are lower then his level (and that you have unlocked already, so you can have a base packed full of level 9999 guys with the best equips ever, but if Val is level 50 or something a level 100 monster will still randomly kill everyone)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 5, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is it relatively standard to get 3-4 people really strong before working on anyone else? My Desco is something like lvl 1200, my Val is level 800, and my galaxy mage is 750. Desco gets big faster thanks to her being the only reasonable way to quickly clear Mt Ordeals 4. I don't even know how to get Big Bang in this game, let alone why the puppy paw stick is important.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emron posted:

Is it relatively standard to get 3-4 people really strong before working on anyone else? My Desco is something like lvl 1200, my Val is level 800, and my galaxy mage is 750. Desco gets big faster thanks to her being the only reasonable way to quickly clear Mt Ordeals 4. I don't even know how to get Big Bang in this game, let alone why the puppy paw stick is important.

Make a bouncer, they get big bang naturally by their 5th tier. Make a high tier bouncer, teach it big bang, then reincarnate it to what you want. As for fist fighters it comes with levels- Adell for example opens up at lvl 500.

Puppy Paw Stick makes perfect duplicates of items when you kill a enemy with it, or a unit that's got a yellow health bar. Let's say you make a super weapon level 300 via item world, stack with the best innocents you can and it's amazing. Kill a unit holding that sword you made via the bio-suit method and bam now you have 2 level 300 super swords with the same innocents and everything.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 5, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Make a bouncer, they get big bang naturally by their 5th tier. Make a high tier bouncer, teach it big bang, then reincarnate it to what you want. As for fist fighters it comes with levels- Adell for example opens up at lvl 500.

Puppy Paw Stick makes perfect duplicates of items when you kill a enemy with it, or a unit that's got a yellow health bar. Let's say you make a super weapon level 300 via item world, stack with the best innocents you can and it's amazing. Kill a unit holding that sord you made via the bio-suit method and bam now you have 2 level 300 super swords with the same innocents and everything.

Ah, okay. Makes sense. I've got a bouncer passively gaining levels from the training grounds symbol.

One other question. Does INT or ATT matter more for special skills, specifically tyrant flugwhatever? I've got a sword that's 1000 att higher than my current one, but it's got 0 int bonus while my current one gives like 400. Some of these systems are hard to figure out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emron posted:

Ah, okay. Makes sense. I've got a bouncer passively gaining levels from the training grounds symbol.

One other question. Does INT or ATT matter more for special skills, specifically tyrant flugwhatever? I've got a sword that's 1000 att higher than my current one, but it's got 0 int bonus while my current one gives like 400. Some of these systems are hard to figure out.

Always assume the skill goes off attack, if it doesn't a icon will show up saying [INT] or [RES] or what have you (A cleric would be the easiest example as their natural attack is labeled "RES")

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Heart Cannon must be placed, any member of it will do a normal attack on a unit within their range if a friend attacks it

Let's say Fenrich is in the HC aura, in a level Fenrich is standing next to a enemy warrior- Val, a prinny and Fuka all attack the unit with whatever, this'll cause Fenrich to hit the warrior 3 times just by being there (but on the flipside he may be countered 3 times)

Oh poo poo, I though it just worked for the people in the HC area, not with anyone. I gotta go reorganize :v:

Smello posted:

I think we need to be more careful pointing out which game we're talking about. This option is in the cheat shop in DD2, but not in D4V. Keep in mind it actually makes more monsters appear, and makes it more likely to get a crowded exit area with no way to punch the guardian off it.

Aw :saddowns: but I actually got to level 100 on a Mr. Gency last night, so it's not all bad.

quote:

I believe the Neko has to be at least level 1000, or at least that's what I've read.

Hooray. \:goleft:/ Guess I'll be grinding Valvatorez up. That, and a Bouncer...I'd like to put Big Bang on just anybody, though. I wish we weren't stuck to weapon-specific skills though, I don't have many fist users.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Hooray. \:goleft:/ Guess I'll be grinding Valvatorez up. That, and a Bouncer...I'd like to put Big Bang on just anybody, though. I wish we weren't stuck to weapon-specific skills though, I don't have many fist users.

Honestly, if you're not levelled into the thousands yet you don't need to worry about equipment or item world anyway. Just magichange.

Make a catgirl if you don't already have one, fuse it with Desco as she clears either 5-2 or CoO4 (depending on where you are) to get it levelled high as you can. Make a bouncer, take it to 5-2 at 8 stars with the catgirl magichanged and beat stuff up until you get it to 4th teir and big bang. Make another 4th tier bouncer, put it in mana pyramid along with your levelled one, use big bang with your high-levelled neko to level your first bouncer while getting enough mana to reach big bang on the second. Reincarnate as appropriate, raise monster level as you can, etc.

Before you know it you'll be levelled into the thousands without any need for items other than shoes.

FYI, you can stack evil symbols on top of each other for extra gain. Just stack the pyramid, the xp symbol, and any other symbols that will fit on top of each other so the leader squares and one member square stack. Drop your new bouncer on the leader square and the powered-up neko on the member square and the extra gain boost will give even a level 1 bouncer enough sp for big bang and a large stat bonus to help with clearing.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 5, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I left the item world to save a half hour ago. I'd be royally pissed off if I lost a few hours' progress to the game crashing (which just happened.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

King of Solomon posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I left the item world to save a half hour ago. I'd be royally pissed off if I lost a few hours' progress to the game crashing (which just happened.)

Yup. That's a thing. It's related to some of the English voice clips. I've had it set to Japanese the entire time and I haven't had any problems.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King of Solomon posted:

Just as a guess, you ran into a Baciel and you were using english voices?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just as a guess, you ran into a Baciel and you were using english voices?

I'm not entirely sure, but that's probably what happened. I just know that an enemy attacked me, it froze, and when I returned to the Vita home screen the game was closed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god, how many pirate ship parts do Nekomatas have?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but that's probably what happened. I just know that an enemy attacked me, it froze, and when I returned to the Vita home screen the game was closed.

Yeah the rifle demon monsters (huge things with gem stomachs and arm cannons) have a bug with their english voice, one line just crashes the entire game and the only way to avoid it is with Japanese voice acting.

Also for Nekmomata's I just saved before the torture, went to see what it was then reset if it wasn't the PPS. I got it on my 3rd try.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Between the crash and the game spawning an Adell with 100,000,000 in every stat I'm starting to think this game doesn't WANT me to reach the item god of this sword.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah the rifle demon monsters (huge things with gem stomachs and arm cannons) have a bug with their english voice, one line just crashes the entire game and the only way to avoid it is with Japanese voice acting.

Also for Nekmomata's I just saved before the torture, went to see what it was then reset if it wasn't the PPS. I got it on my 3rd try.

The reason I asked is because I'd gone through about twenty of the loving things by that point. It was getting annoying.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally got it. Complaining on the internet really does work!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So I started going into the Chara World a little bit. How should I be approaching this? It seems like that's the way I'm going to bring my Lady Samurai to absurd levels of power, but I'm not sure what the most efficient way of going about it is. Should I just have Desco and/or Emizel slowly running through each map casting their 3x3 every turn, or should I blast through the Chara World like the Item World?

Also, as an aside: the game crashed again earlier. There were no Baciels on the map, I was just pulling Desco - I think? - from the Base Panel. I hope NISA addresses this. I really don't want to have to play it in Japanese! :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Always assume the skill goes off attack, if it doesn't a icon will show up saying [INT] or [RES] or what have you (A cleric would be the easiest example as their natural attack is labeled "RES")

However, if it's a character's unique skill it's a bit different. It may show for a characters unique attack as it running off Attack, but in reality it runs off whatever damage calculations the weapon the character has equipped uses.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
DD2 automatically adjusts for the stat of the weapon a story character is using when it comes to their unique skills. I'm not sure how D4/D4V handles this, but DD2 will visibly show the change.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King of Solomon posted:

So I started going into the Chara World a little bit. How should I be approaching this? It seems like that's the way I'm going to bring my Lady Samurai to absurd levels of power, but I'm not sure what the most efficient way of going about it is. Should I just have Desco and/or Emizel slowly running through each map casting their 3x3 every turn, or should I blast through the Chara World like the Item World?

Also, as an aside: the game crashed again earlier. There were no Baciels on the map, I was just pulling Desco - I think? - from the Base Panel. I hope NISA addresses this. I really don't want to have to play it in Japanese! :(

That's odd, haven't seen any reports of Desco causing anything.

And Character World handle it like this:

Floor 1: Clear all geo blocks, if you clear them all then a gate appears and you can expand the evil area your a part of (up to 6 blocks, so you can have 6 people enjoying the mana pyramid or training ground) OR learn the final hardest hitting weapon skills (there are two different prinny shops so always talk to them until you get two of each weapon skill)

The rest just book it, if you see a geo block that's normal looking (just white and black) always make sure you hit it to at least check if a clone or apt sphere spawns, other then that stop for nothing and make sure you kill the black unit at the end of stage 10

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a way to duplicate monster weapons? Since the Bio-Suit can't equip them, you can't use the PPS trick to get copies of them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a way to duplicate monster weapons? Since the Bio-Suit can't equip them, you can't use the PPS trick to get copies of them.

Only way is the original obnoxious way.

Equip it onto a monster, enter character world of that monster, and hope that a clone appears when you hit the null blocks and you get lucky.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So, about map editing: is there a really trivial way to just edit the default base so the Cheat Shop guy isn't in a random corner of the map? I'm pretty happy with the default map otherwise, and would rather avoid having to manually place every NPC just so I can move one or two of them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

King of Solomon posted:

So, about map editing: is there a really trivial way to just edit the default base so the Cheat Shop guy isn't in a random corner of the map? I'm pretty happy with the default map otherwise, and would rather avoid having to manually place every NPC just so I can move one or two of them.

Is that for DD2? Gamefaqs is surprisingly light with its retardedly detailed FAQs, and after returning from a long break from this game I'm having some trouble catching up with everything I can do.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Devor posted:

Is that for DD2? Gamefaqs is surprisingly light with its retardedly detailed FAQs, and after returning from a long break from this game I'm having some trouble catching up with everything I can do.

Nah, Disgaea 4 Vita. For whatever reason the Cheat Shop guy got placed next to the Cockatrice in that jail cell, off in the middle of loving nowhere. I'd rather he be close to the Dimension Guide (where it makes sense.)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

King of Solomon posted:

Nah, Disgaea 4 Vita. For whatever reason the Cheat Shop guy got placed next to the Cockatrice in that jail cell, off in the middle of loving nowhere. I'd rather he be close to the Dimension Guide (where it makes sense.)

Yeah after a certain par tof the game I forget when, you get to make your own custom maps, you can also make a custom base. I made a base for use while I am grinding that is just a small square with everyone lined up along the walls for easy access to everything

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does Emizel just not learn higher tier magic? His skills stopped at Omega level for me. And how come my Thief can't learn Dark Filament?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pollyanna posted:

Does Emizel just not learn higher tier magic? His skills stopped at Omega level for me. And how come my Thief can't learn Dark Filament?

You might need to get him to a very high level. I don't know exactly what level he was when I unlocked it, but Val picked up the final (non-Chara World based) sword skill at like level 5000 or something.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

You might need to get him to a very high level. I don't know exactly what level he was when I unlocked it, but Val picked up the final (non-Chara World based) sword skill at like level 5000 or something.

I think you added an extra zero, and those show up at 500ish, but I might be wrong, i've been using Stella and gig and a Mage for everything.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Doesn't reincarnating raise unique chars' weapon/stat proficiencies and spell levels or is that not in this game? I know it did in D3 and DD2.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh yeah, is there something I get from reincarnating my uniques? I never did it in previous games cause they never had to "promote", and it felt especially pointless now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Oh yeah, is there something I get from reincarnating my uniques? I never did it in previous games cause they never had to "promote", and it felt especially pointless now.

They gain a 5% boost to their growth rates each time you do, up to I think 5 times each.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Huh. I should probably do that, eventually. And Emizel is at level 9999 - he still only has the Omega level spells, max. (Is he even worth using?)

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Reincarnating story characters has been useful since D3 since they started gaining aptitudes then. Reincarnating is also important in general for fully maxing out a character, but there is at least a reason to bother doing it with story characters before you cap your level.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think you added an extra zero, and those show up at 500ish, but I might be wrong, i've been using Stella and gig and a Mage for everything.

Nah, he got rune dimension at 500. It actually was some number around 5000.

Pollyanna posted:

Huh. I should probably do that, eventually. And Emizel is at level 9999 - he still only has the Omega level spells, max. (Is he even worth using?)

If he hasn't gained the ability to learn it at level 9999, you're going to need to inherit it from skulls/mages via the Chara World. And yeah, I'd say he's worth using, but I also haven't bothered dedicating grinding time to him. I feel like if you reincarnated him a few times, got him a powered up staff and put some points into Peta X, he'd be extremely powerful.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
So! Just started New Game+ in D4V. I take it you're just supposed to smash through it to get to the post game? I guess I figured there would be hidden challenges or something.

edit: Unlocked Fallen Angel Flonne before I took the plunge, so that, at least, should be some added fun.

burial fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 9, 2014

• Locked thread