Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Gatts posted:

I'm in Texas now and can't watch Browns. :_(

...you're welcome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

FuzzySkinner posted:

Should I try to watch the Browns...?

Any advice for getting less angry at them?

Besides "drinking", right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Accept that your team is bad and focus on anything that seems like progress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FuzzySkinner posted:

When you accept that your team is garbage football becomes more fun because then you stop obsessing over "WE GOTTA GET IN THE BIG SHOW" or whatever and can just enjoy watching a team of mostly terrible players kill eachother.

Also a low bar means lots of things FEEL like wins.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

warcrimes posted:

This post is loving hilarious.

:confused: I legit don't understand the NFL's interest in eliminating HGH? Like if it's helping dudes heal really fast that seems like a thing they'd want to continue to quietly happen.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Accept that your team is bad and focus on anything that seems like progress.

Focusing on progress could backfire when the team inevitably backslides. Instead the answer is to embrace the Browns as abstract art rather than football. "Johnny Football's inability to pass is a commentary on how passing is ultimately meaningless in a chaotic world."

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

DancingMachine posted:

:confused: I legit don't understand the NFL's interest in eliminating HGH? Like if it's helping dudes heal really fast that seems like a thing they'd want to continue to quietly happen.

But what about KIDS and EXAMPLES????

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Basically the NFL is interested in this poo poo because they don't want the cavalcade of old white sportswriters clutching their pearls and taking them to task for ignoring it like what happened with steroids in baseball.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I can't wait for the Texans to lose in embarrassing fashion to the Redskins tomorrow!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Kirios posted:

I can't wait for the Texans Panthers to lose in embarrassing fashion to the Redskins Bucs tomorrow!

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

When you accept that your team is garbage football becomes more fun because then you stop obsessing over "WE GOTTA GET IN THE BIG SHOW" or whatever and can just enjoy watching a team of mostly terrible players kill eachother.

Also a low bar means lots of things FEEL like wins.

I can't imagine how great it must have been to watch the Browns beat the Patriots that one time, a couple years back.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Kirios posted:

I can't wait for the Texans Redskins to lose in embarrassing fashion to the RedskinsTexans tomorrow!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gatts posted:

I'm in Texas now and can't watch Browns. :_(

If you're around Waco you might actually be able to.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Retromancer posted:

But what about KIDS and EXAMPLES????

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

waah posted:

If Tebow was still in he'd be fined for 3:16 face paint.

:laffo: No he wouldn't. The old white guys running the league love that poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

axeil posted:

:laffo: No he wouldn't. The old white guys running the league love that poo poo.

He wasn't allowed to do the bible verse thing in the NFL. He didn't test them which would have been interesting just to hear the whining.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Filthy Casual posted:

I can't imagine how great it must have been to watch the Browns beat the Patriots that one time, a couple years back.

That's what great about rooting for a godawful team. Any Sunday could wind up being like a Super Bowl (except Super Bowl Sunday).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Retromancer posted:

Basically the NFL is interested in this poo poo because they don't want the cavalcade of old white sportswriters clutching their pearls and taking them to task for ignoring it like what happened with steroids in baseball.

:lol: if you don't think there won't always be pointless pearl clutching. "Did the NFL policies not go far enough???"

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ozu posted:

Gary Myers's job is typically just to post articles trolling Jets and Giants fans so who know where hes coming from. He's saying expanded playoffs for next season are almost a certainty.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/sunday-morning-quarterback-1in-playoff-format-article-1.1930453

Eh, the more I consider it the less I dislike it. It adds additional drama to the end of season if the races are close. Going into the final week or two:

#1 & #2 (maybe more) battle for a bye;
#3 & #4 (maybe more) battle to finish higher and avoid the rested #1 in the divisionals;
A clinched WC wants to keep their top WC seed, slipping down to #6 or #7 means a tougher opponent;
New #7 Seed keeps a few more teams mathematically alive til the last Sunday.

I don't love it, but there's enough fun in there to make it palatable.

And the Playoffs Race thread will be even more ridiculous to manage. :hellyeah:

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

The Bills start their attack on my general enjoyment of life in a few hours. I can't wait.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ForbiddenWonder posted:

The Bills start their attack on my general enjoyment of life in a few hours. I can't wait.

This is our time

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bills gonna win by 30

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tremendous Taste posted:

Orton gonna win by 30

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Billieve bitch

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tremendous Taste posted:

Billieve bitch

people dont actually say this right?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Only older fans say it in sincerity at this point I think

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

He wasn't allowed to do the bible verse thing in the NFL. He didn't test them which would have been interesting just to hear the whining.

That really would have been interesting. I feel like Goodell would have still had to fine him, but all the bible-thumpers would have been, at the very least, annoyed by it. Which would have raised some questions and maybe we'd still have the Kraken?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Schwack posted:

Rumor moving around that the Seahawks are looking at Champ Bailey. They waived WR Phil Bates, again, today and are almost certainly going to look for a guy to play the slot.

edit: Someone said they had a source for this at one point, but it seems to have vanished. Either way, they're adding someone.

The last I read was that the Lions were actually looking at him to help shore up their secondary, which I certainly hope they do because that secondary is terrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Champ is toast. Sorry but he's a huge liability in any secondary at this point.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Champ is toast. Sorry but he's a huge liability in any secondary at this point.

What the Lions currently have is more of a tertiary if anything.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
ah gently caress we have to have a season again? All right.. just.. get it over with then.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Welp, I'm off to Baltimore to see NFL football be played by NFL players that wear the laundry I like best. It's a pretty amazing feeling. The Bengals are a good team but perhaps the Ravens are too. I hope so, losing to Andy Dalton is such an awkward and unpleasant experience.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Welp, I'm off to Baltimore to see NFL football be played by NFL players that wear the laundry I like best. It's a pretty amazing feeling. The Bengals are a good team but perhaps the Ravens are too. I hope so, losing to Andy Dalton is such an awkward and unpleasant experience.

I wish there wasn't an ocean and 4000 miles between me and Baltimore so I could go see the Ravens live :(

Ah well, football with friends, beer, snacks and a huge 70 inch TV tonight so i'll manage!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I was with some old people last night watching the Ohio/Kentucky game. Did you know that if Ohio had just had a better offense and had held Kentucky to fewer points, they would have won? This is was a serious topic of discussion for several hours.

I expect a replay of this brilliance today with the Browns and Steelers. :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

E_Motion posted:

I wish there wasn't an ocean and 4000 miles between me and Baltimore so I could go see the Ravens live :(

Ah well, football with friends, beer, snacks and a huge 70 inch TV tonight so i'll manage!

So is a 70 inch TV big enough? I am thinking of doing a theater room and can't decide if I want projector or a big lcd. I can't afford a 120 inch oled.

Also go Colts try to lose by less then 35 I guess.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

So is a 70 inch TV big enough? I am thinking of doing a theater room and can't decide if I want projector or a big lcd. I can't afford a 120 inch oled.

Also go Colts try to lose by less then 35 I guess.

Go projector.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I'm so hung over. Bring on football.

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
the eagles are going to win 55-0 and go 19-0 and win the next 28 super bowls thank you good morning FOOTBALL IS HAPPENING the eagles are BACK

JORDAN MATTHEWS FOR OROTY, MVP, CPOTY, COACH OF THE YEAR, AND NBA FINALS MVP

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There's some serious bullshit gamesmanship going on right now with Cam and Ron Rivera.

No one loving knows if he's going to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

FizFashizzle posted:

There's some serious bullshit gamesmanship going on right now with Cam and Ron Rivera.

No one loving knows if he's going to play.

Everything I've heard down here says "Nope" but nobody puts Cammy in a corner.

• Locked thread