Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

pathetic little tramp posted:

Man trying to get the Speed Demon I banner is killing me over and over - I figure MiBe is the easiest way to do it, but I just got confronted on D:5 by 2 Ogres, a Hill Giant(!), and a Goliath Beetle. Of course, it was the adder that confronted me as I ran that did me in... Maybe I'll do a sneaky spriggan and just dive and run.
I got Speed Demon 2 on accident. Turns out Jiyva worshippers aren't prohibited from earning that banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I think TrMo is probably a good way to get Speed Demon. I was on track for getting it on my last TrMo until I found a Lab and decided I'd rather do that and go for a "real" game.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'm running a DsNe of Chei in trunk, and it's my first successful Demonspawn, Necromancer, and Cheibro, so I'm wondering if there's anything I should watch out for. I'm partway down Spider now, slaughtering them by the dozen. My general level-by-level strategy is to go down stairs, kill a bunch of dudes, raise them as zombies, and start an undead snowball. Works fairly well - Frances died to a swarm of zombie spiders without me even touching him.

For future development, I'm looking at Conjurations and Fire magic. I've found the Book of Power and Book of Fire and have Fireball online, and might pick up Bolt of Magma, too, and later OOD or Iron Shot, to give solid ranged options. Would it be worthwhile to branch into transformations? I could get Stoneskin and work up to Statue Form, which could be very strong, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile, or if it is, if I should prioritize Conj first.

EDIT: Slouch does damage based on speed differential, right? Is using a wand of slowing on myself then slouching a situationally decent idea, a crazy idea, or a Very Bad Idea.

HisMajestyBOB fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 7, 2014

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

I found a really neat D11! Kudos to whoever designed this layout, I really enjoyed exploring it.

That type of map is really cool.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

code:
crawl.git      7 Hours Ago
Fix Dith not actually increasing player stealth

This was broken by 560c0028.

Yred worshippers in umbras and players wearing the ring of shadows were
 also less stealthy due to this bug.
Sometimes, I wonder how things like this get by for so long without anyone noticing (the commit that broke it was April 29th).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Stealth is so unreliable I'm not surprised it went unnoticed, to be honest.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got my second win, this time it only took 4 months of playing DCSS on and off instead of a few years like my first one.

Did they make Swamp easier and Spider harder in .15? I've lost a bunch of characters to Spider 1, and I've been just blasting through Swamp lately.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Did you change the character type you're playing? I find that Snake/Spider tends to be murder for light armour caster/ranged weapon types, whereas Swamp and Shoals are a lot more punishing for folks who are relying on melee. If you used to play big beefy spam cans and are now switching to casters/archers, you'd probably notice that trend. (But also, I'm fairly sure Swamp is the easiest of the four Lair branches).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

hito posted:

(But also, I'm fairly sure Swamp is the easiest of the four Lair branches).

I've found it's gotten a lot nastier since the spriggans were added.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

I'll still take it by a mile over Shoals, though (possibly not if I'm a merfolk).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm terrified of thorn hunters

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Thorn hunters are scary as poo poo, but it feels like there are more krakens in Shoals than thorn hunters in Swamp nowadays.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The answer is clear: swamp krakens. :krakken:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

That could be true, I think every game I had Swamp post-spriggans I had Airstrike which is really rad against them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Started playing this thing for the first time since probably 0.12, basically don't remember a loving thing. Picked Minotaur Fighter, found a Trog altar,

K - the +8 dagger "Qeruun" (weapon) {freeze, Dex+4}.

Did I just hit a jackpot or an anti-jackpot? I can't work it out

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Ciaphas posted:

Started playing this thing for the first time since probably 0.12, basically don't remember a loving thing. Picked Minotaur Fighter, found a Trog altar,

K - the +8 dagger "Qeruun" (weapon) {freeze, Dex+4}.

Did I just hit a jackpot or an anti-jackpot? I can't work it out

You found the first of what will be many dozens of randarts that are completely useless to you, assuming you stay alive long enough :D

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
If you're using long blades, you could use that dagger early on while training Long Blades. Cross-training skills directly affect other skills now, so as your Long Blades skill goes up, your Short Blade skill also goes up, but less. Still, not something you'll use for long and you should give it up once you find a decent weapon in whatever you're planning to train.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

A +8 branded dagger will be better than any starting weapon until your attack delay reaches 1.0 or so, with no skill invested in the dagger

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I frankly don't know what to train. I picked a war axe to start 'cause, y'know, axes :shrug:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

I'm trying to get an OpSu off the ground for Nemelex's challange. This actually seems like a fairly strong combo, but MAN it is frustrating dying because of how inaccurate a Centaur is.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ciaphas posted:

I frankly don't know what to train. I picked a war axe to start 'cause, y'know, axes :shrug:

MiFi of Trog is pretty much a no-brainer axes choice. Between executioner axe cleaving and the odd retaliatory headbutt, you'll be making GBS threads damage nonstop anytime anything is adjacent to you, regardless of how many anythings are adjacent to you at any one time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shoals can actually have loot and stores so I'll take it over swamp any day.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I haven't played since the 0.13 tournament but I'm travelling for the next two weeks with only a chromebook so Crawl it is. I assume Gargoyles have been nerfed a little? What's the best race/class combo for wimps these days?

e: Looked at the changelog, so Gargoyles haven't been changed since they were introduced or did I miss something? I really enjoyed using them in the tournament.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 8, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Minotaur/Gargoyle/HillOrc Fighter/Berserker/Gladiator of Trog/Okawaru

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hito posted:

Did you change the character type you're playing? I find that Snake/Spider tends to be murder for light armour caster/ranged weapon types, whereas Swamp and Shoals are a lot more punishing for folks who are relying on melee. If you used to play big beefy spam cans and are now switching to casters/archers, you'd probably notice that trend. (But also, I'm fairly sure Swamp is the easiest of the four Lair branches).

Both of my wins were melee characters, but I try to change it up. My Spider deaths have been on assassins and transmuters mostly, and I think Swamp has just felt easier because I haven't run into Mara or the Lernaean Hydra in a while.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Is it just me, or does this helmet look like an entrance to a Arabian themed branch?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

there can be only one

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
does a staff of earth or fire contribute more to spell power to their respective schools than a generic staff of conj?

I have all of the above and i have both schools trained up

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

chunkles posted:

I haven't played since the 0.13 tournament but I'm travelling for the next two weeks with only a chromebook so Crawl it is. I assume Gargoyles have been nerfed a little? What's the best race/class combo for wimps these days?

e: Looked at the changelog, so Gargoyles haven't been changed since they were introduced or did I miss something? I really enjoyed using them in the tournament.

http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.15/species-backgrounds.html Here's a fairly effective "tier list".

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

JollyGreen posted:

does a staff of earth or fire contribute more to spell power to their respective schools than a generic staff of conj?

All the spell enhancers are equivalent in power, they differ only in what they enhance.

exception: augmentation is weird and based on mutation level and HP... lantern of shadows counts as -2 enhancers, so does Shadow Form (Dithmenos ability)

kaschei fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 8, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

JollyGreen posted:

I'm not 100% on this any more, but I'm pretty sure staff of SCHOOL will always act as an enhancer, similar to ring of fire/ice, etc. It'd be equal.
e:f;b

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Do enhancers affect corresponding breath attacks?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Twitch posted:

Both of my wins were melee characters, but I try to change it up. My Spider deaths have been on assassins and transmuters mostly, and I think Swamp has just felt easier because I haven't run into Mara or the Lernaean Hydra in a while.

Mara can show up just as easily in Spider or Shoals as Swamp; I've had him drop in in Shoals once along with that unique water nymph whose name I can't spell, it was awful. I don't know about the Hydra, though, I think I've only seen him in Swamp.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Learnean Hydra is swamp exclusive and extremely rare on top of that. I'm pretty sure I've only seen it twice in all of my games.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brannock posted:

Do enhancers affect corresponding breath attacks?

Only spells, sadly.

Prism posted:

Mara can show up just as easily in Spider or Shoals as Swamp; I've had him drop in in Shoals once along with that unique water nymph whose name I can't spell, it was awful. I don't know about the Hydra, though, I think I've only seen him in Swamp.

Ilsuiw. Only six characters. Very intuitive. :)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Learnean Hydra is swamp exclusive and extremely rare on top of that. I'm pretty sure I've only seen it twice in all of my games.

Honestly the Hydra isn't that rare, he just only shows up in certain endings. Dissolution is definitely the rarest of the S-branch exclusive uniques.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Heh, I was about to post here asking "Well Trog just gave me a +3 flaming Triple Crossbow, but I have 5 throwing and quite a few good throwing items already, should I focus Throwing or Crossbows for ranged backup for my GrBe?" and then I remembered that in .15.0 my throwing is going to get added to enemy throwing, so uhh...crossbow it is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

code:
crawl.git      7 Hours Ago
Fix Dith not actually increasing player stealth

This was broken by 560c0028.

Yred worshippers in umbras and players wearing the ring of shadows were
 also less stealthy due to this bug.
Sometimes, I wonder how things like this get by for so long without anyone noticing (the commit that broke it was April 29th).
Not as good as that one time that shields didn't actually penalize melee for like, months I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
0:01:50 ago: Jolly the Devastator (L21 DEFE of Vehumet) reached level 9 of a ziggurat. (Zig:9, turn 68382, dur 7:17:24, cszo)

• Locked thread