Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Psionics just use wizard spells.

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ritorix posted:

Seriously.
No way. Seriously?

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

ritorix posted:

Seriously.

That's a little depressing :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ritorix posted:

Seriously.

So why even bother?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Monks using wizard spells too is the lamest thing.

"I cast Flames of the Phoenix!"
"What does that do?"
"It's a Fireball"
"Oh, ok."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Haha, you yourself wrote "cast", though. You can't escape it. No one can.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

ritorix posted:

Seriously.

Jesus loving christ how lazy.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Strength of Many posted:

Jesus loving christ how lazy.

Is there any word that there was a massive time crunch or something? This seems entirely backwards to me. Plus while I wasn't big on 4e in general I really did like some of the improvements they added to the game. For one I really liked con, reflex and will saves just being a new type of AC, really thought that was an odd thing to jump back from. I figured they would have kept a few more things from 4e then almost nothing.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

ritorix posted:

Seriously.

Sorry, that ruins my loving immersion. Psionicists using TKE POWERS and supposedly we treat them like they're spells some wizard has to learn from a book and Vancian-cast? Dissociated mechanic.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Remember, their original idea was to make psions, warlocks, sorcerers, and wizards all exponents of an archetypical "mage" super-class; they'd all access the same effects, but warlocks in small bites per-encounter, wizards in big bites per-day, psions by spending per-day power points, and so on. That's clearly still the plan.

And it's not a bad plan! Like, gently caress, what effect is there that psionics can produce and spellcasting can't, or vice versa? You'd just have a huge list of "Fireball, Psionic" and "Disintegrate, Psionic". Might as well cut to the chase. It doesn't even stop you from creating unique-to-method effects; here's a spell that only psions can cast, here's a spell that only wizards can cast.

There's a single master spell list, and different classes can touch different slices of it. That's how it works!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Played a session of Hoard of the Dragon Queen today. So nice to be killing kobolds on the goddamn Sword Coast for the fiftieth time.

Our DM told us beforehand that 5e is more about roleplay, less about combat. In practice the fights were quicker, but also much more numerous than 4e, so the combat/RP balance was just the same only none of it was interesting. Combat was just as slow and bogged down in analysis paralysis as my group's worst 4e sessions, except instead of deciding what to actually do, the problem was how exactly to end the sentence "I attack with my X." Almost all of our 4e combats feel challenging and tense, at least at some point, but in this session they never did. I suppose they would have gotten hairy if we had kept going, since there's no decent healing anymore, but our host player said he had to call it because he's getting up early tomorrow. I think he might have just felt sorry for me. The highlight was when we decided a fight actually looked risky, so we dropped everybody with Sleep instead. "I cast" was much more immersive and verisimilitudinal than "I attack."

Is there an expanding .gif for :geno:?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Some of the Psionic abilities from 3.5 were just spells with ,Psionic appended to the end, so I'm not very surprised considering how similar 5E is to 3.5. If all the Psionic abilities are just re-named spells then yeah, that's gonna kill a lot of my enthusiasm for this game.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

There's a single master spell list, and different classes can touch different slices of it. That's how it works!

Ok that sounds a lot better. I thought it was just same abilities different names and all that.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
You know, I can totally understand why people around here are so upset at 5e. I mean, you guys (that is, fans of 4e who like a tightly balanced game where fighters can do just as much cool stuff as wizards) have basically been totally ignored, while abusive poo poo heads like Pundowski and Zak instead get consultant credits.

It's kind of the same problem with video games, where the loudest and most abusive voices end up being the ones responded to and listened to, while polite yet dedicated fans feel like they get ignored.

I'm not sure what the solution is... other than going to cons and punching the poo poo heads.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ascendance posted:

You know, I can totally understand why people around here are so upset at 5e. I mean, you guys (that is, fans of 4e who like a tightly balanced game where fighters can do just as much cool stuff as wizards) have basically been totally ignored, while abusive poo poo heads like Pundowski and Zak instead get consultant credits.

It's kind of the same problem with video games, where the loudest and most abusive voices end up being the ones responded to and listened to, while polite yet dedicated fans feel like they get ignored.

I'm not sure what the solution is... other than going to cons and punching the poo poo heads.

This assumes the leads in the 5e project are just being forced to do what the fanbase wants; I've seen little evidence to suggest this isn't exactly the version of D&D they wanted to create.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Countblanc posted:

This assumes the leads in the 5e project are just being forced to do what the fanbase wants; I've seen little evidence to suggest this isn't exactly the version of D&D they wanted to create.
I don't think they are forced to do what the fanbase wants. They WANT to create what the fanbase wants, since the whole goal of 5e was to cut down on the splintering of the fanbase.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ascendance posted:

I don't think they are forced to do what the fanbase wants. They WANT to create what the fanbase wants, since the whole goal of 5e was to cut down on the splintering of the fanbase.
Good job with that eh? 5E focus on optional content means even its foundation is splintered

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Jackard posted:

Good job with that eh? 5E focus on optional content means even its foundation is splintered
Yes. Thats why D&D Encounters is important, in order to establish a baseline permissive atmosphere. But I have seen a lot of people spout silly rules opinions in all kinds of message forums.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I didn't think about organized play since I don't play except with friends, but how does that work in a system reliant on GM adjudication? Like doesn't that mean your character could play/function differently week-to-week depending on who your GM is?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I think in practice, most places have the same people GM each week - at least that what it's like around here. So while different locations may have different rules interpretations, it shouldn't really change too much week to week.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jackard posted:

Not if the goal is literally, "steal players back from Pathfinder," in which case who cares how balkanized 5e is, at least they're WotC customers again.

And this is exactly the kind of game which has the best chance of snagging PF players - simpler, less broken (though broken in similar ways), similar feel.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

And this is exactly the kind of game which has the best chance of snagging PF players - simpler, less broken (though broken in similar ways), similar feel.
Apparently, the "consultants" just filled out a questionnaire on whether or not all the different elements of the game "felt like D&D."

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

I didn't think about organized play since I don't play except with friends, but how does that work in a system reliant on GM adjudication? Like doesn't that mean your character could play/function differently week-to-week depending on who your GM is?
Yes. Some GMs are going to let your warlock take a hand off the greatsword to cast, and let you put the hand back on so you can take an OA. while others will definitely let you not do that without combat casting.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Okay, I'm just going to say this because I might as well be open about this kind of thing. For a fair portion of this thread, their first encounter with you making a few posts defending Zak S [... and this is the point where we stop reading because it's not productive.]

Like I said, if anyone actually wanted to discuss that, which they don't, there are a ton of appropriate places for that.

Is it really that ridiculous to suggest that maybe it would not be in the best interests of what could in theory be a discussion thread to keep poking at a highly contentious thing on which many people have made it absolutely clear that no sequence of words in the English language could change their minds, not even with an ironclad guarantee of the factual accuracy of those words?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

moths posted:

"Isn't D&D at all" is a pure tummy-feel emotional judgment driven largely by nerdrage backlash, in-group dynamics, and willful misconceptions about D&D (both as a whole and especially the edition in question). Of course nobody's going to admit that their collected rambling anti-4e blog's screeds boil down to "I'm asserting my team allegiance, please validate it in the comments below."

Well, yeah.

But "this doesn't have the feel I associate with D&D" is a more defensible claim, and while I personally thought 4e was a better game than 3e and friends, that doesn't mean it will scratch the particular itch people were playing D&D for.

quote:

This thread is filled with examples plainly showing Next to be a slapped-together, mediocre RPG cashing in on its family name. Nobody's saying that doesn't make it "D&D" enough, hell that probably makes it the most "D&D."

That's actually a fascinating observation, and it might well explain why a lot of people are liking it. This reminds me a little of a Usenet post from a decade or two back. Guy was talking about how his wife hated the Grateful Dead, and always said they couldn't sing. One day, he came home, she was listening to the Dead, and he said "but I thought you said they can't sing?" She replied "Yeah, but they can't sing so *well*."

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, I get this part, definitely. One time I had people thinking I was friends with James Desborough because I had written a post ambiguously and people read the wrong thing into it. (To be clear, I have never even talked to the guy and I have a big problem with what he has written. I am anti-Desborough.) But with you, I don't think there has been any such mistake. You defended Zak S. Then once you read more, you didn't just apologize and drop it. You apologized but then went right on defending him, so what the gently caress, man.

I tend to defend (or attack) specific traits or claims, with no real interest in overall evaluations of the people or things under discussion. If I think a specific claim is baseless or dishonest, I'll attack it, no matter what I might think of the person about whom the claim is made. If I think a claim is valid, likewise, I'll support it.

So, for instance, I really enjoy 4th edition, but I will support claims that it "doesn't feel like D&D" to a lot of people, because people have argued that coherently enough that I think they are making a meaningful claim. A lot of people infer that I am attacking 4e or saying it's bad, but I'm not; I'm just agreeing with a factual claim about how some people experience it.

That said, for the record, I really don't currently have any huge objections to Zak. He's sort of an rear end in a top hat, but a lot of my friends are sort of assholes, and I don't care about that. I don't really want to argue that point, but I also don't want to make people think I'm saying otherwise and then freaking out because they think I was lying.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Ferrinus posted:

Haha, you yourself wrote "cast", though. You can't escape it. No one can.

Remember in 4th when not every special or fantastic ability was referred to as a spell or spell-like? Every powers source had a unique name for its powers.

So you had Arcane spells, but you also had Divine prayers, Primal evocations, Martial exploits, and Psionic disciplines. :sigh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ritorix posted:

Seriously.

Note that this was the same in 3e/Pathfinder, so don't pin it right on 5e. It's the same for pretty much any D&D edition that doesn't explicitly have psionics going on.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
It's kind of telling that the only time D&D has ever done psionics in an interesting and fun manner was the 4e monk, and that didn't even use power points.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

It's kind of telling that the only time D&D has ever done psionics in an interesting and fun manner was the 4e monk, and that didn't even use power points.

1e psionics were interesting as laid out in the core rulebooks. They were just very unbalanced.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arivia posted:

1e psionics were interesting as laid out in the core rulebooks. They were just very unbalanced.

As someone who knows nothing of 1e, would it be rude to ask you to elaborate?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Covok posted:

As someone who knows nothing of 1e, would it be rude to ask you to elaborate?
You had a tiny (2%?) chance of getting psionics, modified slightly by Wisdom, and possibly Intelligence. Then you would roll on a table to see how many of the attack and defense modes you would get, and you would roll for some major and minor powers. The powers were point driven, and had a % chance of working. They were totally unbalanced because if you had them, awesome. If you didnt, oh well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The game wasn't balanced around having or not having them really (excepting psionic monsters, which you would be hosed against if someone didn't have them.) It was cool since they were very specifically very rare, very hidden, and I think the text even recommends players not tell each other if they got some to keep the mystique alive.

Also there was a chance of driving your character insane, dumb, or similar if you rolled and failed to get powers. It's very 1e, and very inappropriate for anything beyond the OSR today, but it fits 1e very well.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

seebs posted:

He's sort of an rear end in a top hat, but a lot of my friends are sort of assholes, and I don't care about that.
you know, a strong case can be made that this is the fundamental problem with all nerd hobbies. We're all so afraid of being excluded, we include assholes, and hence, enable their assholery.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

The game wasn't balanced around having or not having them really (excepting psionic monsters, which you would be hosed against if someone didn't have them.) It was cool since they were very specifically very rare, very hidden, and I think the text even recommends players not tell each other if they got some to keep the mystique alive.

Also there was a chance of driving your character insane, dumb, or similar if you rolled and failed to get powers. It's very 1e, and very inappropriate for anything beyond the OSR today, but it fits 1e very well.
The way i remember it, if you didnt have psionics, you were pretty much immune to at least psionic combat, and the attack and defense modes. That way, you could keep psionics as a mostly optional module. But then, some monsters, like the mind flayer, had some powerful special abilities that were basically described as psionic, and hence overcame spell resistance and dispelling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

The way i remember it, if you didnt have psionics, you were pretty much immune to at least psionic combat, and the attack and defense modes. That way, you could keep psionics as a mostly optional module. But then, some monsters, like the mind flayer, had some powerful special abilities that were basically described as psionic, and hence overcame spell resistance and dispelling.

Yeah. One of the things that makes Gygaxian writing so Gygaxian - and in turn makes the 1e books so magical - was Gygax putting value judgments directly into the text. The fearsome MIND BLAST was one of those, and the illithid was basically the followthrough.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The fact that anyone straight-faced describes Zak S as only "kind of" an rear end in a top hat speaks volumes about this loving hobby.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
He gets other people to do his harassment for him, that's different right?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

moths posted:

The fact that anyone straight-faced describes Zak S as only "kind of" an rear end in a top hat speaks volumes about this loving hobby.
GD Geek Social Fallacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

He gets other people to do his harassment for him, that's different right?
It shows a level of social skill development thats above the average troll, thats for sure.