Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52r6V-SUWqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Every REM song is the same song and that song is bad.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Bimmi posted:

You suck.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rolling around to Turn You Inside Out was probably the best part of Grand Theft Auto 4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bimmi posted:

most of their songs are in E minor but uh saying that (totally random examples) "Wolves, Lower" and "I Remember California" sound the same displays a profound lack of ability to distinguish sounds apart

also Fables of the Reconstruction was so weird because they recorded it in London, while constantly stoned, and very loving miserable. there's a good REM bio book that talks about it but i forget what it was called

kinda interested in that book Stipe's ex-boyfriend wrote, which supposedly talks all about how Stipe is a drug fueled dick machine

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

its a stupid poo poo thread as we know it

and i feel fine

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I like when the Feelies are all, "Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa Cé-La"

Then the guitar goes "nee nee neeeee neeeee neeneeneenee neeee"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
to be fair, they never wrote a song as good as "Hooked on a Feeling"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm a shiny happy person

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jarvis cocker posted:

REM are loving terrible but one thing they've got going is they aren;t U2

I had a teacher in 10th grade who kept harping on about some U2 vs REM rivalry or some poo poo that nobody knew existed, and in retrospect was just him being a sperg.

Was this a thing? Were they rivals or some poo poo?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

precision posted:

most of their songs are in E minor but uh saying that (totally random examples) "Wolves, Lower" and "I Remember California" sound the same displays a profound lack of ability to distinguish sounds apart

Hmm yes, I am certainly going to dig deep into the catalog of a band I can't stand on the off chance that some of their material might not be tedious droning poo poo, that sounds like an excellent use of my time.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Actually it does

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

precision posted:

kinda interested in that book Stipe's ex-boyfriend wrote, which supposedly talks all about how Stipe is a drug fueled dick machine

list of important pop music artists who were not fueled by drugs:
Queen
Frank Zappa

um

a bunch of boring canadians?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

Dandywalken posted:

I had a teacher in 10th grade who kept harping on about some U2 vs REM rivalry or some poo poo that nobody knew existed, and in retrospect was just him being a sperg.

Like NiN vs SoundGarden Radiohead. It exists only in the brains of those dumb enough to give a poo poo about either band.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

i've never heard of this, and i've heard of the morrissey/robert smith rivalry

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
There was talk of a blur vs oasis rivalry I seem to recall

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Klyith posted:

list of important pop music artists who were not fueled by drugs:
Queen

yeah if there was one thing freddie mercury hated it was cocaine

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
'oo d'y like better, dougal: oasis or blur

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
pronounced "bluhher"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

U2 v REM was a real but imaginary tension existing circa 1992 or so, replacing the tension between the USA and USSR.

Each band was "alternate" and broke into mainstream prominence during this time.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

U2 v REM was a real but imaginary tension existing circa 1992 or so, replacing the tension between the USA and USSR.

Each band was "alternate" and broke into mainstream prominence during this time.

i bet michael stipe could beat bono in a fight even though mike looks like an AIDS victim

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

redshirt posted:

I think that's right.
I believe that 2 members from each band gave a joint concert so I think the rivalry was illusory.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

U2 v REM was also contemporary with The Simpsons v The Cosbys, FYI.

Each was a groping for familiar archetypes in the wake of the fall of the USSR and the Cold War.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

REM is good and U2 is loving godawful so the rivalry is prob all U2s terrible fans doing

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

REM is good and U2 is loving godawful so the rivalry is prob all U2s terrible fans doing

i like R.E.M. a lot and U2 a little so i don't think that's entirely right

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I've heard that in the '80s there was a longstanding debate about whether REM or the Replacements were the best American indie band, back when they were both indie bands

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
tbf rem has been doing their level damndest to be terrible since like 1997

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Benedick Cuckold posted:

i like R.E.M. a lot and U2 a little so i don't think that's entirely right

U2 in 1992 or so was pretty awesome as well.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Liking U2 "a little" means liking Sunday bloody sunday and that Batman forever song (the only 2 good songs they have)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

Liking U2 "a little" means liking Sunday bloody sunday and that Batman forever song (the only 2 good songs they have)

no i like a few of their songs. i've never really gotten into them so maybe i'd like more of them if i listened to them

paranoid randroid posted:

tbf rem has been doing their level damndest to be terrible since like 1997

surely you exaggerate. they only had one terrible album and even that had a good song on it

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

U2 can't even afford a gas range to cook with

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
The Great Beyond is one of my alltime favorite songs. there's something about it that is depressing, weird, upbeat, but really good. followed by Losing My Religion as REM's second best. some other songs like Electrolyte and Orange Crush are good but everything else is merely ok. i wouldn't say they were a really good band if they only have a handful of songs after like 2 decades.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 8, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dandywalken posted:

I had a teacher in tenth grade that was constantly getting us to listen to REM and dissect the lyrics, even though it was math class. He got really creepy when listening to the songs, and one time my friend drew a picture of him as a gay pleasure-bot from the future with pneumatic limp-wrists, returned to the past to be super gay and service the other teachers. He found it and flipped his poo poo so hard and so over the top that people were convinced some part of it must be true.

Welp, that's my REM story.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Where the stress have no name is U2s single decent tube.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

opus111 posted:

Where the stress have no name is U2s single decent tube.

i never cared for U2 much. but yeah The Joshua Tree is a pretty good album.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Benedick Cuckold posted:

surely you exaggerate. they only had one terrible album and even that had a good song on it
I really like Up but that has a lot to do with what was going on with my life when it came out. It has personal nostalgia (and it's a good album for that since it's full of melancholy nostalgic songs). If I seperate myself from that I don't think it's that good.

Reveal is crap, Around the Sun is even worse. They're both completely boring. Somehow Reveal has acquired some sort of prestige as being underrated. "This album wasn't actually worse than cancer", ok then.

Accelerate and Collapse are ok, but in a lot of ways sound like a really good REM cover band. They're short and full of constant-sound type songs, very claustrophobic. REM is better with a less is more type sound, but whatever they're good to throw in the car while driving.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Michael Stipe
Despite the hype
I'd love to suck
Your big long pipe

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Zooropa and Achtung Baby are the only U2 albums worth listening to

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I live in the town they're from and where the B-52s were from so the town got this undeserved reputation of being a good town for music but everything has actually sucked poo poo since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010
REM sucks

• Locked thread