Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

TerminalSaint posted:

Is there any word on how long modding tools will take after release?
No, but expect it to take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Fair enough. Thanks.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
BN any word on ranger portraits for ranger creation? Hate to harp on it but I love the art from them and I liked having a large selection to draw from. Plus I know others are wanting to know. Will I have to wait until someone pulls all the portraits out so I can dump them in my custom portraits directory?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I wonder if a group to remake Wasteland in the Wasteland 2 engine has already formed, assuming it will be possible?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm still having a really drat hard planning my party out in this game. I'm paralyzed by choice! How often do you get additional attribute points/attributes after character creation? Do I need >1 Charisma on more than one character? Do I really need Speed on non-melee characters? How much Strength should I shoot for, since I know that later armors and rad suits have Strength requirements, but I don't know what they are? Will it hurt me too much if I drop everyone to 1 Luck (I'm not a big fan of random-chance bonuses and the evasion/crit bonuses look small)? I wish I wasn't such a min/max perfectionist in CRPGs.

e: Also since the devs follow this thread; you guys are probably already aware but in the opening conversation with Vargas, the Smart rear end response is labeled Kiss rear end and the Kiss rear end response is labeled Smart rear end.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 7, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I'm still having a really drat hard planning my party out in this game. I'm paralyzed by choice! How often do you get additional attribute points/attributes after character creation? Do I need >1 Charisma on more than one character? Do I really need Speed on non-melee characters? How much Strength should I shoot for, since I know that later armors and rad suits have Strength requirements, but I don't know what they are? Will it hurt me too much if I drop everyone to 1 Luck (I'm not a big fan of random-chance bonuses and the evasion/crit bonuses look small)? I wish I wasn't such a min/max perfectionist in CRPGs.

e: Also since the devs follow this thread; you guys are probably already aware but in the opening conversation with Vargas, the Smart rear end response is labeled Kiss rear end and the Kiss rear end response is labeled Smart rear end.

From the current early access build, there's not much penalty for dropping Luck to 1. There's at least 3 attribute shrines and at least 5 skill shrines that you can find in Arizona. I think you also gain 1 attribute point every 10 levels?

I remember someone pointing out that maxing out your Combat Initiative gives you a ridiculous amount of turns relative to the enemy and gives you a huge advantage in battle.

But really, there's no point in planning anything out right now. The beta build is old and the game comes out in like two weeks, plus there's a day 1 mandatory patch for balance/fixes.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I'm still having a really drat hard planning my party out in this game.

I've used the party below for the first few hours of beta and it worked very well. I haven't progressed much into the story line though (waiting release for that) so maybe it'll suck down the line, but I doubt it.

Leader/Doc:

Rogue/Melee:

Sniper/Mechanic/Weaponsmith:

Gunner/Alarm guy (rogue would be too spread out if he also did the alarms)

Eddain
May 6, 2007
How do you intend to skill up your Gunner/Alarm guy with only 1 Intelligence? The required skill points for another rank increase as the level gets higher, so if you only get 2 skill points a level you're gonna end up eventually going 3-4 levels without being able to rank up anything.

If you're gonna make someone a skill bitch I'd recommend a minimum of 6 INT.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Eddain posted:

How do you intend to skill up your Gunner/Alarm guy with only 1 Intelligence? The required skill points for another rank increase as the level gets higher, so if you only get 2 skill points a level you're gonna end up eventually going 3-4 levels without being able to rank up anything.

If you're gonna make someone a skill bitch I'd recommend a minimum of 6 INT.

I think you're right, I might dump some Coord and maybe some Speed to bump Int.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I think W2 would be served well by having better explanations for the various attribute/skill interactions, rather than the current "some skills have a minimum [attribute] requirement". If not directly in the UI someplace, then at least in the manual, or as a last-minute readme.txt

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some more of the builds you guys have come up with, whatever I do at character creation I feel like I'm making the wrong choice.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I have been really debating whether to have 3 heavy combat rangers with the fourth being a skill dump guy or simply have everyone being more well-rounded.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Hand Row posted:

I have been really debating whether to have 3 heavy combat rangers with the fourth being a skill dump guy or simply have everyone being more well-rounded.

I think specialized is better since you will be running with 4 team members. All this is subject to change with the day 1 patch but I have been running 1 Melee brute, 1 long range shooter and 2 skill monkeys. The game is not terribly hard right now so I have not had to much of a issue with only have 2 focused on combat.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Team concepts are fun.

My first set of Rangers is going to be The Immaculate Order Of The Sacred Atom.

Led by the fearsome Father Confessor, this small sect of roving, fanatically religious wanderers has heard that the Desert Rangers are responsible for cleansing Arizona from raider filth and mutant aberrations; as such, the Blessed Father has ordered the best of his number to join the Rangers and provide them with any assistance necessary in burning the damned souls of the Wasteland in the Coming of the Second Fire.

The roster:
Brother Lickspittle, chronicler, archivist, and shivering coward; he speaks for the team on Father Confessor's behalf, talking softly and obsequiously at all times in the hope of convincing sinners (the fools) that the Order is no threat. Also responsible for healing the faithful.
Sister Deadeye, warrior of God, sniper and team mechanic, responsible for the weapons of the faithful. Joined the group in an attempt to repent for her many years of petty theft (although her various burglary skills are still much admired.)
Sister Gank, semi-sentient, steroid-pumped brute in a nun costume. May not actually be female, but nobody wants to find out. Slaughters indiscriminately using blunt objects. Gets on well with animals and children.
Father Confessor, a mad-eyed, grey-bearded man with the ability to inspire the faithful to greater heights in the midst of battle. Likes nothing better than to show a sinner the error of their ways via the churning barrel of his heavy machine-gun.

...and then, of course, there's Scotchmo.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 7, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Davoren posted:

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some more of the builds you guys have come up with, whatever I do at character creation I feel like I'm making the wrong choice.

This was my latest team setup and it worked out pretty well for the most part (got to the nuke monks) but there's stuff I would definitely change.

Stats in order of Coordination, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, and Charisma.

Looter: 5/1/3/4/3/9/3; Lockpicking, Assault Rifles, Safecracking, Computer Science, Handguns, Perception
- The idea was to have my main character have all the skills necessary to loot any locked container, and his INT is high enough to keep every skill about even with his levelups. If I could do it again I'd take out Handguns since Assault Rifles are a great overall weapon and you don't really need a secondary. Later on I realized that some doors could only be opened with Alarm Disarming, so I'd probably replace Handguns for that.

Heavy: 4/1/3/8/3/6/3; Blunt Weapon, Toaster Repair, Weaponsmithing, Heavy Weapon, Mechanical Repair
- Heavy Weapons are fun to use but the jam rate is pretty high, plus you can't really add any mods to them. Toaster Repair is great for getting items used in sidequests, and Mech Repair is useful for solving main quests.

Sniper: 8/1/3/3/3/7/3; Leadership, Submachine Guns, Field Medic, Surgeon
- Sniper rifle for far enemies, Submachine gun for close enemies. If you don't want your NPC companions to act like retards in battle you want someone with decent Leadership. Since she's my sniper I keep her in the back, and that way she'll be alive to heal up anyone who falls. Currently if you want to max out Surgeon you need 10 INT, so either do that on one of your main guys or on an NPC you plan to use forever (Rose from Ag Center is a decent choice from what I've seen).

Talker: 8/1/3/4/3/6/3; Shotguns, Energy Weapons, Smart rear end, Kick rear end, Hard rear end
- Shotguns for low armor enemies, Energy Weapons for high armor enemies. Has every dialogue skill since I like having open options when talking.

So far the NPC companions aren't very well balanced. A lot of them have attribute/skill point totals that don't quite add up to what you'd expect them to have. Angela leaves you so you can't really rely on her. I like using Rose since she comes with Handguns and Field Medic/Surgeon, along with decent INT. I found the miner dude and that guy at the Rail Camp, and the hobo. Didn't like any of them.

Brute Force is a good skill that you'll eventually want, but early on you can rely on Angela for it. Never found a real use for Animal Whisperer or Outdoorsman. If anything you could use one of the NPCs that come with it and equip a +2 skill trinket.

In terms of stats, if Luck doesn't penalize you harder in the real game I plan to keep it at 1. I might shuffle around some stats to get higher Combat Initiative, maybe take away from Charisma.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What exactly does toaster repair do? It looks like a trick thing to trick me into wasting points.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Toasters are analogous to locked chests. They're everywhere.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Jastiger posted:

What exactly does toaster repair do? It looks like a trick thing to trick me into wasting points.

It allows you to fix toasters you find in the wild. These toasters tend to have weird items in them that aren't classified as junk, but not classified as quest either. They're used for unmarked sidequests that can give you some decent rewards. Like that dude outside of the Ranger Citadel. One toaster will have a can of spray paint, and if you have it in your inventory when talking to him he'll ask for it, and give you something in return.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Eddain posted:

It allows you to fix toasters you find in the wild. These toasters tend to have weird items in them that aren't classified as junk, but not classified as quest either. They're used for unmarked sidequests that can give you some decent rewards. Like that dude outside of the Ranger Citadel. One toaster will have a can of spray paint, and if you have it in your inventory when talking to him he'll ask for it, and give you something in return.

Is -that- I turn it in? drat. I think I probably sold it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Syrant posted:

Is -that- I turn it in? drat. I think I probably sold it.

Yeah. Basically I keep anything that isn't explicitly junk and just talk to everyone I meet.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hand Row posted:

Makes me want to make a team of something like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, and the skill dump will just be me in video game form.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Makes me want to make a team of something like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, and the skill dump will just be me in video game form.

Your team is gonna be awesome!

Rambo!

Conan!

McCaine!

Fedoralord!

Hahah, maybe I'll import this for my own portrait: :smith:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

isk posted:

Toasters are analogous to locked chests. They're everywhere.

They're not really everywhere, I think in the entire beta I found somewhere around 9 or 10 of them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're not really everywhere, I think in the entire beta I found somewhere around 9 or 10 of them.

Was it cool stuff you got or is it just an old joke that only OG Bush Era Wastelanders will really appreciate?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah the skill was in 80's Wasteland. Broken Toasters were powerful ammo lootbags for engery cells and misc crap, but there was only 4 or so to find.
WL2 probably could have done without it, and put a toaster joke somewhere else in the game.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So if I'm a busy person (school, reading, writing) who doesn't have much time for video games anymore, but someone for whom fallout 3 and New Vegas were the greatest games of all time, should I get this? Can I play it a couple hours a week and enjoy it without being very good at it, just goofing off, or is it a game that requires some skill and time?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

blue squares posted:

So if I'm a busy person (school, reading, writing) who doesn't have much time for video games anymore, but someone for whom fallout 3 and New Vegas were the greatest games of all time, should I get this? Can I play it a couple hours a week and enjoy it without being very good at it, just goofing off, or is it a game that requires some skill and time?

Just going off the beta alone, if you crank the difficult down to easy - it should be a smooth ride, as far as I can tell.

It does however have a much different feel to F3 and F:NV, so watch some beta plays on youtube, and make up your own mind.

Seeing as the majority of us are backers of the kickstarter in this here thread, I fear that you'll only really get a bias opinion :p

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

blue squares posted:

The only thing this game shares with the new fallout games is it is set in a post apocalyptic world. If you have ever played fallout and fallout 2 it is much closer to those games.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Also, where the Fallouts draw a lot from a stylized '50s retro-future kinda aesthetic, Wasteland harks back to the pop-culture of '80s or even '70s and oh gently caress that sounds pretentious...

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

Also, where the Fallouts draw a lot from a stylized '50s retro-future kinda aesthetic, Wasteland harks back to the pop-culture of '80s or even '70s and oh gently caress that sounds pretentious...

I always thought a lot of the fallout stuff was inspired from the late 50's early 60's cold war.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

NiknudStunod posted:

I always thought a lot of the fallout stuff was inspired from the late 50's early 60's cold war.

Well, fallout was meant to be inspired by a 1950's science fiction universe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

'Retro-futurist' is the actual term, I believe.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I meant more of gameplay style than aesthetic. I know it's top down and party-based, not first person. I'm hoping it's more fun and goofy with interesting stories/encounters than about being a good tactician.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

blue squares posted:

I meant more of gameplay style than aesthetic. I know it's top down and party-based, not first person. I'm hoping it's more fun and goofy with interesting stories/encounters than about being a good tactician.

Fallout 3 and new vegas have more options for loving around and just wandering. WL3, from what I've played (about 2 hours of beta..saving myself for retail my body is ready) is more of a direct narrative RPG. you go to a hub and from there you can get quests and then go to a few other hubs, the structure reminded me a lot of old blackisle/bioware games. Which makes sense.

"Good for loving around a few hours a week" I am not sure. I guess that depends on how well the journaling system works as a refresher to what the gently caress you were doing, and why you were doing it. Which is my own issue with these types of games..Not 14 anymore :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

blue squares posted:

It's both? Play on easy and you'll just enjoy it. On Normal you do have to use some smart tactics for some fights. That said, it isn't as difficult as XCOM: Enemy Unknown in terms of combat and margins of error.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All right. Thanks, thread.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just got this now, figured I'd play a little in anticipation of the proper release. I'm sure this is something the thread has gone over at some point but: There are going to be more character appearance customization options, and more portrait options at launch right? Because holy poo poo is this character creator unsatisfying right now. 5 portrait options, and none of the chooseable hairpieces or face pieces match the portrait I want to use. With only 5 portraits there aught to be appearance options that match those 5 portraits, right?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 8, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LibbyM posted:

Just got this now, figured I'd play a little in anticipation of the proper release. I'm sure this is something the thread has gone over at some point but: There are going to be more character appearance customization options, and more portrait options at launch right? Because holy poo poo is this character creator unsatisfying right now. 5 portrait options, and none of the chooseable hairpieces or face pieces match the portrait I want to use. With only 5 portraits there aught to be appearance options that match those 5 portraits, right?

You can import custom portraits actually, just makes 256x256 pngs or jpgs, a few galleries of such have been posted recently.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You can import custom portraits actually, just makes 256x256 pngs or jpgs, a few galleries of such have been posted recently.

But what happened to the ones inXile had already made? There are so few now.

Are ingame characters using them all and they didn't want potential duplicates or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Drifter I think that's exactly what happened.

• Locked thread