Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

dino. posted:

Ginger cardamom simple syrup is rather easy to make and extremely delicious.

I'm going to make that for putting gin in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Cavenagh posted:

Are chicken nuggets so ubiquitous that brand new ovens need a setting just for them? Pizza, I can understand, but Chicken Nuggets?

BF and I went through a three month tortured quest for a range (I'm not making up the amount of time spent on this decision) and this one came up. Talk about staring into the abyss.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm going to make that for putting gin in.

Speaking of gin, Vegas was recently host to the owners of Whistling Andy Distillery and they make a spectacular cucumber gin. Tons of celery seed and peppercorn aroma - I said something about making a Bloody Mary with it and they said they do that pretty regularly. If you're in an area they distribute to I'd recommend them pretty heavily. They also make a distilled-beer spirit called Hopschnaps, and it's loving delicious. Nevada got a whole five bottles of it, so good luck finding it, but if you're at all a fan of craft beer it's a really interesting distillate. The hop bitterness is cooked off but the citrus/pine notes are well preserved.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bartolimu posted:

Speaking of gin, Vegas was recently host to the owners of Whistling Andy Distillery and they make a spectacular cucumber gin. Tons of celery seed and peppercorn aroma - I said something about making a Bloody Mary with it and they said they do that pretty regularly. If you're in an area they distribute to I'd recommend them pretty heavily. They also make a distilled-beer spirit called Hopschnaps, and it's loving delicious. Nevada got a whole five bottles of it, so good luck finding it, but if you're at all a fan of craft beer it's a really interesting distillate. The hop bitterness is cooked off but the citrus/pine notes are well preserved.

I'm not particularly near one of their distributors (I think; the three links for Oregon distributors are all dead or direct me to a Japanese page) but I'll keep an eye out. That sounds wonderful.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

bartolimu posted:

Pur liqueurs makes a similar distillate. It's a German thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Girl at work asked "What should I cook for dinner?"

Her husband is a giant child and will not eat:

Vegetables (other than potato)
Fish
Beans

Basically they eat Mac & Cheese, chicken nuggets, cheese quesadillas, and poo poo like that every day.

Every suggestion I made was shot down. Poor girl.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Did you suggest divorce?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Bob Morales posted:

Girl at work asked "What should I cook for dinner?"

Her husband is a giant child and will not eat:

Vegetables (other than potato)
Fish
Beans

Basically they eat Mac & Cheese, chicken nuggets, cheese quesadillas, and poo poo like that every day.

Every suggestion I made was shot down. Poor girl.

Just play the long game, eventually her husband will die from eating like that and you can swoop in.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sjurygg posted:

Did you suggest divorce?

It might be difficult to swallow.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have found a legitimate sufferer of gluten intolernace who is not a whiny food bitch. And she is my cousin. She had childhood leukemia, which badly hosed up her immune system, and while she loves wheat and gluten stuff, it makes her seriously ill. She makes up for her lack of bread by eating some serious other things, like kimchi and offal cuts of meat, and sorghum beer. She now works in a health food store, and is the go-to girl for everything gluten intolerance. You go, girl.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

On a recent flight to Norway there was an article about surstromming and it referred to a Greenland food (I hesitate to call it a delicacy) whereby auk are wrapped in seal skin and buried. After some time they are retrieved, unwrapped, the heads twisted off, and the liquified insides sucked out. So, Wiggles, how does that appeal?
It's kinda low on salt, but otherwise ok... They're not really buried, they're just placed under stones.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

It's kinda low on salt, but otherwise ok... They're not really buried, they're just placed under stones.

I saw Zimmerman eat some rotten fish cheeks with some natives in Alaska... they buried fish heads in a bag in the sand at mid tide, and then dug them up and ate them. The tribal elders were gleefully chowing down on them... while wearing rubber gloves to keep the smell off of their hands.

EDIT: stupid grammar.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 7, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Great link:

All The Comments on Every Recipe Blog

My favorite:

quote:

“I don’t eat white flour, so I tried making it with raw almonds that I’d activated by chewing them with my mouth open to receive direct sunlight, and it turned out terrible. This recipe is terrible.”

Yet again, the line between parody and reality is distressingly blurry.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Well in that case I'll have three. I always find that the liquified innards of just one auk is never enough.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Well in that case I'll have three. I always find that the liquified innards of just one auk is never enough.

Honestly - what most of the Greenlandic cuisine has to offer is... Well.. Singularily tasting, as in, yes - it is not really a fusion of flavor profiles, more the thing tasting of the thing..

Does that even make sense?

It is more a question of getting fats and proteins, mingled with the occasional starch (rare), when you're talking the original thing.

A seal liver straight from the seal tastes exactly like you would envision seal liver that is body temperature to do, only much more so...

Whale blubber tastes like you would envision it to, only more so.

Seal eye tastes like you'd think it would, only more so.

Reindeer small intestine content (you suck them, as far as I remember) tastes like grass smells, half digested, only more so..

And auk, well.. That tastes like auk..

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Here's a dumb joke.

Is it called an auk because that's the sound you make after you've eaten it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Honestly - what most of the Greenlandic cuisine has to offer is... Well.. Singularily tasting, as in, yes - it is not really a fusion of flavor profiles, more the thing tasting of the thing..

Does that even make sense?

It is more a question of getting fats and proteins, mingled with the occasional starch (rare), when you're talking the original thing.

A seal liver straight from the seal tastes exactly like you would envision seal liver that is body temperature to do, only much more so...

Whale blubber tastes like you would envision it to, only more so.

Seal eye tastes like you'd think it would, only more so.

Reindeer small intestine content (you suck them, as far as I remember) tastes like grass smells, half digested, only more so..

And auk, well.. That tastes like auk..

The essence of the taste, you mean?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

The essence of the taste, you mean?

Yes, but at the same time it is not a fusion or confusion of a multitude of flavours..

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nicol Bolas posted:

Counterpoint: picky eaters are whiny baby butts. I know people who are mildly allergic to stuff that they loving LOVE to eat and will just pop a benadryl and eat it anyway.

You ever notice how picky eaters are never like "oh I don't eat things that are deep fried" or "oh I don't eat desserts" or "oh I don't eat boneless skinless chicken breast?" Super weird, right? You'd think there'd be at least one guy who's like "No, I don't eat pizza, can you roast up some brussels sprouts?"

For a very long time as a kid, I hated pizza and taco bell. At the same time, I loved (and still do love) tuna seared so rare it's practically flopping.

Who knows?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Yes, but at the same time it is not a fusion or confusion of a multitude of flavours..

Indeed. Just the pure unadulterated flavour of liquified bird innards. Why would you want to mess with that taste?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

This is worse than yeast curds.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Drink and Fight posted:

This is worse than yeast curds.

What are you, some kind of picky eater?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bartolimu posted:

What are you, some kind of picky eater?

I just prefer distilled over fermented.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

dino. posted:

Ginger cardamom simple syrup is rather easy to make and extremely delicious.

Yeah, but where can I buy a bottle of it in the shape of an old lady?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sjurygg posted:

Did you suggest divorce?

They had pizza all weekend. On Sunday her mom brought her a chicken pot pie "WHICH I LOVED BECAUSE IT HAD ACTUAL VEGETABLES"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
One of the local dairies finally started distributing their milk by themselves instead of just sending it off to the regional distributor, and it's really fantastic. Went to pour some out of my half gallon jug this morning and a great big dollop of cream care out. :getin:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I know there's an Atlanta Goon in here.
MY WIFE (Borat) is there for a few days on bidness and it just occurred to me I should send her somewhere for good food.

Gunshow? How much does it cost and could she get in with a couple people in the next couple nights?

Heirloom Market BBQ? It sounds good. Where would be better?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Very Strange Things posted:

I know there's an Atlanta Goon in here.
MY WIFE (Borat) is there for a few days on bidness and it just occurred to me I should send her somewhere for good food.

Gunshow? How much does it cost and could she get in with a couple people in the next couple nights?

Heirloom Market BBQ? It sounds good. Where would be better?

There's an Atlanta thread just for this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459922&pagenumber=43#lastpost

Also, Atlanta is huge, so without knowing where your wife is in the city, we could be sending her off on an hour+ quest for decent food if she hits the wrong traffic. Where is she?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

There's an Atlanta thread just for this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459922&pagenumber=43#lastpost

Also, Atlanta is huge, so without knowing where your wife is in the city, we could be sending her off on an hour+ quest for decent food if she hits the wrong traffic. Where is she?

Ah, didn't realize there was a whole thread. Yeah, I don't want her on the highway at all down there. She'll be around some place called "Ponce City" -is that a place? She heard it might be a sketchy neighborhood. I thought that might mean a really good hole-in-the-wall kitchen somewhere.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Very Strange Things posted:

Ah, didn't realize there was a whole thread. Yeah, I don't want her on the highway at all down there. She'll be around some place called "Ponce City" -is that a place? She heard it might be a sketchy neighborhood. I thought that might mean a really good hole-in-the-wall kitchen somewhere.

Nah, I used to live near there. As with all places, there's a sketchy area and a non-sketchy area. She's close to Little Five Points, and could do worse than to check out:

• The Wrecking Bar Brewpub
  • The Vortex (Opinions are divided on whether the Vortex is good or not)
  • Java Jive (breakfast place)
  • Krog Street Market (I have no idea if it's open yet, but people in the ATL thread will know)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Safety Dance posted:

Nah, I used to live near there. As with all places, there's a sketchy area and a non-sketchy area. She's close to Little Five Points, and could do worse than to check out:

• The Wrecking Bar Brewpub
  • The Vortex (Opinions are divided on whether the Vortex is good or not)
  • Java Jive (breakfast place)
  • Krog Street Market (I have no idea if it's open yet, but people in the ATL thread will know)

Opinions are not divided on the Vortex. She'll love it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dinner last night: boxed mac and cheese
Lunch yesterday: noodles and company mac and cheese
Dinner previous night: stouffers mac and cheese
Lunch previous day: cheddar cheese soup with pasta.....
My diet is so restricting sometimes. At least they are all different brands.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I keep having to catch myself because I think these are shitposts from one of the regular goon groups I'm in :negative:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

GrAviTy84 posted:

The macaroni and cheese diet is very restrictive to be fair

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I kinda wanna touch the poop and make a breatharian post and then leave immediately.

"My picky eating has reached the point where I can no longer eat anything and I think I can survive on just breathing. At least the air doesn't have a funny texture or flavor."

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I wanted to touch the poop for a while by playing a transplant Asian who misses food from the homeland and is grossed out by all American food.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I wanted to touch the poop for a while by playing a transplant Asian who misses food from the homeland and is grossed out by all American food.

I like this angle a lot.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Opinions are not divided on the Vortex. She'll love it.

lol

opinions are certainly divided on the vortex. the place sucks oval office. it's a second class burger joint at best? and the servers treat you like assholes because it's their MO? you can find this restaurant in almost any american city, I certainly would never recommend it for someone visiting Atlanta. it's got 0% of the very small unique interest and draw Atlanta restaurants have.

gunshow is a good bet, but it has been hit or miss for me. check the atlanta thread and post a little summary of her timeframe, budget, mobility, etc, and I'm sure someone will help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Great link:

All The Comments on Every Recipe Blog

My favorite:

Yet again, the line between parody and reality is distressingly blurry.

All its missing is the word "hubby" and it'd be a perfect list.