Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This seems somewhat relevant to this discussion.

Wouldn't making the chaff ferromagnetic make it easier to remove? Or would that cause it's own issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kurieg posted:

This seems somewhat relevant to this discussion.

Wouldn't making the chaff ferromagnetic make it easier to remove? Or would that cause it's own issues.

Wouldn't that also make it easier for the target to remove it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Space is so vast that unless you have a good idea of where to be looking for trouble, I doubt two warships would even spot one another most of the time.

This guy here VVV

amanasleep posted:

I think the question of missiles vs. spacecraft is kind of a red herring. The question will be whether anti-missile detection and interdiction can beat them before they reach their target (even if the target is area denial). Any moving spacecraft will know this tactic and plot a cone in front of them that delimits the edge of the volume of space they cannot avoid passing through to avoid chaff. Theoretically they could have their own short range interceptor missiles already launched and coasting along their trajectory looking for enemy missiles, ready to prevent them from entering that cone. Additionally, anti-missile lasers could also defend that space, depending on the limits of laser range vs. the speed of the space craft. With sufficient range and detection, spacecraft would be able to interdict and destroy enemy missiles before they could deploy their payloads.

Is right. I already mentioned remote telemetry; with the distances involved tracking all the objects that might be relevant to your ship will be a task beyond the sensors package you could reasonably include on one ship. Better to have automated sensor platforms that can see things for you. It's not much of a leap to suggest that ships might deploy their own robot spacecraft on a cruise for defense or sensing. You'd have to collect them before making a course correction or leave them behind, though, which would complicate evasive maneuvers. Sufficient range and detection is the keyword in your last sentence, since these are all theoretical capabilities it's impossible to know how offense and defense would stack up against each other.

Revdomezehis posted:

I think the real problem with this as a future weapon is just that it would be the space equivalent of a WMD. Works amazing, but after you use it in an area, no one, including your own forces, could travel through it unless you found some way to clean it all up. And since we're talking about actual chaff, finding every piece of it, or even just 95% of it would be a monumental task, not to mention actually cleaning it all up.

Basically I'm sure space chaff missiles would be the first thing banned under any space war treaty thing.

Not necessarily! I've actually simplified things a little in how I talked about the chaff weapon. The chaff cloud itself will probably be moving at a substantial clip relative to the target's trajectory. Slowing your missile down to "sit" in the target's path would be impractical and probably impossible, and there's no real reason to do so. You're still very much hitting your target with the cloud of chaff, sort of like a shrapnel burst from your average AA missile, except everything is operating under Newton's laws. The distinction is that while you may technically be hitting the target with your chaff, your target hitting the chaff is what kills it. To give a crude analogy, it's like a bird hitting a plane. The bird may have hit the plane, but the plane's energy is vastly more important in the interaction. Besides, relativity tells us that this is a distinction without a difference.

So, the upshot is that the chaff cloud isn't going to stay at the target coordinates. In the absence of a nearby gravity well it will keep going on the missile's trajectory and end up god knows where, perhaps to circle the sun forever or disperse or perhaps to ruin somebody's day 3000 years in the future. A few months or years after firing I doubt there's a supercomputer on earth that could hope to predict the particles' position. So, that sounds worse, maybe, but it definitely won't just hang around at the target coordinates. If it's not fired in deep interplanetary space then it will be captured by the nearest gravity well in a more predictable way. Hope it's not Earth. Maybe there would be a treaty regarding the use of such weapons in firing solutions that would leave the payload near Earth's orbit, and use in Earth orbit would definitely be banned.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 10, 2014

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

omg

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nice post/avatar combo.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

This guy here VVV

Is right. I already mentioned remote telemetry; with the distances involved tracking all the objects that might be relevant to your ship will be a task beyond the sensors package you could reasonably include on one ship. Better to have automated sensor platforms that can see things for you. It's not much of a leap to suggest that ships might deploy their own robot spacecraft on a cruise for defense or sensing. You'd have to collect them before making a course correction or leave them behind, though, which would complicate evasive maneuvers. Sufficient range and detection is the keyword in your last sentence, since these are all theoretical capabilities it's impossible to know how offense and defense would stack up against each other.

Not necessarily! I've actually simplified things a little in how I talked about the chaff weapon. The chaff cloud itself will probably be moving at a substantial clip relative to the target's trajectory. Slowing your missile down to "sit" in the target's path would be impractical and probably impossible, and there's no real reason to do so. You're still very much hitting your target with the cloud of chaff, sort of like a shrapnel burst from your average AA missile, except everything is operating under Newton's laws. The distinction is that while you may technically be hitting the target with your chaff, your target hitting the chaff is what kills it. To give a crude analogy, it's like a bird hitting a plane. The bird may have hit the plane, but the plane's energy is vastly more important in the interaction. Besides, relativity tells us that this is a distinction without a difference.

So, the upshot is that the chaff cloud isn't going to stay at the target coordinates. In the absence of a nearby gravity well it will keep going on the missile's trajectory and end up god knows where, perhaps to circle the sun forever or disperse or perhaps to ruin somebody's day 3000 years in the future. A few months or years after firing I doubt there's a supercomputer on earth that could hope to predict the particles' position. So, that sounds worse, maybe, but it definitely won't just hang around at the target coordinates. If it's not fired in deep interplanetary space then it will be captured by the nearest gravity well in a more predictable way. Hope it's not Earth. Maybe there would be a treaty regarding the use of such weapons in firing solutions that would leave the payload near Earth's orbit, and use in Earth orbit would definitely be banned.

Hm, I wonder if making the chaff out of bioplastics that have a slow but definite disintegration rate in the presence of cosmic rays would solve the long term debris problem...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

amanasleep posted:

Hm, I wonder if making the chaff out of bioplastics that have a slow but definite disintegration rate in the presence of cosmic rays would solve the long term debris problem...

If you turn 10kg of space bioplastic projectiles into 10kg of fertilizer, you've still got 10kg of space poo poo moving at relativistic speeds.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, without an ecosystem to actually consume the waste, all you're doing is making the chaff even harder to detect.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Someone in the aliens thread suggested using a plastic net that would contract to a much smaller size after impact, either using material with such a property or using some kind of active system to do it. The intact part, that is, the part that impacted the target would be destroyed.

The target's debris is its own issue, however, since it has the same mass, trajectory, and velocity, but no longer has the ability to maneuver or slow down. Hopefully it was pointed somewhere safe when you shot it.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
With all this space defence talk, it seems we're wandering into XCOM:Interceptor territory.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
You guys sure are going very deep into a game where you shoot aliens with guys who cut their limbs off to replace them with robot limbs

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I enjoy spacewar wankery as much as anybody but if you seriously think humanity will survive long enough to get to that point if we're still doing stuff like having wars then just lol

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

my dad posted:

If you turn 10kg of space bioplastic projectiles into 10kg of fertilizer, you've still got 10kg of space poo poo moving at relativistic speeds.

Good point, but I was thinking that there were some processes that would result in plastics biodegrading to a form that sublimates in space environments.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just use lumps of CO ice.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

goatface posted:

Just use lumps of CO ice.

Or water ice, if you're fighting near Earth. But yeah, that seems like the best solution.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I found something some guy wrote on the internet that seems like it might be relevant to the discussion:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
An interesting short article in case anyone is still wondering why chaff would cause so much damage.

http://www.wired.com/2009/03/shuttledata/

^-- not at anywhere near relativistic speeds

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
If anyone wants to play 'space-in-space' combat and aren't turned off by boardgames, Attack Vector: Tactical is something to consider.

Its hard sci-fi in a near future setting.

By all accounts it's also really boring since you can play for 3 hours with 1 ship a player and end up with a draw when your relative velocities diverge so much that you leave engagement range.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Z the IVth posted:

If anyone wants to play 'space-in-space' combat and aren't turned off by boardgames, Attack Vector: Tactical is something to consider.

By all accounts it's also really boring since you can play for 3 hours with 1 ship a player and end up with a draw when your relative velocities diverge so much that you leave engagement range.

I remember playing a demo of it years ago one PenguiCon. It's boring as hell, but from a design perspective it's pretty interesting because they put in a lot of effort to at least attempt to make it playable, considering.

If I remember correctly, they either already had or were planning on releasing a variant version using the setting from the Honor Harrington books.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Chard posted:

I enjoy spacewar wankery as much as anybody but if you seriously think humanity will survive long enough to get to that point if we're still doing stuff like having wars then just lol

We won't even get out of this decade, so I doubt there's much point to this TFR-lite stuff.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Humanity will be fine, like it always has been. Just because you're alive right now doesn't make it any more important than other points in history.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

it's more important to ME.

Since it's the only one I'm living in.

Space Debris is the true legacy of spacewar.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Combat simulations are inherently boring because real life combat involves a lot of sitting around and waiting. Naval combat simulations even moreso.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Veloxyll posted:

it's more important to ME.

Since it's the only one I'm living in.

Space Debris is the true legacy of spacewar.

Existentialism, the final frontier.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

Combat simulations are inherently boring because real life combat involves a lot of sitting around and waiting. Naval combat simulations even moreso.

This man speaks the truth. And there's nothing like playing a combat simulator that can take several hours just for you to die near the end of the mission, just so you can do it all over again.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Roar posted:

You guys sure are going very deep into a game where you shoot aliens with guys who cut their limbs off to replace them with robot limbs

you mean punch aliens.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
This is exactly why I'm so adamant about the fact that science makes stuff not cool, at least from a cinematic sense. Blast a dude three feet away with a shotgun? He's not gonna fly back six feet over a railing for a sweet rear end kill. He will fall down where he is or maybe stumble a short distance away. Dogfighting in space is cool. Troopers shooting red laser beams is awesome. Cutting up an alien with a sword that is also a chainsaw because you're in a melee because it looks cool, not because it is in any way practical, is fuckin' rad as hell. Being on watch for 3 months before taking sporadic fire from an enemy force and returning fire at them without ever really seeing them is realistic as hell, but not very cool.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is exactly why I'm so adamant about the fact that science makes stuff not cool, at least from a cinematic sense. Blast a dude three feet away with a shotgun? He's not gonna fly back six feet over a railing for a sweet rear end kill. He will fall down where he is or maybe stumble a short distance away. Dogfighting in space is cool. Troopers shooting red laser beams is awesome. Cutting up an alien with a sword that is also a chainsaw because you're in a melee because it looks cool, not because it is in any way practical, is fuckin' rad as hell. Being on watch for 3 months before taking sporadic fire from an enemy force and returning fire at them without ever really seeing them getting killed by a bullet out of loving no-where is realistic as hell, but not very cool.

On the other hand, if you shoot the same dude with a bullet that is also a rocket, you could send him flying backwards.
Ditto if it explodes.

Space ship dogfighting depends on how effective defensive technologies get. For instance, if you get a deflector shield that can just shove chaff debris out of the way...and/or long range point defense to eliminate equally long ranged ordinance, then space battles become who can throw more gigawatts into the other dude faster.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Bullets that are rockets, like everything else that sounds cool, are actually loving terrible bullets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

E: one problem with rocket bullets is they start out slow, making them less lethal at shorter ranges. Shooting a guy right next to you with one would not likely kill him.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 11, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

And this is why Warhammer 40k combat takes place over ranges of approximately 100m or less.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
To apply this to X-Com, I think the reason the aliens stick to mostly ground combat with a little bit of atmospheric dogfighting is that they've signed space treaties that limit the amount of combat they're allowed to do from space. Too many space wars have left planets shattered from orbital bombardments, with their orbits clogged with a thick cloud of debris.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

To indulge a little, my favorite space-fantasy tech is the shields from this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye. Basically they're spheres of pure absorption fields that turn anything that hits them into stored heat, which slowly radiates into the void. This means that as ships take fire they go from utter blackness up through the rainbow until they go pure white and release all that energy like a bomb. It's a great book, go read it.

Hardly less realistic than some of the ideas being posted in here.

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 11, 2014

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ponzicar posted:

To apply this to X-Com, I think the reason the aliens stick to mostly ground combat with a little bit of atmospheric dogfighting is that they've signed space treaties that limit the amount of combat they're allowed to do from space. Too many space wars have left planets shattered from orbital bombardments, with their orbits clogged with a thick cloud of debris.

I'd explain why that is probably not the case and how the game all but explains the ground stuff, but that mostly gets into spoiler/sequel speculation territory.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Aren't people underestimating the sheer size of space when it comes to chaff? The odds of a chaff weapon randomly hitting anything else than its intended target seem miniscule, unless you're deliberately saturating a planet's orbit with flying crap.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AnoHito posted:

I'd explain why that is probably not the case and how the game all but explains the ground stuff, but that mostly gets into spoiler/sequel speculation territory.

I think Shen or Bradford already mentioned that the aliens must have some ulterior motive, since their technology means that they could just glass any city they want from orbit and there's jack poo poo we could do about it. (Paraphrasing).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

StoryTime posted:

Aren't people underestimating the sheer size of space when it comes to chaff? The odds of a chaff weapon randomly hitting anything else than its intended target seem miniscule, unless you're deliberately saturating a planet's orbit with flying crap.

If you miss with a kinetic weapon in space, it WILL gently caress up someone's day somewhere down the line. Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.

The principle also applies to energy weapons as well, although they tend to be much safer (in terms of collateral damage) to just saturate an area with.

Although on a more serious note, most space traffic currently launches into roughly the same orbital plane, meaning anything put in that plane has a good chance of encountering something else.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Space ship dogfighting depends on how effective defensive technologies get. For instance, if you get a deflector shield that can just shove chaff debris out of the way...and/or long range point defense to eliminate equally long ranged ordinance, then space battles become who can throw more gigawatts into the other dude faster.

At the kind of speeds necessary to make interstellar dogfighting feasible, a deflector shield isn't a defensive technology so much as a pre-requisite for even getting to the drat battle in the first place. Even travel within a solar system (e.g., Earth to Saturn) requires you to be traveling at something like 1/100th of light-speed to make the trip in any remotely reasonable time. And at that speed, even microscopic fragments of random asteroids/debris/whatever are hitting your hull with a hell of a lot of force, even though they don't have quite the intentional hatred of someone shooting directly at you.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Dareon posted:

Although on a more serious note, most space traffic currently launches into roughly the same orbital plane, meaning anything put in that plane has a good chance of encountering something else.

This is not true. Aside from geo satellites, which are roughly aligned with the earth's equatorial plane, leo, meo and heo satellites orbit in a wide variety of planes. Leo objects in their totality are most accurately pictured as a shell, not a ring.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Despite this, all the objects we've put in orbit are covered in spaceman poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Prison Warden posted:

I think Shen or Bradford already mentioned that the aliens must have some ulterior motive, since their technology means that they could just glass any city they want from orbit and there's jack poo poo we could do about it. (Paraphrasing).

they note this even because of the destruction they cause during a Terror Mission. If they wanted to they could just do that constantly instead of abductions and stuff.

• Locked thread