Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Maxmaps posted:

Also, this is all stock now.

Oh hell yes bomb bays. Being able to drop a bomb rover from a spaceplane is going to be sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

As someone who plants a flag in every biome I visit: please forward my thanks as well, because such a small change can make a huge difference.

Seriously. I would have never thought to bug anyone about this but man am I glad that this is happening.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Atlatl posted:

The atmospheric scoops definitely work when you're not watching, it's just that you have to refocus on them in order to update the amount of karbonite they have. I have four that I left running and when I came back they were all full up.

Sweet, that definitely wasn't the case last time I played. Time to update Karbonite!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Could someone please link Karbonite?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Inacio posted:

Producer-san please understand

This is really needed

I would very much beg to differ

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Asproigerosis posted:

I would very much beg to differ

Godspeed you beautiful flag you.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

FlyingCheese posted:

Oh hell yes bomb bays. Being able to drop a bomb rover from a spaceplane is going to be sweet.

Time to recreate the Normandy dropping a Mako. :jeb::legion:

e: Is there any fix out there for the right-click issue in 64 bit?

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 10, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How do you stabilize VTOL like with FTT or even some stock monstrosity ? Should I just be using a poo poo ton of torque wheels etc ?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tenebrais posted:

You want this thing. Between it and OKS all of the basic EPL functions are performed by modules that fit with RoverDude's aesthetics. I've stripped out all the EPL parts besides the recycle bins (not replicated by anything else) and the basic launchpad (which I think actually looks pretty nice and is needed anyway).

Oh fffffffuck poo poo just got real.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maxmaps posted:

Also, this is all stock now.

Are you about to fire an SRB out of an internal bay like a missile at KSC? :raise:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
So I finally started my new hopefully permanent game until 0.25 rolls around now that pretty much all addons are up to date. I'm one of those fortunate enough to run 64 bit without a hitch so I've pretty much just piling on the addons, which is great.

Some addon PSAs:
  • This new(er?) addon manager is pretty great - much easier to use then the other .NET based one. It has a much simpler, more straight-forward UI and it can check when addons are updated based on, ideally Curse or Github (in which case it can download the new release itself), OR, if that isn't possible, it simply checks when a KSP Forums OP has been edited, which is delightfully clever and effective. When it's time to update it will just pop open a browser window for you to to find the download link yourself. It's just such a practical solution to a PITA problem until everyone settles on and adopts a better standard.
  • I thought Ferram's ISP difficulty scaler was for the same sort of :sperg:-y hyper-realism school of though as RealFuels & friends (which is interesting in theory but un-loving-usable in practice), but not, it's actually very straight forward and reasonable. For the first time ever I'm actually designing my rockets carefully and getting to orbit is actually quite a challenge. All without making Kerbin comedically large and/or installing RealSolarSystems. Surprisingly fun.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Maxmaps posted:

I don't know anything about code but I can ask things pretty please of the people who do now. Thanks being forwarded.

How does this relationship work between you and Harv? Before the game got as big, he used to act in a similar capacity to the way you do now, talking to the community, explaining what was going, etc. Now that you're coming in with the community feedback, is their a weird dynamic because it was originally his project (and still pretty much is)? Who has the final say? Or do you have some sort of battle royale system when you disagree?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
What's the current best Hubble style orbital telescope mod with fully transmittable science?

I thought the one in DMagic was that, but it turns out it's more like a celestial body focused Key Hole type. (Which I realize is ironic considering the Hubble was based on Key Hole tech.)

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Do you guys like slow ships? How about really big ships? Isn't it great when they can be both?

Bonus: nuclear powered

Edit: It's at this point that I'm not sure these radiators will be enough. :ohdear:

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 10, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sorry to bring back the Majiirchat, but this still bugs me

quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE: You should NOT attempt to adapt the old code by reverse-engineering the new library, for several reasons. The first is that the GeodesicGrid license specifically forbids reverse engineering in jurisdictions where that's possible. The second is that even in places where it's allowed anyway (like the European Union), the new grid library may be subject to patent restrictions.

Why would anyone even try to reverse engineer this new dll when Majiir has to publish the source code anyway?
And why is Majiir afraid enough of anyone trying to do it to threaten people with patent law (which probably isn't even applicable in Europe)?

Does the compiled dll do anything that's not in the published sourcecode? :tinfoil:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Longbaugh01 posted:

What's the current best Hubble style orbital telescope mod with fully transmittable science?

I thought the one in DMagic was that, but it turns out it's more like a celestial body focused Key Hole type. (Which I realize is ironic considering the Hubble was based on Key Hole tech.)

Cacteye is pretty good if you don't mind bloating your parts list a little bit. It's even compatible with KAS so you can swap out experiments.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Tamba posted:

Why would anyone even try to reverse engineer this new dll when Majiir has to publish the source code anyway?
And why is Majiir afraid enough of anyone trying to do it to threaten people with patent law (which probably isn't even applicable in Europe)?

Does the compiled dll do anything that's not in the published sourcecode? :tinfoil:

A quick sniff with a decompiler would establish that. Though I expect it's less a case of some nefarious back door code that uses your PC as an illegal photo host for k-pop stars, and more that he wanted to be able to say 'hey! um.. guys! we're 'open source' too!' without actually, you know, being open source.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

It's done. Should be in tomorrow's QA build.

Edit: Also filter has flag tracking off as a default option.

Thank you and whoever has anything to do with it so much! :worship:

e:

Luneshot posted:

Cacteye is pretty good if you don't mind bloating your parts list a little bit. It's even compatible with KAS so you can swap out experiments.

Whenever someone says "part list bloating" I have to do my civic duty and remind everyone that this mod exists and if you use mods that add any parts you should use this (and even if you don't, the filters are great for stock too): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35018-0-24-2-PartCatalog-3-0-RC7-(2014-08-18)

marumaru fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 10, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Parts catalog filters are okayish, but the tagging sucks ducks.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Looks like KerbalStuff is down in either the most unfortunate coincidence ever (well, other than the one about Franz Ferdinand and the sandwich that led to his assassination and the start of WWI), or Majiir pulled the plug.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

RoverDude posted:

Looks like KerbalStuff is down in either the most unfortunate coincidence ever (well, other than the one about Franz Ferdinand and the sandwich that led to his assassination and the start of WWI), or Majiir pulled the plug.

Noticed that earlier. Technical issues, or tantrum?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there any kind of mod/api besides the modding api that lets you control engines individually? So you could have different thrust from each engine programmatically ?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Iridium posted:

Noticed that earlier. Technical issues, or tantrum?

Forecast has a good chance of "tantrum". And yay, more Majiirchat!

SirCmpwn posted:

Question. Curse has ads. Curse uses these ads to share some revenue with modders. It's for this reason that some mods like MechJeb won't be coming to Kerbal Stuff any time soon.

Is there any interest in letting modders optionally show ads on their mod listings and giving them 100% of the revenue from them?

Majiir posted:

There will be no ads on any mod site I host.

SirCmpwn posted:

I attempted to speak with you privately about this so you could save face, but you haven't responded to my queries.

We've talked about you issuing ultimatums, and it's not acceptable. We work on Kerbal Stuff together as equals or we don't work together at all. If you had simply asked, I value your opinion enough to say "okay" and drop it there. Do not push your influence further.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

Parts catalog filters are okayish, but the tagging sucks ducks.

Do you mean autotag? If yes, you can also manually tag stuff

eth0.n posted:

And yay, more Majiirchat!

Kerbal Space Program & Maijir Discussion Thread: Hardware Rich Combustion

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Splode posted:

How does this relationship work between you and Harv? Before the game got as big, he used to act in a similar capacity to the way you do now, talking to the community, explaining what was going, etc. Now that you're coming in with the community feedback, is their a weird dynamic because it was originally his project (and still pretty much is)? Who has the final say? Or do you have some sort of battle royale system when you disagree?

We both do BJJ so we throw down the mat and first to tap concedes the point.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Tamba posted:

Stop negotiating with terrorists.

Once a source has proven it can't be trusted, you stop allowing their code on your system. Full stop.

Maxmaps posted:

We both do BJ [...] and first to tap concedes the point

:jebstare:

Well that's an unfortunate shorthand.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Man, all these recommended mods sure make loading the game take forever. I'm talking 20+ minutes here. I think I need more than 8 gigs of ram.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Tamba posted:

Except he really is replacing that dll - it is in fact gone from the master branch already so if you compile Kethane form HEAD all the dlls are GPL (though the assets are still closed), which is TBH as good as you can get without digging up the original artists.

It was probably an entirely silly concern for him to worry about the patent implications for geodesic grid drawing (because even though US software patents are handed out like candy, enforcement isn't), but I'm guess Majiir is still young / learning the ropes and on the spergier side (like he legit comes off as someone "on the spectrum") - but this is just how nerds learn how to people: slowly and painfully and under duress only.

So I still think he really is trying to make things better he's just handling it in a really ham-fisted way. Like the fact that he wants to just pony up the (not insignificant btw) AWS fees to host KerbalStuff without ads is basically a super-nice thing, but shoving it in the face of other contributors more than counter-acts that.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Trivia posted:

Man, all these recommended mods sure make loading the game take forever. I'm talking 20+ minutes here. I think I need more than 8 gigs of ram.

RAM won't help - it is the act of loading all that poo poo into RAM that is being slow. Having more room to load into won't make that go any faster. Most likely you're CPU bound (KSP is the biggest CPU hog ever, it's like the only thing that can out-hog Sim City 4). Drive read speed may be an issue too but at 20 minutes I really doubt it's making up a big portion of that - so upgrade your CPU before you get an SSD.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I have a Karbonite collector in Kerbin orbit with a converter. There's an empty fuel tank on there, but it's just the Rockomax 16, and there are a LOT more Karbonite tanks. When the fuel tank fills up does the converter just pause until it has more tank to fill? I was thinking of docking ships to it, having them pull fuel out of the tank while the converter is simultaneously putting new fuel into the tank, will that actually work?

PS Karbonite is the dog's balls

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

stuart scott irl posted:

I have a Karbonite collector in Kerbin orbit with a converter. There's an empty fuel tank on there, but it's just the Rockomax 16, and there are a LOT more Karbonite tanks. When the fuel tank fills up does the converter just pause until it has more tank to fill? I was thinking of docking ships to it, having them pull fuel out of the tank while the converter is simultaneously putting new fuel into the tank, will that actually work?

PS Karbonite is the dog's balls

I had the same setup with a low kerbin orbit collector / gas station. When the tank is full the converter just stops. If it's converting while fuel is transferring out it will just keep pushing, no worries. Works quite well.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Well sweet then, I'm sending one of these to Jool and Eve while I'm at it

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

revdrkevind posted:

:jebstare:

Well that's an unfortunate shorthand.

Being serious, it's Harv's game so all final calls are obviously his. He respects my opinion after I proved myself via over a year of being helpful and bringing ideas to the table even when it wasn't my job at all (shoutout to things picked up in a hypercompetitive corporate environment) so I thankfully get a lot of say on what goes on.

On the communicating to the community deal, well, as you guys prolly noticed the KSP fandom has grown explosively (:haw:) for a while now. Somehow the community managed to keep its niceness going on, but overall we also got way noisier and closer to general internet discourse. Thus, communicating with them got way harder to do without fueling storms and blowing expectations way out of proportion.

Our devs are regular nerdy people. They can take criticism but not so much the full brunt of the internet. So they're more than happy to let someone close to the project who has a background in talking for a living and has been on the internet's worst parts since the early 00's take care of the whole communicating deal.

The last bit tends to frustrate some people, average troll's used to devs blocking them or crying foul at being sent an internet death threat, while I'm more on the 'laugh, then grade on creativity' boat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Being serious, it's Harv's game so all final calls are obviously his. He respects my opinion after I proved myself via over a year of being helpful and bringing ideas to the table even when it wasn't my job at all (shoutout to things picked up in a hypercompetitive corporate environment) so I thankfully get a lot of say on what goes on.

On the communicating to the community deal, well, as you guys prolly noticed the KSP fandom has grown explosively (:haw:) for a while now. Somehow the community managed to keep its niceness going on, but overall we also got way noisier and closer to general internet discourse. Thus, communicating with them got way harder to do without fueling storms and blowing expectations way out of proportion.

Our devs are regular nerdy people. They can take criticism but not so much the full brunt of the internet. So they're more than happy to let someone close to the project who has a background in talking for a living and has been on the internet's worst parts since the early 00's take care of the whole communicating deal.

The last bit tends to frustrate some people, average troll's used to devs blocking them or crying foul at being sent an internet death threat, while I'm more on the 'laugh, then grade on creativity' boat.

Truly you are the producer we need, not the producer we want.

You should probably consider writing a book on how2people4indiedevs.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME
I'm looking for a mod, but I just can't seem to find it. I could swear that a week ago I saw a mod that let you change the order of the parts in each tab so you could re-organize everything yourself. So for instance, if I wanted all of the engines at the top of the propulsion tab, I could just move all of them to the top of the list so they were clustered together.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about/know a mod that would let me do this? Many thanks!

edit: of course I immediately find it, cool

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92511-0-24-2-PartArranger-1-1-Arrange-your-part-list-however-you-want!

triad fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 10, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Inacio posted:

Do you mean autotag? If yes, you can also manually tag stuff

The manual tagging is the problem, really. If you want to sort by anything other than the folder the parts are contained in it's laborious and often outright doesn't work.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Apparently the reason KerbalStuff is down is due to Majiir rage-quitting and deleting everything, from IRC:

quote:

<SirCmpwn> watching a progress bar that is busy restoring kerbal stuff to full strength
<SirCmpwn> stupid me didn't back up the SSL cert before Majiir ragequit
<SirCmpwn> so that'll take a while

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Zaran posted:

Apparently the reason KerbalStuff is down is due to Majiir rage-quitting and deleting everything, from IRC:

Wow, who could have seen this coming from such a towering pillar of the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Zaran posted:

What a shocking and completely unexpected turn of events. How could nobody have seen any warning signs at all?

• Locked thread