Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingShiro posted:

(I guess it doesn't matter if you're already playing these on ggpo)
Actually it does because those versions have more characters, balance/game speed changes, and reworked move lists compared to the original arcade versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Look at all those extra characters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Fighters_2002

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's at least five Kyos.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Has Geese, rest of the roster doesn't matter.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Calling it now - no netcode

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pomp posted:

Calling it now - no netcode

SNK has a pretty good track record so far with their PC ports. Hell, even Metal Slug 3 has netplay. I think there's a solid chance that they'll both have online multiplayer.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Probably bad netcode, but Im certainly buying either way. Hopefully if this does well we can get more of their back catalog on Steam. Id be super willing to buy Garou and Real Bout Special all over again.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
As much as I don't like UM version of those two games, I'll still get it, because they're still fun and Maxima has a DP and Battle Formation super in that version.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I suddenly wanna reminisce about a time when SNK netcode was considered good. On original Xbox their games had some of the best fighting game netcode, pretty much only beat out by DOA2U. Of course this was in the days when a half-second of lag in 3rd Strike was considered good, but still!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Very important question: Did 02UM do anything about Eolith's completely poo poo soundtrack

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
So since the #R joke steam release has brought Guilty Gear into the limelight, I figured this'd be relevant. My SO and I just finally got a PS3 to catch up on some games we never got the chance to play, and number one on my list was GGXXAC+R (oh how I love typing GG titles) since I've always adored the Guilty Gear aesthetic and literally never gotten to play it in any real capacity beyond getting my rear end handed to me on GGPO a couple times. So I jumped in and put in a few hours with May in training mode, since she'll be in Xrd too, and decided to go online to get my rear end handed to me. But there was only one dude for one round and then no one else to play. Is that just how it's gonna be? Like, I love the game and would love to play it, but is it just dead? Are there any anime games that people actually play online (BlazBlue, P4A, UNIEL?), or is the genre pretty much relegated to niche gatherings?

Also I'm Isson19 on PSN if anyone wants to play heavy metal anime fight games with me.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
yea 2k2 um has a new soundtrack (at least partially so), mostly remixes of older songs (like a super badass remix of Desert Requiem)

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Doulos posted:

Like, I love the game and would love to play it, but is it just dead? Are there any anime games that people actually play online (BlazBlue, P4A, UNIEL?), or is the genre pretty much relegated to niche gatherings?

#r on wingdreams is the closest you're gonna get to a decent GG community online. +R netcode is noticeably worse even compared to the minimum 4 frame delay for #r and anyone who takes the game seriously plays it locally. However, this is mostly limited to the GG series and BB/UNIEL are still active online. Can't speak for p4a as it is now but the sequel is coming out in a few weeks and that will be popular for a bit (and kill some of the other anime games playerbase). If you're desperate for animes I'd personally recommend #r, uniel, or waiting for xrd.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
UNIEL still has a lot of people online. No one is really planning to play P4U2; ArcSys players are still all over BlazBlue.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
Huh, I was at Arcade UFO in Austin last weekend and they were running UNIEL ranbats, game looked pretty cool. Did a little research online, this game looks amazing! And there's tons of info on it! That was actually a bit of a stumbling block for me playing Guilty, with all the revisions, it was really hard to find any kind of fundamental from the ground up tutorials and info, everything was basically "Here's what changed from the last revision." UNIEL looks like a super fun game to get into, especially with a local scene. What's the best way to go about getting the game? Some places say to buy it off the Hong Kong PSN, is that still a good idea?

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
On that note, for anyone interested in Guilty Gear, there was a tutorial for Accent Core released in the past 2 years that covers the basic systems and mechanics. A lot of it is applicable to Xrd too, except for some XX stuff like FRCs and impossible dusts (replaced by YRCs and Corner 6D combos respectively), and some AC/+R specific stuff, mainly force breaks and slashbacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I83GsQGg6U

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As well, you may want to look at something (slightly) more recent like what Klaige puts out. He does some good match analysis, and covers a pretty wide range of topics. And he doesn't ask for ten thousand US dollars to make an entry level video tutorial series.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Here is a video from the Guilty Bits guys that details the Yellow Cancel mechanics for Xrd!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Considering buying a PS3 for Xrd :shepicide:

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Pomp posted:

Considering buying a PS3 for Xrd :shepicide:

Hell, I did the same thing, but a PS4

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
May Lee owns, and her team has a cool theme in UM:
http://youtu.be/-D3E3XhwuNk?list=PLC278DF8FEB46D519

Agent Team has a sweet James Bond-esque intro:
http://youtu.be/LKWRnIWFnYk?list=PLC278DF8FEB46D519

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah i really liked the style of music in UM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of Guilty Gear, does anyone remember that video of that crazy Sol player who'd do things like Bandit Bringer 20 times in a row?

EDIT: Also the UM music owned.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Endorph posted:

Speaking of Guilty Gear, does anyone remember that video of that crazy Sol player who'd do things like Bandit Bringer 20 times in a row?

it was kusoru

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there used to be a guy named shineya (or something along those lines) who played at mikado, there are no videos of him anymore but he hadthe same goofy playstyle as kusuro, only he played slayer

hed do stuff like dandy sep frc x3 then dash in bite, do bites from ful screen, super jump around with qcb p a lot, or just do mixups that made no sense and hed win a ton. also he played the purple color, because of course.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
KoF01 was one of the jankiest games in the series (and that says a lot), but drat if a lot of the characters it introduced were pretty cool and we're never going to see them again due to copyright issues.

I just want to see Angel drop the people's elbow in KoF14

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I got my TE2 stick today!

The thing is slicker than slick! The buttons are very sensitive and holy poo poo is it quiet. You don't hear any key presses and the stick itself makes only minor confirmation clicks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Big preview thing for new gun girl Elphelt in Xrd and how she works, plus some Sin info. Sin can be unlocked without buying the DLC by purchasing him with in-game "W$" bucks, but after P4 Arena I'm guessing it'll take so much of it that you'll just pay the $2.50 real money to skip that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If someone hasn't seen Kusoru's MvC performance at FR15:
http://youtu.be/wjsJOQfO_X4

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Al Borland posted:

I got my TE2 stick today!

The thing is slicker than slick! The buttons are very sensitive and holy poo poo is it quiet. You don't hear any key presses and the stick itself makes only minor confirmation clicks.

soooo loving jealous.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

Big preview thing for new gun girl Elphelt in Xrd and how she works, plus some Sin info. Sin can be unlocked without buying the DLC by purchasing him with in-game "W$" bucks, but after P4 Arena I'm guessing it'll take so much of it that you'll just pay the $2.50 real money to skip that.

I dunno, I doubt ArcSys is going to make him that hard to unlock. It'll probably just cost as much as one trip through the story mode takes, that what it usually is.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

They did something similar with Chronophantasma, where one of the characters could be bought as DLC or unlocked by completely clearing the story mode, though knowing blazblue's convoluted story that has to be a herculean task

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The story mode for GG has kind of always been short and simple though, this one looks like more of the same from the screens we've been seeing. Although, thanks to the new 3D style there are actual cutscenes now, which is very nice.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
It appears that madcatz.com got owned; anybody know what's up with that? No mention of it on their twitter, but madcatz.com is definitely not what it should be.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Looks like it was hacked by YunusIncredibl

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

mango gay touchies posted:

They did something similar with Chronophantasma, where one of the characters could be bought as DLC or unlocked by completely clearing the story mode, though knowing blazblue's convoluted story that has to be a herculean task

Unlocking Kagura takes about an hour if you autoskip all the dialogue, turn on Stylish and turbo the A button. You have to dodge at least a couple of attacks in the final battle or you'll die before the boss does but that's about it. It's annoying but it's eminently doable during setup for casuals so it could be a lot worse, the Seth unlock in vanilla SF4 comes to mind.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I really like when games simply let you use every character in VS, no unlocking bullshit. Skullgirls and P4A had all characters usable in VS but require unlocks for story mode. DOA5 had an "exhibition mode" button that unlocked all characters, but disallowed achievement, title, or costume unlocks with it enabled. All SF4s past Vanilla just said 'fuckit' and let everyone use anyone because why the hell should anything be locked

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

soooo loving jealous.

yeah im loving it. My biggest issue right now is getting familiar with the controller but other than that its made execution so much easier for me. The cord to plug the USB in is a bit annoying because you have to line it up like an old style mouse plugin but it comes with a washer that lets you screw it on so it doesnt come out easy too.

I'm surprised with how little resistance the buttons have its just so smooth.

My biggest issue is getting used to it on my lap. I don't push up far enough on the stick so I tend to do my up forward / up backwards as just a forward / back. I gotta get used to pushing that stick up a bit more.

The artwork is pretty sweet too but I'm thinking of doing a custom vega.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LeiwjJx994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

do japanese streamers use pre 2000 equipment or something? What is the explanation for the overall low quality of streams?
Even the paid niconico street fighter streams are pretty bad.

• Locked thread