Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NC-17 posted:

I'm sure Goodell will carefully weigh the evidence presented in the report and make the right call at the end of the day.
Like I said before, this can only end in a Congressional hearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

this situation is like a fly trap for awful people

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They can't suspend him, what about freedom of speech!?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Harlock posted:

Yeah this will help

Don't be so quick to judg-

@AdamSchefter
Mueller’s investigation will be overseen by NFL owners John Mara of Giants and Art Rooney of Steelers, and final report will be made public.

hahahhaahahahaha

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NC-17 posted:

They can't suspend him, what about freedom of speech!?

We're missing the best parts of the greg hardy arguments because of this. NC has some pointless law where if you're convicted of domestic violence you can appeal it for a completely new trial, since DV is only a misdemeanor. it's a trial de novo too so you basically start from scratch.

because of this, greg hardy, in the eyes of TOTALLY IMPARTIAL PANTHERS FANS WHO ARE JUST LOOKING OUT FOR A GUY'S DUE PROCESS, can't be suspended yet because it would violate his sixth amendment rights.

also something something women are all money grubbing whores etc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I haven't been listening much today, are there any odds of Goodell actually facing some consequences here or is it mainly 'we'll investigate and I'll say I'm sorry and we'll all pretend this never happened because gently caress you' things? I'd be pretty happy if he managed to survived literal accusations of knowingly crippling players with his corrupt rear end 'studies' and poo poo but Ray Rice being human trash is what kills him.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chris James 2 posted:

@AdamSchefter
Mueller’s investigation will be overseen by NFL owners John Mara of Giants and Art Rooney of Steelers, and final report will be made public.

hahahhaahahahaha

Mara will somehow find a way to gently caress the Cowboys over this.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

@AdamSchefter

hahahhaahahahaha

They really are clueless, aren't they?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So I haven't been listening much today, are there any odds of Goodell actually facing some consequences here or is it mainly 'we'll investigate and I'll say I'm sorry and we'll all pretend this never happened because gently caress you' things?

That's exactly what this is. I don't care what kind of gravitas the person doing it has, they're been nominated for a corporate at the behest of a corporation to report to the same corporation, and anyone who doesn't think that ends with "LOOKS LIKE WE'RE ALL CLEAR!" is pretty naive.

Especially given how these chucklefucks have handled everything else in this.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Chris James 2 posted:

@AdamSchefter

hahahhaahahahaha

The investigation will reveal that the Redskins are responsible and they'll be given a cap penalty.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

At the very least, we'll all get to enjoy watching Gooddell get shrieked at by a bunch of grandstanding Congressmen in an election year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
More like the investigation will last six months minimum and they hope people will have forgotten by then. This is a stalling tactic, they know drat well what happened.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Goodell likely saved his job - he won't resign until the report comes out, since he can say he'll wait to do anything major until seeing what the investigation has to say, and unless the investigative report targets him (it won't) it'll probably be a flunky who has to resign.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

@AdamSchefter

hahahhaahahahaha

hahahahaha oh my god gently caress JOHN MARA

This is the closest I've come to feeling emotions in several months

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

I have assembled an independent committee to investigate my possible wrongdoing. It will be comprised of my employee and my crony . Wait why are you all laughing? This is a serious matter.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.wcnc.com/story/sports/nfl/panthers/2014/09/10/panthers-owner-breaks-down-addressing-domestic-violence-issue/15423313/

Jerry Richardson is crying over this.

Jerry Richardson.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

JoeCL posted:

The investigation will reveal that the Redskins are responsible and they'll be given a cap penalty.
Also the Cowboys. Also there will be more games in London somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

He's crying over Greg Hardy more than anything, but this line is...something.

quote:

His dear friend, embattled NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, was supposed to be in Charlotte to support Richardson as he received Thursday night's award but pulled out at the last minute, shortly after news broke that the NFL reportedly had in fact seen the elevator video of former Ravens player Ray Rice hitting his wife.

His dear friend Roger Goodell.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

drat. Dude lived up to the award now didn't he?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Chris James 2 posted:

@AdamSchefter

hahahhaahahahaha
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...d=pm_sports_pop

quote:

Mara also backed Goodell, saying in a written statement Wednesday it is “misguided” to believe that Goodell could lose his job. That statement also came prior to the AP report.

“My understanding is that the League and the Ravens made repeated requests to obtain the video of the Ray Rice incident and were denied each time,” Mara said. “The notion that the League should have gone around law enforcement to obtain the video is, in my opinion, misguided, as is the notion that the Commissioner’s job is now in jeopardy. The video is appalling, and I believe that the team and the League took appropriate action after they finally had the opportunity to view it.”

I expect a very balanced and fair investigation.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Mara will somehow find a way to gently caress the Cowboys over this.

Good.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Can't wait for the congressional investigation.

Darrel Issa steps up to the mic. "Mr. Goodell, were you given an order to stand down in Benghazi?"

"Sir I don't understand-"

Issa cuts off the mic.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

cool this is literally why a lot of us never come forward and report abuse/rapes/assault/etc

because we're :airquote:VICTIMS:airquote: and obviously must've brought it upon ourselves

and I cannot even begin to imagine how much of a nightmare this is for Janay Rice

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mara orders the Jerrytron lowered to 25 feet above the field whenever the Cowboys have the ball.

JoeCL posted:

Can't wait for the congressional investigation.

Darrel Issa steps up to the mic. "Mr. Goodell, were you given an order to stand down in Benghazi?"

"Sir I don't understand-"

Issa cuts off the mic.
Charles Schumer wanders in from the hall, grabs the mic, gets the names of two teams wrong, starts talking about yogurt.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So the ultra clear video is going to be released where we can actually see spit fly from Rice's mouth twice.

It's going to be fun hearing from the remaining stalwarts defending the idea that "she initiated the fight."

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So the ultra clear video is going to be released where we can actually see spit fly from Rice's mouth twice.

It's going to be fun hearing from the remaining stalwarts defending the idea that "she initiated the fight."

Why is this necessary to release? I don't get it. Anyone who still believes she instigated the fight is not going to change their mind. Showing it over and over and over again on ESPN or wherever is not doing anything to change anyone's mind.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder what book he was talking about? I don't at all doubt that a book like that exists, which now that I think about it is really sad.

The weird fantasy that somehow women are mostly responsible for sexual assault and harassment reminded me of this little gem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosure_(novel)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was clear on the first release (Monday) that he spat on her, why else would he lean in

Why would we need to enhance on it

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Why is this necessary to release? I don't get it. Anyone who still believes she instigated the fight is not going to change their mind. Showing it over and over and over again on ESPN or wherever is not doing anything to change anyone's mind.

We still haven't got a JFK Zapruder film style commentary while it is playing on continual loop.

"Back, and with the left"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

The weird fantasy that somehow women are mostly responsible for sexual assault and harassment reminded me of this little gem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosure_(novel)

of COURSE its a crichton book

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

What report announcement is just to placate sponsors in the short term. It isolates the mess from the NFL 'brand', so they can continue with their pink October et al.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Mister Fister posted:

What's Kluwe referring to?

Bed of Guns would be a sick name for a band

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Goodell is never going to be forced to resign and the report won't come out until March of next year.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Chris James 2 posted:

@AdamSchefter

hahahhaahahahaha

John "The notion that the League should have gone around law enforcement to obtain the video is, in my opinion, misguided, as is the notion that the Commissioner's job is now in jeopardy" Mara?

lol

e:

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 11, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Never forget Goodell is a trash person. Good headline.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Old news but I still can't believe Mayweather decided to chime in. Like...most of me just wonders why bother because everyone who cares already hates you (or loves you) at this point Floyd, you're not selling any more tickets with that take from an admitted abuser--ok, sort of admitted and damned near undoubtedly true either way.

On the other hand you might as well go whole hog because it isn't like boxing can get any more evil at this point.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I picked a bad day to not follow news. I can't believe TMZ was right.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hardy, will get 6-8 games next season probably.

Jesus Christ, I support all this good will towards the cause but can we please just move on (don't loving act like I'm trying to sweep this under the rug), because nothing is going to just change in the next few days / weeks / years.

Domestic violence will always happen around this globe. The NFL, as strong and powerful as they seem to be will never be able to change that... Sorry, that's the ugly truth of this planet we live on.

Also, the Washington Reds going to be real bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you know this isn't the n/v thread right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Why would I post this in the N/V thread?

• Locked thread