Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/

Can't wait for the next press conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
So have we seen confirmation that the NFL saw this video? I'm just seeing a lot of rumors floating around in the Twitterverse.

Regardless, Ray Rice is a shithead and I'm sorry I liked him at one point. Some people are really good at fooling others. The 2-game suspension was a disgrace but we knew that already.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone please ask Steve smith what he thinks.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
So what does Goodell do now to save face?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

ssbbud posted:

I dunno, but it's already too late for her face lmao

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

sweet thursday posted:

I dunno, but it's already too late for her face lmao

Good one!!!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

And did it take this fuckin long for them to remember that the elevator had a camera in it? Was somebody just sitting on this tape and it took the investigative powerhouse of TMZ to bring a crime to light months later?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

ssbbud posted:

Relegate the Ravens.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

sweet thursday posted:

And did it take this fuckin long for them to remember that the elevator had a camera in it? Was somebody just sitting on this tape and it took the investigative powerhouse of TMZ to bring a crime to light months later?

They knew it existed and they sat on it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

sweet thursday posted:

Ask Jay Z or that dude that choked his dog. Elevators are the new spot for getting busted but the police still haven't caught on.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ray Lewis was in the elevator, and he says he didn't see nothing.

He didn't kill no motherfcking lion.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well I guess the NFL/Ravens claims that she "provoked" him or whatever are total horseshit. Thanks for making that a thing Peter King, Steven A. Smith, et. al.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

Tmz is good in that their complete lack of integrity doesn't preclude them from bribing people.

It probably took that long to find someone willing to do it.

Or some whistle blower in the nfl offices leaked it.

Come on, give us the spygate tape next.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I guess everybody was content with not asking questions about a man pulling an unconscious woman out of an elevator. Nobody thought to do more than ask politely to see the elevator videos

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

axeil posted:

Well I guess the NFL/Ravens claims that she "provoked" him or whatever are total horseshit. Thanks for making that a thing Peter King, Steven A. Smith, et. al.

I was wondering if that was just my imagination. They really gussied it up to make it sound like she came after him but nooooope.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They likely sat on it for the start of the season in order to get maximum impact. The bigger question is how a prosecutor saw that footage and didn't try to put him in jail.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The league at least claimed to have watched it.

Like at the end of the day, I don't care that much about the suspension, I just find it amazing how the league / Ravens responded like that knowing that video existed. Or how he doesn't get charged, but hey.

I suppose the Ravens could try to save face by claiming they hadn't seen it, and suspending / dumping Rice themselves.

But who knows, they'll probably all try to keep the line straight and the response to that should be amazing.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm kinda glad that they sat on the tape. Now the NFL ends up with even more egg on their face

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
If the Ravens don't cut Ray Rice they are about to have a PR nightmare on their hands.

gently caress Ray Rice, count this as a second incident and ban him for life.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I was wondering if that was just my imagination. They really gussied it up to make it sound like she came after him but nooooope.

From the other thread (moving to this one now)

Petey posted:

Agreed, however:

a) remember, there was all this talk about how "well you don't know what happened in the elevator," with the (indefensible and stupid nonetheless made) insinuation being that maybe she was going ham and he had punched her in the heat of the moment
b) Goodell played on that talk to say "well I've reviewed the whole tape [including stuff you all haven't seen] and this is what I'm doing"

w/r/t b), I'm pretty sure Goodell *did* publicly say that he'd reviewed tape from inside the elevator (at least, the same tape the police had, which was presumably this), and if I'm right...hoo boy, this is going to be (deservedly) bad for him and the NFL.

I've got to believe the NFL thought this tape wouldn't come out, given how they framed it, and if that's true, then how the hell can they have thought it wouldn't have come out?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Looking forward to seeing this guy unable to walk and drooling on himself in a decade or so

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Kalli posted:

The league at least claimed to have watched it.
Why would they say something like that when they'd have to know that it would eventually get released some way? "Well, it'll make us look good now, who cares what happens in a few months? We might have all overdosed on cocaine by then"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speak of the devil:

Jason La Canfora:
Ravens officials had not seen this Rice video prior to today but he had described actions in detail. Didn't "sugarcoat" it source said...

So while the actual footage today was new to the Ravens visually, the description Rice gave them was in line with what the video displayed

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

YMB posted:

If the Ravens don't cut Ray Rice they are about to have a PR nightmare on their hands.

gently caress Ray Rice, count this as a second incident and ban him for life.

I want to believe you that it'll be a PR nightmare, and it'll be a hit for sure, but as long as there are asses in the seats and Ravens poo poo being bought then welp.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Holy poo poo that video :stare: The NFL has to cut him right?

Kalli posted:

Speak of the devil:

Jason La Canfora:
Ravens officials had not seen this Rice video prior to today but he had described actions in detail. Didn't "sugarcoat" it source said...

So while the actual footage today was new to the Ravens visually, the description Rice gave them was in line with what the video displayed

How? What? How did they think that was okay and then make his wife apologize? :wtf:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ramadu posted:

Holy poo poo that video :stare: The NFL has to cut him right?

They knew what happened already. The video doesn't change anything.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Speak of the devil:

Jason La Canfora:

I acted in self defense and she hit her head on the way down, then I had to drag her to safety.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

The new video shows the pair in the elevator engaged in an apparent argument. When Palmer steps toward Rice, he drops her with a brutal roundhouse punch. An employee of the hotel, which has since closed, told the website the NFL saw the elevator footage before meting out the suspension. Link

Man gently caress Roger Goodell

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way

Kalli posted:

Speak of the devil:

Jason La Canfora:

Ravens FO: "Tell us what happened, Ray."
Rice: "She said something mean so I punched her in the face and knocked her out."
Ravens FO: "Hmm."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm assuming the league was confident this wouldn't come out until the season started and figured by that point it would blow over quickly because football and sadly, I'd be shocked if they don't turn out to be right.

Props to John Harbaugh though. To end up looking like the biggest rear end in a top hat in a family that includes Jim Harbaugh is impressive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The comments on the video at TMZ have already devolved into "So he was supposed to sit there and not protect himself while she hit on him?"

Burn it all down.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If only he could still hit the gap that hard

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean it's obviously really bad, but I don't think anyone seriously believed that video was going to show anything other than exactly what it does. It's not really new. He was already a piece of human trash and the NFL's response was already awful.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Welp. It's been fun, NFL. Good luck to the Raiders, peace out.

College football owns more anyway.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

burn all footballs,

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

MourningView posted:

I mean it's obviously really bad, but I don't think anyone seriously believed that video was going to show anything other than exactly what it does. It's not really new. He was already a piece of human trash and the NFL's response was already awful.

All true, but Donald Sterling was also always awful and a damning piece of media can work wonders on public opinion/discourse.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

MourningView posted:

I don't know. This will add a lot more outside pressure. When all you had before was a video of him pulling her out of an elevator, it gave people wiggle room to maybe not outright say it, but insinuate that somehow she contributed to the situation and helped bring it on herself.
This shatters all that. And now they have to explain that if they did see all the evidence, what were they thinking?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Colin Cowherd just blamed video games for young men committing violent acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"Sandy Hook guy was a gamer, Columbine guys were gamers."

A hahahaha

• Locked thread