Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bisonbison posted:

In non-extended opinions, I think the earliest spot in the game that could use a revamp is the Lair/Orc transition from early to mid-game. Lair is really long and monotonous, but with pretty good danger curve. Orc is optionalish, but boring/easy and then not.

Stupid idea of the day that does not fix O/L: each game, flip a coin on which will spawn in D, and make the other a sub-branch of the other on one of the first 3 floors.

One idea I had once after seeing the Orc "spider" vault was to have passageways back and forth between lair branches and Orc, or somehow mix them up a little. That would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sage Grimm posted:

Because the red devil is between you and Dudes That Need To Be Dead.
Why can't an actual tough monster be there instead? Either you're killing the chaff in one turn, in which case it's barely a roadblock, or you're just walking around them to get to the actual dangerous dudes. And this is assuming a pure melee character - casters have it even easier since they can just tornado/shatter/firestorm/glaciate everything. If you're rocking TSO or Zin, you just fire off Cleansing Flame/Recite and watch as all the chaff nearby goes down.

The demonspawn seem to fit the "roadblock dudes blocking dangerous dudes" role better than the chaff demons do. They're bulky enough that you're not one hit killing them, and they have varied enough powers to actually be interesting. Higher levels of demons also work - in my opinion, tier 5 & 4 demons shouldn't spawn in pan & hells at all. Tier 3 is better, although some are notably more dangerous than others(smoke demon smite adds up, neqs can mutate). There's just no loving point in having imps and blue devils and whatnot around in extended.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Zin is like Jack Chick's version of God; will dick you over no matter how devoted you are for not following some obscure rule.

Well, my point is more "Why is Mennas hostile to me, necessitating me to use Zin's power against him". I kinda wonder what preaching will do to him.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

kaschei posted:

Apparently holy stuff thinks your holy stuff can go stuff itself! Just heard in IRC that following a good god doesn't give a chance for "good" stuff to be friendly to you, meaning mennas is a menace to followers of good gods and followers of good gods can find Holy Pan and everything inside will hate them.

I liked the idea behind the old pacify-ish mechanic but it was a poor implementation, I kind of miss it.

edit: AND NELLIE THE HELLEPHANT WHAT ARE THE DEVS DOING
I didn't even know about shedu when I made this post

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

scalded schlong posted:

Well, my point is more "Why is Mennas hostile to me, necessitating me to use Zin's power against him". I kinda wonder what preaching will do to him.

I think this was changed recently, angels will always be hostile to you regardless of your religion.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

scalded schlong posted:

What is the meaning of this :mad:

Boyz II Mennas
Of Mice and Mennas
The Red Mennas
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. A Mennas.
Two and a Half Mennas
The Mennastry of Love
Mennasty Girls
The Phantom Mennas
Mennas in Black

e: Yes Prime Mennaster.
(Mennaster? I drat near killed'er!)

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 11, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
OK, one more question:

Troll leather armour doesn't stack with racial troll regeneration. Does it stack with racial vine stalker regen?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Haifisch posted:

The demonspawn seem to fit the "roadblock dudes blocking dangerous dudes" role better than the chaff demons do. They're bulky enough that you're not one hit killing them, and they have varied enough powers to actually be interesting. Higher levels of demons also work - in my opinion, tier 5 & 4 demons shouldn't spawn in pan & hells at all. Tier 3 is better, although some are notably more dangerous than others(smoke demon smite adds up, neqs can mutate). There's just no loving point in having imps and blue devils and whatnot around in extended.

I agree. I don't think even 3s are valid threats for late game, besides the two you mentioned. I'm sure scared of the Lair:8 sun demon, or getting in melee with summoned sun demons in Orc, but that's usually it. Same thing goes for Ice Devils, except replace "Lair:8" with "Ice Cave."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That lair:8 hell ending really fucks me up, it's the best use of 4s.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Prism posted:

OK, one more question:

Troll leather armour doesn't stack with racial troll regeneration. Does it stack with racial vine stalker regen?

Yes, the check is explicitly for the race and not for the regeneration mutation.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Roctavian posted:

I agree. I don't think even 3s are valid threats for late game, besides the two you mentioned. I'm sure scared of the Lair:8 sun demon, or getting in melee with summoned sun demons in Orc, but that's usually it. Same thing goes for Ice Devils, except replace "Lair:8" with "Ice Cave."

I sure do when I'm missing resistances and running extended. You have to remember it's not always the ascendant god-like figures that are seeking to get these runes. It can also be the furtive figures.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Or destitute ogres barely able to scrape together rF+ despite hat of the alchemist (+9 IDA is pretty great though)

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

I sure do when I'm missing resistances and running extended. You have to remember it's not always the ascendant god-like figures that are seeking to get these runes. It can also be the furtive figures.

Oh, definitely! I don't think extended needs to be wall-to-wall 1s and 2s, and I don't think Ice Devils and Sun Demons are necessarily bad enemies (okay, I kind of think ice devils are). But a smoke demon, for example, isn't unfair to a furtive sneaky fellow, and yet remains threatening to a platemail-clad firestormer who plays carelessly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
whoever said a while back that pan should be like a boss-rush type deal, going from one tough short floor focused around the pan lord to the next, I am in full agreement with

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

whoever said a while back that pan should be like a boss-rush type deal, going from one tough short floor focused around the pan lord to the next, I am in full agreement with

It was I.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That actually sounds pretty awesome and much less tedious than current Pan. You could put together a ton of cool vaults and minivaults for Pan levels, too. Gladiatorial arenas, little mazes, mini-forests, the works.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

I think why this works is because Hell and Abyss are already sloggy nightmares enough. Pan doesn't need to also be a big mess. Plus it would make Pan interesting and unique.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Little vaults based on souped up versions of other branches would be really cool. Could make pan lords based on snakes, spiders, etc. I don't know if you want to get rid of pan floors that aren't the current unique ones entirely, but if you don't then you could make some pretty cool minivaults using mostly things that already exist. (Creating new souped up monsters just for them might be a little much, even if it would be pretty cool.)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
RIP KoFi of Qazlal.

This guy found nothing better than a +1 morningstar all game and the +5 slaying ring was the only reason he ever got anywhere (and the only decent loot). Set foot in Elf, spent literally one turn there, got sent to the abyss. Cleared L, D, O, went to Shoals (better than snake...) and wound up gettng petrified by Jorgrun, then shattered down to -1 the turn before teleport went off, despite flying. RIP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Poulpe posted:

I think this was changed recently, angels will always be hostile to you regardless of your religion.

But

but

they used to turn friendly after like a few turns in your sight, they'd even get quite close before saying something like "Mennas raises his sword in a salute" and turning friendly.

Why would that just be changed with no message to say "Hey, this formerly-friendly guy now wants you dead"? Who on earth reads trunk changelogs? Took a few swipes from Mennas thinking "god, he's taking a while to turn friendly" before finally imprisoning him and wandering off.

Even a quick line like "Mennas scowls at your interpretation of Zin's holy writ!" would do the trick.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
If the wiki is correct, Statue Form doesn't take away the Claws bonus to damage, which Blade Hands does, so for that character I think that was the better choice. Never got to use it though, died so stupidly in the shoals that I'm ashamed to show a dump.

But! I really liked the gameplay of melee with a few magic tricks, so I'll try a bit more of that. Already killed a couple MfSk in D1-2.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

scalded schlong posted:

But

but

they used to turn friendly after like a few turns in your sight, they'd even get quite close before saying something like "Mennas raises his sword in a salute" and turning friendly.

Why would that just be changed with no message to say "Hey, this formerly-friendly guy now wants you dead"? Who on earth reads trunk changelogs? Took a few swipes from Mennas thinking "god, he's taking a while to turn friendly" before finally imprisoning him and wandering off.

Even a quick line like "Mennas scowls at your interpretation of Zin's holy writ!" would do the trick.

putting aside the merits or flaws of the change itself, the game is not designed under the assumption that the player is a long-time veteran.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you're not gonna read trunk changelogs I dunno why you'd get mad about things being changed without you knowing tbqh
trunk is kind of the 'trying poo poo out' version anyhow

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why can't I disassemble Gozag or the Shining One's altar for money?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You don't know how to mint coins, and the shops are vending machines.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Is there a place I can see all the invocations titles together? Also, what exactly are the criteria for invocations titles? Invocations as your highest skill, ****** of piety (not sure if that's required) and Invocations was the last skill to 27, first skill to 27, something else?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Not My Leg posted:

Is there a place I can see all the invocations titles together? Also, what exactly are the criteria for invocations titles? Invocations as your highest skill, ****** of piety (not sure if that's required) and Invocations was the last skill to 27, first skill to 27, something else?

The criteria for getting an Invocations title are Invocation being your highest skill and piety level. Gozag checks money on hand instead of piety. I don't know what Xom checks, if anything.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Prism posted:

The criteria for getting an Invocations title are Invocation being your highest skill and piety level. Gozag checks money on hand instead of piety. I don't know what Xom checks, if anything.

That's basically what I thought, but I was most confused about what "highest skill" means when you have more than one skill at 27. If, for example, I have fighting and Invocations at 27, do I get an invocations title, or do I get Conqueror.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

PleasingFungus posted:

putting aside the merits or flaws of the change itself, the game is not designed under the assumption that the player is a long-time veteran.

Eh, I think there's a case to be made that being a prized follower of a good god carries a reasonable expectation of not being attacked by angels, but meh.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Not My Leg posted:

That's basically what I thought, but I was most confused about what "highest skill" means when you have more than one skill at 27. If, for example, I have fighting and Invocations at 27, do I get an invocations title, or do I get Conqueror.

Whichever one gets to 27 first is the one you're locked in with, IIRC (though your Invocations title can still change if your piety does, you're not going to lose having one).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Not My Leg posted:

Invocations titles
Regular titles

Invocations titles are based on piety, your title doesn't really get "locked" but once Invo hits 27 you'll always have some invocations title based on your current god and piety.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I often intentionally drop my piety at the end of games just because some of the lower invocation titles for gods sounds better than the higher ones.

Demolition Octopus :black101:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Can a Draconian wear Mask of the Dragon (which is described as hat-like) ?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Humans Among Us posted:

Can a Draconian wear Mask of the Dragon (which is described as hat-like) ?

As far as I know anything that can wear hats can wear the Mask of the Dragon.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I often intentionally drop my piety at the end of games just because some of the lower invocation titles for gods sounds better than the higher ones.

Demolition Octopus :black101:

fr long-form titles in chardumps that depend on all sorts of conditions like "in what order did you get runes" or "what uniques did you kill"

so-and-so the Conqueror, baron of the Vaults, dispeller of the Enchantress, usurper of Gehenna, scourge of the Depths, who brought the scream of death to Mennas' lips, betrayer of Trog, the end of all Elves, euthanizer of Natasha...

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Prism posted:

As far as I know anything that can wear hats can wear the Mask of the Dragon.

Thanks, indeed i can.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Beneath the mask is... surprise! actual dragon.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

you can only get the bullwinkle's pride title by killing boris and natasha

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Right now, I don't know if hellfire and torment are doing a good job of what they are supposed to do. I will think about it and I will probably write a monster post about it that 3 people might read, but it's a difficult problem to solve and analyze.
I'm with you dawg, and will read your future :effort: posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Prism posted:

Xom checks nothing. You're a Toy no matter what, Toy.

• Locked thread