Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone else feel awkwardly ashamed of being a fan of football right now?

The "watching healthy young black men kill themselves at the behest of rich old white people" didn't already do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I was listening to local sports radio and they played a clip from Schefter who was told by one owner that Goddell has done nothing wrong and people are treating him like Ray Rice.

To their credit the radio guys were incredulous and clearly disgusted at that gross statement

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 12, 2014

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Whenever their association with Baltimore began

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You can't keep a Schiano Man down.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Homestar Runner posted:

what the

At what point did life go horribly, horribly wrong for all these people
Baltimore will do that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Roman ‏@Boomhauer_1890 1h
Let's go Ravens! Gonna kick Rapistburger's rear end tonight #Support27

:stare:

edit: to clarify, nothing wrong with tying Rothlisberger to his sexual assault, but the cognitive dissonance with that statement...

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
If I punched out my wife, got arrested, and my boss found out, I would be out on my rear end that same day.

If I was incompetent at my job and my actions turned my organization into a laughingstock, I'd be out on my rear end that same day.

It's amazing that people don't expect the same to happen to Ray Rice and that Goodell's employers don't expect the same out of him.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

I mean poo poo, we have a game about to start and CBS is running a news special about that and everyone else is focused on gawking at the shmucks in Rice jerseys. That led off in front of 9/11 coverage.

This is actually fairly solid reasoning on why this might not run its course so quickly.

As an aside, I got the Season Ticket agreement and I'm reading it over. I knew from the jump there is no wiggle room to get out of the contract but I did at least get a laugh out of reading it. It's pretty thorough in what it covers in the event a game can't be played..

quote:

Club shall be excused for the period of any delay in the performance of its obligations hereunder when prevented from doing so by cause or causes beyond Club’s control, which shall include, without limitation, all strikes, lock-outs and other labor disputes, civil commotion, war, war-like operations, invasion, rebellion, hostilities, military or usurped power, terrorism, sabotage, governmental regulations or control, cancellation of games, weather, fire or other casualty, construction delays, inability to obtain any material, services, insurance proceeds, or financing, or through acts of God.

Emphasis mine.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 12, 2014

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yo.

:(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

seiferguy posted:

Roman ‏@Boomhauer_1890 1h
Let's go Ravens! Gonna kick Rapistburger's rear end tonight #Support27

:stare:

edit: to clarify, nothing wrong with tying Rothlisberger to his sexual assault, but the cognitive dissonance with that statement...

He's not taking a moral stance on Roethlisberger you goober, he's making a dumb pun because that's what lovely fans consider the height of wit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

He's not taking a moral stance on Roethlisberger you goober, he's making a dumb pun because that's what lovely fans consider the height of wit

The point still stands, to mock Ben about the rape thing while simultaneously supporting Rice despite the punch thing shows an incredible lack of awareness.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I played the sport in HS.

I feel pretty disgusted that any sort of culture would come from it to make these things okay.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm a Ravens fan in Penn State.

Basically kill me

How do you feel about suicide bombing?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

James Brown's pregame segment for a football game:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

FuzzySkinner posted:

No. That's loving stupid.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigBoss posted:

No not really.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Why does Michael Vick still get to play?

If Ray Rice was gay and hit his boyfriend, would he still be banned indefinitely?

I thought it was a gold digger's job to evoke a violent response from their spouse to collect that sweet legal/marriage money?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kalli posted:

It's really awesome that someone said this on live primetime TV, that's amazing

Also amazing is how bad that transcription is, poo poo

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

MVP posted:

If Ray Rice was gay and hit his boyfriend, would he still be banned indefinitely?

I thought it was a gold digger's job to evoke a violent response from their spouse to collect that sweet legal/marriage money?

Vick paid his considerable debt and seems to be genuinely remorseful and rehabilitated. If Rice follows the same path, I would not be opposed to him playing again, assuming some team signs him.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Kalli posted:

This is great and absolutely right.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

MVP posted:

Now do Donald Sterling. Increase take hotness to 600 degrees

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Nah.

Football rules. Ray Rice and Roger Goodell are human garbage.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

BigBoss posted:

Agreed. Football is separate from the NFL which itself is made up of multiple entities from the player's union to the owners to the league office, etc., etc., etc.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Absolutely

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Breaky posted:

No not really.

Yeah it is. I can name a list of horrible poo poo about football way worse than Ray Rice hitting his wife or Goodell's response that apparently wasn't enough to turn someone off, but this somehow was? That's just being melodramatic in an attempt to attain some sense of ethical superiority via selective morality. Normal, healthy adults are able to make the distinction between "guy associated with football did a bad thing" and the very large entity that makes up the whole of football.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BigBoss posted:

Yeah it is. I can name a list of horrible poo poo about football way worse than Ray Rice hitting his wife or Goodell's response that apparently wasn't enough to turn someone off, but this somehow was? That's just being melodramatic in an attempt to attain some sense of ethical superiority via selective morality. Normal, healthy adults are able to make the distinction between "guy associated with football did a bad thing" and the very large entity that makes up the whole of football.

Yes and there's a lot of reasons to be ashamed of football apart from and in addition to this.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Very much so, yes.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Breaky posted:

Yes and there's a lot of reasons to be ashamed of football apart from and in addition to this.

A receiver gets a concussion by catching a hospital ball and all everyone can think about is what it means for their fantasy team.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Reminder that Ray Rice is one of many NFL players that have abused women. The NFL tried to cover this up and that's pretty loving disgusting.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

FuzzySkinner posted:

What's sad is a women was supporting him.

There were women flocking to twitter to post about how much they wanted to gently caress Chris Brown, well after he pummeled the poo poo out of Rihanna and went to jail. Dumb knows no boundaries of gender, age, fan affiliation, etc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FuzzySkinner posted:

About this? Not at all. I operate under the assumption that from the owners to the fans most people with some sort of financial or emotional investment in football are garbage, including myself. We cheer for terrible injuries to our rivals. We rationalize horrible behavior because TOUCHDOWNS. We tacitly approve through our continued support of an industry that makes gobs and gobs of money by turning people into physically shattered husks at best, and at worst souls so mentally broken the only escape they see is through the flashy end of a firearm.

So again, your question, no. I have been ashamed of being a football fan long before this. This is just a little icing on the shitcake that is professional sports.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, something that has been bothering me this evening. The tone and focus CBS and the NFL Network pre-game crew had, were this were the worst incident in NFL history. While I am not saying it is not-bad. It is. I just don't get how the focus on Ray Rice makes him worse than Jovan Belcher. I don't remember the Belcher situation getting the amount of attention as this. While the NFL coverup adds another layer, I think their focus against Rice is misguided.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Hockles posted:

So, something that has been bothering me this evening. The tone and focus CBS and the NFL Network pre-game crew had, were this were the worst incident in NFL history. While I am not saying it is not-bad. It is. I just don't get how the focus on Ray Rice makes him worse than Jovan Belcher. I don't remember the Belcher situation getting the amount of attention as this. While the NFL coverup adds another layer, I think their focus against Rice is misguided.

I mean, part of it is almost certainly because the player in question is still alive and thus able to be punished (suspended) for his actions.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Hockles posted:

As far as I can tell this is a bigger deal because it's not really about Ray Rice anymore. Not really. Everyone (who is of sane mind anyway) has now agreed that he is a shithead, and he no longer has a team and is banned from signing with a new one. What more can be said or done? The story now is that the NFL is appallingly incompetent at best, and morally and ethically abhorrent at worst. There wasn't really anything that could be done from the NFL's standpoint about Belcher.

Edit: man, that compelled me to look up Jovan Belcher's wiki page, and today is actually his daughter's birthday. What a bummer :smith:

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 12, 2014

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

nope apparently i'm in the minority of people who don't think the NFL should double as our court system

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hockles posted:

It's also on tape.

No one filmed Rae carruth.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ironlung posted:

nope apparently i'm in the minority of people who don't think the NFL should double as our court system

It is a good thing they aren't!

They also can't, without opening company towns.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

if ray rice got suspended half the season this wouldn't even be a story

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ironlung posted:

if ray rice got suspended half the season this wouldn't even be a story

No, it probably wouldn't. But he didn't and Goodell almost certainly lied about ever seeing the tape, which are now the two biggest parts of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Breaky posted:

No not really.
Yes really. Do you feel awkwardly ashamed about enjoying college football too? High school football?

TheModernAmerican posted:

The "watching healthy young black men kill themselves at the behest of rich old white people" didn't already do that?
I'm going to look like a complete grouch but what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Breaky posted:

You feel a sense of shame for liking a sport? I genuinely do not understand this. I'd just stop watching and leave it at that if it ever got anything close to that point.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 12, 2014

• Locked thread