Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, in terms of modern audiences, there's also an increasing distrust for authority figures or those in a position of power. This tends to coincide with younger protagonists because by their very nature younger protagonists are not entrenched in those sort of positions and often are counter or opposed to them. This leads to a general decrease in the age of heroes unless they are heroes explicitly outside of the normal social or political structures. (Which makes "government secret agent" or "soldier" increasingly less welcome, which is also why you have a pretty heavy emphasis on rogue agents or ex-soldiers when you do have older protagonists.)

This is also why stuff like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games or Divergent are finding a larger audience despite their youth-focused protagonists, because each one is largely about that sort of disgust for entrenched authority. The same goes for superheroes too honestly, who are fairly childish despite being literal adult characters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anyone got a link to that Slate article? I can't seem to find it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the characters in Lunar were originally...12.!!! Ghaleon is weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

the characters in Lunar were originally...12.!!! Ghaleon is weird.

Well, yeah, the dude spends all his time alone in his castle with the fairies he rescued-slash-kidnapped.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm gonna have to ask you to put your Lunar playthrough on hold. You simply cannot experience the endgame, as it was meant to be played, without the interactive power of the Ghaleon Punching Puppet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

I'm gonna have to ask you to put your Lunar playthrough on hold. You simply cannot experience the endgame, as it was meant to be played, without the interactive power of the Ghaleon Punching Puppet
incredibly detailed and realistic

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

http://youtubedoubler.com/doUw

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

I thought these things were hard to find now? If only I had a complete version of the game to go with it. :negative:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Well, in terms of modern audiences, there's also an increasing distrust for authority figures or those in a position of power. This tends to coincide with younger protagonists because by their very nature younger protagonists are not entrenched in those sort of positions and often are counter or opposed to them. This leads to a general decrease in the age of heroes unless they are heroes explicitly outside of the normal social or political structures. (Which makes "government secret agent" or "soldier" increasingly less welcome, which is also why you have a pretty heavy emphasis on rogue agents or ex-soldiers when you do have older protagonists.)

This is also why stuff like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games or Divergent are finding a larger audience despite their youth-focused protagonists, because each one is largely about that sort of disgust for entrenched authority. The same goes for superheroes too honestly, who are fairly childish despite being literal adult characters.

Ehh... Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Fallout, Kotor, Diablo etc... are all examples of successful Western games with no child/youth protagonist in site. Then you can throw in all smaller european based series like Gothic/Risen, Drakensang, Two Worlds, and others. It's target demographics vs anti-society statements.

I do think you are correct though with Japanese games, but it's the type of crazy work culture of the 70s/80s that produced it. Hence the fixation on high school as it's the last place where your decisions mattered and on younger heroes. The shift toward more otaku oriented series lately is economics more then anything else as nobody else is spending money over there. I mean, just witness PS4/Xbone/WiiU/Vita sales, even 3DS is down.

Oh, and I'd love somebody to remaster both Lunar games and put them on PSN/Live/Steam. The PSP version of Lunar is pretty good but it's a bit watered down and the iOS version somehow does not feel right. I think Vic Ireland was trying at some point but he couldn't get the rights worked out, which is a shame. Hmm... pricing is not too bad on Amazon/Ebay as long as one does not mind some missing extras it appears.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

I've been punting one of those around from place to place for like 15 years. I'm pretty sure that when I die someone will rummage through my stuff and find it, along with Lucia pendants and all of the other notable Working Designs swag.

Too bad the Alex and Borgan punching puppets never became a thing. Ghaleon puppet will forever be alone. :(

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

BloodWulfe posted:

I've been punting one of those around from place to place for like 15 years. I'm pretty sure that when I die someone will rummage through my stuff and find it, along with Lucia pendants and all of the other notable Working Designs swag.

Too bad the Alex and Borgan punching puppets never became a thing. Ghaleon puppet will forever be alone. :(

Please tell me I'm not the only person who wore than pendant unironically as a 15 year old.

Trap sprung, etc.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh boy, Square Enix remembered Live a Live!
For mobile phones :negative:

I hope this fad for sticking old RPGs on phones with overpriced price tags and way worse assets stops soon...

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

HGH posted:

Oh boy, Square Enix remembered Live a Live!
For mobile phones :negative:

I hope this fad for sticking old RPGs on phones with overpriced price tags and way worse assets stops soon...

I honestly wish they'd just start porting more of their stuff to PC. They did it with FF III so why not with other games?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You don't know true pain until you're a fan of SNK and every announced "new title" is yet another panchinko game, with higher art assets and quality than their last released game.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The grammar of that title really pisses me off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

The grammar of that title really pisses me off.
it's because live is evil backwards and also it was only ever released in japan so it's not like english grammar matters

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Catts posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only person who wore than pendant unironically as a 15 year old.

Trap sprung, etc.

...I was 19. :negative:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is a bit of an odd question but are there any games out there that let you freely manipulate your levels?

I'm wondering about this because I saw an interesting concept. All EXP sits in a pool and you can level up whoever you want whenever you want manually, but you could also level them down at no cost, allocate stat bonuses that you could later reallocate for free, set your whole party to a specific level... It just seemed like a lot of customizability and it feels weird I've never seen this in a commercial game, so maybe I'm missing out on something here.

EDIT: Basically there's a menu like this:

The level unification thing is there cause beating bosses with your whole party below a specific "challenge level" gives you bonus items/prizes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If they didn't include teenage protagonists in RPG's goons couldn't role play being baby fuckers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HGH posted:

This is a bit of an odd question but are there any games out there that let you freely manipulate your levels?

I'm wondering about this because I saw an interesting concept. All EXP sits in a pool and you can level up whoever you want whenever you want manually, but you could also level them down at no cost, allocate stat bonuses that you could later reallocate for free, set your whole party to a specific level... It just seemed like a lot of customizability and it feels weird I've never seen this in a commercial game, so maybe I'm missing out on something here.

Not down to a specific stats, but The World Ends With You let you change your level at any time, and gave you bonuses for playing below your max level.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Phantasium posted:

Not down to a specific stats, but The World Ends With You let you change your level at any time, and gave you bonuses for playing below your max level.

Yeah, drop rates I think went up if your level went down. It's such an amazing mechanic and I can't believe more games haven't aped that system because it was great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HGH posted:

It's not quuiite the same thing, but Wild Arms 5 let you allocate points to get skills early, at the expense of drastically reducing your max HP.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not quuiite the same thing, but Wild Arms 5 let you allocate points to get skills early, at the expense of drastically reducing your max HP.

Wild ARMs 4 also did this, but 5 is the better game, I think.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Wild ARMs 4 also did this, but 5 is the better game, I think.

Eh, they're just different. 4 is very linear with some interesting pseudo-platforming and has the silly "all adults are evil" bit in its otherwise okay plot. 5 is a more open, classic JRPG style with the same hex grid combat of 4, but the story is worse.

5's better in the gameplay department, but 4's still a great game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well because I hate myself, I decided to have a look at Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World :shepface:. I jotted down some notes for a trip report so far. Spoilered the stuff that refers to ToS events.

• Palmacosta just cannot catch a break. Given it's only two years later, they'd probably barely gotten the city back together before it all got hosed up again.

• Why is the world worse when there's actually mana now? These are the disasters the lack of mana caused, not it's return. :psyduck:

• Lloyd's being portrayed as a villain. Odds are high this is not actually Lloyd.

• Emil's parents didn't even last the opening cutscene. A NEW RECORD!

• ALL HAIL LLOYD THE GREAT! HE PAID FOR OUR TOWN SO WE DIDN'T HAVE TO! :worship:

• Luin has the same layout from Symphonia. It's actually nice. I'm guessing the statues and everything are how it looks if you pay through the entire sidequest? (I stopped somewhere about 1/3rd).

• Emil is the most meek and timid protagonist I've ever seen :cripes:.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well because I hate myself, I decided to have a look at Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World :shepface:. I jotted down some notes for a trip report so far. Spoilered the stuff that refers to ToS events.

• Palmacosta just cannot catch a break. Given it's only two years later, they'd probably barely gotten the city back together before it all got hosed up again.

• Why is the world worse when there's actually mana now? These are the disasters the lack of mana caused, not it's return. :psyduck:

• Lloyd's being portrayed as a villain. Odds are high this is not actually Lloyd.

• Emil's parents didn't even last the opening cutscene. A NEW RECORD!

• ALL HAIL LLOYD THE GREAT! HE PAID FOR OUR TOWN SO WE DIDN'T HAVE TO! :worship:

• Luin has the same layout from Symphonia. It's actually nice. I'm guessing the statues and everything are how it looks if you pay through the entire sidequest? (I stopped somewhere about 1/3rd).

• Emil is the most meek and timid protagonist I've ever seen :cripes:.
Always remember, Neddy Seagoon:

Courage

is the magic

that turns dreams into reality

:shepicide:

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dawn of the New World honestly could have been a whole lot worst, and is honestly about what I expected for a sequel made years after the original and as a side title in the series.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I only got about halfway through Symphonia 2 on Wii before my save was deleted, and I haven't started the HD version yet, but I enjoyed what I played of it more than the first one. Fewer protagonists to dislike, more pokemon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Always remember, Neddy Seagoon:

Courage

is the magic

that turns dreams into reality

:shepicide:

Right now I'm looking forward to getting back to Luin after this dungeon. They kept accusing him of siding with monsters, so Emil coming back with a bunch under his control should be fun to watch. I'm hoping for a lynch mob :munch:.

edit: Tales of Symphonia had fairly well-written antagonists with their own motivations, most of which weren't explicitly evil/psychotic. And the ones that were were mostly lackeys doing at arms reach for the higher-ups to further their own goals. So far Dawn of the New World has a sadistic little girl with a horsewhip, who is somehow in the upper echelons of power in the Church of Martel.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 13, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, Chrono Trigger vs. Final Fantasy VI seems to be one of those arguments I've been hearing about for years among older JRPG fans. Now I've played both, I have to say I prefer Trigger. Granted, I never actually finished VI but....uh, well, I played up to Setzer joining the party. That was far enough, right?

But which do people here prefer between CT and VI? Which is the King of SNES JRPGs? Then again, maybe you have a third option for best SNES JRPG? If so please tell me since I'm in a huge retro mood thanks to playing the Chrono games.

Also, the SNES is a little before my time when it comes to JRPGs. It was the Playstation when I fell in love with the genre. Perhaps that is why I preferred Cross... Anyway, while I've been hearing CT vs. FFVI for years, I never hear anyone argue Chrono Cross vs. the PS1-era FF games. Cross didn't feel much like FFVIII or IX but I did kinda get some feelings of VII.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

Then again, maybe you have a third option for best SNES JRPG?

Doesn't matter, Phantasy Star IV is better than all of them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My third option is Earthbound, tho CT and FFVI are both v good.

That said you stopped a bit before the part where FFVI really goes all out!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

NikkolasKing posted:

Granted, I never actually finished VI but....uh, well, I played up to Setzer joining the party. That was far enough, right?

NO.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

So, Chrono Trigger vs. Final Fantasy VI seems to be one of those arguments I've been hearing about for years among older JRPG fans. Now I've played both, I have to say I prefer Trigger. Granted, I never actually finished VI but....uh, well, I played up to Setzer joining the party. That was far enough, right?

Did you fly around on the Zeppelin

did you do it for ten minutes while going "wheeeeeeeeeeee" just under your breath

if so then you didn't play nearly far enough

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Did you fly around on the Zeppelin

did you do it for ten minutes while going "wheeeeeeeeeeee" just under your breath

if so then you didn't play nearly far enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BhBB9gjLWE

wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I like the premise of the pokeymans monster capturing with Dawn of the New World, but why the gently caress did they cripple it early on? To be able to try and form a pact with a monster, you need to swing the elemental grid into a majority of a single colour with Artes of the element you want. Fine. Except the only skill you have early on with an elemental attribute is the basic heal on Marta :bang:. Most fights are over long before you sit with a thumb up your rear end spamming heals to get it aligned right, just for a chance to potentially form a pact with a monster.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

no, no you did not.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, I like the premise of the pokeymans monster capturing with Dawn of the New World, but why the gently caress did they cripple it early on? To be able to try and form a pact with a monster, you need to swing the elemental grid into a majority of a single colour with Artes of the element you want. Fine. Except the only skill you have early on with an elemental attribute is the basic heal on Marta :bang:. Most fights are over long before you sit with a thumb up your rear end spamming heals to get it aligned right, just for a chance to potentially form a pact with a monster.
I'm pretty sure you get other elemental stuff fairly quickly, but just get a bear and use that for a while.

Why would you even want another monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

But which do people here prefer between CT and VI? Which is the King of SNES JRPGs? Then again, maybe you have a third option for best SNES JRPG? If so please tell me since I'm in a huge retro mood thanks to playing the Chrono games.

Also, the SNES is a little before my time when it comes to JRPGs. It was the Playstation when I fell in love with the genre. Perhaps that is why I preferred Cross... Anyway, while I've been hearing CT vs. FFVI for years, I never hear anyone argue Chrono Cross vs. the PS1-era FF games. Cross didn't feel much like FFVIII or IX but I did kinda get some feelings of VII.

I would put VI after Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFIV, and Secret of Mana. I think the quality of VI drops off in the second half. It's still one of the best SNES games, but I just never look forward to replaying the second half. On account of it being completely non-linear and that you're not required to have any particular character in your party most of the time, the plot and meaningful character interaction becomes non-existent. So that half is always really boring to me.

I'm surprised that for being a story-first gamer, you haven't said what you thought about Cross's story yet. What did you think?

Don't be in a retro mood. Play Nier.