Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Did that plastic Terminator captain ever come out as his own kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

serious gaylord posted:

Space Hulk has sold out on the UK website.

Yeah and just when I was going to order a second set to paint and sell. Will have to check with the local store!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

Yeah and just when I was going to order a second set to paint and sell. Will have to check with the local store!

The stores will have a set, best bet is to call one and say 'you've sold out before lunchtime on saturday, can I reserve one?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

serious gaylord posted:

Space Hulk has sold out on the UK website.

Oh god it's the void shield generator all over again. Why won't you let me give you my money, GW? :orks:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

serious gaylord posted:

The stores will have a set, best bet is to call one and say 'you've sold out before lunchtime on saturday, can I reserve one?

Yeah, have a friend try to reserve one for him and one for me, if he can't get a second he'll pick one up for on Saturday when he gets his. Busy month painting!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I expect a fair amount of people buying online are just wanting to re-sell on ebay. Last time it came out the website sold out really quickly too. Luckily the store near me had loads of copies still in stock when I finished work on the saturday afternoon.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I have found a thing of power. These things are the Kustom Mega Kannons. They hate-gently caress anything and everything: I took 3 in a 500-pt 4-player game on a buddy's birthday and the opening salvo ate 2 of his 3 crisis suits and his HQ. The return-swing was having my 3 MANz get utterly wrecked by Vespids and Tau support-fire before dealing a single wound. I'm also considering placing them on a Skyshield Landing Pad for the interchangeable 3+ armor/cover when I'm playing against Knights :argh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Woah, it looks like GW is putting out little supplements for Space Hulk. There's one each for Ultramarines, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves. I'm not really interested in the rerelease since I already have a copy of 3rd edition, but I might grab the Dark Angels mission pack to check it out. It says it has rules for plasma cannons and the halberd of Caliban. Conveniently, I have a bunch of Deathwing sitting around. :getin:

Ultramarines have cyclones and Space Wolves get frost weapons or something.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Do any of you have the crashed Thunderhawk RoB tile from FW? If so, would you mind measuring the height of it from the top of the tail to the bottom of the tile. Thanking you!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sykic posted:

Oh god it's the void shield generator all over again. Why won't you let me give you my money, GW? :orks:

Because they don't want your money, they just want you to acknowledge them as your lord and master.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So I'm refreshing myself on old Necromunda rules and had forgotten how awesome sometimes GW can be and silly. Specifically with the writing, it's actually humorous in parts and has some silly rules, over all way more enjoyable to read.

Specially Mad Donna special character who has the special rule Psycho-Bitch.

Yeah, that would never get published ever today.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Safety Factor posted:

Woah, it looks like GW is putting out little supplements for Space Hulk.

For Mac though.

:negative:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

Woah, it looks like GW is putting out little supplements for Space Hulk. There's one each for Ultramarines, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves. I'm not really interested in the rerelease since I already have a copy of 3rd edition, but I might grab the Dark Angels mission pack to check it out. It says it has rules for plasma cannons and the halberd of Caliban. Conveniently, I have a bunch of Deathwing sitting around. :getin:

Ultramarines have cyclones and Space Wolves get frost weapons or something.

Oh dang, that's pretty neat

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hollismason posted:

So I'm refreshing myself on old Necromunda rules and had forgotten how awesome sometimes GW can be and silly. Specifically with the writing, it's actually humorous in parts and has some silly rules, over all way more enjoyable to read.

Specially Mad Donna special character who has the special rule Psycho-Bitch.

Yeah, that would never get published ever today.

Yeah, today's wargaming needs more blatant misogyny.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The special rule "pimp hand" counters it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Whatever the books have a more fun tone and feel to them and have some sort of character.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I know there's the grognards thread and the notable gaming experiences threads, but is there a gaming horror story thread? Can't get enough of mad ham stories.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I've been commissioned to paint up a bunch of stormboyz and this is turning into a miserable experience because the guy got these second-hand and whoever assembled them beforehand did it with hot glue.

And the problem is that it isn't just slathered on there or anything, oh no, they actually managed to do it with some modicum of skills but it still oozed around spots so I have to caaarefully trim off the excess gunk without damaging the plastic.

Some loving people in this hobby.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

I've been commissioned to paint up a bunch of stormboyz and this is turning into a miserable experience because the guy got these second-hand and whoever assembled them beforehand did it with hot glue.

And the problem is that it isn't just slathered on there or anything, oh no, they actually managed to do it with some modicum of skills but it still oozed around spots so I have to caaarefully trim off the excess gunk without damaging the plastic.

Some loving people in this hobby.

If its really annoying you, the glue will melt before the plastic components. Just about.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

If its really annoying you, the glue will melt before the plastic components. Just about.

It's annoying as hell, but I figure that it's better to just scrape the excess off and call it a day than to carefully heat up sections of 10 models, pry them apart, then scrape off all the hot glue on each joint.

It's not like the customer is going to notice. He thinks everything I paint is gold for some bizarre reason.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

It's annoying as hell, but I figure that it's better to just scrape the excess off and call it a day than to carefully heat up sections of 10 models, pry them apart, then scrape off all the hot glue on each joint.

It's not like the customer is going to notice. He thinks everything I paint is gold for some bizarre reason.

Well I was thinking just heat up an oven, wack em on a tray and bake them for a few minutes. Will make the glue gooey enough that you could pull everything apart. Much easier to clean without taking chunks out of models.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

For Mac though.

:negative:

Yeah, I'm betting they'll put it out in ebook too though. Otherwise, I'll be out of luck.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Soaking in hot water will soften the hot glue to the point where you can safely pull them apart to clean properly. It will come off quite easily once you've done that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Do any of you have the crashed Thunderhawk RoB tile from FW? If so, would you mind measuring the height of it from the top of the tail to the bottom of the tile. Thanking you!

It's a Forgeworld tile, it should be obvious who you need to ask!

Paging Ghost Hand to the thread :v:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

NTRabbit posted:

It's a Forgeworld tile, it should be obvious who you need to ask!

Paging Ghost Hand to the thread :v:

On it.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

5 and 3/4 inches from top of tail to TOP of tile. 6" from top of tail to bottom of tile. The Tile is about 1/4 inch thick at its smallest thickness.

That's as best as I could measure. The tile isn't really easy to measure since it has such variable heights. But it appears to be 6" at its highest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 14, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Throb Robinson posted:

Im interested in building a Terminus Ultra Land Raider for my Ultramarines but it seems GW doesn't sell the conversion kit anymore. Anyone know anywhere I could buy a predator side sponson without having to buy the whole predator?

You can always try eBay. Sellers like Hoard O' Bits will part out kits though you'll pay a premium.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

On it.

5 and 3/4 inches from top of tail to TOP of tile. 6" from top of tail to bottom of tile. The Tile is about 1/4 inch thick at its smallest thickness.

That's as best as I could measure. The tile isn't really easy to measure since it has such variable heights. But it appears to be 6" at its highest.

Cheers, ducky. Nice paintjob by the way.

Now that one of my hamfriends is living within a reasonable distance we've been turning my dump of a garage into a proper nerd cave. Thanks to you I now know that the cabinet we built to store my RoB boards wont hold both of them and the Thunderhawk tile. I can try to incorporate storing it into the cabinets (four 2'x4') we're going to build to function as the base for our 8'x4' tabletop.

It still needs the sides sealed and doors attached, but here's my shrine to wasted money:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
After 9 days and using pretty much all of my free time on it, I got the Hive Knight completed. I know it's not perfect, but I love it dearly.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

not lame! posted:

In a similar vein then, are chaos marines in rhinos a good unit? With cultists to hold objectives?
Chaos Marines really need the mobility Rhinos provide. Cultists are as good a cheap objective holder as you could hope for, but I like running them in a horde up with my dudes for theme's sake. I also like 20 man hordes of Chaos marines, but they're really just big targets for blast weapons.

Throb Robinson posted:

Also Im trying to complete my Ultramarines collection of models. Got Calgary and guard, Sicarius, Sgt. Telion and pretty much anything Ultramarines unique character from the sixth edition. Is there anything older or newer Ultramarines Centric I don't know about?

I got the Tyrannic war vets and a Venerable Ultramarines Dread. Just looking for anything else I might have missed.
This was a Captain Sicarius model that came out in 4th edition if you subscribed to White Dwarf:

The Skullz program back in 3rd had an Ultramarine banner bearer:

Skullz also had an Iwo Jima-style diorama with an Ultramarine:

If you go further back, Rogue Trader/2nd edition had an older version of Tigurius, a generic Ultramarine captain (who would become Sicarius) and another Calgar which I've painted:

And if you want to go back to the old, old days, there was a Space Marine commander that became Marneus Calgar:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Master Twig posted:

After 9 days and using pretty much all of my free time on it, I got the Hive Knight completed. I know it's not perfect, but I love it dearly.

Dude that thing looks wicked awesome.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

Disappointed. You didn't stick a carnifex head at the end of the gun barrel vomiting out acid. 0/5

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hive Knight awesomeness! I love this thread.

Any UK goons in the North/Midlands: none of my group can or wants to go to Warhammer Fest, does anyone want to go? My fiancé says she'll go with me (I can't drive, technically) but she'll be bored out of her mind and I'll pay for at least half the ticket if someone who wants to go all day will drive me. either Saturday or Sunday is fine with me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Here's a thing I don't understand about the Maelstrom missions. The way it's written, you're supposed to track which mission numbers have already been rolled up and re-roll for anything that's already been generated. This is simplified by using a single deck of cards between two players. But then they have the replacement cards for the new codexes. In the new books (I haven't bought replacement cards) do they all replace the same set of the core mission cards, or is it possible for, say, an Ork player and a Space Wolf player to each introduce a new set of cards into the common mission deck so as to not have to have two decks out to play the game? Like does one book replace the Capture and Control cards while the other replaces Take and Hold or do they both replace Capture and Control or what?

Because it seems like you could have a cool thing going if you introduced both armies special cards and swapped out two levels of the "take objective 2" cards. If you drew your enemy's cards, discarding would be a real strong thing going for you.

I guess here's what I'd do. Put both your cards and your enemy's into the deck. Swap out two core classes of cards. Double the value of your faction's objectives. Cards are drawn after deployment. The first player can mulligan, but they give up Initiative. If he does, the second player can mulligan and pass it back. But if the first player declines to mulligan, the second player can still discard as many as they like and draw up to a full hand, but the first player gets to redeploy a unit for every card discarded.

If you win a challenge, you can grab a card from the discard pile. Now you've got to choose whether to get rid of your opponent's card and maybe draw something more useful to you and risk that they're going to challenge you and take it and score it, or keep it in your hand and deny them the whole game.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 14, 2014

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So far all the army specific objectives have replaced 11 to 16 - if you're using one deck for both players, just have them replace draws of those numbers with their own ones, rather than shuffling in each player's special ones (which have different card backs anyway).

RAW each player is meant to use their own deck, but we found at the meet up that one deck between players works about as well.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Zark the Damned posted:

RAW each player is meant to use their own deck

Cite that for me, good buddy. I want to know.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Apparently I misremembered, it's not explicit in the rules, but it's heavily implied.

Big book p 136 (not sure if the small book has the same numbers), under Generating Tactical Objectives. Basically it says that re-rolling duplicate objectives is on a per-player basis, i.e. reroll if you already rolled that objective, you and your opponent are allowed to generate the same objectives (so you can both get Kingslayer etc.).

The only bit about cards (small box on the next page) says if you have a deck you can shuffle and draw instead of rolling on the chart.

The implication is that each player should use their own deck so you can both draw the same objectives, since if you use the same deck there's no way of getting the same objective as your opponent.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah we've been playing it as each player should have the own deck as well. We haven't had that many games of 7th so far but everyone has their own deck. Once the faction specific decks get mixed in things could get lost and mixed up, etc.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Agreed. Each player has their own deck. Since individual codexes are releasing their own mission cards specifically for that army, it doesn't make much sense to use a shared pool of cards.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

krushgroove posted:

Yeah we've been playing it as each player should have the own deck as well. We haven't had that many games of 7th so far but everyone has their own deck. Once the faction specific decks get mixed in things could get lost and mixed up, etc.

We also have been playing with a deck per player. I never got the impression players were supposed to share a single deck, and the faction specific decks are complete sets, not just the replacements for cards 11-16, which further supports the belief each player should have his or her own deck.

But just wait six months for 8E to clear it all up. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aw, dangit.

• Locked thread