Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Aren't you supposed to get a sponsor if you are going to Korea? I'm about to run out of time before I leave and no email yet.

It's a sign. Skip at the airport and start a new life in Thailand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Aren't you supposed to get a sponsor if you are going to Korea? I'm about to run out of time before I leave and no email yet.

Korea is a hard core clusterfuck.

If you get a sponsor, you'll probably end up in a different unit or he'll PCS or be in jail by the time you get there.

That fuckin place.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I don't even remember if I officially had a sponsor or not. If I did, I couldn't tell you who it was.

The entire loving plane took off from Sea-Tac and was a military charter with nothing but military on it. We landed in Osan, and were all bused to Yongsan. We did some in-processing there, and stayed in a hotel in Itaewon.

The next day they bused my rear end to Suwon, and the suck started. (This was 2005)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nine times out of ten you'll be better off without a sponsor swinging his incompetence around like a night stick and ruining something in your life in new and inventive ways. Of course, it's Korea. You won't be better off. Ever. From the moment you step on that plane the only question you will be able to answer is "Does this suck, or does this loving suck?"

Dumbass punched a local at a bar? Nobody below O1 or E-FuckYou off post for a month. Someone missed an ASAP meeting? General order 1 for everyone. 16 hour mission starting at 11 PM yesterday? gently caress you, watch this don't-rape-people power point while some pencil pushing cock holster with a nine-to-five position lectures you about how you're a soldier 24/7 and sometimes you have to stay a little past 5 so quit your bitching and don't fall asleep.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
man i'm so glad i never got orders to korea

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah I guess after three deployments to include getting back earlier this year I need to get some Korea experience. I just finished over a year and a half in company command and one of the many responsibilities was to quickly get sponsors for all inbounds, usually within a couple days of them receiving an RFO. And this is at Hood, where it's really simple and no need for a sponsor. It's been a month and a half for me now and nothing.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Yeah I guess after three deployments to include getting back earlier this year I need to get some Korea experience. I just finished over a year and a half in company command and one of the many responsibilities was to quickly get sponsors for all inbounds, usually within a couple days of them receiving an RFO. And this is at Hood, where it's really simple and no need for a sponsor. It's been a month and a half for me now and nothing.

Deployed company commander worried about his sponsor

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

With all due respect sir, it sounds like you're looking for a cock to suck in korea.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Company commander doesn't realize sponsors are a thing the Army fucks up completely with such regularity that for practical purposes they don't exist.

Army.txt

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

All you have to do is squint a little bit and change around a few words to get a view of your future.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Sponsors? What? Like, someone to hold your hand and walk you around post and show you where the PX is and make sure you don't check on your weapon card?

AHAHAHAHHA!

gently caress that. The military is like goddamn Lord of the Flies. They have some hung over E-1 pick you up at 21st, half your poo poo falls out of the back of the should be deadlined vehicle, someone steals your loving ruck while you sign in, then they give you a room full of motherfuckers with faces like sheep killing dogs. Oh, and formation is at 0500, you inbred moron human being cocksucker, don't be late.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I think I was given a sponsor when I first got to my unit. He ETS'd that same month.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I just had a couple loving questions to ask is all. I am pretty good at just figuring poo poo out when I get there, it'd be nice just to prepare a bit.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Find a juicy girl, I bet she knows your post inside and out. Just don't lick the tires.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon

I just had a couple loving questions to ask is all. I am pretty good at just figuring poo poo out when I get there, it'd be nice just to prepare a bit.

If your going to be getting accounts, you may wanna try knocking out the dumb pre-req certs if you'res have expired.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

McSpatula posted:

Find a juicy girl, I bet she knows your post inside and out. Just don't lick the tires.

No poo poo, juicy girls knew when we had field exercises coming up, when we had alerts, all the good poo poo.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

not caring here posted:

No poo poo, juicy girls knew when we had field exercises coming up, when we had alerts, all the good poo poo.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU POST ON SOCIAL MEDIA, OPSEC!

Uh I hate to break it to you top, but...

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I came to Korea as part of a unit, but since I was torch I went to WRC. Pretty sure they'll give you a sponsor there or that will be your de facto "sponsor".

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
the only sponsors i ever heard about in korea were people who used to be in aa but fell off the wagon

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

Got tasked as the investigating officer for a FLIPL yesterday. All the investigations were already done, but I had to do the final report. In short, a soldier received a call from his wife saying there was a fire in their garage. He comes home and finds a large portion of his TA-50 in flames. But that's it. Just his TA-50 was burned to a crisp. And the incident happened 9 months ago. What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

stevenolson88 posted:

Got tasked as the investigating officer for a FLIPL yesterday. All the investigations were already done, but I had to do the final report. In short, a soldier received a call from his wife saying there was a fire in their garage. He comes home and finds a large portion of his TA-50 in flames. But that's it. Just his TA-50 was burned to a crisp. And the incident happened 9 months ago. What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this?

If it's anything like my unit, he'll be liable no matter what. And so will his first line, the commander, and the XO (even if they weren't in the unit when this happened). Not based on experience or anything.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

stevenolson88 posted:

Find him not liable for anything? Look out for your soldiers!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Nimmy posted:

Find him not liable for anything? Look out for your soldiers!

Yeah, I never understood why other officers seemed to err in favor of the army on this one. We waste so much loving money and resources, but when it comes time to give a soldier a break or, god forbid, let him get away with something stupid, people want to drop the hammer every time. I didn't investigate many FLIPLs but never saw the point, in the ones I did do, in punishing anyone unless it was blatantly obvious theft or negligence.

Oh no, a 20 year old tent went missing. What the gently caress are we gonna do now? etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Oh no, a 20 year old tent went missing. What the gently caress are we gonna do now? etc.

Amazing how big a hard on the Army has for individual half shelters.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Nimmy posted:

Find him not liable for anything?

lol in you ever recommend anything other than this on any 15-6 or flipl no matter what you burning mega retard

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Amazing how big a hard on the Army has for individual half shelters.

Jesus Christ, you guys still have those loving things?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

50 Foot Ant posted:

Jesus Christ, you guys still have those loving things?

Yep. They were always on the packing list.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

So the packing list still contains:

3 uniforms
1 pair extra boots
6 pair socks
6 tent pegs
3 tent poles
1 sleeping pad
1 shelter half
Whatever else the retarded chain of command wants to add...

I ****NEVER**** used my loving shelter half in my entire time as anything but some canvas to line the inside of my ruck with except for the 2 times I went to NTC and they made us stay in that dumb loving area. And that always sucked. Who wants to be that close to ANYONE at ANYTIME. Escpecially if you ended up with some fat gently caress or that weird guy that smells like bad mayo and stupidity?

With all the other changes, who the gently caress thinks those dumbass things are going to work as anything but the first thing you toss in the back of the truck, in the toolbox, and forget about?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They became completely pointless with the advent of the 3-piece sleep system. Keeps you warm and dry and makes your patrol base look like it's full of bodybags.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Got into a pissing match with my HHT commander for not deploying to Jalalabad with my gas mask; he never came through on the statement of charges he threatened.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

They became completely pointless with the advent of the 3-piece sleep system. Keeps you warm and dry and makes your patrol base look like it's full of bodybags.

The only thing better than a bivy bag is a hammock tent, and the two go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Hi. Did the desert thing for a few months and have enough internet to return to the goon lair. You are all still homoerotic and self-depreciating as ever, which is oddly comforting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

iceslice posted:

Hi. Did the desert thing for a few months and have enough internet to return to the goon lair. You are all still homoerotic and self-depreciating as ever, which is oddly comforting.

Were you around when IDR was outed?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Maybe? He was a marine and claimed to be more, right?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

iceslice posted:

Maybe? He was a marine and claimed to be more, right?

close enough.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551832
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552039

Never gets old. :)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
iceslice you're 10th right?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
No, 1st.

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

The only thing better than a bivy bag is a hammock tent, and the two go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

I slept in my hammock on a C-17 with my puss pad and wubi, and green sleeping bag. It was totally worth carrying since its like 22 hours in the back of one of those things. Life so was so good when it could have been so bad.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 13, 2014

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

iceslice posted:

No, 1st.

I slept in my hammock on a C-17 with my puss pad and wubi, and green sleeping bag. It was totally worth carrying since its like 22 hours in the back of one of those things. Life so was so good when it could have been so bad.

Did the hammock ever shake enough that ...it distressed you and made you rethink that decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

C-17 was pretty drat comfortable compared to some of the bullshit I've had to sleep in / on / around. Sleeping bag on the ramp and I'd be out like a light. :3: Beats a drat cot through novelty alone.

• Locked thread