Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

The statistics released Friday by the New Jersey Judiciary show that over the past four years in New Jersey, there have been 15,029 domestic violence cases involving assault. A total of 70 -- less than half of 1 percent of those assault cases -- have wound up in pretrial intervention.

The statistics do not indicate whether the cases cited involved first-time offenders, and are not separated county-by-county. The data also do not break down PTI granted for varying degrees of assault, such as aggravated assault in the third degree, a more serious charge than the assault that Rice faced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There went some careers.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

There went some careers.

More like paid leave. If you looked at all those cases they were probably loving loaded also

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

This is the real scandal.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just saw a quote on the espn ticker about the "entire redskins organization" standing by Goodell. :Ironicat

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

effectual posted:

Just saw a quote on the espn ticker about the "entire redskins organization" standing by Goodell. :Ironicat

Yep.

quote:

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Redskins owner Dan Snyder says he supports NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, stating he "has always had the best interests of football at heart" and "we are fortunate to have him."

The team released a two-sentence statement on Saturday morning, following a week of criticism of Goodell and his handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence case. Video of Rice punching his then-fiancee became public and Goodell says he never saw it until it surfaced.

The Associated Press reported a law enforcement official sent the video to the league in April.

On Friday, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was indicted in Texas for using a branch to spank one of his sons, then benched by Minnesota.

Snyder is under pressure to change his team's nickname, but has vowed he never will. Goodell has supported Snyder's stance.

Douchebags gotta stick together.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Things Mark Davis has never asked Roger Goodell: does my hair look good? Would be dad be proud of me?

"Let's focus on stopping violence towards women so we can redirect it to the football field. Preferably after the play has stopped."

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

davecrazy posted:

nope the important issue here is if he originally should have gotten 2 games or 4, not if the NFL is bribing judges

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

ironlung posted:

nope the important issue here is if he originally should have gotten 2 games or 4, not if the NFL is bribing judges

Why would bribery be involved when he had the privilege of being a famous football player?

They don't do time for this sort of thing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Ray showed up with his family at his high school

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Though it's been obvious forever, it's fascinating to see how the kind of cultural elevation of football competition over civic and moral responsibility that was shown in Bissinger's Friday Night Lights can be correlated from the high school level all the way up to the professionals. This is perhaps the most egregious, popular, and damning example of it that we've ever seen.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Probably not really. Rice's legal team probably cost more than what most of those other wife beaters spent on lawyers combined. It's not like rich people getting superior legal treatment is a shunned thing in the justice system.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also it's Atlantic City, isn't it government officials jobs not to give a poo poo about crimes?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Schiano men get the benefit of the doubt here in New Jersey.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Probably not really. Rice's legal team probably cost more than what most of those other wife beaters spent on lawyers combined. It's not like rich people getting superior legal treatment is a shunned thing in the justice system.
Especially pro football players.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

Exactly. This kind of poo poo happens every day.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Especially pro football players.
The fact that he's a pro football player may be the only reason we know about this at all. I'm sure there are richer men than Ray Rice out there who have gotten away with with worse, and we have no idea who they are because they aren't on our TV screens every Sunday for 17 weeks a year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

effectual posted:

Of course they will stand behind him, he's been the one deflecting criticism of the team name on behalf of Snyder.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So not only is Goodell douchebag, but it's looking like everyone in the NFL is standing by their man?

So... hockey starts soon.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

So not only is Goodell douchebag, but it's looking like everyone in the NFL is standing by their man?

So... hockey starts soon.

The thing is the owners can have any stooge they want as commissioner, but I don't think they can have somebody so...eager I guess to look the other way every single time. If he ends up staying, it's not because they don't feel they can make as much money as they would with anybody else in his position (it's football, they could. easily), but because they don't feel they can get away with as much stupid and heinous poo poo as they would with anybody else in his position. And they're probably right.

Go Penguins :sigh:

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

davecrazy posted:

Schiano men get the benefit of the doubt here in New Jersey.

that 2007 season got rutgers their stadium addition

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

The thing is the owners can have any stooge they want as commissioner, but I don't think they can have somebody so...eager I guess to look the other way every single time. If he ends up staying, it's not because they don't feel they can make as much money as they would with anybody else in his position (it's football, they could. easily), but because they don't feel they can get away with as much stupid and heinous poo poo as they would with anybody else in his position. And they're probably right.

Go Penguins :sigh:

The owners are clearly very vested in this fight from a pro-domestic violence perspective, and they will do anything to win that battle. Goodell isn't going anywhere. For real though, he's been commissioner for a long time, and he's friends with everyone, so they're not going to jump ship unless he becomes completely toxic.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

Ray showed up with his family at his high school

What else was he supposed to do?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Lorini posted:

ESPN had an interesting article about that. A sizeable number of NFL fans are mad because 'reality' is interrupting their football game.

This was way, way back in the thread but I work with an enormous football fan and he is no Ravens fan but he loving hates that 'political correctness' (his definition of PC issues: domestic violence, drug use, CTE) is currently ruining his sports hobby.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Ray Rice will be back reinstated next year. Goodell will still be commish, nothing will change except a few on field rules and you will still watch.

NFL wins.

Cole fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 14, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cole posted:

Ray Rice will be back next year. Goodell will still be commish, nothing will change except a few on field rules and you will still watch.

NFL wins.

Nope, maybe, yep, nope.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

davecrazy posted:

This x1000.

The idea that the commissioner of the NFL should break out the moral abacus, compare the relative immorality of killing X dogs vs. punching your fiancee vs. screaming racist poo poo vs. getting in a drunken brawl outside a strip club vs. cheating on your taxes vs. almost certainly raping somebody vs. driving a car while high/drunk/texting vs. shooting a gun in a night club but not actually hitting anybody vs. all the other immoral poo poo people can do, and then mete out the appropriate penalty is pants-on-head retarded. Most of the outrage is about Goodell getting the math wrong in this case (and he did, and then lied about it). But even if the commissioner tried to do their best, it's an impossible task -- we spend trillions of dollars (and tons of political effort) on a justice system to do these things, and that barely works. But the commissioner won't. At the very least, they'll be extremely biased because the commissioner of the NFL is by definition a person who was hand-picked by a bunch of ancient, ultra-wealthy white guys to represent their interests. Moral opprobrium should be handed out by the courts (and the people Rice interacts with for the rest of his life). It would be glorious to see Goodell, who desperately wanted to become America's Moral Compass (apparently to protect all that is right and good against marihuana and black men who speak loudly or dance in public), brought down by his hubris. But I'm getting less and less hopeful that we'll see this.

Now, there are legitimate "damage to the brand" concerns aside from the "punish the wicked" stuff. But those should be handled by the individual teams rather than the league (which has monopoly power over every reasonably comparable employment opportunity, unlike most other private employers).

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

Cole posted:

Ray Rice will be back next year. Goodell will still be commish, nothing will change except a few on field rules and you will still watch.

NFL wins.

Practically speaking, which team is going to poo poo on any reputation they have left to take a 28 year old back who hasn't played in a year?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mgreen42 posted:

Practically speaking, which team is going to poo poo on any reputation they have left to take a 28 year old back who hasn't played in a year?

By that point he wouldn't even have played well in two.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

mgreen42 posted:

I worded it poorly. Reinstated would've been better word choice.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

mgreen42 posted:

Someone will kick the tires as long as he hops on Oprah's couch with Janay and tearfully apologizes while talking about how his faith and love for his wife has changed him

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Who gets signed again first: Ray Rice or Tim Tebow?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mgreen42 posted:

Mike Brown likes "rehab cases". Please don't reinstate this guy.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Cole posted:

Tebow is never coming back, so Rice

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Cole posted:

The heat death of the universe will happen first.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Tebow is never coming back, so Rice

Tebow throwing a dagger into the heart of Stiller nation is one of my top ten football memories.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Tebow throwing a dagger into the heart of Stiller nation is one of my top ten football memories.

Wrong Ben

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
This whole thing has really damaged my excitement for NFL football. To the point where I'm not even excited about the Cardinals game today.

I think this is the beginning of the end of me being a 'fan' of the NFL. I don't mean to sound sanctimonious, I'm not going to tell other people they're bad for watching the NFL or anything like that. I'm sure I'll still watch NFL games here and there, but I don't have the drive for it to be appointment viewing like it was before all this.

I know domestic violence isn't a problem endemic to the league and it's more a problem with society as a whole but in order to...'change things', even internally in regards to better empathizing and understanding the problem, there has to be a starting point. I think this is mine.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Ultraviolet, a woman’s advocacy organization, will fly planes over three football stadiums on Sunday and Monday with the message: “@UltraViolet: #GoodellMustGo.”

“One plane will fly over MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, before the New YorkGiants’ game against the Arizona Cardinals. Banners will also be displayed above stadiums in Cleveland and San Francisco, along with one ahead of the Monday night NFL game in Indianapolis,” Bloomberg reports.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Cole posted:

Richie Incognito--he's the only one that's at least mediocre at his position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Crow_Robot posted:

This whole thing has really damaged my excitement for NFL football. To the point where I'm not even excited about the Cardinals game today.

I think this is the beginning of the end of me being a 'fan' of the NFL. I don't mean to sound sanctimonious, I'm not going to tell other people they're bad for watching the NFL or anything like that. I'm sure I'll still watch NFL games here and there, but I don't have the drive for it to be appointment viewing like it was before all this.

I know domestic violence isn't a problem endemic to the league and it's more a problem with society as a whole but in order to...'change things', even internally in regards to better empathizing and understanding the problem, there has to be a starting point. I think this is mine.

Eh you're not alone - I'm not watching anything today, it's just kind of like every person in the league has been laid bare as horrible as long as Goodell is in a position of power.

• Locked thread