Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is anyone else having an issue submitting for track 6? I keep getting an error telling me to check the file and try again later. I tried multiple replays and got the same result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ViggyNash posted:

Is anyone else having an issue submitting for track 6? I keep getting an error telling me to check the file and try again later. I tried multiple replays and got the same result.
I just checked it, should be working now.

Since we're half-way through this, what's everyone's views on the current season length? We normally do 10 Tracks + Goon Tracks + Bonus, and usually by the end everyone has long dropped out or burned out. :v: However we also got a whole bunch of new players which probably never want this to end. So what are your thoughts?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'm enjoying it a lot, but if it goes on too long, I will start forgetting about it and lose interest.

(I'm also 4th from the bottom of people who have submitted every time, so...)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
"We" can always do a winter sequel right after. Keep it on schedule.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SupSuper posted:

I just checked it, should be working now.

Since we're half-way through this, what's everyone's views on the current season length? We normally do 10 Tracks + Goon Tracks + Bonus, and usually by the end everyone has long dropped out or burned out. :v: However we also got a whole bunch of new players which probably never want this to end. So what are your thoughts?

This length is fine. Too long and people will burn out. I remember during the last season by track 8 or 9 I just wanted it to loving end from burn out.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Maybe it's because I hopped in a few races late but I'm feeling good about 10+B+GTs length. Tracks this season have been nice and varied so I feel like I'm working different stuff each week, keeps it fresh.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Thistledown posted:

Maybe it's because I hopped in a few races late but I'm feeling good about 10+B+GTs length. Tracks this season have been nice and varied so I feel like I'm working different stuff each week, keeps it fresh.

My opinion is the same for the most part. As long as they stay varied, ill probably keep going.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I was feeling pretty burned out at the end of last season but I had been playing a lot of Trackmania back then.

I'm enjoying this season so I can keep going on forever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FillInTheBlank posted:

I was feeling pretty burned out at the end of last season but I had been playing a lot of Trackmania back then.

Trackmania Forever

:getin:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

FillInTheBlank posted:

Don't worry, you'll feel that burn once you see the Goon Tracks. :getin:

To put things in perspective, this is the way the schedule is currently going:

This means you'll have played Trackmania for 3 months straight. And probably a lot of people will run out of holidays soon, if they haven't already.

Some people suggested shortening it to 10 tracks total:

Or even giving more time to the Goon Tracks:

In any case, the Goon Tracks are finished and Entropist can keep cranking out more regular tracks, so it's all up to you guys. I don't wanna be down to 10 participants in a week or so. :v:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Personally I think I'm all for shortening it to 10 tracks in either variant. It perfectly fits with university starting off again for me. Although no matter how we are running things I'm probably going to participate right till the end.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

SupSuper posted:

Or even giving more time to the Goon Tracks:

I support this because I want to see the monstrosities we call goon tracks as soon as possible. :suspense:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

CVE posted:

Personally I think I'm all for shortening it to 10 tracks in either variant. It perfectly fits with university starting off again for me. Although no matter how we are running things I'm probably going to participate right till the end.

Same for me.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Neofelis posted:

I support this because I want to see the monstrosities we call goon tracks as soon as possible. :suspense:

I've been working on scenery, cams, etc. for the Goontracks, and so got a sneak peek as to what

CVE posted:

my part, the Icarus Drop
is all about.

CVE, you win the Goonmania Douche Award this year, at least in my opinion.
Respect.

:gibs::hf::gibs:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm for shortening it to 10. I think a week is enough for each goon track, too.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
My vote goes for the longest option. It takes about a week for a video to be made (gather replays, make cams, record videos, commentary, editing) anyway and I don't have time to do more than that even if I wanted to.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I am enjoying it and will stick it out until the end, so I see no problem with 10 tracks, the bonus, and goon tracks.

On this current track I am surprised at how well just slowing down at sections instead of trying to drift makes all the difference on time. I also feel I am getting much better at the game, he says, probably getting 30th again.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

On this current track I am surprised at how well just slowing down at sections instead of trying to drift makes all the difference on time.

This is one of those things that doesn't seem all that obvious or intuitive when you haven't played the game much, but it's certainly true sometimes.

Re: time/schedule, like Grawl, I'm fine with anything that doesn't involve shortening the 1 track = 1 week equation any further (and I certainly wouldn't mind lengthening it, but am worried folks might lose interest).

Hell, if we went to 1 track every 2 weeks, I could probably do this poo poo forever, as long as I just have to do cams and participate. :)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Im for that last option.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Alright, by popular vote we're going with this then (10 total tracks, goontracks released earlier):

To clarify, all the options still give you at least a whole week for each track, that's not changing. And on that note don't forget, you still have a replay to send in by this Monday. ;)

Foozle
May 29, 2006
I'm not sure if I'm burning out on trackmania or if it's just the current track that isn't doing it for me. There's a couple bits where I keep getting wedged under geometry that are getting frustrating. Also just gently caress that dirt bit. I know it can be done better but I might as well be riding around that on a tricycle.

It's going to suck if I have to submit my current time because I know it's really half-assed. I can reliably knock almost a half second off my time by the third checkpoint but then everything falls to poo poo.

Looking forward to a new track tomorrow and seeing what kind of abomination the first goon track is this year.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Foozle posted:

I'm not sure if I'm burning out on trackmania or if it's just the current track that isn't doing it for me. There's a couple bits where I keep getting wedged under geometry that are getting frustrating. Also just gently caress that dirt bit. I know it can be done better but I might as well be riding around that on a tricycle.

It's going to suck if I have to submit my current time because I know it's really half-assed. I can reliably knock almost a half second off my time by the third checkpoint but then everything falls to poo poo.

Looking forward to a new track tomorrow and seeing what kind of abomination the first goon track is this year.

Dirt? Except for the grass turn at the end, you don't need to touch the dirt at all.

e: Unless of course I'm doing this completely wrong. If I've learned anything here, it's that's always possible.

Foozle
May 29, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Dirt? Except for the grass turn at the end, you don't need to touch the dirt at all.

e: Unless of course I'm doing this completely wrong. If I've learned anything here, it's that's always possible.

I dunno. If I avoid the dirt entirely, I lose almost all my speed or end up into the wall. Otherwise, I clip some part of it and then I'm upside down. I haven't gone through that corner yet where it just felt right

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ViggyNash posted:

I avoid the dirt myself. I lose too much speed going into the dirt, and you don't accelerate as well on the dirt either. That's just me though, I'm willing to admit it's the slower of all your options and I just haven't found the right line yet.

I'm paranoid about this track because my run is very solid, but I feel like I'm missing something. I don't know what it is, I just feel like there's some huge time saver somewhere that I haven't found yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Renegret posted:

I avoid the dirt myself. I lose too much speed going into the dirt, and you don't accelerate as well on the dirt either. That's just me though, I'm willing to admit it's the slower of all your options and I just haven't found the right line yet.

If we're talking about the dirt patches after going under the curved sculpture bit, I just powerslide my way around the dirt curve. It keeps speed pretty well and you don't lose control like you would coming off the dirt.

Renegret posted:

I'm paranoid about this track because my run is very solid, but I feel like I'm missing something. I don't know what it is, I just feel like there's some huge time saver somewhere that I haven't found yet.

I kinda have the same feeling, especially because I'm not using that odd jump pad towards the end. I can't take a sharp enough turn and keep enough speed to be able to jump the block, and I don't feel like you lose much speed just going around. My prediction is that Entropist uses it effortlessly and gets a gains a good second on us chumps.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

You can save a lot of time there if you stick close to the curve corner so you don't actually touch the grass and get a lot more speed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ViggyNash posted:

I kinda have the same feeling, especially because I'm not using that odd jump pad towards the end. I can't take a sharp enough turn and keep enough speed to be able to jump the block, and I don't feel like you lose much speed just going around. My prediction is that Entropist uses it effortlessly and gets a gains a good thirty seconds on us chumps.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hey. My run uses that ramp and yeah it did shave a second off my time.

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON
I should be able to shave at least a second of my current best time using my current route, but I just can't pull off all parts correctly in one run. Frustrating, but whatever. I've spent enough time on this track. Bring on the new one tomorrow!

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I'm just glad I improved enough that I didn't have to send in my replay with me hitting a wall.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Raldan posted:

I'm just glad I improved enough that I didn't have to send in my replay with me hitting a wall.

There are times when hitting a wall is faster.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Well, I suppose I mean less "hitting a wall" and more "crashing into a wall". It's really sad when you're up a second on your previous best and you just completely gently caress up an easy turn and lose all that time. I would rather not expose my shame to the world.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

FillInTheBlank posted:

There are times when hitting a wall is faster.

I think I know the exact spot you are talking about.

Foozle
May 29, 2006
So I'm well over a second in the blue coming up to the ramp before the grass, feeling good that I can finally get a decent run when the screen flips back to the desktop: "A new version of iTunes is available for download."

Could be the universe is trying to tell me something.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Yeah, update your iTunes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah, uninstall iTunes.

Foozle
May 29, 2006
Walked into that, I guess.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Hey. My run uses that ramp and yeah it did shave a second off my time.
I always use the ramp, as long as you don't hit any of the bumps before it you should always have enough speed to make it.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
I just got three and a quarter seconds off my time on my last desperation run of the night... never give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I didn't even know you could go around. Thank god it's the slow way or I would be real mad.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I think I know the exact spot you are talking about.

There's one or two wall bangs I think might be faster but they are really hard ones to pull off.
One is hitting this part of the CP which slows you down and angles you perfectly into the dirt without the need for you to brake.

I don't pull either off in my current PB so don't fret.

Edit: Wow is my PB horrible. There's an easy 1s to take off at least.
Edit2: and there goes 0.80 off.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread