Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Why not just outsource it to some Africans for 1/100th of the costs and no pesky labour regulations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Bifauxnen posted:

Wha?! Did they actually explicitly tell you it was cause you're white?

Nah, coworker mentioned I was getting g a key, and I said "already?! What if I'm a burglar? I've only been here a month". Cue him telling me that coz I'm white it's all good.

Had a meeting a little earlier, was told I was picking up the job and fitting in nicely. I feel kinda weird about it. On the bright side, my boss is getting promoted and they're now in the process of finding her replacement. Maybe the next one will be less terribly racist? :shobon:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Howard is getting a bit nervous about the precedent of Abbott funding royal commissions into every labor policy of the last six years in The Australian hahahah

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

froglet posted:

Nah, coworker mentioned I was getting g a key, and I said "already?! What if I'm a burglar? I've only been here a month". Cue him telling me that coz I'm white it's all good.

Had a meeting a little earlier, was told I was picking up the job and fitting in nicely. I feel kinda weird about it. On the bright side, my boss is getting promoted and they're now in the process of finding her replacement. Maybe the next one will be less terribly racist? :shobon:

Ah, that's not a whole lot better! Glad to hear you're getting another shot at maybe having a less racist boss, though.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Bifauxnen posted:

Ah, that's not a whole lot better! Glad to hear you're getting another shot at maybe having a less racist boss, though.

Just make a few off-colour jokes and that new boss could be YOU!

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Transubstantiation is stupid

Catholics are stupid

Abbott is stupid.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Gough Suppressant posted:

Howard is getting a bit nervous about the precedent of Abbott funding royal commissions into every labor policy of the last six years in The Australian hahahah

I'm eagerly awaiting the royal commission into business corruption. Like with union corruption, the existing legal framework was clearly inadequate, so an RC is needed.

Also the Iraq invasion, the AWB thing, children overboard, James Hardie, etc etc

i got banned posted:

Catholics are stupid

Abbott is stupid.

Is he stupid because he's a catholic, or a catholic because he's stupid?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Aren't there legit people you can hire in like China you play MMOs for you when you're offline?

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

Mr Chips posted:

Is he stupid because he's a catholic, or a catholic because he's stupid?

Can I say both?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Lets buy some Japaneese subs!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-15/japanese-concerns-over-submarine-deal/5743022

Is there anything these muppets can't gently caress up? This makes the Gillard governments Timor and Malaysia deals (sans consult) seem mild.

quote:

Former senior Japanese military personnel have spoken out for the first time against the submarine deal the Abbott Government hopes to conclude with Japan. Australia is considering buying 10 state-of-the-art Soryu class submarines from Japan, at a reported price of more than $20 billion. But Japanese military insiders have warned that it will cost much more. They told the ABC there was great reluctance within the Japanese military to share their expertise, and said it would take Australia decades to perfect the submarines' top secret technology. The Federal Government wants to replace its Collins class submarines with Soryus by 2030.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Nibbles! posted:

Aren't there legit people you can hire in like China you play MMOs for you when you're offline?

Yeah but anidav sounds like he needs the job and I'm a good bloke. :shrug:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

froglet posted:

Maybe the next one will be less terribly racist? :shobon:

Ah, I remember optimism.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

froglet posted:

What on earth industry do you work in? I don't think I've ever had a new job where I didn't get an office key on the first day...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-15/japanese-concerns-over-submarine-deal/5743022

Is there anything these muppets can't gently caress up? This makes the Gillard governments Timor and Malaysia deals (sans consult) seem mild.

As pointed out in the article, this is really going to piss off China.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nibbles! posted:

Gold farmers, and yeah, but it's not really safe since you have to give them login details and most MMO's strictly forbid account sharing, which is problemating if your IP is Australian and a Chinese IP is logging in to your account regularly.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mills posted:

Yeah but anidav sounds like he needs the job and I'm a good bloke. :shrug:

Lying and/or self-delusion aren't healthy things, Mills.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Mills is right, I do need a job, I handed out 40 resumes in person and 63 seek/gumtree applications last week with the only reply being that shady coffee shop.

A friend told me he hired a graphics designer for 300 dollars to make a crazy artistic resume and he got a casual job that gives him less than 10 hours a week.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Buying military tech without full tech transfer seems to be A Thing We Do. We'll have stuff-all ability to fix/upgrade/mod the F-35s too, which seems a bit dumb when compared to things like Rafale or Gripen which come with a full tech transfer (plus cost less and perform better). Apparently DSTO were able to hack the F/A-18A's computers to enable modes the yanks disabled before selling them to us.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 15, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It feels like there should be some nationalistic xenophobic rhetoric against buying submarines from Japan. Weren't we fighting them just a few years ago?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

i got banned posted:

Can I say both?

He made the worst of a bad situation in any event

edit: Well poo poo I hadn't refreshed the browser window in a while, don't mind me

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Shadeoses posted:

It feels like there should be some nationalistic xenophobic rhetoric against buying submarines from Japan. Weren't we fighting them just a few years ago?

You obviously haven't clicked on the comments section of any of the news articles.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

Mills is right, I do need a job, I handed out 40 resumes in person and 63 seek/gumtree applications last week with the only reply being that shady coffee shop.

A friend told me he hired a graphics designer for 300 dollars to make a crazy artistic resume and he got a casual job that gives him less than 10 hours a week.

What qualifications do you have? I mean I know it's bad out there but I've never heard of anyone having this much trouble finding work.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mate, didn't you hear how badly labor ruined the economy? It'll be years, decades even before Australia is fixed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shadeoses posted:

Bill Shorten posted:

This is a government with a short memory. In the Second World War, 366 merchant ships were sunk off Australia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Splode posted:

What qualifications do you have? I mean I know it's bad out there but I've never heard of anyone having this much trouble finding work.

RSA, RSG, 2 years waiting experience, can drive a forklift (but don't actually hold a license), Coffee making and I'm tall as gently caress and well mannered.

I can forward you my resume if you like, maybe there's some critical mistake I'm making that no one has told me about.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

RSA, RSG, 2 years waiting experience, can drive a forklift (but don't actually hold a license), Coffee making and I'm tall as gently caress and well mannered.

I can forward you my resume if you like, maybe there's some critical mistake I'm making that no one has told me about.

Get a forklift driver's licence and get the hell out of hospitality. I'm pretty sure there's always work for forklift drivers, but nobody wants them unless they're qualified.

Obviously if you can't set aside a huge chunk of your life to get your licence this is poo poo advice. You may as well pm me your resume. maybe you've done something terrible?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Splode posted:

Get a forklift driver's licence and get the hell out of hospitality. I'm pretty sure there's always work for forklift drivers, but nobody wants them unless they're qualified.

Obviously if you can't set aside a huge chunk of your life to get your licence this is poo poo advice. You may as well pm me your resume. maybe you've done something terrible?

They are expensive as gently caress though, If I had a job, I would get one because I would be able to recoup the cost but I'm on lovely centrelink and a forklift licence is $550 in Brisbane.

Yeah sure, I will do it through PMs

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

Apparently DSTO were able to hack the F/A-18A's computers to enable modes the yanks disabled before selling them to us.
I thought this sounded a bit odd so I did a lazy google search. The truth was worse than I imagined.

Kim Beazley posted:

The radar of our Hornet could not identify most of the aircraft in this region as hostile—in other words, our front-line fighter could not shoot down people who would be the enemies in this region. Wasn’t that a wonderful opportunity for the Labor Party to finally lay to rest the ghost of Liberal Party claims to be the people who are best at managing the affairs of the defence of this nation? I shut up; I said nothing.

I went to the United States and, for five years, it was up hill, down dale and one knock-down drag-out after another with Cap Weinberger, Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz. I tried to get the codes of that blasted radar out of them. In the end, we spied on them and we extracted the codes ourselves—and we got another radar that can actually identify them, otherwise I would not be talking about it now. We got a radar that was capable of doing the shoot-down and the rest of what we wanted.
The comments blame it on the US not trusting ASIO or ASIS because they leaked like a sieve. Indonesia flew a bunch of US-export jets and we wanted those flagged as hostile. They could still be fired on but it required warnings to be overridden.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Anidav posted:

They are expensive as gently caress though, If I had a job, I would get one because I would be able to recoup the cost but I'm on lovely centrelink and a forklift licence is $550 in Brisbane.

Yeah sure, I will do it through PMs

If whoever managed the money for the last auspol collection is willing to do it again, I'll gladly contribute :tenbucks: x :tenbucks: and I challenge Mills to show he really is as rich as all that to do the same.

In fact, for every dollar Mills donates, I'll match it (up to $275, obviously).

Let's give Anidav a break.

E: or if Anidav has a PayPal or account he can have it transferred into.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 15, 2014

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cartoon posted:

At least we're going for an off the shelf model rather than some lovely make-work thing using immature technologies like we did with the Collins.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

shalcar posted:

If whoever managed the money for the last auspol collection is willing to do it again, I'll gladly contribute :tenbucks: x :tenbucks: and I challenge Mills to show he really is as rich as all that to do the same.

+1

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I didn't get rich by throwing money away.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Mills posted:

Your glassware and bedside table plans say otherwise.

Regardless, my offers stands with or without your contribution.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Mills posted:

Make your father proud by choosing to be poor as he did.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'll tell you what. I won $50 in the Rugby League thread and the guy doesn't want to pay out (I was thinking about making him eat a bug instead) but I'll cut it to $20 so he's happy and send that to Anidav so you're happy, assuming we can find some way to guarantee it's actually going to a forklift licence.

:shrug:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Wheezle posted:

Make your father proud by choosing to be poor as he did.

Nah, Matisyahu was the one whose dad chose to be poor.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Nah, Matisyahu was the one whose dad chose to be poor.

drat I suck at these driveby shitposts.

Also the other types of posts.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

shalcar posted:

I support this product or service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

At least we're going for an off the shelf model rather than some lovely make-work thing using immature technologies like we did with the Collins.

Collins was a modification to an existing design, it's not like it was a from scratch project. Part of the fuckup was trusting a US MIC company to deliver a working combat system on time and budget. If we have to have these sorts of toys, why not build on the skilled workforce the Collins project created?

• Locked thread