Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm just happy that I finally got some sweet EXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Grey what specific settings did you use for the game, just classic mode?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nice job pummeling their artillery!

Can someone explain what the numbers in the water mean? Why are some dots in the water blue and others gray?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grey, front units are connected to 3 different HQs, you've probably sorted it out, but please check if all od them are close enough for the bonuses.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How is the garrison front doing/ Have we seen any more signs that we'll get invaded/stabbed in the back?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Arcturas posted:

How is the garrison front doing/ Have we seen any more signs that we'll get invaded/stabbed in the back?

All Quiet on the Kawaii Front.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Sultinate attacks as the snow falls, and we suffer our first retreat in a long time.

Our losses are understandably high.

They can advance, but we can blast them back again!

Well, nearly, we have broken them, but they have reserves and we don't at this time.

We hold the line.

Bombs and shells rain down on the enemy lines as I pull back damaged units to refit them.

Its a bad month for the subs, but at least the ground casualties are slackening off.

I hit that hex that is standing out with everything we have, but they still slaughter our troops as they come in!

It is all quiet on the northern front.

Both sides are dug in in a forest that must look hellish at this stage. I have begun to bombard Tabruk with the battleships, this is damaging the cities ability to produce material of war. But we need a new strategy.

Another Sultinate cruiser is spotted, but we can't do much more than chase it off. Annoyingly.

General Comstar is commissioned, and given a command on the coast of the Atific Ocean. We will be attempting to land troops behind the enemy lines.

Another quietish month. We do most of our casualties in our turn, which is not shown on this chart.

A full blockade is in place around Tabruk, but look at the centre number on that southern most stack – nearly 800 in entrenchment!

We take out 25 artillery units before they can reach the front line. This is a good thing. The complete blockade seems to have begun to work.

We break an enemy unit, but are not able to exploit the gap. They enemy seem to have weakened massively.

The blockade continues to work, and the Sultinate continues to attack.

They are a spent force. Its typical really, just as I come up with a grand plan to amphibiously land troops behind their lines, I remember the much simpler option of just starving them out and make a massive breakthrough!

Well, it would be a breakthrough, if I hadn't just burned most of my fuel.

I limit my air support this month, and sidle around the sides. We are almost into open territory – there is a chance I can finish this soon! - The cargo ship holds the only division I can load with the capacity I have – I may as well use them.

The Sultinate forces do not have the strength to attack.

We push forwards a little.

it would be a mistake to rule out the Sultinate yet, as they attack us hard and we take some severe casualties.

The losses are heavy.

The Sultinate has all but retreated to Tabruk. We will now have to besiege them there.

We tighten the noose.

Fuel is an issue once more, but there is only a short way to go!

We begin to hammer Tabruk with everything we have.

Soon.

The Sultinate have given up even trying to send in supplies.

The enemy are coming apart in the ruins of Tabruk.

City fighting can be incredibly viscous, I knock out the location before I attack.

Starved of supplies and shelled to hell and back, the enemy still hold us off.

Fuel recovers slightly, and we see no losses.

HiHo ChiRho of Army Group centre organises the bombardment himself.

The battery is massively effective.

We strike with troops, and a single tank holds us back.

The second wave takes the city.

There is snow on the ground, but the war in the north is over!

Finally.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

What a hellish year for the northern front. Did anything of note happen anywhere else?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Victory, men. Sake and cigars for everyone. Don't get too drunk, we're probably shipping off to some other godforsaken jungle and doing it all over again tomorrow.

One day, this war's gonna be over. :sigh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Makes me glad I joined the air corps. :v:

Then again, I guess the air corps don't get command officers. Oh well!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Makes me glad I joined the air corps. :v:

Then again, I guess the air corps don't get command officers. Oh well!

We should handicap ourselves here by simulating inter-service rivalries in some way.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

quote:

Hey Grey, what's that mysterious "feature" I've gained?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Excellent. I was really starting to get worried we'd end up with a two-front war on our hands.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Now to rail out most of the troops, and get ready to beat up someone else.

Or was there Sultinate land to invade somewhere still?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In my limited experience AI will throw anything to supply their troops, so if Sultanate has given up on supplying that pocket by sea it means Grey either destroyed their navy, they lost ports or they are in the middle of collapse. Which means Grey could try following, which in turn is pretty stupid considering the forces massing on southern front and the fact you'd have to establish secure sealanes. I'm not sure how Grey has set up campaign but by default conquered cities can produce only oil or political points, so there's no chance of taking a factory overseas and make it churn out supplies.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
How did we take such heavy casualties when they attacked us with 16 armored cars, 2 light tanks and 2 rifles? Or were there more attacking units that weren't shown in that screen shot?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
There were no rats left in that city, unlike the actual siege of Tobruk.

After reading a book suggested by the Dragoon History thread, I hope my marine landing will NOT turn out like the Japanese forces at Guadalcanal.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Vorpal Cat posted:

How did we take such heavy casualties when they attacked us with 16 armored cars, 2 light tanks and 2 rifles? Or were there more attacking units that weren't shown in that screen shot?

I attribute our losses to poor morale. Perhaps we should research harsher disciplinary measures to maintain esprit de corps.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

HiHo ChiRho of Army Group centre organises the bombardment himself.

The battery is massively effective.

Yes, I'm finally getting some air time! :getin:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I can't wait to get out of officer training school and get my first command. I'll be a general in no time!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grey Hunter posted:

City fighting can be incredibly viscous, I knock out the location before I attack.

The battle of Molasses Bay :ohdear:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I think I'm going to have to wrap this one up - just because of the stupoid amount of time its taking to do - its not so much the turn itself, which is still a lot of uninteresting moving - its the processing - its takes up to ten minutes a turn atm, which breaks the flow.

Add to this the CM Lp, and that fact that a certain date is coming up, I think I need to cut back on my commitments a little, so this one has to go I'm afraid.

Sorry if this is a disappointment to anyone, but I know when a LP is just not working for me.

I'm off to sharpen my Katana in preperation for something big.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It was a good LP, it even made me buy the game. If someone is an unfun slog then don't waste time with it, also

Grey Hunter posted:

(...)that fact that a certain date is coming up(...)

means you are automatically forgiven.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nah, it's cool, Herr Jäger. You do enough LPing for multiple men; take on or drop what you want. I will enjoy your other threads. Godspeed.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
No problem, it was still a good read :).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

No problem, it was still a good read :).

yeah, its not that I'm not enjoying it, its just its become such a timesink that I'm not getting to play other games! Also I can see it dragging on well into the WITP Day By Day Imperial Edition LP and impacting something people have been looking forward to for a LONG TIME.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grey Hunter posted:

and that fact that a certain date is coming up

I'm off to sharpen my Katana in preperation for something big.

Are you expecting a child? Congratulations!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Are you expecting a child? Congratulations!

NO! I'm alluding to WITP sequal LP.

Not that the wife isn't angling towards children.....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

NO! I'm alluding to WITP sequal LP.

Not that the wife isn't angling towards children.....

You must pass on your knowledge of, and ability to, Sperg. It has been foretold that a descendant of the Gre(y)at Hunter will emerge from the ranks of regular goons and become SPACOM!

The S is for space! :eng101:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You must pass on your knowledge of, and ability to, Sperg. It has been foretold that a descendant of the Gre(y)at Hunter will emerge from the ranks of regular goons and become SPACOM!

The S is for space! :eng101:

Fatherhood the LP has already been considered for when I lose that particular argument.....

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Fatherhood the LP would work best if it were Goon vs. Goon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HiHo ChiRho posted:

You don't know how wrong you are :eng99:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I was going to say, I don't think that one has much scope for audience participation...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Raising kids isn't that dissimilar to grognardy strategic games: you usually don't exactly know what you're doing except basics, your actions don't really have desired reactions, it requires ungodly amount of time and money and if you're serious about it then forget about sleeping. Source: last 3 months of my life..

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

alex314 posted:

Raising kids isn't that dissimilar to grognardy strategic games: you usually don't exactly know what you're doing except basics, your actions don't really have desired reactions, it requires ungodly amount of time and money and if you're serious about it then forget about sleeping. Source: last 3 months of my life..

I hate kids. with a passion. No one seems to understand how much I hate the screaming, snot ridden disgusting things and keep telling em "it'll be different when its yours."

It will, I won't be able to leave where ever the poop factory is and get on with my life.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

It will, I won't be able to leave where ever the poop factory is and get on with my life.

Adopt a kid that's moved on from diapers :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Adopt a kid that's moved on from diapers :v:

Apparently it has to be genetically related to us.

Also my idea of leaving a copy of a wargame in a room full of orphans to see which one played with it has been vetoed as well.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

Apparently it has to be genetically related to us.

Also my idea of leaving a copy of a wargame in a room full of orphans to see which one played with it has been vetoed as well.

The wargame has to be Axis and Allies. :colbert:

What about hiring a nanny to take care of the child?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I hate kids. with a passion. No one seems to understand how much I hate the screaming, snot ridden disgusting things and keep telling em "it'll be different when its yours."

You can always outsource your paternal duties to some nanny :)
My friend had his kid stay with kid's grandmother for close to 3 years, they only visited on weekends. At first they seemed terrible as parents, now I wish I had that opportunity...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OH GOD I CAN'T EVEN GET AWAY FROM THIS CONVERSATION ON THE INTERNET.

breath

Breath,

I'd rather hypothetical stay hypothetical for now. (Also I'm going to begrudge paying even for nursery, let alone a nanny! ten times more people are going to have to start watching on my youtube channel to pay for that.

Also, I have learned that goons are not good for business. The CM LP has increased my views by over a third, and lead to a REDUCTION in earnings - only by a couple of quid a month, but still, it seems volume is not everything in the land of youtube.

• Locked thread