Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Super Mario RPG forest theme please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

The pokemon songs kinda suck, the electric guitar is way too loud on those songs. N's Castle is really good, though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there a version without everything extended?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im a little upset that they just totally jacked this song from Brawl instead of making a whole new version but since it totally owns I guess its okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BxOtflXhc8

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

everythingWasBees posted:

Is there a version without everything extended?

If there is, someone please post the play list. Just because I want to listen to a song doesn't mean I want to listen to if for 15 minutes straight.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Holy poo poo they got the Animal Crossing songs so right in this.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I haven't really enjoyed a mario kart game since the superb DS version - I found the Wii version lacking.

But I've been having a blast with Mario Kart 8 - is the 3ds version just as good? And does the multiplayer have the option to play tournaments/grand prix with other random people online like MK8?

Now if only they put back the mission mode...

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I wish they'd use the town and battle themes from Earthbound already. We've gone four games now without Porky Means Business? Someone is dropping the ball so hard it's going through the floor.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Narcissus1916 posted:

So I haven't really enjoyed a mario kart game since the superb DS version - I found the Wii version lacking.

But I've been having a blast with Mario Kart 8 - is the 3ds version just as good? And does the multiplayer have the option to play tournaments/grand prix with other random people online like MK8?

Now if only they put back the mission mode...

MK7 will be the most unsatisfying experience ever if you're playing it after MK8.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I played it before playing MK8 and still found it underwhelming as all hell.

Almost anything that makes that game good is in MK8. Besides the Battle mode map style of course.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fantasy Life is almost here. I'm going to make the best swords.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Fantasy Life is almost here. I'm going to make the best swords.

I've been watching this game for a little bit but haven't found much coverage. Think this'll scratch the Animal Crossing itch? My wife and I have been playing our towns for a while now but around 150 hours in, I am starting to get bored. She's more into the designing and crafting poo poo than killing things and put hundreds of hours into crafting in MMOs.

I am hoping to find something we can continue to coop together that we won't feel too committed to playing all the time. Most the information I've found about Fantasy Life has been from Japanese let's plays and even that has been vague.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I like the idea of Fantasy Life but don't want to spend $40 on an unproven game with a small online community. I hope there's a demo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, there's a glitch involving Mario & Luigi that's letting people post any ol' picture to Miiverse, see for yourselves:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073092847604/14866558073092847609

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My main question about Fantasy Life is, can we team up online, or is it just via local wireless?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man it's so hard to not spergrage and go into a massive rant about economy of motion and why manhandling the gently caress out of your controllers is a very stupid and possibly harmful thing to do but I won't. Just going to relax and talk about how I totally forgot about preordering the LE of Curtain Call. The shipping notification came a second ago, I didn't even realize it was out on Tuesday. Seriously can't wait to play that game with buttons.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hekk posted:

I've been watching this game for a little bit but haven't found much coverage. Think this'll scratch the Animal Crossing itch? My wife and I have been playing our towns for a while now but around 150 hours in, I am starting to get bored. She's more into the designing and crafting poo poo than killing things and put hundreds of hours into crafting in MMOs.

I am hoping to find something we can continue to coop together that we won't feel too committed to playing all the time. Most the information I've found about Fantasy Life has been from Japanese let's plays and even that has been vague.
I've watched a bunch of trailers and a very in depth Nintendo Treehouse video on it, and I think you two will enjoy it a lot. There are several classes that are craft only, along with more traditional MMO combat classes. Crafting itself is a minigame, so if you liked Jacksmith or Cooking Mama, you'll probably like making stuff here.

Argue posted:

My main question about Fantasy Life is, can we team up online, or is it just via local wireless?

Yes, you can do online as well as local wireless.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So, there's a glitch involving Mario & Luigi that's letting people post any ol' picture to Miiverse, see for yourselves:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073092847604/14866558073092847609

Looks like they deleted everything, what was being posted?

Edit never kind, derp, click "all posts" and log in. It's memes and stuff, what'd I even expect

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Apparently the admins are deleting the images and banning people. :stare:

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
HOw does this bug work anyway?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

irlZaphod posted:

banning people

Probably just from Miiverse but yeah that's a Nintendo reaction for you.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well if people were posting tits and arse on what is essentially child games console twitter, I don't see how that's a bad reaction.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crawfish posted:

Well if people were posting tits and arse on what is essentially child games console twitter, I don't see how that's a bad reaction.

Oh, for sure. But the only screenshots I saw were from Super Mario Sunshine, weirdly enough.

Of course that doesn't mean that didn't happen :v:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I was reading a thread about the glitch with people posting stuff that was being posted and half of it was Fatal Frame related due to localization begging, and half of it was tits and arse pics.

I never bothered to boot up Miiverse so you could be right about it not happening.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Just got my first 3DS - red/black. I picked up disk copies of tomodachi life, mario 3d land, and luigi's mansion.

I regret getting tomodachi life in disk form because it seems like something I'd always have to have around on the system to pop in on.

I will probably be getting the digital download version of smash brothers for that reason.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Aw man, most of the Kirby songs are just ripped straight from Kirby's Dream Land.

I hope they do a bit better than that for the Wii U version. :(

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've watched a bunch of trailers and a very in depth Nintendo Treehouse video on it, and I think you two will enjoy it a lot. There are several classes that are craft only, along with more traditional MMO combat classes. Crafting itself is a minigame, so if you liked Jacksmith or Cooking Mama, you'll probably like making stuff here.

It's probably worth mentioning though that in Fantasy Life it really isn't feasible to be only one class. Most classes you will never max unless you spend significant amounts of time in others first. For example one of the last stages of Cook requires you to make a recipe that needs a fish you can only catch with a high-level Fisherman. To catch that fish you're probably going to need a decent fishing rod which you'll need to make as a Carpenter. Which will require you to cut down a specific tree as a Lumberjack, and so forth. It's really designed around switching classes frequently and leveling several of them up simultaneously.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I assume Fantasy Life will be pretty drat successful once word of mouth gets around. Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter both did reasonably well, and if I was going to describe the game as anything, it would be some sort of cartoony mix of the two.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
bfagrew

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 27, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Keep sounds interesting in paper. It's basically a clone of old dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder and, more recently, Legend of Grimrock. It's been out in the US for a month or so already, but considering no one mentioned it on the eShop thread or here I imagine no goon has tried it yet.

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjfYSOCNLOQ

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So what do you do in Fantasy Life? Might check the game out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

The Keep sounds interesting in paper. It's basically a clone of old dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder and, more recently, Legend of Grimrock. It's been out in the US for a month or so already, but considering no one mentioned it on the eShop thread or here I imagine no goon has tried it yet.

It only came out last week, actually.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

From appearance alone it looks like Fantasy Life is to Animal Crossing as Rune Factory is to Harvest Moon.

True or false? I really can't tell.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's honestly really hard to explain. Like if we were using Animal Crossing as a measuring point, Tomodachi Life would be the extremely softcore equivalent with very little gameplay and content or much of any sort of demand on the player. Fantasy Life would be like the hardcore equivalent where there is a TON of poo poo to do, equal amounts of content and demands on the player are a gameplay element of sorts that lets you unlock cool stuff like extra resources, pets and the like.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hekk posted:

The Treehouse has done a few playthroughs of Fantasy Life. They have two E3 videos here and here and they gave about half an hour to Fantasy Life the other day before making the Internet lose their minds over the Smash Bros. demo. That one's not up on Nintendo's official YouTube that I can see, but someone's uploaded it here.

For anyone who may not have seen some of the Let's Plays from the Japanese version, Linandko is probably the go-to playlist. The LP is done by an American living in Japan with her boyfriend, so it's all in English, but with the Japanese text on the game. They try to do some translation from time to time, but mostly focus on the gameplay. I think the version they have was the one that came out before the Link expansion, so there are a few things missing. North America and PAL land are getting the Link bits like online multiplayer, but the end-game (I think?) Origin Island zone has been made into day one DLC. No word on the price yet, that I'm aware of.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of material about the game that's been out beyond this. While the Treehouse has given it a fair share of time, I'm not sure if there's really much demand. Definitely a handful of people in this thread are keen on it, though. I'm wondering if it's worth its own thread, as it's coming out in Europe in a couple weeks, and then North America about a month later.

That having been said, I think it'd be a great co-op game for you. My wife and I have pre-ordered with the intention of doing the same thing. There's a rudimentary item sharing system involving a box at the post office, so in theory one of you can get the materials that another one needs, but eventually you're going to want to level every single Life to max anyway. There's tons of crafting, though, nearly half of the Lives are crafters. Tailor, Alchemist, Blacksmith, Carpenter, and Cook.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 15, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

e: nevermind

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I didn't see anything specific about it in the OP but is there an ideal SD card? 32GB Class 10?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm using a 32 GB 10 with no difficulty.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
32GB class 10 that isn't SanDisk brand. People seem to have the most problems with SanDisk for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

From appearance alone it looks like Fantasy Life is to Animal Crossing as Rune Factory is to Harvest Moon.

True or false? I really can't tell.

I don't really think Fantasy Life is all that much like Animal Crossing. It's not as freeform or open-ended, nor does it really have anything time-sensitive other than "X store opens/enemy appears at night." It has a main questline with a bunch of different areas that open up as you proceed through the story, and then a shitload of sidequests--slightly more than 250 ones given from random townspeople, and 70ish for each class, so a little more than 1000 sidequests in total.

Content is gated by the main story though. For example you don't get access to the city of Portport until chapter 3 of the main story, and you're not getting past rank 3 of any class until you do, because all the stuff you need to get to rank 4 is only accessible from the Portport area. The whole game works like this from start to finish, so that you can't actually max any job until you've pretty much finished the main story. (This is also why putting in Origin Island as DLC is bullshit, because the quests for the last few job ranks can only be done on Origin Island)

Because of that Fantasy Life really isn't designed for a "pick one job and play the whole game as it," it more encourages you to play a handful of classes in each chapter before moving on to the next. There's no penalty for swapping classes at all, and any skills you learned in a previous class are accessible in your new one. E.g. if you switch from a Carpenter to a Mercenary you can still make tables almost as well as you did before.

Also since there's been some talk about it--multiplayer is totally pointless, and much less of a big deal than people seem to think. There is very, very little in Fantasy Life that can be done better in a group than can be done solo. Item trading is a pain in the rear end to the point where it's usually easier to just get whatever yourself, and there aren't a lot of tasks that lend themselves to cooperation. Doing the bonus dungeons that open up at the end of the Origin Island storyline as a group is fun since the monsters there are very, very tough. That's pretty much the only time I would bother doing multiplayer in Fantasy Life.

It's a really good game overall. I've played the hell out of it, enough to get God level in all 12 jobs, and I rarely have the attention span to finish a game out that completely. The only 3DS game I've logged more time on is Monster Hunter 4.

• Locked thread