Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The racism's there, but it isn't why they're such assholes who cackle about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The X-man cometh posted:

Easterbrook is also the same judge who thinks Blagojevich should be released, so....

And brother to the lovely sports writer.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Snyder was at a fundraiser at the farmer's market in Flint yesterday. Few hundred protesters showed up for the event.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Snyder was at a fundraiser at the farmer's market in Flint yesterday. Few hundred protesters showed up for the event.

You poor man.

In slightly-different news from Illinois, Quinn has succeeded in pulling a reverse-Dukaukis against Rauner, who accused quinn of employing a murderer. Apparently, in a nation where minorities get locked up much more than non-minorities, pointing out the sitting governor's employment of a former criminal tends to motivate minority turnout more than white folks care.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
code:
New Hampshire Senate - Brown vs. Shaheen CNN/Opinion Research Shaheen 48, Brown 48  Tie
Seems that UNH poll from last month wasn't wrong.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The trend of candidates shooting guns in political ads continues!

The McConnell campaign has responded, "An inexperienced Obama liberal with a gun is no less dangerous for Kentucky families than one without." :stare:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
This is one area where I think Democrats really could win the messaging game. Having the candidate on video knocking down clay pigeons really does undermine the image of Democrats as gun-hating hippies. Her campaign should go one further and challenge McConnell to a clay target match- loser withdraws from the campaign.

I mean since our political discourse is already a stream of wailing and name-calling, why not just embrace it and go with "hey I'm a liberal woman and I can still out-shoot you, you old limp-wristed pussy".

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

This is one area where I think Democrats really could win the messaging game. Having the candidate on video knocking down clay pigeons really does undermine the image of Democrats as gun-hating hippies. Her campaign should go one further and challenge McConnell to a clay target match- loser withdraws from the campaign.

I mean since our political discourse is already a stream of wailing and name-calling, why not just embrace it and go with "hey I'm a liberal woman and I can still out-shoot you, you old limp-wristed pussy".

Even though I'm sure McConnell doesn't actually love guns as much as he says he does, this plan wouldn't work. Any attempt by Democrats to move in on the cheap use of guns as emotional totems will be drowned out by the NRA screeching how this is only part of the Democrats' secret plan to take all the guns.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Silver has a good post up here: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/senate-update-alaska-a-frontier-for-bad-polling/

Essentially, he makes two points. First, Alaska is hard to poll and none of the polls thus far are all that great (small sample size and/or partisan lean). Second, Alaska historically has a large polling error, always in favor of the Democrats. As a result, nobody has any real idea where the Alaska race actually is, but it's a fair bet that if polls are showing it's tied then it's more likely the Republican will win.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

"An inexperienced Obama liberal with a gun is no less dangerous for Kentucky families than one without."

:psyduck:

Her wrists must be too limp to exercise her 2nd amendment rights.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Shear Modulus posted:

Even though I'm sure McConnell doesn't actually love guns as much as he says he does, this plan wouldn't work. Any attempt by Democrats to move in on the cheap use of guns as emotional totems will be drowned out by the NRA screeching how this is only part of the Democrats' secret plan to take all the guns.

But unless there's any sort of gun control constituency in KY that the Dems in turn scares off, this tactic is essentially a push.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

It's hard to pull off something like this without it seeming ridiculous and/or being easily lampooned. Here's an old ad that did it pretty well, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwjo_MNdRT0

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Rick Snyder and Terri Lynn Land refuse to debate Mark Schauer and Gary Peters. Rick because Mark's not a serious candidate even though he's leading in the polls, and Terri can't speak off the cuff to save her life.

So in a private chat on Facebook people are discussing whether Mark Schauer should debate Mark Boyd, who does a fantastic impersonation of Snyder, or have Schauer debate this goddamn thing:

I just told them that is the stupidest idea ever! It would be about as effective as Clint Eastwood debating an empty chair. These people want to kiss Schauer's lead goodbye with a stunt like that? Morons.

why

why would you do this

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Here's an old ad that did it pretty well, though:

Knowing what we know now about Bob Kerrey, the line "25 years ago people in Vietnam hunted me" seems pretty cold blooded.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joementum posted:

Knowing what we know now about Bob Kerrey, the line "25 years ago people in Vietnam hunted me" seems pretty cold blooded.

What do we now know about Bob Kerrey?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rygar201 posted:

That he led a raid into Thanh Phong that killed at least 13 unarmed women and children.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

It's hard to pull off something like this without it seeming ridiculous and/or being easily lampooned. Here's an old ad that did it pretty well, though:

Kinda works, but the counter is going to be that the 2nd Amendment is there to allow you to overthrow the government and/or shoot trespassers on your lawn.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AsInHowe posted:

why

why would you do this

Because the Michigan Democratic party are a bunch of tone-deaf idiots who couldn't sell icewater in Hell. Even during one of their marathons.

They never cease to amaze me with how outright incompetent they are every single time.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rygar201 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Kerrey#Thanh_Phong_raid

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Joementum posted:

That he led a raid into Thanh Phong that killed at least 13 unarmed women and children.

:gop:

I was expecting awful but, once again, there is always more and it's always worse

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Because the Michigan Democratic party are a bunch of tone-deaf idiots who couldn't sell icewater in Hell. Even during one of their marathons.

They never cease to amaze me with how outright incompetent they are every single time.

I know everyone hates the old party boss codgers that used to run things out of county courthouses in state politics, but there's something to be said for their efficiency in holding power.

As soon as you let them fall away to other interests (or until they die off), you're stuck with activists who know poo poo-all, have no connections, and are possibly using tactics that at more "creative" than effective.

In other words, the Self Esteem Generations suck at politics.

90% odds these people read Animal Nuze on Daily Kos.

Also, a guy that lives in New Hampshire who used to live in Massachusetts is catching on per 538. Now just -3!
http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/senate-forecast/

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 15, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Like that's what an AK is for. Who was that supposed to bring in, solidly liberal whites? Good job carefully pandering to them, they were really about to wander off until you went anti-gun.

Grimes' ad is just as dumb. "That's not the way you hold a gun!" It is if you're showing it off at a rally, you dumb coal-huffing ego on legs.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes. Yes, this is true.

Whenever your state party is sending out press releases about how "hilarious" their ads are, instead of how effective....you lose.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The trend of candidates shooting guns in political ads continues!

The McConnell campaign has responded, "An inexperienced Obama liberal with a gun is no less dangerous for Kentucky families than one without." :stare:

By 'inexperienced,' McConnell means one who hasn't hosted an NRA Laser-Shotgun Shoot with $5,000 'Heckler', $10,000 'Benelli', $15,000 'Browning Automatic', $25,000 'Remington', and $50,000 'A. Fox' donation suggested contribution levels.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SedanChair posted:

Grimes' ad is just as dumb. "That's not the way you hold a gun!" It is if you're showing it off at a rally, you dumb coal-huffing ego on legs.

The real question is whether it works or not. I don't care if we have to make ads about politicians looking dumb riding around in tanks if it means we win the seat and bump the senate minority leader out.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

The real question is whether it works or not. I don't care if we have to make ads about politicians looking dumb riding around in tanks if it means we win the seat and bump the senate minority leader out.

But our :qq: PURITY :qq:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Paul MaudDib posted:

Again, this is going to be a really loving weird election season in the midwest. At least two upsets expected in Illinois with major national implications alone.

E:

Rygar201 posted:

Purity only works when it wins.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

I will say, the KY Democratic Party has been a hell of a lot more effective at holding seats than, say...Michigan. Or Ohio. Or Indiana. Or basically everyone around them, except West Virginia, who has been even more effective.

Unless you refuse to accept a cultural compromise to appeal to locals and think the "irresistible nature of progressive ideas" will be what gives Democrats a shot in reddish states. Hell, even in purple states they have to concede stuff to win.

Unfortunately, the supposed progressive new coalition of minorities and young people that support the more liberal options are notoriously lovely at getting out to vote.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan's mall Santa is seriously considering a write-in campaign.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140915/POLITICS/309150086/Bentivolio-seriously-considering-write-campaign

I hope so, then the Republicans can have two really unpopular guys to split the vote.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Like that's what an AK is for. Who was that supposed to bring in, solidly liberal whites? Good job carefully pandering to them, they were really about to wander off until you went anti-gun.

Whether the substance of the ad was advisable is a different point, and one that would likely be hard to assess fairly 20 years later, but it's probably worth remembering that 1994 was Gingrich's wave election year, and Nebraska is a right leaning state.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rygar201 posted:

There's really something to the saw about "democrats fall in love, republicans fall in line". It's incredible just how much Democrats hand-wring about process and means used to do stuff. Both in terms of winning elections and in governing once they're in office. Republicans just care about results.

Sure it would be awesome if everyone stayed on the issues and nobody ran attack ads, but we don't live in that world, and pretending just loses elections.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's really something to the saw about "democrats fall in love, republicans fall in line". It's incredible just how much Democrats hand-wring about process and means used to do stuff. Both in terms of winning elections and in governing once they're in office. Republicans just care about results.

I'm not sure how anyone can say this after the past Congress, which has been marked by complete Republican inability to get results because the tea party cares too much about purity and process.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

As soon as you let them fall away to other interests (or until they die off), you're stuck with activists who know poo poo-all, have no connections, and are possibly using tactics that at more "creative" than effective.

Case in point...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evilweasel posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can say this after the past Congress, which has been marked by complete Republican inability to get results because the tea party cares too much about purity and process.

What specifically did they fail to get? The problem with the Tea Party is they can't answer that question. Beyond "repeal obamacare" and low taxes/deregulation the GOP doesn't actually have any policy positions, it's just reflexive opposition to everything.

Not having control of the senate and the presidency is another big factor in Republican inability to get what they want. It's not trivial to get your policy objectives when you only control 1 out of the 3 organizations in the legislative process, and Democrats seem to have found their balls recently. Probably due to Harry Reid getting fed up and the Blue Dogs being gone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

What specifically did they fail to get? The problem with the Tea Party is they can't answer that question. Beyond "repeal obamacare" and low taxes/deregulation the GOP doesn't actually have any policy positions, it's just reflexive opposition to everything.

Not having control of the senate and the presidency is another big factor in Republican inability to get what they want. It's not trivial to get your policy objectives when you only control 1 out of the 3 organizations in the legislative process, and Democrats seem to have found their balls recently. Probably due to Harry Reid getting fed up and the Blue Dogs being gone.

They faceplanted literally every time Boehner came up with an idea to get something out of the government shutdown until they got nothing and just slunk off. Every single time, he'd be like "well let's pass a bill reopening the government if we get this", like that pipeline everyone's always fighting over, or literally anything else, only to see his caucus torpedo it because it didn't repeal Obamacare. Boehner wouldn't have the votes because the Dems wouldn't vote for it, and the suicide caucus refused it because it wasn't extreme enough.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

evilweasel posted:

They faceplanted literally every time Boehner came up with an idea to get something out of the government shutdown until they got nothing and just slunk off.

Oh, so now $2b for an Ohio River locks project is "getting nothing" for shutting down the government for two weeks. :rolleyes:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I still can't believe how badly McConnell is doing when you consider he managed to score that for Kentucky out of the shitshow that was the shutdown.

Edit: that's not to say he won't win but his polling should be way better

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Imagine a year where Cantor got primaried and McConnell lost to a Democrat. All we'd need after that would be Scalia retiring...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

De Nomolos posted:

Unfortunately, the supposed progressive new coalition of minorities and young people that support the more liberal options are notoriously lovely at getting out to vote.

Demographically, the only minorities that are really bad about voting are Hispanics (and even then that's not that true since about half of adults are foreign born and probably ineligible to vote).

Young people are a different story though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Demographically, the only minorities that are really bad about voting are Hispanics (and even then that's not that true since about half of adults are foreign born and probably ineligible to vote).

Young people are a different story though.

It depends upon the demographic composition of the hispanic grouping. Same for asian, and in certain areas of the country, black.

E: Are you hispanic or are you chicano? Are you Latino or are you Mexican-American? Do you vote like a Cuban American?

• Locked thread