Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

My Norbert dead the way he lived, surrounded by explosions and hails of gun fire. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Yeah, once the final matrix segment is done, everything afterwards is scripted. An hell if I'm letting Norbert get cutscene killed in MY LP. :colbert: There was also no real in game explaination for the computer suddenly exploding, so I added that bit of narrative so it didn't just come out of nowhere.

You just hosed up the bad guy's supercomputer after returning from their minion's volcano lair, I think the final self-destruct sequence is self explanatory.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

I like to think Jake's exploits here were a result of Dog somehow or another jacking up a guy to absurd heights to do his bidding, then taking it back when all that was done.

That's a pretty fair theory, based on the story written about Jake to set up Shadowrun Returns. The TL;DR version is that after saving the Matrix Jake continues to run, but relies more on his cyberware and his team than his totem (who is not terribly happy about this state of affairs), and it ends up costing him to the point where he can't even use magic to light a cigarette.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Jake Armitage is the type of character you might be able to get if you write really well and can create a backstory that your GM can use to justify the character's skills and weave them into the story, particularly if flaws like "has no memory" and "starts with the capacity for lots of skills but is terrible at everything" are roleplayed well. It really helps if you have a cohesive group that can agree on a roleplaying style - I once scrapped a character that was built for roleplaying because the rest of the group ignored everything but stats and missions, and created a replacement character with top stats in everything but intelligence - which technically meant that her skill with grenade launchers should be capped at 3 to start with, but I wrote a backstory to explain why she should be able to spend the extra skill points to bulk up everything to 6. I also gave her some interesting roleplay because screw stats and missions, I wanted to have fun.

Which, I think, means that Jake is the ultimate NPC and the Shadowrunners he hires are the actual PCs in this adventure.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
This whole LP was awesome. Shadowrun is one of my favourite setting concepts, even if actually playing it never looked that fun.

Gidoran
Oct 22, 2013

Cosmic Afro posted:

Aren't initiations very hard to get, as well as very expensive to do? I mean, I'm not too familiar with the actual tabletop rules, but.

It depends. In SR4, Initiation is (3 * newRating) + 10, so 13, 16, 19, etc. You can reduce that with group initiations and ordeals, although certain ordeals can't be repeated/shouldn't be repeated because they gently caress you up majorly. But it is kind of expensive, the average run reward for Karma is supposed to be anywhere from like 3-5 Karma, and runs can take multiple sessions to complete. When I GM I try and give at least a little Karma out at the end of each session, even if it's just for attendance, to keep them from getting pissy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Update ??: Four Years Later.

: "I'm great at dinner parties, too."
: [He cocks his head to one side.] "Be straight with me. You really gonna work for the dead man?"
: "Sam was there when I needed him. I'm going to return the favour."
: "Well that's certainly noble of you. Must've been a good man."
: "He was a real sunovabitch. The best kind."

: "I just need to know one more thing. Where was Sam killed?"
: [Dresden looks up at you intently for a moment before speaking.] "You know, I could do you one better. Why don't you poke around those body lockers in the back and see if you find anything... useful."
: "Umm... okay then. I'll go... do that."

: "If this is just some ploy to make me look at a corpse, I'm going to stuff him into one of these."

: "If this is just some ploy to make me look at a ROTTEN corpse..."

: "...The hell?"

: "Hey kiddo!"

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
That was perfect.

This better means you are doing Shadowrun Returns. I dearly hope that it means so.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Cosmic Afro posted:

That was perfect.

This better means you are doing Shadowrun Returns. I dearly hope that it means so.

Yeeeees. :getin:

This does remind me that I need to finish playing through Dragonfall. Hrm.

FridayNightFights
Feb 17, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Yeeeees. :getin:

This does remind me that I need to finish playing through Dragonfall. Hrm.

The Director's Cut of Dragonfall comes out in two days, I'm waiting for that before finally sitting down and playing it despite having it since release.

Just wanted to echo everyone else and saw thank you for the very enjoyable LP Danaru. I didn't even know there was an SNES version until last year, having grown up on the Genesis version and this let me finally see what it had to offer.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Cosmic Afro posted:

That was perfect.

That one might work better as a streamed experience. Because there are so many possible choices that we'd be stopping forever for the democratic process of thread voting.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Awesome LP of one of my favorite games. Thanks!

Would love to see Shadowrun Returns also! :)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Thank you for doing this lp. You did a great job.

You should also definitely do SR returns next.

FridayNightFights posted:

The Director's Cut of Dragonfall comes out in two days, I'm waiting for that before finally sitting down and playing it despite having it since release.

Just wanted to echo everyone else and saw thank you for the very enjoyable LP Danaru. I didn't even know there was an SNES version until last year, having grown up on the Genesis version and this let me finally see what it had to offer.

:eyepop:

:holy:

:dance:

I was unaware of the existence of this marvelous news. I really need to check my email more often. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to in the days ahead.

Though now I have decide if I want to play Dragonfall again (with the new improvements) or play Wasteland 2 now that its FINALLY coming out.

Edit: I just watched the trailer. I think I'm going to cry tears of pure joy now. Holy crap, I have a lot of sci-fi rpgs to play this week.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SorataYuy posted:

That one might work better as a streamed experience. Because there are so many possible choices that we'd be stopping forever for the democratic process of thread voting.

Not every thread has to be democratic, y'know. Something like SR, I'd have, at most, a vote at the start deciding whether we want to be a good guy, bad guy, smug rear end in a top hat, etc. That, or choose the path the LPer deems most interesting. It's not like the game doesn't lend itself to multiple playthroughs/threads.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not every thread has to be democratic, y'know. Something like SR, I'd have, at most, a vote at the start deciding whether we want to be a good guy, bad guy, smug rear end in a top hat, etc. That, or choose the path the LPer deems most interesting. It's not like the game doesn't lend itself to multiple playthroughs/threads.

Actually, Return kind of doesn't. The campaign is designed in such a way that it doesn't really matter too much what archetype you pick, the experience ends up being very similar for most of the playing time. Dragonfall, on the other hand, managed to avoid these issues.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Dead Man's Switch had the same Issue as NWN1's original campaign had: it ended up being more of a tech demo and gets badly outclassed by the expansion pack.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Shadowrun Returns is 75% off on Steam. Now, what everyone says about SR is true - Dragonfall is way better and with the coming Director's Cut you don't even need the base game to play Dragonfall, but if you're a fan you might want to throw in. It's only a few bucks.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
this gonna be good :munch:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Dead Man's Switch got updated a little bit with the expansion, too, so at least you can do crazy things like "save your game".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Norbert.

If you do SR, make your runner Norbert.

Norbert

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Ugh. I bought shadowrun returns when it first came out and I only got 3/4 through the campaign before I gave up on it. I wanted to like it, I REALLY did...I don't think I can buy the expansion on the hopes it *might* be better.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

something posted:

Ugh. I bought shadowrun returns when it first came out and I only got 3/4 through the campaign before I gave up on it. I wanted to like it, I REALLY did...I don't think I can buy the expansion on the hopes it *might* be better.

Maybe you're seeing reviews I'm not, but the general consensus appears to be that the expansion is definitely better.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

something posted:

Seriously Dragonfall is 100x better. While you still can't gently caress with your party member's equipment, they still upgrade their equipment over time, you're not as heavily railroaded (You get to decide when you go on a mission, how to handle the missions and how many missions you want to take on). The main runners you'll be working with actually have character and generally you're given enough breathing room to make any type of runner.

I went with an ultra charismatic mage who could talk a dragon into letting him borrow a share of his hoard, but a trigger-happy rigger or double-dealing sammy still have things to do and can still beat the game.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

Seriously Dragonfall is 100x better. While you still can't gently caress with your party member's equipment, they still upgrade their equipment over time, you're not as heavily railroaded (You get to decide when you go on a mission, how to handle the missions and how many missions you want to take on). The main runners you'll be working with actually have character and generally you're given enough breathing room to make any type of runner.

I went with an ultra charismatic mage who could talk a dragon into letting him borrow a share of his hoard, but a trigger-happy rigger or double-dealing sammy still have things to do and can still beat the game.

You can actually give them items, at least. I've tended to load them all up with as many Med Kits as money can buy. Makes life much less painful (since magical healing is still limited to "heal the most recent wound".)

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Echoing the sentiment that you should really give Dragonfall a shot even if you were unimpressed with the original campaign. I was actually in the exact same boat; I quit playing DMS roughly two thirds of the way because something about it just felt... off. Still decided to give Dragonfall a shot because I liked the SNES Shadowrun so much I still wanted that Shadowrun itch scratched and Dragonfall is just the ticket.

Also echoing that the LP was all kinds of great and I hope you do Dead Man's Switch too, as I AM curious as to how it ends and seeing it done with your characterizations would be a sweet bonus.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SorataYuy posted:

You can actually give them items, at least. I've tended to load them all up with as many Med Kits as money can buy. Makes life much less painful (since magical healing is still limited to "heal the most recent wound".)

Yeah items, equipment is the sticking point. I can see their logic of not letting players 'rob and dump' runners, especially, but it is frustrating. especially as Blitz's deck and his programs don't update so he's not up to par late game

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
In SR:DMS and DF I usually tend to make my character a Decker just to avoid the terrible NPC deckers, they're not very useful. :v:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

On the 18th Dragonfall becomes standalone as previously mentioned and gets some added stuff to it, of particular interest is the team customization.

Dead Man's Switch feels much more like a solo game, you have the other runners but they're almost just afterthoughts and really stand in the background of your story. I've described it to people as a much more noir game than Dragonfall, which is very much more a party based game and the director's cut is only going to add to that.

Steam posted:

Five All-New Missions: The Director’s Cut features five all-new original missions, including three related directly to the personal stories of your team members. These missions take you to previously-unseen locales - both within the Flux State and beyond - where you’ll have to face challenging enemies and make tough choices in order to help your team members prevail.

Revamped Combat System: The Dragonfall combat system has received a major overhaul. An all-new armor system adds another tactical layer to the experience, while refined cover and damage mechanics emphasize the importance of battlefield positioning. Complementing these improvements is an upgraded AI system which reacts more intelligently and accurately to your actions.

Redesigned Interface: The Dragonfall in-game interface has also been rebuilt. Spells, items and abilities are now much easier to access, while improved combat feedback allows you to fully understand the tactical situation in any given encounter.

Customize Your Team: Guide your team members as they progress in each of their unique roles, choosing between different focus options to grant them new items and abilities. In addition, if you don’t like a team member’s default spell, item or weapon loadout, you can now customize what they bring on each mission.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Steam posted:

Customize Your Team: Guide your team members as they progress in each of their unique roles, choosing between different focus options to grant them new items and abilities. In addition, if you don’t like a team member’s default spell, item or weapon loadout, you can now customize what they bring on each mission.

gently caress.

This is what the game needed.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Looks like its out already. Check your steam libraries guys

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dragonfall gave us an aging punk-rock Shaman with the overwhelming urge to headbutt a Dragon as one of your fellow runners.

It is wonderful. :allears:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Seems Hairbrained Schemes released it early, at least for people who already owned the DLC.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, awesome LP.
Now you need to play the Shadowrun Returns mod version for comparison, haha. Assuming that project hasn't flamed out, anyway.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Rockopolis posted:

Wow, awesome LP.
Now you need to play the Shadowrun Returns mod version for comparison, haha. Assuming that project hasn't flamed out, anyway.

It's still going, it even got a massive update recently.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

citybeatnik posted:

Dragonfall gave us an aging punk-rock Shaman with the overwhelming urge to headbutt a Dragon as one of your fellow runners.

It is wonderful. :allears:

All of your crew have incredibly interesting and distinct personalities, so make sure to talk to all of them whenever you get a chance, even if they tell you to go gently caress yourself when you do.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This is just beautiful.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Well done on the Lp. You should definitely do a follow up one with SR:R.

And definitely play as Norbert.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Thank you for such an awesome thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

You did good.

• Locked thread