Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

triplexpac posted:

Skipped Raw and listened to the Observer instead. Last night's Raw sounded like the most uninspired build to a PPV in a while.

It's like they're not even trying.

They're doing the thing they do a lot where they tell you something is important but they don't MAKE it important and then wonder why things aren't clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

So German goalkeeper Tim Wiese says he has had an offer from WWE

Yesss, I've wanted to see a "German soccer player"-gimmick for so long, go Wiese!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Daniel Bryan posted:

They're doing the thing they do a lot where they tell you something is important but they don't MAKE it important and then wonder why things aren't clicking.

I like that apparently "never sell a beat down the next week" is now company policy. It's like they're determined to eliminate anything that makes for an engaging or entertaining show. RAW and Smackdown are terrible.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Yesss, I've wanted to see a "German soccer player"-gimmick for so long, go Wiese!

Scheduled to only ever do house show tours in Brazil, just stands in the middle of the ring looking smug.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Even with the dubious build I'd be shocked if Cena beats Lesnar. I actually feel like the fact that some here are convinced Cena will win means they're building the match properly. People just want to be reassured that the 'correct' booking will occur and don't realize that storytelling kind of has to happen on both the surface and meta levels in WWE now.

Basically, you have to tease inept booking to work smarks, which is kind of brilliant. Which isn't to say WWE isn't capable of actual inept booking. I definitely have more confidence in any feud Heyman is involved with, as if anyone in the company 'gets it', it's him (and also probably HHH).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 16, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cena could have been in the hospital for the last month and I'd still consider it reasonable in WWE Logic to have him beat Lesnar.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I think Brock's going to retain (although if Cena wins I wouldn't be shocked), I'm curious if they'd then continue the feud to HiaC where this time Cena is REALLY serious.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Basically, you have to tease inept booking to work smarks, which is kind of brilliant. Which isn't to say WWE isn't capable of actual inept booking. I definitely have more confidence in any feud Heyman is involved with, as if anyone in the company 'gets it', it's him (and also probably HHH).

HHH so gets it, I still love the build for his WM match against Bryan. That video package where it's just him beating up a bunch of internet favorites is still incredible.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It's like Reigns beating Orton. They tried to sell it as this big time win for Roman Reigns and .... did it really elevate him or put him at another level?

No. It didn't. If anything I'd argue that Reigns is way less over than he was two months ago in the title picture. Why? BECAUSE BEATING ORTON MEANS NOTHING.

Beating almost anyone on the entire roster means nothing. Outside of Cena or Lesnar (and I'd accept an argument for Triple H), there is almost no one that would matter that you could beat.

And then he beats the next heel down from Orton in Seth like it's nothing on the go home show to the PPV.

Buy the Network, guys.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That's just it, the only heels on the roster that feel like they're worth anything right now are Lesnar and Rusev, and the latter's intelligently been kept away from the top faces.

I'm not really a big fan of the whole "evil Bulgarian Russian vs. heroic flag waving patriotic Americans" schtick, but they've handled that program very well so far and I'm certaily not going to say that there's not a place for it in pro wrestling.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 16, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fantasy booking: Cena loses to Lesnar at NoC, then conflictedly signs on to be a Paul Heyman Guy -- not quite a heel turn, but show that he doubts himself and thinks that's the only way he can stay at the top. Beats some babyfaces as an 'unstoppable' tweener to get himself and Heyman massive heat, then turns on Heyman a la Andre/Heenan after a loss to a mega face like Bryan, Ambrose, or Reigns. The kids are happy because Cena is a good guy again and the smarks are happy because he put over someone they like.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's like Reigns beating Orton. They tried to sell it as this big time win for Roman Reigns and .... did it really elevate him or put him at another level?

No. It didn't. If anything I'd argue that Reigns is way less over than he was two months ago in the title picture. Why? BECAUSE BEATING ORTON MEANS NOTHING.

This is a time when I think local jobbers would be a fun thing. Just have The Authority put Reigns in tons of matches against jobbers, not to be even a remote threat to Reigns (hell, have him kill them Ryback-style), but just to keep his hands off of a major name, so when he gets to a guy like Orton it matters because it's been a wait to see him get his hands on a guy who has been avoiding him at every turn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fantasy booking: Cena loses to Lesnar at NoC, then conflictedly signs on to be a Paul Heyman Guy -- not quite a heel turn, but show that he doubts himself and thinks that's the only way he can stay at the top. Beats some babyfaces as an 'unstoppable' tweener to get himself and Heyman massive smark heat, then turns on Heyman a la Andre after a loss to a mega face like Bryan, Ambrose, or Reigns. The kids are happy because Cena is a good guy again and the smarks are happy because he put over someone they like.

It's an interesting idea which you just know they'd burn through in two weeks.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Daniel Bryan posted:

Nope. He beat a guy who he clearly beat regularly when he was in the shield. It's already been established he can beat Orton.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fantasy booking: Cena loses to Lesnar at NoC, then conflictedly signs on to be a Paul Heyman Guy -- not quite a heel turn, but show that he doubts himself and thinks that's the only way he can stay at the top. Beats some babyfaces as an 'unstoppable' tweener to get himself and Heyman massive heat, then turns on Heyman a la Andre/Heenan after a loss to a mega face like Bryan, Ambrose, or Reigns. The kids are happy because Cena is a good guy again and the smarks are happy because he put over someone they like.

Would never happen.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fibby Boy posted:

Would never happen.

Hence 'fantasy' booking.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Wasn't there supposed to be an NXT thing? I mean admittedly who would want an NXT thing when you've got gold like the Cameron Naomi match or.... Wow I can't even remember what happened last night outside of the Lesnar thing and the Rollins clean loss.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be an NXT thing? I mean admittedly who would want an NXT thing when you've got gold like the Cameron Naomi match or.... Wow I can't even remember what happened last night outside of the Lesnar thing and the Rollins clean loss.

There was a Neville/Zayn vs Breeze/Kidd tag match on least week's Raw to hype Takeover II, is that what you're thinking of?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
WWE is so weird because they're hell-bent on working the smarks instead of building strong characters and providing a compelling product. Would any of us smarks REALLY be upset if they followed angles through to satisfying conclusions instead of using retarded swerves and burying their talent left and right? Stuff like this is why I tuned out for nearly a decade.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I don't think they're trying to do any of that. I honestly, truly believe they want to put on a good product and they're just doing a poor job of that for whatever reason.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If nothing else I believe they sincerely want to get Reigns over as a huge star and the heir apparent to Cena as the face of the company. They handled the Shield perfectly and many people including Dave Meltzer pointed to that as a prime example of them knowing how to get people over when they truly want to.

This kinda blows a hole in that though, as even he hasn't been safe from stupid booking lately.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

when reigns and rollins ended with ten minutes left to go and henry came out my assumption was rollins is finally dead and they had to end the match early

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah listening to the Observer I thought that Henry/Rusev was some dark match thing, but they really put that on as a main event?

Between that and Brie/Stephanie, it's like they're experimenting with putting random crap on the overrun to see if it even matters.

It's weird to book your main event angle based on whenever NFL happens to go to halftime.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm mad because the timing was perfect to have well-built cell match between Ambrose vs Rollins at the HIAC ppv. But now Reigns has already avenged Ambrose and beaten his nemesis for him. I'm beating a dead horse here but it's really, really dumb.

I saw more of Raw last night than I have in a few weeks... was that the first time they've promoted Austin's podcast on air like that? Seems unusual since the show has no actual ties to WWE. And they ain't got no advertising budget in that mug. I guess it was just WWE doing a promotional favor, like with that book Foley released during his TNA run?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

triplexpac posted:

Yeah listening to the Observer I thought that Henry/Rusev was some dark match thing, but they really put that on as a main event?

Between that and Brie/Stephanie, it's like they're experimenting with putting random crap on the overrun to see if it even matters.

It's weird to book your main event angle based on whenever NFL happens to go to halftime.

Well, it was two really popular teams and the game was close. I don't know if they had a choice.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wish there was a way to communicate with WWE that my network sub was basically to watch Nitro and follow along with the Attitude Era Podcast because the current product is one of the least interesting periods I can remember. It's like Bigass Moth said, it seems like they are actively antagonistic to their fanbase. I'm just watching out of habit now, and finding things like Henry that are dim lights in the trade wins parity booking nightmare. They ruined Bray, they ruined Cesaro, they are going to ruin Lesnar Sunday, Punk and Bryan and Steph and HHH don't show up anymore.

Basically wrestling is bad and I don't know if even Dean Ambrose can make it good.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Minidust posted:

I saw more of Raw last night than I have in a few weeks... was that the first time they've promoted Austin's podcast on air like that? Seems unusual since the show has no actual ties to WWE. And they ain't got no advertising budget in that mug. I guess it was just WWE doing a promotional favor, like with that book Foley released during his TNA run?

They plug his and Jericho's podcast every so often.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Minidust posted:

I'm mad because the timing was perfect to have well-built cell match between Ambrose vs Rollins at the HIAC ppv. But now Reigns has already avenged Ambrose and beaten his nemesis for him. I'm beating a dead horse here but it's really, really dumb.

I don't like the Rollins/Reigns thing either but that's not enough to 'avenge' Ambrose in my eyes, to the point where it wouldn't make me excited for an Ambrose/Rollins HIAC. That match would be better than anything they could put together with Reigns in the mix and have enough of a build to actually make a HIAC worth it.

If, and it's a big if, Hell In A Cell is headlined by both Brock/Cena and Rollins/Ambrose, both in Cells, that'd be a fairly strong card IMO.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

achillesforever6 posted:

Hulu is kind of poo poo though, at least from my experience

Someone going to do a pickem prediction thread this week?

Yes

Look on Wednsday, the only free day I have on weeks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

pressedbunny posted:

See, this is why I sincerely care more about the Divas now than anything the guys are doing. God helps us if, at any point in the next year, we have to sit through Cena/Orton MMXVI.

Technically Orton and Cena have fought one-on-one only 21 times.

..lol

edit: 74 times if you count tag teams and battle royals and stuff.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 16, 2014

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the audience is bored with all these old men wrestling. time for nxt to start paying dividends. can neville dance?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Learned two things about CFO$ today

1) There's two of them?
2) The name is pronounced "The CFOs". The word "the" does not appear in their name when written

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

I JUST SAW IT LAST NIGHT, I ALREADY DIDNT MISS IT

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It was great I want to see it again

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It was okay and I really don't need to see it again.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

It was okay and I really don't need to see it again.

I do.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

I don't.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Even with the dubious build I'd be shocked if Cena beats Lesnar. I actually feel like the fact that some here are convinced Cena will win means they're building the match properly. People just want to be reassured that the 'correct' booking will occur and don't realize that storytelling kind of has to happen on both the surface and meta levels in WWE now.

Thinking these rotten-rear end raw shows were a next-level work to obscure the results of the matches on PPV is giving them a LOT of credit.

The only reason I think Cena might win is that someone floated that information to Big Dave and/or the long history of lolcenawins.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Minidust posted:

It must be a cross promotional thing because Steve does a match of the week thing where he was telling to look up matches on YouTube and today's episode is the first time I've heard him say to find it on the network.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Dimebags Brain posted:

This is the same company that had John Cena give the Shield its first ever loss when he eliminated Seth and Dean and had Reings about to submit in under a minute. This is the same company that had John Cena single-handily defeat a stable composed of three monster heels on multiple occasions. This is the company that had Cena beat Brock in his first match back and then no sell the match the very next night. This is the company that has a big shiny red panic button labeled JOHN CENA. I always expect Cena to win even when it flies in the face of all logical booking and storytelling. So don't tell me "there's no chance Cena wins at NoC" because there is always a very large chance that they just press that big shiny red button again.

From a couple of pages back, but this is basically why I've given up on current WWE stuff. No matter what they have going for them or how much momentum a different guy gets behind them, Vince will find a way to basically kill it in order to push Cena instead. It's boring as poo poo because it's been going on for a decade now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://puroresushop.com/collections/featured-products/products/aristrist-aristrist-x-wwe-nwo-t-shirt

Interesting that they have a deal with Chono's company to let them produce cross branded nWo shirts in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's all over, the Authority has won, they're celebrating and drinking and playing music or whatever. Then it happens, his music hits, the triumphant return of the guy everyone has been waiting for.

BEEF MODE

That's my prediction for Night of Champions.

• Locked thread